Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
My 100hp daily deal was Spiderman Blue. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mine was a Thor Yellow. I spent 100 HP and got back 125 ISO.

In terms of simple numbers, I can say I made a profit.

It makes me feel better.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Is there any conceivable reason to take Moonstone purple past 3? I think that may be the worst skill in the entire game.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Eddain posted:

My 100hp daily deal was Spiderman Blue. :shobon:

So was mine!

For bagman.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

Is there any conceivable reason to take Moonstone purple past 3? I think that may be the worst skill in the entire game.
It's better than taking her black past 3, and it's not so bad now that it can do damage.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Decided to buy the Doom and Villains 10-Pack on a whim and got the following.

Doom Blue
Doom Black
Moonstone Black
Moonstone Red
Moonstone Purple x2
Ragnarok Red
Bullseye Black
Bullseye Purple x2

Not that bad of a haul, I think. The two Dooms and Rag are worth more than the pack itself, especially since it's my first Doom Black and Rag. Probably the last time I spend cash on covers though. I don't want a repeat of my PAD problems.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.

Mons Hubris posted:

I disagree. It's the only purple (I think) that does a burst of direct damage and the tile swap, while situational, has gotten me out of a few jams against high-level HAMMER assholes if I think about the best place to put it. I get that there are better skills but I find it really useful to be able to backhand a guy for 800 damage or create 5-in-a-row or cross match situation. Also, like the guy said, her black is garbage and the 4-5 ranks don't improve it very much at all.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Utter Amnesty posted:

I disagree. It's the only purple (I think) that does a burst of direct damage and the tile swap, while situational, has gotten me out of a few jams against high-level HAMMER assholes if I think about the best place to put it. I get that there are better skills but I find it really useful to be able to backhand a guy for 800 damage or create 5-in-a-row or cross match situation. Also, like the guy said, her black is garbage and the 4-5 ranks don't improve it very much at all.

Also, when you're playing any mode against other players' teams, you can get some pretty decent damage out of it in a lot of situations. I feel like it did a lot of work for me in the recent bad is good where I top fived (ran out of med packs in the last hour to lock down 1)

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.

Karnegal posted:

Also, when you're playing any mode against other players' teams, you can get some pretty decent damage out of it in a lot of situations. I feel like it did a lot of work for me in the recent bad is good where I top fived (ran out of med packs in the last hour to lock down 1)

Yeah my level 50+ Moonstone carried me to third in my BiG with a low level venom and a placeholder Daken so I'm full Moonstone apologist. I probably would have been second too if I didn't fall asleep in my chair watching Fast and the Furious 6. Still pretty great to be leveling Spidey.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
So I went to sleep with 2 hours to go in BiG with the top 6 being within 30 points of each other. Everyone was just jumping around and being stupid so I just said gently caress it and see where I come in the morning.

Walked away with 2nd place, my Spidey is now 2/5/3 :smuggo:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Moonstone's original purple skill (got to try it out with the Hunt bug), force swapping 3 gems was worse. But even then I abused the potential to make match 5s and had some fun cascades.

Her current purple is pretty decent in against countdown gems. Sure as Grey Widow or Rag's you can blow all of them up in one go, but you can usually guarantee an extra turn by using her purple. Which for a situational skill is pretty great.

If you want a worse situational, see Loki's Trickery skill. Literally useless if you're not fighting someone who generates protect/damage gems.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I just realized there's no way I'll be able to get any of the Punisher covers. I have to work the whole day on Sunday.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Extra long poop break.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, on the subject of Moonstone Purple, guess what I got for my daily deal. :v:

Also, it doesn't matter how often I see the introduction of Devil Dinosaur, it makes me laugh every single time.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

SynthOrange posted:

Extra long poop break.

I have to hide in the bathroom for the last ten minutes of some tourneys since they end at 9am and I start work at 8:30. Hasn't failed me yet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On the down side, hemorrhoids.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I don't actually sit on the toilet. I couldn't fathom stinkpalming my own phone. I did have a friend who got a new phone for Christmas and just two days later dropped it in the shitter while he was using it. Cautionary tale.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So while you pros are playing for the top 2, here I am trying to stay within the top 400 on the Hunt missions so I can get that Heroic token. Alaska I was in the 300's last night but woke up at 462. Unacceptable except for the fact that the only mission I can do in there is the Grey Widow repeatable which is obviously outside my reach. Or is it?

28widow/22thor/22hawkeye. I'm now in the 200's and hopefully I don't have to run it again because that was 99% luck.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Gallow posted:

I don't actually sit on the toilet. I couldn't fathom stinkpalming my own phone. I did have a friend who got a new phone for Christmas and just two days later dropped it in the shitter while he was using it. Cautionary tale.

It sounds like you're doing this wrong. You probably shouldn't use your phone to wipe your rear end. In the future, when it does come time to wipe, put the phone away before you do it. That will prevent you from getting any more poo poo on your phone. Hope this helps.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So while you pros are playing for the top 2, here I am trying to stay within the top 400 on the Hunt missions so I can get that Heroic token. Alaska I was in the 300's last night but woke up at 462. Unacceptable except for the fact that the only mission I can do in there is the Grey Widow repeatable which is obviously outside my reach. Or is it?

28widow/22thor/22hawkeye. I'm now in the 200's and hopefully I don't have to run it again because that was 99% luck.

You should be fine in the 200s, unless all of a sudden people are breaking out their super teams to beat the Invisible Woman mission. Rubberbanding is exponential(ly decaying), so I might be SOL breaking out of 400 into the heroic token band.

I did Alaska Grey Widow twice, and the last time got me from 426 to 422 :)

Abraham Lincoln
Feb 12, 2008
If you are a racist I will attack you with the North
Right now I'm playing a very targeted Hunt. I want to be 50-100 in the overall Hunt bracket to get all Wolverine covers - I figure better to level him up (currently 3/3/1) than get a Punisher I'll never have a use for.

I'm also trying to run all of the Hunt side quest missions to get as much ISO, hp, and heroic tokens that I can.

It's going to be a tricky balance to not mess this up over the next 24 hours. Wish me luck

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Wow. I'm running the Dr. Doom event with a lv51 2/3 and the Summon Demons power is... really really damaging. Combined with my Wolvie's feral claws, I'm doing +1000 damage per turn. Unless those strike tiles get matched out real quickly it's essentially a game-ender.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

My Doom is 5/0 so if anything lives through Thor and Wolverine long enough to get those blacks and there's open red tiles, game over. I had one round where I landed all six strike tiles and they did like 3k damage!

EDIT: I must've had some Strike tiles out and a cascade when I did that to bump the damage up. I just did it again and got over 1500 damage by themselves. Still nothing to sneeze at.

Gallow fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 14, 2013

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I didn't start the BiG tournament until yesterday afternoon and ran up to 1k points for the HP. I was in first by almost 500 points. Six hours later I ended up in second place and finished off my Spidey.

In somewhat related news I'm at 101 health packs. If there's a cap, it's pretty high.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I swear to god the AI cheats. I just saw the drat thing "randomly" give itself over 20 pinks at once as a part of a 8 crit chain.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I swear to god the AI cheats. I just saw the drat thing "randomly" give itself over 20 pinks at once as a part of a 8 crit chain.

This happens pretty rarely for me, but its a bit crazy when it does.

Also, I realized that boosts are capped at 10, so whatever boosts you have at 10 deserve to be used.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

A.o.D. posted:

I lost that Grey Widow match once because Ragnarok's first move, a weak little blue match, cascaded for an hour and then every single enemy turn included 2-3 of their abilities going off. I got 0 enjoyment out of that game - the entire time I was thinking "what cheating bullshit", even though I know I have the same opportunity for lucky matches. I don't give a gently caress about fair - this is a game built for me to have fun, and that poo poo is the antithesis of fun. For the last few Puzzle Quests, the devs have gotten these complaints, and I don't know why they wouldn't just put some limits down on how many extra matches and cascades the AI can receive. No one wants to stand there for two minutes while their phone beeps at them, and no one likes losing a battle they should have won because some random 3-match gives the computer another 5-of-a-kind, an L-shape, 3 more crits, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Whenever I see the AI get a super cascade I have a little chuckle to myself and then try again because I'm not a petulant child that can't handle losing a video game to an unthinking computer program.

But maybe that's just me?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Apparently the 250 reward for Doom PVP is a heroic token. That's pretty neat, though I'm super burnt out from the Dark Avengers leaderboards :)

Edit:

:v: my pal got a Red Rags from the token.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 14, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

These AI comments take me back to playing the first Puzzle Quest, which I'm sure ate up more than half of my lifetime play on my Nintendo DS. :v:

So I just started yesterday and I'm still chewing through the Juggernaut/Venom paths. Something I'm curious about from reading the OP is that it says only to use boosts for progression. That would mean something like if you're about to unlock a prize, right?

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

iastudent posted:

These AI comments take me back to playing the first Puzzle Quest, which I'm sure ate up more than half of my lifetime play on my Nintendo DS. :v:

So I just started yesterday and I'm still chewing through the Juggernaut/Venom paths. Something I'm curious about from reading the OP is that it says only to use boosts for progression. That would mean something like if you're about to unlock a prize, right?

Prizes are awarded pretty frequently. Basically after your initial beginning stint you'll have missions that you have on farm and you generally don't want to waste your boosts on those unless you've got 10 of them then you might as well use some because you can't get more. The ones that boost all the colors are especially valuable and cost more ISO to replenish so use those on the hardest fights.

Honestly though you'll pick up quite a few as you play so don't worry too much. The exception to this is the 150% damage one you get during the event which costs a lot of HP to buy so use that on a mega difficult challenge.

edit: Great avatar!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alaska is secured and got my token. Classic Spider-Man Blue :woop:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Can you get mission rewards you've already gotten once?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

iastudent posted:

Can you get mission rewards you've already gotten once?
You mean like if you lose points then regain them? No.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Alaska is secured and got my token. Classic Spider-Man Blue :woop:
I just got mine, it looks like they are regular heroic tokens for the last three events. I got Black Widow (Original) Black, which I didn't have yet. Certainly better than Thor/Hawkeye.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 14, 2013

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Fritzler posted:

I just got mine, it looks like they are regular heroic tokens for the last three events. I got Black Widow (Original) Black, which I didn't have yet. Certainly better than Thor/Hawkeye.

Yeah I didn't realize it but they're regular heroics now. Wanted some more Thor tokens, but its a good concession for the people sick of recycling those :)

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Fritzler posted:

You mean like if you lose points then regain them? No.

I mean the story missions.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

iastudent posted:

Usually no. With the Hunt Event though, individual chapters (or whatever they're called) reset ~every 2 days, and with each new go-through you can get them a second time.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

iastudent posted:

When you select the mission it shows you a cycle of the four rewards you can receive. You get one when you first beat it then subsequently there's a chance (someone in this thread said a 50% chance but sometimes it feels like less) one of the others. Once you get all 4 rewards, you just get a token 20 ISO.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Game down for anyone else?

I had a mid-battle crash and the usual Loading: 1% ... message afterwards. It got partway through the load, reset to 1%, and then went to Comm Link Disrupted even though the Internet was working fine for other apps. It's been doing that ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Yeah, the name of the game early on is score covers. Get yourself through to get the standard tokens (sell the bogus ones like Hawkeye, juggs, Yelena) and hero points for roster space. Your ultimate goal in the beginning is to collect ISO and level the poo poo out of ironman, then you won't need boosts for prologue missions. Don't level evenly. Thor is the next ISO dump, then wolverine, in that order. If you get lucky and/or events allow you to skip to wolverine, as in you have more covers for him and therefore a higher level cap, then go for it. At 5 green covers you can use his power after one simple green match and you get a strike tile that makes the next match do more damage, etc, etc.