Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Martytoof posted:

So far my only knock on the car is that the stock headrest isn't very comfortable. I'd love something that fits into the crook of my neck instead of something that pushes on the top of my head. No big deal.

It's that way for whiplash prevention. Fancy ones like Volvos or whatever automatically move forward in the event of a crash or something. It's for 2008 or so safety regs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah ok, that makes sense.

Anyway, I guess my rain sensor does work because out of nowhere on the highway today my wipers just started wigging out and I couldn't get them to stop (without turning off Auto mode, I mean). There's probably still something I need to adjust :q:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Where is the power steering pump on the '10-'13 Mazda 3s? I'm hearing a lot of whining that sounds to be coming from the very front right corner (from the driver's seat) of the engine compartment. At first I thought it might be due to the cold, but it doesn't seem to stop once the engine warms up, and whines more when turning (hence my uneducated guess). Also getting some squeaking from the brakes, although that, at least, seems to only happen due to the cold. (Just hit 20k miles so these seem a bit odd to me).

SiB
May 6, 2005

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Where is the power steering pump on the '10-'13 Mazda 3s? I'm hearing a lot of whining that sounds to be coming from the very front right corner (from the driver's seat) of the engine compartment. At first I thought it might be due to the cold, but it doesn't seem to stop once the engine warms up, and whines more when turning (hence my uneducated guess). Also getting some squeaking from the brakes, although that, at least, seems to only happen due to the cold. (Just hit 20k miles so these seem a bit odd to me).

The electric/hydraulic power steering pump is in fact below and behind the right headlight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cross post!

Got my new fuel pump internals from Corksport

got a free t-shirt, a neat little box with a flash drive and this neat thing on the installation sleeve

They continue to have the best customer service, I'm just blown away. They called to make sure my package arrived.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

SiB posted:

The electric/hydraulic power steering pump is in fact below and behind the right headlight.

Has anyone else run into this? I just haven't had a good chance/spot to try and look at anything.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So far I've hit up 3 dealers and I can't get more than 1k off MSRP for a 2014 Mazda 3 GT with the tech and leather packages. Is there any way I can squeeze a bit more discount out of them or is this the best I can do?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A butterfly knife might help.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The 2014 Mazda3 is a brand new model, with no factory incentives because they're moving every one they build. They're highly rated and in demand. You're not going to get a Ford-style discount there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
1k off sounds pretty good actually.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

The 2014 Mazda3 is a brand new model, with no factory incentives because they're moving every one they build. They're highly rated and in demand. You're not going to get a Ford-style discount there.

This is truth right here. I managed to get $1750 off a fully loaded 2014 CX-5. Honda was offering over $5k off MSRP for the CRV.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

This is truth right here. I managed to get $1750 off a fully loaded 2014 CX-5.
How are you liking it now that you're almost 6 weeks in?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How are you liking it now that you're almost 6 weeks in?

Very disappointed in overall fit and finish. All the tech features feel "half assed" and don't work quite right. Brakes are very noisy and late to grab. Just before full stop and right after releasing they make a horrible noise. Nav is horrific and the USB iPod interface is a train wreck. Heated seats don't get hot enough and have "hot spots" rather than being warm everywhere. Seats aren't supportive enough for long drives and are too short (legs hang too far off). Auto wipers don't start when you'd expect them to and run far longer than necessary. Headlights don't come on until it's much too dark.

I could go on. I'm not surprised, really. $30k for this many gizmos should have sent up a red flag.

On the plus side it looks and handles much better than the other stuff in the class. Could use more power though (plenty of torque, but gutless at highway speeds).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Heated seats don't get hot enough and have "hot spots" rather than being warm everywhere.... Auto wipers don't start when you'd expect them to and run far longer than necessary. Headlights don't come up until it's much too dark.

I could go on. I'm not surprised, really. $30k for this many gizmos should have sent up a red flag.
I'm surprised by the complaints about those features since my 3 has them as well, and I don't have many issues; really just the location of the heaters in the seats. It's disappointing that they regressed on those features.

And I've heard nothing but complaints about the CX-5's technology, though the new 3's is supposed to be nice. I assume the 2015 CX-5 will inherit the 3's much improved tech, but Mazda's still not on board with iOS in the Car. :(

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I'm surprised by the complaints about those features since my 3 has them as well, and I don't have many issues; really just the location of the heaters in the seats. It's disappointing that they regressed on those features.

And I've heard nothing but complaints about the CX-5's technology, though the new 3's is supposed to be nice. I assume the 2015 CX-5 will inherit the 3's much improved tech, but Mazda's still not on board with iOS in the Car. :(

I feel like I did the best I could for what I wanted to spend. I didn't want to buy anything so a used X3 was off the table, and I almost bought a low-milage LR2 but didn't want to deal with it out of warranty. In reality I'd prefer a Discovery, Range Rover, or X5 but my car budget is tied up in the M3.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm hoping the new 3's tech features are better, mine is due in March/April. I'd hope I don't regret that I didn't wait for the Golf Mk7. Either way I'll provide a report then if someone doesn't beat me to the punch. It's a Mazda3 GT with the tech and luxury packages in Soul Red Mica.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ohh that's disappointing to hear about the CX-5.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The CX-5 was the first release of Mazda's new tech stuff, which was refined in the Mazda 6 and by all accounts is well done in the new 3. Most of the reviews I've seen point out how the 3 addresses flaws in the current 6. One of the drawbacks of being an early adopter, I suppose.

When the 6 and CX-5 get the diesels, I would presume they would get the tech updates as well, but that's just me guessing.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Bring on the snow, I say!

Looks so much better with the plastidipped snow flakes with Blizzaks.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The MS3 is really an amazing snow car with winter tires. I've never gotten stuck, even when basically plowing with the front bumper. The combination of the 6 speed and LSD and proper tires is great.

opengl fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 14, 2013

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

You can adjust the headlights thing in settings. I don't have rain sensing wipers so I don't know for sure, but maybe there's an setting too?

Stolennosferatu fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 14, 2013

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Stolennosferatu posted:

You can adjust the headlights thing in settings. I don't have rain sensing wipers so I don't know for sure, but maybe there's an setting too?

Oh is that what that is? I thought I was selecting my coffee roast. Wipers are either "sensing" or "intermittent"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey guys. I wanted something that would let me hook my iPhone up to my stereo and use the steering wheel controls to go up/down in a playlist or whatever. Nothing fancy.

I bought an Eonon D5151 head unit and to be quite frank I just don't like it. It looks good in the car, but I'm not a fan of the OS it's running and I just don't really want to deal with it so I'll be flipping it on Craigslist and buying something else which will fill the above role.

So I guess that's where this post comes in. What's a good iPhone interface for a stock Mazda 3 (09) stereo? I don't really need a LOT of features but I'd like to be able to control at least next/prev from my steering wheel, and I guess that's about it. My only beef with using the stock AUX in is that I have two cables, one for power to a cig lighter and one for audio out to aux. Not to mention that there's a horrible ground loop issue when I have the iPhone plugged into power while I'm playing off of it.

So recommendations? I mean I know I can just buy stuff by searching "mazda iphone" on eBay, but I guess I'm looking for some firsthand recommendations rather than me just buying the first thing I come across (like I did with the Eonon)

And going back to earlier in the thread where someone told me not to buy the Eonon:

Rhyno posted:

Take that money you were going to spend on the HU, buy a nice dash mount for your phone and put the rest back towards the car.

You were 100% right and I didn't listen. Lesson learned :(

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I just bought a 2014 Mazda 3i Touring. I want to add my subwoofer to it. It doesn't have the complicated display unit, but it does have the nice Bluetooth stuff.

I looked at the wiring diagram and didn't see a sub preout but I was hoping someone here might know more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Martytoof posted:

I'm rarely right but when it comes to wasting money on a GPS I'm an expert.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Martytoof posted:

Hey guys. I wanted something that would let me hook my iPhone up to my stereo and use the steering wheel controls to go up/down in a playlist or whatever. Nothing fancy.

I bought an Eonon D5151 head unit and to be quite frank I just don't like it. It looks good in the car, but I'm not a fan of the OS it's running and I just don't really want to deal with it so I'll be flipping it on Craigslist and buying something else which will fill the above role.

So I guess that's where this post comes in. What's a good iPhone interface for a stock Mazda 3 (09) stereo? I don't really need a LOT of features but I'd like to be able to control at least next/prev from my steering wheel, and I guess that's about it. My only beef with using the stock AUX in is that I have two cables, one for power to a cig lighter and one for audio out to aux. Not to mention that there's a horrible ground loop issue when I have the iPhone plugged into power while I'm playing off of it.

So recommendations? I mean I know I can just buy stuff by searching "mazda iphone" on eBay, but I guess I'm looking for some firsthand recommendations rather than me just buying the first thing I come across (like I did with the Eonon)

And going back to earlier in the thread where someone told me not to buy the Eonon:

My Zune dies in 5 minutes now and I've always wanted to be able to control playback with the steering wheel and have track info on the LCD. I thought it might be fun to create a Bluetooth module that hooks into the media port (where Tape or MD go) but I can't find an specifications on the interface and don't know how to get that from Mazda.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Awwww yeah it's snow time.

SiB
May 6, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

Oh is that what that is? I thought I was selecting my coffee roast. Wipers are either "sensing" or "intermittent"

The dealer can adjust the sensitivity of lights and wipers with their scan tool.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

All that snow is gross, my car is keeping its summer shoes on.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I am still running mine on the dual wires, have a ton of trouble with the aux in wire, on my third or fourth wire. Ordered a newer, slightly pricier wire, but haven't even gotten bold enough to try something more, kind of accepting it's always going to be a pain.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you not have terrible ground loop interference when you have AUX and power plugged in?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Do you not have terrible ground loop interference when you have AUX and power plugged in?

I always did on my MS3, but you can buy a little isolator box to fix it. I used this one until one of the connectors poo poo the bed.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I fear I would not have been able to call it that, just a lot of static and sound breakdown (losing sound in certain speakers, losing certain parts of tracks) but I had this problem before I had a car charger, so I have always assumed it was the aux cables making GBS threads the bed due to poor quality and rough temps here in TX.

Right now I always end up having to reposition and contort my iPhone frequently (even when just plugged into the aux cable) and it is really, really annoying.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I always did on my MS3, but you can buy a little isolator box to fix it. I used this one until one of the connectors poo poo the bed.

Not bad. I'm thinking about it.

I'm probably going to sell the Eonon and buy one of these unless I find out they suck too. Regardless of what I do, I'll end up doing a lot more research before I buy anything this time around.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Getting a proper Bluetooth connection or at least an AUX port would probably make me a lot happier with my 3. It always seemed so daunting though, especially since I've heard that the Bose option makes things a lot more complicated to modify.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

I fear I would not have been able to call it that, just a lot of static and sound breakdown (losing sound in certain speakers, losing certain parts of tracks) but I had this problem before I had a car charger, so I have always assumed it was the aux cables making GBS threads the bed due to poor quality and rough temps here in TX.

Right now I always end up having to reposition and contort my iPhone frequently (even when just plugged into the aux cable) and it is really, really annoying.

That sounds like something else. The noise we're talking about is just a high pitched whine that varies with engine speed. What you describe sounds like a bad cable to me.

Getting a proper Bluetooth connection or at least an AUX port would probably make me a lot happier with my 3. It always seemed so daunting though, especially since I've heard that the Bose option makes things a lot more complicated to modify.

I don't know the specifics but with most cars they usually use speakers and amps with non-standard impedance (2 ohm instead of 4 ohm), but the car audio thread guys would know more. I'm sure it's not a totally insurmountable task, just more stuff to take care of.

Edit: also I have had one of these for 7 years or so and it works well:
http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Edit: also I have had one of these for 7 years or so and it works well:
http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/

I have one installed on my 6. Works great though I do get a little ground interference if charging while using it.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

What year 3 do you have? I have a 13 MS3 with the Bose audio and I've never had a problem with RottenTooth streaming.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

After pulling my radio out it doesn't seem like it will be that difficult at all, though I don't have the Bose option. It's a pretty simple connection on my end, the difficult part is finding something that will work as advertised without being a complete dumpster fire like the Eonon.

To be fair, I think others might enjoy the Eonon, just not me. It's definitely a Chinese Import Cheap Thing™ but that doesn't bother a lot of people .. as I'm hoping is the case as it'll be on Craigslist shortly :q:

I was really happy to get a car with an AUX port, but in typical first world problems style I am not agitated at the fact that I have to string two separate wires through my car. Oh and I guess the ground loop thing which is probably easy enough to fix with a doodad. I just want something that I can plug into my radio that will let me play music and switch songs without dying when I ram my car into a guardrail :(

For all the trouble I'm going to, I should just start burning CDs since my stereo can play MP3 CDs.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I've been using an inline filter on my AUX port since I bought my MS3, clears out any interference. I've been wanting an integrated solution for bluetooth and such forever, but I eventually just said gently caress it, and bought one of those little bluetooth adapters. Works like a charm, really. Can't control from the steering wheel but that's what SIRI is for.