Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Is anyone here going to the NYC Comic Con? I got a Kickstarter E-mail saying that Atomic Robo is going to be there, and was wondering if anyone would want to fill up the thread with photo/story goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

I remember when we used to publish comic books. Just barely.

After an incredibly frustrating few months we're happy to report that Diamond will let us sell the sixth and final issue of the "Billion Dollar Plot" volume of Real Science Adventures and Atomic Robo and the Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur #3 on November 20th. The fourth and fifth issue of that series will follow as shortly after that as possible since they've been finished for ages.

Sorry for the delay, it won't happen again.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I'm unclear how Red 5 factors into this as the report on atomic-robo.com said that Team Robo missed submitting the files directly to the printer, and therefore that delay cascaded to Diamond, etc. I thought it went Team Robo -> Red 5 -> Printer -> Diamond -> LCS.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Nystral posted:

I'm unclear how Red 5 factors into this as the report on atomic-robo.com said that Team Robo missed submitting the files directly to the printer, and therefore that delay cascaded to Diamond, etc. I thought it went Team Robo -> Red 5 -> Printer -> Diamond -> LCS.
If Red 5 doesn't have files to turn in to printer, then there's a problem.

And then it took a while to get the files done. And longer to get back in line with the printer. And then longer to get Diamond to solicit the book after giving retailers some time to adjust their orders based on it already being late.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

I remember when we used to publish comic books. Just barely.

After an incredibly frustrating few months we're happy to report that Diamond will let us sell the sixth and final issue of the "Billion Dollar Plot" volume of Real Science Adventures and Atomic Robo and the Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur #3 on November 20th. The fourth and fifth issue of that series will follow as shortly after that as possible since they've been finished for ages.

Sorry for the delay, it won't happen again.

I've been in the middle of saving for a house and killed off ALL spending since August.... so Savage Sword Number 3 hitting now (When we're just about to close) has actually worked out fantastic for me. I'll just keep thinking that you guys didn't want me to suffer with the decision of not buying Atomic Robo right when it hit!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

KGBAgent185 posted:

I've been in the middle of saving for a house and killed off ALL spending since August.... so Savage Sword Number 3 hitting now (When we're just about to close) has actually worked out fantastic for me. I'll just keep thinking that you guys didn't want me to suffer with the decision of not buying Atomic Robo right when it hit!
Glad it worked out for someone!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

So, who wants to talk about Issue 3?

And Jenkins' obvious dislike for digital television? And not a single wounded intern. He's getting better as CEO.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

I liked* it.

Scott and our letterer got their comps for #4 and #5 this week, so I'm not sure what that says about when we can expect to see them on sale. Due to the delay on #3, we were able to print the next two at the same time. So, either the printer just sent us comps at the same time as well, or there are plans to release them back-to-back.

*minor bias.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Is the 8/11 thing being referenced in this latest vol something that was in another robo vol? It's news to me and I'm worried I missed out on some ACTION SCIENCE somewhere along the way :ohdear:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Tivac posted:

Is the 8/11 thing being referenced in this latest vol something that was in another robo vol? It's news to me and I'm worried I missed out on some ACTION SCIENCE somewhere along the way :ohdear:

Volume 6, the Ghost of Station X, is what you're looking for. It's an awesome arc, so I won't spoil anything.

Also, just got my kickstarter e-mail with the sketches for the book. That Bad Dino one was :3:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

J.A.B.C. posted:

Volume 6, the Ghost of Station X, is what you're looking for. It's an awesome arc, so I won't spoil anything.

Huh, I definitely started that one, and was pretty sure I read it all. Sounds like its time for a re-read, thanks!

Tivac fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 30, 2013

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Tivac posted:

Huh, I definitely started that one, and was pretty sure I read it all. Sounds like its time for a re-read, thanks!
"8/11" is not referred to in Vol 6, it's what the 24hr alarmist media has decided to call the events/fallout of Vol 6 after the fact to make sure the message of "Robo bad man" keeps getting repeated.

We use it the first time on Page 1 of Vol 8 #1, and explain its connection to Hashima there, but it's been a LONG TIME since that issue came out so you can't be blamed for forgetting.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Woo-hoo! Just filled out my survey from Kickstarter, so make sure to check your email fellow recruits.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

unl33t posted:

Woo-hoo! Just filled out my survey from Kickstarter, so make sure to check your email fellow recruits.

Ditto! Can't wait for the results, it's going to be great. I'm giving one of my shirts to a friend, I just hope I chose the better one (Robo) to keep for myself.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

unl33t posted:

Dr. **** *******, Ph.D, Field Media Relations; MS, Violent Science.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I did not get one :(

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Dr. **** *******, Ph.D, Field Media Relations; MS, Violent Science.

You know, I was assuming a "Dr." or some other bit would be thrown in by default but suddenly I'm scared my assumptions have made an rear end out of me. :ohdear:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm just looking forward to getting my Tesladyne coffee mug. Everything else is wonderful gravy.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You know, I was assuming a "Dr." or some other bit would be thrown in by default but suddenly I'm scared my assumptions have made an rear end out of me. :ohdear:
That wasn't the plan, but now I'm thinkin' about it...

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Hyperactive posted:

Gonna end up with a lot of Dr. Dr.'s in there. Doctor doctors. With degrees in doctology.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

I'm not here to tell you your business or anything, but...

Jedi425 posted:

Gonna end up with a lot of Dr. Dr.'s in there. Doctor doctors. With degrees in doctology.

This seems like it'd be a fantastic outcome of that.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Jedi425 posted:

Minor in Women's Studies.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Scott.... or Brian.... I unfortunately don't recall at this point whom was the goon among you.

I got the backer email to update my address, but if you recall, I'm the guy who made the mistake of picking the wrong $30 tier.

It doesn't appear that I have an "Update Address" field for you guys.

Don't know if I should email the contact for Kickstarter with an updated (The same) address? Or a PM?

Sorry again bud. :( LOVE THE BOOKS THOUGH!!!

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh
The new address comes in when they send out the survey (shirt sizes etc).

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Comixology is doing a big giveaway of comics at their Tumblr: http://comixology.tumblr.com/geekstagegiveaway

Today they just put up the digital only release Atomic Robo: Two Fisted Tales in a bundle. If you don't already have it, you need to jump on this asap!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is the cover to Isaac Asimov's "Robots in time: Predator"

Seems somehow.. familiar.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was just sitting here wondering when the next issue of Volume 8 comes out and turns out it did months ago. My comic shop apparently didn't put it into my pullbox and I didn't notice. Is there a good place to get a physical copy of it?

Edit: This isn't the first time it's happened. I just normally catch it quicker. Diamond likes to short them copies.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know this technically isn't comic news, but The Atomic Robo RPG went up for preorder today. It's $35, full-color, and while the book itself won't be out until July you get the PDF now.

In celebration, Dr. Dinosaur took over Evil Hat's Twitter page.

I'm going through the PDF now; one thing I really like is that it's clearly geared towards people who've never RPG'd before, and that it uses pages from the comic to explain how the system works and some of the more abstract game concepts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Do you know when/if Violent Science is coming back to the U.S. appstore? I bought it when it came out and had trouble making it run. The iPod has had a few updates since then so I figured I would try downloading it again and maybe it would work and now it's gone.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been out of the comics loop since my local comic shop closed (well, the good one at least) and I now realized I've missed a buttload of Robo. Time to play catch up!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been out of the comics loop since my local comic shop closed (well, the good one at least) and I now realized I've missed a buttload of Robo. Time to play catch up!

It's definitely worth it. Savage Sword was a fun read, and Knights of the Golden Circle is turning out to be some good fun.

This is just an idea I had, but I think that Dr. Dinosaur embodies the stereotype of the 'mad scientist'. It's just something to think about considering timevolution-fueled Futuresaurus Rex, the time-bending Time Bomb and the CRYSTALS! THE GLORIOUS CRYSTALS! just give off that vibe to me.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
This is the best comic I've read in a long time. I went nuts and bought everything on Comixology and read through in over the last couple days, and now I'm working my way back through. (Favorite thing I've caught on the re-read: Charles Fort and Robo fighting the big nasty as fish rain from the sky.)

Nothing to do but wait for the new stuff and evangelize about the book to everyone I know!

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Just wanted to stick my head in and say I'm loving the Golden Circle arc so far, and I can't wait to see how it ends. Even though Time Travel is impossible.

Robo's pretty much the only comic I'm buying as it comes out these days. :v:

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jedi425 posted:

Just wanted to stick my head in and say I'm loving the Golden Circle arc so far, and I can't wait to see how it ends. Even though Time Travel is impossible.

Robo's pretty much the only comic I'm buying as it comes out these days. :v:

Young Helsingard is smug as all gently caress and I love it.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

August 10 is the deadline for shipping addresses. If you haven't updated it yet, now is the time folks.

Kind of pumped for my survival guide.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I emailed back the contact for Kickstarter about my stupid situation with my address. :(

(Picking the digital reward by mistake instead of physical)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm looking forward to the Field Guide but not nearly as much as I am the coffee mug. Gonna have science with my breakfast.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Backers, check your e-mails! Something wonderful has come with update 30!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

J.A.B.C. posted:

Backers, check your e-mails! Something wonderful has come with update 30!

I saw it, but I refuse to read the guide until it's in my hands in all of its hardback glory.

The backgrounds are awesome, but I'm not sure I want to displace Dr. Doom and Silver Surfer from their well-earned spot. Some hard choices to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, thanks to the sale on Comixology last month, I've gone from having seen bits and bobs of Robo, to having devoured most of the series thus far (waiting for the trade/collection on Golden Circle and haven't nabbed the Two-Fisted Tales one-shot). Brief first impressions are that I'm torn between vol.3, 5 and 7 as my favourites. 3 is probably the most consistently funny Lovecraftian horror story I've seen (HP himself and Sagan were both GOLD in that regard), 5 has a really sweet romance and fatherhood theme going for it (both Jack and Tesla are just trying to protect their children, physically and emotionally, before realising they're growing up), and the panel of Helen dry-heaving after realising how old her robo-boyfriend really is is frigging hysterical and oddly charming, in that it punctures the star-crossed lovers thing in a way that makes the relationship feel more honest and real.

And 7 does a fantastic job building up the She-Devils as both a group and as individual characters, such that some of the more tragic emotional beats land properly. It's a little sad that I can probably name more of them than I can the women at Tesladyne, though. I know there's the red haired gal and the stockier Asian lady that usually goes on field missions, but their names are barely used, and the downside of them being 'regular' parts of Robo's life, means we spend less time with them in focus. To be fair, this goes for most of the crew, but Bernie (nebbishly rocks guy), Vik (imaginary physics dude), Gerry (hippie-looking nuke guy), Martin & Louis (evil computer dorks) and Jenkins (Jenkins) all have distinct bits of focus that at least let me tie a name and a trait to the character designs.

Also picked up Real Science Adventures, and I think there's still a couple of backups missing, as I saw references on other pages to stories I don't think were collected in any of the digital trades. But the Tesla & co, and Sparrow stories were great pulpy adventure stuff, though I'm torn between adoring Guruhiru's work on the zeppelin story, and lamenting them not getting to draw Robo himself.

(PS Dr Dinosaur rules, but only in small doses)

• Locked thread