Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

mikeraskol posted:

Can I do this in the LFFL league, except for like weeks 3-8. My team came together decently, just way too late :smith:.

And mine's falling apart see:

HiddenReplaced posted:

I expected to win, but not by 100 points...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Athenry posted:

And mine's falling apart see:

Also, worth mentioning that this is the first year where the actual Duke football team had a better record than Southern Ivy.

So proud.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

the actual Duke football team had a better record than Southern Ivy
such great heights

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

such great heights

I've been #1 the most weeks and I would have trounced you had you not pussed out two days before the season started.

That being said, I'm still going out first round of playoffs, just like every other year.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Maybe Peyton will put up two hundred points and I'll win the league today :unsmith:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Question about law school goons.

What are the thoughts on Iowa? It's ranked 26 in the country so not terrific in the grand scheme of things and it's very Midwest on its employment statistics so I'm aware if its weaknesses.

That said, this morning I found out they were giving me a full ride scholarship in return for 10 hours per week of work in 2L and 3L.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I'm not familiar with Iowa specifically, but I went to another well-ranked but mostly regional law school. If you actually want to be a lawyer and you're getting a good scholarship and you want to practice in that school's region, then you're good to go. Still, don't overlook the fact that this path basically commits you to being a lawyer.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Pook Good Mook posted:

Question about law school goons.

What are the thoughts on Iowa? It's ranked 26 in the country so not terrific in the grand scheme of things and it's very Midwest on its employment statistics so I'm aware if its weaknesses.

That said, this morning I found out they were giving me a full ride scholarship in return for 10 hours per week of work in 2L and 3L.

Enjoy shitlaw. I'll see you there.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
We hire retards from Iowa. As long as they're highly ranked in their class. So I say go for it. What's the worst you have to lose, three years of your life to end up loving shoveling over priced coffee?

And think about if it works out. For $200-300k a year, you get to be anally raped by people who work in the business world, only putting in 80-100 hours a week. Reviewing boring loving paperwork the business people are smart enough to ignore and make you haggle over.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 13, 2013

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

SlyFrog posted:

Reviewing boring loving paperwork

How much boring poo poo does everyone look at every week anyway?

I had a 300 page invalidation brief come in this week and wanted to kill myself, but patenting is barely law so I wonder how much time you folks spend eyes glazed over.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

I've been #1 the most weeks and I would have trounced you had you not pussed out two days before the season started.
we'll never know, cupcake ;-*

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Maybe Peyton will put up two hundred points and I'll win the league today :unsmith:
:cry:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Zo posted:

I have to get an answer filed on Monday that is about 500 pages long. The complaint was 520 pages of pure hell and I thought about ending it all in the middle of it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zo posted:

I had a 300 page invalidation brief come in this week and wanted to kill myself, but patenting is barely law so I wonder how much time you folks spend eyes glazed over.

I have had dreams about spreadsheets recently. I've had much more pleasant nightmares.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Solano County California is hiring entry level public defenders.
It is on their website and government jobs. Come get a pension!

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Fun fact: before law school I was medication free and now I am on Strattera, Silenor, and as of today, Zoloft.

Don't go to law school kids. I'm looking at you mr. "lol hows iowa".

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

insanityv2 posted:

Fun fact: before law school I was medication free and now I am on Strattera, Silenor, and as of today, Zoloft.

Don't go to law school kids. I'm looking at you mr. "lol hows iowa".

I had several friends with 20/20 vision and better before law school who now wear heavy duty glasses. One was even an AF pilot; not anymore. Law school makes you go blind faster than masturbating ever could.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Even if you're not blind, you want to go blind as an excuse for not reading things.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

tau posted:

I had several friends with 20/20 vision and better before law school who now wear heavy duty glasses. One was even an AF pilot; not anymore. Law school makes you go blind faster than masturbating ever could.
My optometrist correctly guessed that I had gone through law school based on nothing more than my age and the rapid change in my prescription.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

mikeraskol posted:

I have to get an answer filed on Monday that is about 500 pages long. The complaint was 520 pages of pure hell and I thought about ending it all in the middle of it.

Jesus christ for what claims?

Zo posted:

I had to read about 250 pages of passive agressive discovery sniping spread over 5-10 motions for protective order, strike, compel, etc. In one of them, the attorney attached this 20 page email chain where the attorneys were being such petulant babies I actually lolled.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 14, 2013

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SlyFrog posted:

We hire retards from Iowa. As long as they're highly ranked in their class. So I say go for it. What's the worst you have to lose, three years of your life to end up loving shoveling over priced coffee?

And think about if it works out. For $200-300k a year, you get to be anally raped by people who work in the business world, only putting in 80-100 hours a week. Reviewing boring loving paperwork the business people are smart enough to ignore and make you haggle over.

When I saw a dollar figure whose low end was 3 times what I make now with almost 20 years experience, I was about to feel pretty worthless. Then I saw everything posted after.

(I was blind as a bat well before law school)

nm posted:

Solano County California is hiring entry level public defenders.
It is on their website and government jobs. Come get a pension!
There's an appellate PD spot opening up in Oklahoma. Pension included.

VVVV
Phil Moscowitz?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 14, 2013

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Any Tulane alums here? Friend looking for feedback on the school and I know nothing about it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Tulane is ok I guess.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
A client attempted to assault one of our receptionists today. gently caress work comp sucks.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Real answer.

Good: awesome city, good facilities, decent faculty, excellent reputation locally in New Orleans. Good admiralty program if you want to practice admiralty law (you don't). Great criminal clinic if you want to practice criminal law, but soul-crushing criminal justice system in Louisiana and NOLA. Good reputation regionally (e.g Houston) and actually sends people all over the country. Pretty laid back professional community with good lifestyle appreciation.

Bad: expensive school and smaller alumni network outside of southeastern Louisiana (though no real reason to go elsewhere in Louisiana unless you are from there). Smaller legal market limited largely to oil & gas exploration, admiralty/shipping both brown and blue water, insurance, and energy sectors. Kind of insular legal community with people who care more about which high school you went to over anything else. Salaries in legal market are depressed though cost of living is certainly not.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Good admiralty program if you want to practice admiralty law (you don't).

ummmm how else will you learn that, as a word-controlled creature, a FREE man is OUTSIDE the sovereignty of admiralty laws and the uniform commercial code/????

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

ummmm how else will you learn that, as a word-controlled creature, a FREE man is OUTSIDE the sovereignty of admiralty laws and the uniform commercial code/????

I have a fringed flag in my office. British Accredited Registry rules.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Paging Sulcrist - holler atcha boy sometime on our firm's internal messaging deal.

E; Assuming you came back and didn't clerk, i might be wrong, been out of the loop around these parts.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Omerta posted:

Jesus christ for what claims?

Securities laws, federal and state level. There's like 16 different defendants, mortgage-backed securities case.

The worst part is knowing how much of your life you are spending on this answer. An answer that will be filed and no one will read or give a gently caress about unless two months down the road they wonder if there is an affirmative defense in there they need, it isn't, then you get fired.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 14, 2013

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

sigmachiev posted:

Paging Sulcrist - holler atcha boy sometime on our firm's internal messaging deal.

E; Assuming you came back and didn't clerk, i might be wrong, been out of the loop around these parts.

No I'm there. I just always forget to log into IM. I'll try Monday.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

Securities laws, federal and state level. There's like 16 different defendants, mortgage-backed securities case.

The worst part is knowing how much of your life you are spending on this answer. An answer that will be filed and no one will read or give a gently caress about unless two months down the road they wonder if there is an affirmative defense in there they need, it isn't, then you get fired.

The worst part is when the case settles the next day.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tau posted:

loving this. :negative:

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Kalman posted:

The worst part is when the case settles the next day.

No, that's the best part. As a partner here in the office says, the best transactions are the ones where your client spends $500,000k in fees and then both sides amicably decide not to do the deal. Because you get paid, and no one critically examines your documents and sues you for malpractice six months after closing when one party wants to sue the other.

This, on the other hand, is the worst part:

quote:

unless two months down the road they wonder if there is an affirmative defense in there they need, it isn't, then you get fired.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I work entirely in commercial litigation. Do transactional firms often deal with malpractice issues arising out of deals they negotiated? Because we see some righteously terrible contracts on a regular basis... Just wondering how far up the chain liability travels.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Save me jeebus posted:

A client attempted to assault one of our receptionists today. gently caress work comp sucks.

I office with a work comp firm. I've bounced motherfuckers before on several occasions.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

mikeraskol posted:

Lmao that sucks. I don't think I've seen a complaint go more than 30 pages.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Omerta posted:

Lmao that sucks. I don't think I've seen a complaint go more than 30 pages.

Never dealt with sovereign citizens, eh? :v:

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

the milk machine posted:

I work entirely in commercial litigation. Do transactional firms often deal with malpractice issues arising out of deals they negotiated? Because we see some righteously terrible contracts on a regular basis... Just wondering how far up the chain liability travels.

Yes, they do. I have been fortunate so far, but half the time I think "malpractice" really just means your number came up on a deal that went bad.

It's always easy in hindsight to ask why something wasn't documented, etc. Those people who accuse generally weren't on the calls with the client when the client said, "Stop making this loving take so long, we don't need all that poo poo, I just want to get this done." Or they were on the call, and they just lie about it, because you know, the attorney should have known better and anything bad that happens really should be the attorney's fault, I mean what else am I paying him for if not to make sure the result is what I want.

Aside, of course, from the impossibility of guessing in advance everything that could go wrong and documenting for it.

Of course, this is what leads to the 100 page document with 97 pages of "boilerplate" that large firms use to order lunch.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I hear that. A large portion of the problems we seem to run into arise from business-side people fiddling with language and clauses on their own anyway.

And yeah, we get the "just get it done already" plenty in litigation too, but we basically never hear "malpractice." Practicing law, man. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I never hear malpractice. Instead I live in mortal fear of clients, you can't leave out an affirmative defense because later if another joint defendant has it, the client starts asking why, goes to the most senior partner whose case it is, he goes to the actual partner dealing with the issue asking why he is getting poo poo from the client and what are you doing to my case, and then that partner goes to you and says why are you loving up and then I don't sleep at night as I dream of living in a cardboard box in Central Park.