Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Sorry to go back to burgerchat but I think Habit deserves at least a mention. Not life altering or anything, but pretty good; better quality than In-n-out.

http://www.habitburger.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Family Values posted:

Sorry to go back to burgerchat but I think Habit deserves at least a mention. Not life altering or anything, but pretty good; better quality than In-n-out.

I was just going to recommend the habit to the dude above who was looking for a good burger in concord. Only ever had the one in Sunnyvale but it's drat good. Way better than five guys but in that similar style.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Family Values posted:

There's one opening really close to where I live, so I'll have to check that out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

I was just going to recommend the habit to the dude above who was looking for a good burger in concord. Only ever had the one in Sunnyvale but it's drat good. Way better than five guys but in that similar style.

Looks like the closest one to Concord is in Walnut Creek at Treat & N. Main. I'll have to check it out, thanks.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FRINGE posted:

I cant remember where I call the mental cut-off now, but theres a point going up the 101 where its suddenly "alright Im in the prison towns now" and its creepy. Gonzales, Soledad, then up to Salinas.

I feel like there's been a medium security penetentiary in or outside every California city I've ever visited.
Still, loving Louisiana. Jesus H. Christ. I was going to write some about California, but reading about Louisiana makes it difficult. Lest you ever, ever start thinking optimistically about the USA and its people, just read a bit more about the prison situation. It's got to be the preeminent crisis of our day, and it makes me ready to throw up.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/05/louisiana_is_the_worlds_prison.html

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

agarjogger posted:

I feel like there's been a medium security penetentiary in or outside every California city I've ever visited.
Still, loving Louisiana. Jesus H. Christ. I was going to write some about California, but reading about Louisiana makes it difficult. Lest you ever, ever start thinking optimistically about the USA and its people, just read a bit more about the prison situation. It's got to be the preeminent crisis of our day, and it makes me ready to throw up.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/05/louisiana_is_the_worlds_prison.html
Im pretty sure "Turned Out" was set in Louisiana. Dont feel like watching it enough to double check though tonight. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p1zgtEyDd0

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Family Values posted:

The Habit is pretty drat good for a cheap-ish burger chain, and I wouldn't be surprised if they become real competition for In&Out in the next couple years. For everyone who's about to go there on this thread's recommendation: make sure you get the onion rings! That's what The Habit is known for (at least around Santa Barbara).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Umami Burger gets some much deserved love as well, but it ain't got poo poo on Hopscotch.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Illuminado posted:

So if we were to draw up this map, what would it look like?

Southern Oregon
North Coast
Sacramento Valley
Sierra Nevada
The Bay Area
LA & Friends
Riverside-Ber'dino

It's the Central Valley, which is made up of the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys.

FRINGE posted:

There is only one "The Valley" and anyone named "Ron Jeremy" should know this. :colbert:

gently caress the San Fernando Valley It's literally 1% the size of the Central Valley, and considerably less important economically. The only people who think it matters live there and have to pretend to themselves they're happy.

edit: The Central Valley is actually the largest valley in the world, if you don't count the Rift Valley (which some people don't since it was formed by plate tectonics rather than erosion).

Kenning fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 14, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Technically every valley was formed by plate tectonics. :colbert:

obliviums
Oct 2, 2013

The only exercise I get is poopin'

Do you fat-shaming try-hards really know how good ice cream is?

Mitsuo posted:

I also always thought "The City" was too presumptuous.

"S.F." is the most common among my family and friends.

Coming from the North Bay, SF was The City and Marin was The County.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

Kenning posted:

gently caress the San Fernando Valley It's literally 1% the size of the Central Valley, and considerably less important economically.

While I enjoy eating food the SF Valley has a pretty important economy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, 1.7 million people live in the San Fernando Valley, it isn't a joke. That said, I am glad my contact with the valley is minimal as possible nowadays since I don't live in LA anymore.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Illuminado posted:

So if we were to draw up this map, what would it look like?

Southern Oregon
North Coast
Sacramento Valley
Sierra Nevada
The Bay Area
LA & Friends
Riverside-Ber'dino

Heehee! I like this map-- "The Bay Area" is like a tiny California embedded in the bigger California! :3:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Casual Yogurt posted:

While I enjoy eating food the SF Valley has a pretty important economy.

It also has another important export the rest of the country enjoys especially the conservative states.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

etalian posted:

It also has another important export the rest of the country enjoys especially the conservative states.

A multibillion dollar industry at that :pervert:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

etalian posted:

It's a pretty balanced trading relationship. We take fresh new starry eyes imports from the conservative states and process them appropriately, sell the processed goods, then discard the emotional hulks to the Central Valley.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

It's a pretty balanced trading relationship. We take fresh new starry eyes imports from the conservative states and process them appropriately, sell the processed goods, then discard the emotional hulks to the Central Valley.

Name/post combination. :psyduck:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Oh yes. I would love to see this chaos.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/19/tim-draper-six-californias-secede-silicon-valley-ballot-initiative/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
A viral marketing jackass who is "an advocate for entrepreneurs and free markets" wants to manipulate his way into having his own State?

Shocking.

He dropped 24 million to try and force public money to be given to private schools. He seems pretty awesome.
http://ballotpedia.org/Timothy_C._Draper
http://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_38,_School_Vouchers_%282000%29

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

There's been a pretty consistent effort to divert CA state money to inferior charter schools for a while now: man I wish NSFWcorp was still around. Efforts to bring in charter schools have included threatening undocumented immigrants with the INS to guarantee support.

edit: that is not the article I meant to link. Fixing now.

edit 2: Link fixed!

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 20, 2013

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Haha, there's a hand-drawn map there that's different from the colored logo...

Orange county is in a different state from LA County.
The North Bay is separate from San Francisco.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ha ha the state including Los Angeles has a pretty sweet population density gradient as you go up the 101.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yes, let's take a state with two Democratic senators and break it up into 6 states with 8 Republican and 4 Democratic senators. This is a really good plan that is sure to get a lot of support from Democrats (who hold all state and federal offices and supermajorities in both legislative chambers).

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FMguru posted:

Yes, let's take a state with two Democratic senators and break it up into 6 states with 8 Republican and 4 Democratic senators. This is a really good plan that is sure to get a lot of support from Democrats (who hold all state and federal offices and supermajorities in both legislative chambers).

You're saying we can't gerrymander the Democrats into powerlessness with district boundaries OR state boundaries? Now that's just unfair :mad:.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Hog Obituary posted:

Orange county is in a different state from LA County.
Any realistic map would have a guarded barrier built around OC. :madmax:

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
It's kind of amazing how every single political idea coming out of the tech world is irredeemably awful. I'm just not sure I trust these people to design my mousepads any longer. Where did they go so loving wrong.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

agarjogger posted:

It's kind of amazing how every single political idea coming out of the tech world is irredeemably awful. I'm just not sure I trust these people to design my mousepads any longer. Where did they go so loving wrong.

Its like you need something more than engineering and business skills to effectively run societies.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

agarjogger posted:

"I made money in a tech bubble therefore all poor people are lazy" combined with living in an actual social bubble makes people into "libertarians" and other kinds of "i am my own island" assholes pretty quickly.

Just beat their rear end and steal their poo poo then they suddenly like police and taxes again.

Also right wing CRAZY people write good stories sometimes. (This can help with making money in marketing and games .. like that idiot Draper.) Enders Game was a good story. 300 and Sin City were good stories. They were all crafted in the brain of an unbalanced right wing loon. When they write fiction its great! When they think their brains are good for understanding reality... not so great.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
no guys you see it took brains and skill to invest in Apple Computer

that means they should be in charge now

FRINGE posted:

Also right wing CRAZY people write good stories sometimes. (This can help with making money in marketing and games .. like that idiot Draper.) Enders Game was a good story.
Actually, the good parts of Ender's Game were written nearly forty years ago. And Orson Scott Card's first published novel, written around the same time, was about a future society that depends on castratoes, and features pederasty and explicit homosexual encounters between teenage boys. Don't make the mistake of assuming that OSC in 2013 is the same as OSC in 1977.

It's really surprising to read the original short story of "Ender's Game" and realize how much of the book is complete bullshit that exists only to set up a backstory for "Speaker For The Dead".

Miss-Bomarc fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 21, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Miss-Bomarc posted:

It's really surprising to read the original short story of "Ender's Game" and realize how much of the book is complete bullshit that exists only to set up a backstory for "Speaker For The Dead".
I liked the three that followed Enders Game personally. They showed some effort at examining some social and psychological issues that were worth the story when I was younger.

OSC apparently hates the hippy bullshit he wrote though. (I have a memory(?) of him not liking some of the more thoughtful messages from the three following EG, but the internet is awash in stuff from the movie and OMG homophobe (rightly AFAIK) and I cant find it.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also his oldest novels he had editors who insisted on changing things. I read a novel OSC published which contained a giant novella that was basically him bitching about how heavy-handed editors had hosed this old story too much and now he finally had the power to publish his own version and it was way better for that, and probably everyone who messed with his stories was just anti-mormon bigots.

Something along those lines, I read it like 15 years ago so I don't really remember the details. But basically it's kind of like how the original Star Wars was good, but mostly because George Lucas was still surrounded by competent people who were willing to tell him no when his ideas were crap, and his ex-wife was some kind of genius editor.

So what I'm getting at is, Enders Game is decent in part because it was competently edited.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Also his oldest novels he had editors who insisted on changing things. I read a novel OSC published which contained a giant novella that was basically him bitching about how heavy-handed editors had hosed this old story too much and now he finally had the power to publish his own version and it was way better for that, and probably everyone who messed with his stories was just anti-mormon bigots.
Was it that AMERICA RAWR KILL ALL TRAITOR LIBS thing?

I have never met anyone that admitted to actually reading that. Kind of like Coulters "Treason".

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FRINGE posted:

"I made money in a tech bubble therefore all poor people are lazy" combined with living in an actual social bubble makes people into "libertarians" and other kinds of "i am my own island" assholes pretty quickly.

Just beat their rear end and steal their poo poo then they suddenly like police and taxes again.

My dream job is to hire a few ships' worth of Somalian pirates, go to international waters off the coast of California and raid rich seasteading libertarian idiots.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Was it that AMERICA RAWR KILL ALL TRAITOR LIBS thing?

I have never met anyone that admitted to actually reading that. Kind of like Coulters "Treason".

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I skimmed his bibliography on wikipedia, but nothing jumped out as being the book I remember reading, so who the gently caress knows.

I read a lot of books as a teenager without any idea what public opinion might be about them. During summer vacation I'd check out 7 books a week from the library (the most they'd allow) and read them in four or five days. During the school year I mostly read novels instead of doing homework. This was before the Web, a time when people didn't access reviews and commentary about every drat thing they read or used or saw as a matter of reflex. A whole different world.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

During the school year I mostly read novels instead of doing homework. This was before the Web
Same. I got so much more "real" reading done before I broke down and joined the internetati.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Any realistic map would have a guarded barrier built around OC. :madmax:

We must push Palos Verdes into the sea!

undertool
Mar 3, 2009

All Of The Dicks posted:

Paso Robles/Templeton/Atascadero/Morro Bay/Pismo are kinda redneck but are also pretty nice resort towns with vineyards/fancy food/nice hotels/fresh seafood/beaches to enjoy for people who live in Bakersfield and Fresno.

The only thing I really don't like about living in Paso Robles are the people who come here from Bakersfield and Fresno.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Sorry for being late to Concord chat, but el molino has awesome tacos/burritos and slow hand BBQ(pleasant hill) is probably the gold standard for ribs and pulled pork in the bay area. On that note, I heard Smokehouse 10 in Martinez is supposed to be great; anyone been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

undertool posted:

The only thing I really don't like about living in Paso Robles are the people who come here from Bakersfield and Fresno.

Everyone who lives off of tourism hates tourists. Allah (pbuh) has said it will be so.

• Locked thread