Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

nightwisher posted:

With a few simple edits, you too can turn boring, underpopulated planets into an ecosystem teeming with things that want to kill you!

poo poo, how do you do this? I'd love to make a planet where fencing and guards actually mean something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I love that Apex vendors accept BigCoin. And the Avian racism against humans plus their title-dropping shanty.

That's weird, every non-hostile Avian my human has run into has been very friendly and sympathetic about the horrific tentacle rape of Earth.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've been finding Avian villages where the merchants don't sell anything lately, is that normal? The screen pops up, but its completely empty for 90% of the merchants, all I can find for sale is food.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

The Avians seem to love my fishperson.

A: Hylotl! Let's cuddle! :3:

edit: just found the following line in the data file for Hylotl villagers: "I saw a Floran the other day. Horrible creatures." :allears:

Nomikos fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 14, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

I'm betting this is the 'Angel Statue' of Starbound, ie an item the devs meant to remove later but never got around to it.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

I'm betting this is the 'Angel Statue' of Starbound, ie an item the devs meant to remove later but never got around to it.

I think it's just an error item. A friend connected to my server before I updated, and all the coal he mined turned into that.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Reason posted:

I've been finding Avian villages where the merchants don't sell anything lately, is that normal? The screen pops up, but its completely empty for 90% of the merchants, all I can find for sale is food.

It's a problem I've been hearing reported elsewhere, and I've had it myself with Floran merchants. It may also be the case with Avians for me as well, but I haven't encountered an Avian village yet in the current patch.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

If I remember right that's the item that replaces things that just don't work right. I had a friend modify his matter manipulator and he hosed up something and it just ended up as that.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Gonna try streaming Tier 1. Seeing if its a bit more balanced out now. A bit smoother of a transition. If anybody's interested...

https://www.twitch.tv/EdwardTank

Nevermind. Technical issues have ruined any capacity for streaming with commentators.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 14, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

MShadowy posted:

It's a problem I've been hearing reported elsewhere, and I've had it myself with Floran merchants. It may also be the case with Avians for me as well, but I haven't encountered an Avian village yet in the current patch.
Can confirm that for the Avians at least. Found a huge town after starting fresh for the current patch, and only half the vendors actually sold stuff.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Every vendor in my entire game except the airship quartermasters only sells food. I thought I was just unlucky, but if it's happening to other people too it's gotta be a bug

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Do gun schematics ever get sold by the merchants? I haven't seen any yet and want to try crafting one to see if I can get anything better than the shotgun I found randomly.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I found a bass guitar and now I can't stop downloading abc files to see what it sounds like. :gonk:

It even matches the outfit I'm wearing. Oh, and have a ship screenshot, I've mostly been using my ship as a mobile crafting and storage station since there's really no room to really show off all the cool stuff you can find, although I have a few trinkets and souvenirs on display. Playing as a human does lead to some funny comments on stuff you examine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BUGS!

-High tier guns aren't vectoring properly due to too high a velocity: http://imgur.com/a/v4Djt
-Plasma guns were actually named [rarity]plasma[type] instead of [rarity][type]_plasma, preventing them from spawning and putting green cubes in their place!

mods

I made mods for gun stats. Hopefully this doesn't explode your install!

Changes drop rate of guns in general: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5kmswcm5c9cyvcm/gundropmod5.zip

Gun stats tweak (also internal name fix): http://www.mediafire.com/download/o67sj2e503b6gw3/guntweakmod2.zip
Old "balanced" version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dx8i62eha56gb8f/guntweakmod1.zip

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 14, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Can anyone recommend a larger Hylotl-themed ship mod?

Eastern style dragon head optional.

Edit: We should probably make a section in the OP for mods.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Florian ssstabbed ssstupid bird-things.
Also she is a closet bookworm.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Blacktoll posted:

poo poo, how do you do this? I'd love to make a planet where fencing and guards actually mean something.

Except more often than not the guards get killed as well, at most two hits.
Losing the only merchant of a village because you arrived there at night isn't really fun, even if it was only produce vendor.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Pro-tip: When activating the reactor that explodes releasing matter blocks, don't be a smart rear end like me and try to block them with a shield. They will disappear!

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

I've mostly been using my ship as a mobile crafting and storage station since there's really no room to really show off all the cool stuff you can find.

Protip: a lot of the furniture you get from butchering liberating settlements can be used for storage.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
So a friend found some weird stuff in the Gamma sector.

59003919 60023494 Gamma Zentalion II, strait below the spawn point.

It is an entire biome...of tiny houses and candle sticks...

I also came across a desert in Sector X which consisted of sand and BONES. Not one or two, but the entire second and third surface material was bone blocks, with bone plants and skull bushes. An entire dead world.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 14, 2013

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Evilreaver posted:

I've seen it show up in a few recipes so it may or may not be an actual item. I've never found one, just seen them in recipes.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Nyyen posted:

I also came across a desert in Sector X which consisted of sand and BONES. Not one or two, but the entire second and third surface material was bone blocks, with bone plants and skull bushes. And entire dead world.

Yeah that's actually a reasonably common biome, it shows up in all sectors.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I found an eye in a chest called a Winking Annoyance, and there's no description set yet and nothing on any of the wikis. Anyone know what they do.

EDIT: I think it's a shield? Maybe? It has no stats.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I found an eye in a chest called a Winking Annoyance, and there's no description set yet and nothing on any of the wikis. Anyone know what they do.

It's a shield.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Accidentally shot my goddamn doctor in the face and can't find another doctor spawner and it's impossible to heal in any semblance of a decent time now arrrrrgh :argh:

^^ Most if not every shield in the game's description is busted, but they work

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Starhawk64 posted:

Oh, and have a ship screenshot, I've mostly been using my ship as a mobile crafting and storage station since there's really no room to really show off all the cool stuff you can find, although I have a few trinkets and souvenirs on display.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to bigger ships. Until then though, at least my Space RV is cozy.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Nyyen posted:

So a friend found some weird stuff in the Gamma sector.

59003919 60023494 Gamma Zentalion II, strait below the spawn point.

It is an entire biome...of tiny houses and candle sticks..

It is even weirder than that, those are not candle sticks, they're tiny little streetlamps. Usually you'll find those in massive tunnels made of that soft, off white, brick material. It weirds me the hell out, anyone else have any of the other races besides Glitch for inspecting the creepy tiny houses?

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Enzer posted:

It is even weirder than that, those are not candle sticks, they're tiny little streetlamps. Usually you'll find those in massive tunnels made of that soft, off white, brick material. It weirds me the hell out, anyone else have any of the other races besides Glitch for inspecting the creepy tiny houses?
code:
  "apexDescription" : "This is the smallest house I've ever seen.",
  "avianDescription" : "A tiny little house.",
  "floranDescription" : "Knock knock. Floran come in.",
  "glitchDescription" : "Considering. I do not believe a Glitch could live here.",
  "humanDescription" : "I can't remember, is this eat me or drink me?",
  "hylotlDescription" : "I wonder where the tiny inhabitants are?",
Floran description is bessst as alwayss.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I picked up a shotgun that shoots out a spread of fireballs from an avian airship. Its not as much dps as my sniper rifle, but the fireballs look cool as hell and I just realized they double as a super handy light source when cave diving. And if I run into an enemy I don't even have to switch equipment, just light 'em up.

Also they cut down little plants on the surface for bonus plant fiber when walking around.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

If we're posting our space housies, here's mine

My entrance chamber is to scare off ne'er-do-wells.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's a dumb question, is there a way to plant more trees? Are there tree... seeds? I haven't ever bothered with farming so I don't know how to do.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Here's a dumb question, is there a way to plant more trees? Are there tree... seeds? I haven't ever bothered with farming so I don't know how to do.

Nope. Clearcut every planet! :black101:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Mr. Glass posted:

Then smash all the tiny houses, open all the doors in the prisons, and slaughter all the ape scientists :black101:

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

Evilreaver posted:

As it happens...that's from every goon's favorite webcomic, Homestuck.

I'm sure it's just a Perfectly Generic Internet Culture Reference.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

UberChair posted:

As it happens...that's from every goon's favorite webcomic, Homestuck.

I'm sure it's just a Perfectly Generic Internet Culture Reference.
I think it's a Perfectly Generic Placeholder Error Item. If you see one, something's gone wrong.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Zereth posted:

I think it's a Perfectly Generic Placeholder Error Item. If you see one, something's gone wrong.

It's both a Homestuck reference AND a placeholder error item!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is in fact an error item. If the game tries to spawn an item and it ends up coming across an error in spawning it for one reason or another (it can't find the item in the file structure, or the code is busted somehow, etc.), it'll spawn a generic block in its place That way the game won't crash on you and it gives modders a way to figure out they screwed up.

Mr. Glass posted:

Aw what? That's super lame.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CJacobs posted:

A way is planned, but not implemented.

Or at least they plan to have a way, I'm not sure what's up there.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

CJacobs posted:

It is in fact an error item. If the game tries to spawn an item and it ends up coming across an error in spawning it for one reason or another (it can't find the item in the file structure, or the code is busted somehow, etc.), it'll spawn a generic block in its place That way the game won't crash on you and it gives modders a way to figure out they screwed up.

Growing plants and planting trees/bushes is coming in a future patch. You'll be able to play Johnny Appleseed before to long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I would expect they'll get around to putting seedlings in at some point, if someone doesn't mod it in first.

What's a good repository for ABC files? I guess since they don't all work properly in the game someone might end up setting up a site with ones that do work.

• Locked thread