Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Somehow I'm IP banned from the Paradox forums and of course the provided link to e-mail someone about it is non-functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Arbitrary Coin posted:

So if someone if independent, of my culture, of my dynasty, my religion but not my de jure vassal, will I be able to vassalize them?

I somehow have a female kid of a Muslim duke who was born in my prisons so she ended up being born an Irish Catholic. I kinda want to marry her to someone of my dynasty and them press her claim once daddy dearest dies and don't want to wait for her to have kids/she'd have a strong claim while her kids would only have weak ones.

If you:
1) are of the same culture
2) are two ranks above them
OR
1) are three ranks above them

Then you should be able to vassalize them in my experience. Distant realm (i.e. not sharing a border, although I'm not sure how it works with islands) and having a different religion (even different branches of the same one) will override those things.

Has anyone played the beta patch much yet? I've only done one game and the Magyars lost their opening invasion against Bulgaria, who remain huge, and the Khazaria changes have prevented them from attacking eastwards. They're now kinda stuck just above/on Crimea doing not very much, which I've never seen before, and was wondering if it was as a result of event troop changes in the patch or if I just had an unusual one-off.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw only byzantines can blind/castrate. It's moddable though, Wiz gave both options for every ruler in CK2+ a while back but he nixed that pretty quickly because the AI tends to go overboard with it.

That can't be right - the AI's process for choosing either is specified in the ai_will_do = {} block for each decision. If the AI was blinding/castrating too much it would have been trivial to add a 0.01 factor or whatever (possibly with a counter-balancing 100.0 factor for Byzantines or whatever).

fake edit: in fact I'm looking at the vanilla files and they already have unconditional 0.2 and 0.4 modifiers, precisely to make the AI less likely to snip stuff.

actual edit: ok, current CK2+ does allow blinding for anyone (but only Byzantine AIs will do it, only if they have bad traits, and only against a pretender) and castration is extended to Muslims, which was the original question I think.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 13, 2013

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
So with the typical Irish start, I had about half of England conquered, and I was waiting for the truce to be over before I'd attack again to conquer some more. So I decided to capture a Scottish province I had a de jure claim on in the meantime. Not much else to do, so I let the game run fairly quickly while I just keep an eye on enemy troops popping up to ambush my retinues. After a while, I win the war, offer peace and decide to survey my realm, only to notice that my vassals have somehow conquered 6 out of the 9 English provinces that I didn't yet own. And thus I became emperor. Hell yes!

Also, my son and primary heir somehow managed to become baron of Monaco at age 11. I have no idea how that happened, I can't remember doing anything that might've set that off.

Nethris
Mar 28, 2010

Arbitrary Coin posted:

So if someone if independent, of my culture, of my dynasty, my religion but not my de jure vassal, will I be able to vassalize them?

I somehow have a female kid of a Muslim duke who was born in my prisons so she ended up being born an Irish Catholic. I kinda want to marry her to someone of my dynasty and them press her claim once daddy dearest dies and don't want to wait for her to have kids/she'd have a strong claim while her kids would only have weak ones.

Hmm, anyone know if vassals that inherit an independent title of higher rank than their current title (but lower than yours) stay vassalized? It seems like they would, in which case giving her first son some count or baron title in your kingdom would potentially work in the long term.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Nethris posted:

Hmm, anyone know if vassals that inherit an independent title of higher rank than their current title (but lower than yours) stay vassalized? It seems like they would, in which case giving her first son some count or baron title in your kingdom would potentially work in the long term.

Yes, they do stay vassalised. But if the duke is someone else's vassal then their liege may take actions to stop themselves losing territory -- and as a Muslim they have tyranny-free revocation of duchies. Although if the duchess isn't a Muslim I don't know if that mechanic still works.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The Saurus posted:

Can muslims castrate their prisoners like byzantines can?

Like others said, yes you can, but you have to be from byzantine culture. I just tested it myself on the court imam. You can also blind them (this is vanilla, without any mods).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Disco Infiva posted:

Like others said, yes you can, but you have to be from byzantine culture. I just tested it myself on the court imam. You can also blind them (this is vanilla, without any mods).

Where would the conditions for that be, if you wanted to mod it?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DStecks posted:

Where would the conditions for that be, if you wanted to mod it?

Crusader Kings II/decisions/vassal_decisions.txt

If you've got Notepad++ (you should!) you can just do a "find in files" search for pretty much whatever you need.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Arbitrary Coin posted:

If you are two ranks higher and a neighbour.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Jolan posted:

So with the typical Irish start, I had about half of England conquered, and I was waiting for the truce to be over before I'd attack again to conquer some more. So I decided to capture a Scottish province I had a de jure claim on in the meantime. Not much else to do, so I let the game run fairly quickly while I just keep an eye on enemy troops popping up to ambush my retinues. After a while, I win the war, offer peace and decide to survey my realm, only to notice that my vassals have somehow conquered 6 out of the 9 English provinces that I didn't yet own. And thus I became emperor. Hell yes!

Also, my son and primary heir somehow managed to become baron of Monaco at age 11. I have no idea how that happened, I can't remember doing anything that might've set that off.

Fun fact: you can cheese the truce timer if you kill the person you just fought against. Your truce only applies to the king of England in this case rather than the whole realm of England.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
You can vassalize someone by asking politely under these conditions:

None of these are true:
  • you and the independent ruler are from different religious groups. A Sunni Muslim could vassalize a Shiite or another Sunni, but never any Christian or pagan.
  • you or the indy consider the other a heretic. A Catholic could not vassalize a Lollard or vice versa, but both of them would get along with both a mainstream or heretical Orthodox Christian.
  • the indy is one rank below you or higher
  • you're not his de jure liege and you don't share a land border

No more than two of these is true:
  • he just plain doesn't like you. At a high enough level, this can ruin things on its own.
  • you are militarily weaker than he is. If you are significantly weaker than he is, this can also ruin things on its own, but this is very unlikely.
  • he is of a different culture. Culture groups don't matter here.
  • he is exactly two ranks below you.
  • you are not his de jure liege.

VVV - You're right. I meant two anyway.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 13, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Well, you can definitely, absolutely vassalize a count who isn't a de jure vassal and is two ranks below you, even though that fails two of the things in the bottom of your list. Go load up the 867 start as the king of Italy and you can instantly vassalize the count of Capua without a hitch. Opinion and military power are far more important than the other three in that list.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DrSunshine posted:

For example, I just fixed some bugs in Sonendar.

Sonendar 1.05.5

Mister Adequate, I've been chugging away at the Hungry Ones event. I still can't get it to work!! Even though I copied it directly from the Seljuk event, changing provinces and religions and cultures of course, it still won't spawn anything in the province it's supposed to! It's better than earlier, though, at least folks won't be randomly getting doomstacks, haha! I also made some tweaks and improvements here and there.

I'll probably be playing some Sonendar tonight so if I do I'll see if I can help track things down for you and report back. Having a supercomputer is handy for running through the timescale quickly to check these things. Remember I'm no modding expert so don't expert miracles v: But I'll help if I can.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So, after playing pagans, Muslims, Byzantines and now Jews pretty exclusively since The Old Gods came out, I am once again playing a Catholic ruler, this time in Wales. I have formed the kingdom of Wales and thought about using the pope's high opinion of me (+100) to beg for some money. The only problem is that he apparently doesn't even consider his opinion of me because I have free investiture. So I try to change to papal investiture, only to discover that I cannot change it. I'm on my second king (or better Queen), and I have not yet raised crown authority, it is still low. But I cannot change investiture laws. Why is that? Do I have to wait for a specific event since I used the new earlier start date?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 13, 2013

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Do I have to wait for a specific event since I used the new earlier start date?

I think this is right, at least it happened to me with my Old Gods start. At around 1066, the Pope should ask you to switch to Papal Investiture.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Game files say it's unlocked at year 1000. Probably just as well as the money is probably scaled for much later in the game than the 9th century

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Thanks for the answer guys. Sadly, despite saying that my king was held in Bagdad, his captor was the Ghazi captain without any holdings, meaning I couldn't free myself through sieges - I was hoping to pull off an awesome thousand mile rescue mission. I eventually just cheated away some traits he hated temporarily so he'd ransom me.

I've just seen my first absolutely insanely overpowered host army in this game. A landless Waldenian Arpad with a weak claim managed to raise 150 ships and 20000 men to press his claim on the Byzantine empire. I've no clue what kind of crazy poo poo is gonna happen once he wins. Are hosts meant to scale according to the strength of the country they're attacking to give the defender a fighting chance?

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 14, 2013

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

It took five tries to kill her. And the killer divulged my name. :negative:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Bishop Rodan posted:

Shouldn't mess with Hungary :colbert:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bishop Rodan posted:

Is there some cap on the effect of plot %? It seems like when you have a value that high it should be pretty much guaranteed successful and very quickly.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I just got The Old Gods and started a game as Norway. I now control three holy sites and want to reform the Norse faith, but only have 34% moral authority. What's a good way to raise moral authority? I suppose I can start grabbing land from my Suomenusko neighbors, but I wondered if there was a faster way. It would be nice to get out of Gavelkind before Haraldr Fairhair dies.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mountaineer posted:

I just got The Old Gods and started a game as Norway. I now control three holy sites and want to reform the Norse faith, but only have 34% moral authority. What's a good way to raise moral authority? I suppose I can start grabbing land from my Suomenusko neighbors, but I wondered if there was a faster way. It would be nice to get out of Gavelkind before Haraldr Fairhair dies.

As a Norseman, your best bet is to conquer a shitload of land. County Conquest CBs give +1 moral authority each for 20 years; declare separate wars on every independent county in Ireland and you're looking at a good 7, 8 points right there. If you can manage it, try and grab the remaining two Holy Sites too; they're 10 points apiece. If you can luck in to having another (Christian) country declare a Holy War on you and win that war, that's a few points too. Basically keep conquering poo poo, harder, faster, better, more.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is there some cap on the effect of plot %? It seems like when you have a value that high it should be pretty much guaranteed successful and very quickly.

You ever hear the saying "Too many cooks spoil the broth?"

What do these 'conspiracies' of 120 people even look like?

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I now call to order the second meeting of the 'Kill Euphemia Arpa' social club. Please, everyone take a seat, we've got a lot of business to get through tonight..."

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I now call to order the second meeting of the 'Kill Euphemia Arpa' social club. Please, everyone take a seat, we've got a lot of business to get through tonight..."

"Is you taking notes on a criminal fuckin conspiracy?"

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

Another way to raise Norse moral authority is with raiding. You get a small boost when you siege and loot churches and temples help by other religions. If you do enough raiding it can add up.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Fun fact: you can cheese the truce timer if you kill the person you just fought against. Your truce only applies to the king of England in this case rather than the whole realm of England.

Yeah, I read that somewhere, but I couldn't get my plot power on him above 20% and 'diplomatic' assassination also had terrible odds. I managed to arrange a marriage between one of his granddaughters and my son, then started murdering all other heirs to get the titles into my dynasty, but the engagement got broken off somehow before my plan could come to fruition. But then my vassals did their thing so in the end, it all sort of worked out.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

edit: putting this at the top of my post because I want someone to comment on it: I just started an Old Gods game with the beta patch and Orthodoxy was immediately declared a Catholic Heresy (in fact it got "supplanted" by Catholicism). Is this normal? I can't imagine that it is and am thinking it might me some kind of glitch related to me going from my Roman Empire game where Catholicism was an Orthodox Heresy.

The beta patch fixes the flag for this event, making it possible to actually get the achievment now. Glad I didn't take this game to the end date so I could just fire it up and let it pop. Better late than never.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 14, 2013

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Does the AI get some bonus to army movement speed, and if so is there any way to mod that out? Seems like the AI always manages to get out of the province I'm moving to before me leaving me to chase them over half Europe.

Also thanks for help with modding in female councilors earlier, that one worked.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Avalerion posted:

Does the AI get some bonus to army movement speed, and if so is there any way to mod that out? Seems like the AI always manages to get out of the province I'm moving to before me leaving me to chase them over half Europe.
No, they just pick the province with the shortest travel time. It's really not that hard to work around with some planning.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Knuc If U Buck posted:

edit: putting this at the top of my post because I want someone to comment on it: I just started an Old Gods game with the beta patch and Orthodoxy was immediately declared a Catholic Heresy (in fact it got "supplanted" by Catholicism). Is this normal? I can't imagine that it is and am thinking it might me some kind of glitch related to me going from my Roman Empire game where Catholicism was an Orthodox Heresy.

When I load a game where I already mended the Schism, then all other games I load will also have the Schism mended. If I restart the game then I can load other saves without these strange results. Similar when I loaded my big Scandinavia game as the Fylkir, and then load another game where Norse should be unreformed, there are suddenly reformed Norse characters. So I guess don't load games with big religious changes and then start another game. Restart CK2 and try again. Also, if you load a pre-patch game this can screw with all kind of things as well.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I believe the schism bug has been fixed in the beta patch, which is being rolled out within a week or so

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Knuc If U Buck posted:

The beta patch fixes the flag for this event, making it possible to actually get the achievment now. Glad I didn't take this game to the end date so I could just fire it up and let it pop. Better late than never.

I'm playing the beta patch with sunset invasion and this event is firing every two loving weeks. I've tried to look at the event code but I can't find what the hell the problem is. The aztecs defeated flag does appear to be set in the autosave and the title of mexikha is set to active = no.
Is this a beta problem and should I just roll back to the non-beta patch?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Allyn posted:

I believe the schism bug has been fixed in the beta patch, which is being rolled out within a week or so

I'm playing with the beta patch.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I'm playing with the beta patch.

Did you load any pre-patch games before playing a new game with the beta patch? If so, restart it and start a new game, see if it fixes the issue.

I have a question: I have a claim on the duchy of the Isles. But it is not held by anybody, and when I try to form it it says "This title cannot be created normally." How do I form it? I looked into the 1337 start, and nobody held the duchy since 844, so before the earliest start date. What do I do with the claim, then?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'm working on getting the hang of this game. Right now, I've invited several people to my court who have claims to neighboring counties and petty kingdoms. If I press one of the claims and win the war, that person in my court gains the title, right? Is there any point in invading when I just have to hand the title off to someone else when I'm done?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm working on getting the hang of this game. Right now, I've invited several people to my court who have claims to neighboring counties and petty kingdoms. If I press one of the claims and win the war, that person in my court gains the title, right? Is there any point in invading when I just have to hand the title off to someone else when I'm done?
If the title has a lower rank than yours they become your vassal.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Hambilderberglar posted:

OK, so since I have a petty kingdom, I should be looking for county claims then.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Parallax Scroll posted:

Hambilderberglar posted:

Also, if the person whose claim you're backing is already your vassal, they'll stay your vassal. Ditto if they happen to be members of your bloodline.
In any case, you've probably weakened a neighbor, which is nice. But I don't usually press claims unless I know they'll be sticking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Gumby posted:

Also, if the person whose claim you're backing is already your vassal, they'll stay your vassal. Ditto if they happen to be members of your bloodline.
In any case, you've probably weakened a neighbor, which is nice. But I don't usually press claims unless I know they'll be sticking around.

So I could give the guy a city first and then invade?

• Locked thread