Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sash! posted:

Space-Dog is the wallpaper on my work computer. I have two monitors, so double Space-Dog action going on.

Oh, and we had some sort of safety fair and we could take a picture of a loved one in and they'd laminate it, so that we could put it on our lanyard with some sort of "I Work Safely Because of:" message.

Yeah. Spock and Space-Dog is on mine.

Left monitor is the evil one, and right monitor is the placid, timid one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Left monitor is the evil one, and right monitor is the placid, timid one.

Oh hey, another thing Voyager had to poo poo on, when B'elanna was split in to human and klingon versions.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ESP used to be one of those things that went in and out of vogue. I'm reminded of the seaQuest DSV (first season) episode where a trio of psychics/telepaths were sent to help out with diplomatic negotiations.

I absolutely love that you felt the need to specify that it was a first season episode to denote level of quality.

I loving hate SeaQuest now though even though I loved the wet TNG knockoff it basically was. I watched shitloads of it when it was on reruns when I was in the hospital so I got all kinds of awesome (not) morphine SeaQuest themed impossible nightmares, including an episode involving fish sticks and a screen door. Fish sticks also make me queasy now, come to think of it.

I need to go to bed.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Dark One posted:

Oh hey, another thing Voyager had to poo poo on, when B'elanna was split in to human and klingon versions.

The concept was actually pretty good. There's this woman with two distinct heritages which often conflict and have caused her a lot of pain throughout her life. Then some dude uses science to create two versions of her which are wholly one or the other, and she is completely forced to confront and eventually accept that her personal strengths come from both sides, becoming a better whole person in the end.

The concept was good.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
what the gently caress is going on here, S2 E2 DS9 - The Circle

Is Kira being seduced by that senior prophet dude? He pretty obviously wants into her pants (who wouldn't), but did he just use the Orb to get nekkid with her?

Don't actually answer this.. but man that was some creepy 'being hit on by the priest' vibe. I'm sure all will become clear shortly.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Not really spoilers, just clarifying:

The orbs give you visions, which frequently involve people you know, that doesn't mean the actual people were there, or had any control over what the orb showed you.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Mm.. like Sisko initially and the weird poo poo they were showing him.

Priest fucker is being mighty smug for someone that had nothing to do with it..

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Just watched the DS9 episode where this gif originated from so I have to post it again because it always makes me smile.

:haw:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

Just watched the DS9 episode where this gif originated from so I have to post it again because it always makes me smile.

:haw:

It's the best gif that's why.

I'd love some kanar with Damar.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I don't really understand why they can break the Prime Directive to stop Data's friend's planet from exploding, but boy is this episode boring as gently caress!!

Edit: Oh for gently caress's sake!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 14, 2013

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm starting to get a real soft spot for Quark's brother. The poor dumb bastard. When he conspired to push Quark out the airlock.. that was good Trek :)

This three parter has gotten quite exciting as I start the third episode. A bit of it there I was getting bored.. but it's climaxed impressively.

edit: Shoehead, I can't remember all 7 seasons of TNG so quote the ep name and two seconds on Memory Alpha can have me right in there with you.

edit2: oh god Miles daughter is in this one too and her hair is in little rings. I'm a manly nerd goddamnit, I'm not clucky and I don't want any children. Bah to her and her cuteness.. SO CUTE. The look on her face when OBrien and Kekio are fighting.. ITS MAKE BELIEVE, please don't be sad :(

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 14, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If you like Quarks brother then you should keep watching because he owns later on.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You know what sucks? The startrek.com shop discontinued their line of StarFleet Academy stainless tell travel mugs. My best friend is a Scottish engineer (like a female Scotty!) working towards her doctorate, so I got her an engineering one. I should've got one for myself when I had the chance. gently caress.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Tony Montana posted:

I'm starting to get a real soft spot for Quark's brother. The poor dumb bastard. When he conspired to push Quark out the airlock.. that was good Trek :)

This is the best part about the Ferengi. They're all backstabbing the poo poo out of each other, but after it all blows over, they're cool about it. Like, "yeah, I respect what he was trying to do, I'd have done the same." The only exception of course is Brunt, who hates and is hated by everybody, but the rest of them do some awful poo poo to each other and just shrug it off like LOL BETRAY FAMILY GET MONEY GOLD PRESSED LATINUM.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hrm ok. So highlights of that three parter were Miles daughter and 'NEVER INSULT A FERENGI'S MOTHER!' while lowlights were basically the whole plot, the action finale (Dax and Kira's dogfight in the old Bajoran fighter was just lame, no tension whatsoever) and the lazy writing (oh we've got this guy still in Kira's job.. oh yes, kill him off in the last minute of the last ep.. that squares things up nicely).

Anyways, one more step away from S1. I was excited at the beginning of ep 3 and then disappointed pretty magnificently. I guess I just knocked off three eps of S2 in quick succession, that's gotta be a bonus.

edit: what was the Kira getting naked with priest dude all about? How does Sisko explain to Starfleet that poo poo is cool now because instead of following orders and evacuating the station, he staged an armed defense of it? How did two pilots of that exact Bajoran fighter, flying later, superior ships manage to get tagged by it before one of them took it down? A thumbprint is surely just a thumbprint.. it being on a manifest in the 23rd century or whatever.. doesn't amount to poo poo.

Bah. To bed I go, Invasive Procedures is next. That sounds interesting..

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 15, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Otisburg posted:

It was rare, but not unheard of, in humans. In that episode they even talk about having like a whole system to grade how psychic dudes are.

Miranda Jones (played by the same chick who played Pulaski and she was FINE in the day) talked to Medusans with her brain and had some telepathy going on, and she was a regular human.

Flint used telepathy to control robots, and he was an (immortal) human.

Troi had taught Riker to read her thoughts.

And he did...

That one time in the pilot.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I would never want to read a mind again after reading Deanna's. I'm surprised Riker, unprepared for the shock, didn't immediately dive for the nearest replicator and scream DISPENSE ALL ITEMS CONTAINING CHOCOLATE

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I would never want to read a mind again after reading Deanna's. I'm surprised Riker, unprepared for the shock, didn't immediately dive for the nearest replicator and scream DISPENSE ALL ITEMS CONTAINING CHOCOLATE

That's how we got fat Riker.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Fat Riker killed the last episode of Enterprise. "Ya I'll just shoehorn myself in as a chef and play a part in the crew's lives because gently caress this show."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I don't get how he gained all that weight in the middle of the Pegasus incident and then suddenly lost it by the end. I mean I'm sure it was stressful, so maybe that somehow made him like bloated? Or was he bitten by another evil vine like in that season 2 finale and like the venom was inflaming his soft tissue?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Otisburg posted:

I don't get how he gained all that weight in the middle of the Pegasus incident and then suddenly lost it by the end. I mean I'm sure it was stressful, so maybe that somehow made him like bloated? Or was he bitten by another evil vine like in that season 2 finale and like the venom was inflaming his soft tissue?
Replicator was giving him a high carb diet, the inevitable happened.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Well, maybe he decided to live the role of Chef and had the holodeck add a few billion kilos to his waistline.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Well, maybe he decided to live the role of Chef and had the holodeck add a few billion kilos to his waistline.

Maybe they have some kind of space liposuction in sickbay?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

I absolutely love that you felt the need to specify that it was a first season episode to denote level of quality.

Well, yeah, first season seaQuest owns, but it's also not just quality, but tone. Second season was a weird shitshow of flailing around trying to find something that will snag the magic demographics, and third season was just "gently caress it it's war, do whatever. fusion reactors can create black holes, right?"

First season was when they were still trying to at least pretend they were more serious than the show they were ripping off, and when they were still hustling the show as "hey guys this poo poo is really in our near future!!", and that's why it's notable that they had an episode where espers show up and instead of "HOLY loving poo poo THERE'S PEOPLE WITH LEGIT TELEPATHIC POWERS" it's "oh, we've heard about people like you".

Sorry about your morphine nightmares.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

Dax and Kira's dogfight in the old Bajoran fighter

I think you mean "Dax and Kira's playtime with a tilt camera"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Where the hell did Bajoran fighters come from anyway?

Or Bajoran hand phasers or anything for that matter.

It would've been much better if at the start all the Bajoran gear was Cardassian with Bajoran colours sloppily painted over the top.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My Voyager rewatch is gathering momentum. I'm up to the fifth episode, which features both "there's coffee in that nebula" and Chakotay's animal guides. After the recent discussion of the Doctor's perfect holofamily, I was interested to see that waaaay back in episode five the Doctor and Torres have a conversation about him reprogramming himself. "Now there's an interesting concept, a hologram that programs himself. What would I do with that ability ? Create a family, raise an army..."

It's right there at the beginning. The Voyager writers actually set that episode up in advance.

edit

The directing is so bad in the B plot about Janeway finding her animal guide. So bad.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 15, 2013

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Listening to an audiobook about the British fighting the Japanese in Burma.

Occasionally, the word "Jemadar" comes up and makes the fighting seem way more awesome. I'd known jemadar and Jem'Hadar were related, but didn't realize jemadar sounds exactly the same when said with a British accent.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mllaneza posted:

<snip>
Edit 2. That first scene was really bad.

edit: Guess what isn't edit ?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

mllaneza posted:

My Voyager rewatch is gathering momentum. I'm up to the fifth episode, which features both "there's coffee in that nebula" and Chakotay's animal guides. After the recent discussion of the Doctor's perfect holofamily, I was interested to see that waaaay back in episode five the Doctor and Torres have a conversation about him reprogramming himself. "Now there's an interesting concept, a hologram that programs himself. What would I do with that ability ? Create a family, raise an army..."

It's right there at the beginning. The Voyager writers actually set that episode up in advance.

edit

The directing is so bad in the B plot about Janeway finding her animal guide. So bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhy7JCOVqys

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mllaneza posted:

edit

Voyager is the one show where the early seasons are better, because there was still potential then. And they actually tried arcs, like the whole Kazon/Seska thing. They were bad arcs about lame aliens, but at least they were trying.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Seska was the dumbest Cardassian in the world. Most of them are shown to be brilliant and conniving and she chose to hitch her wagon to the Kazon. Her mental spoon was too small. No wonder she was given that assignment.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Writer Cath posted:

Seska was the dumbest Cardassian in the world. Most of them are shown to be brilliant and conniving and she chose to hitch her wagon to the Kazon. Her mental spoon was too small. No wonder she was given that assignment.

I think probably the only good line Chakotay had in that show was "Was anyone on my ship actually working for me?" He really was the worst Maquis ever.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Writer Cath posted:

There was another comment thread somewhere where I argued that it was a mistake to have Seska leave the ship. She has as much of a reason to get home as anyone else on the ship, even if she's gonna hijack a shuttle and make a beeline for Cardassia once Voyager noses the Federation border. Her presence would create all sorts of interesting dynamics: she'd be the one person on the ship everyone hates, what with being a Cardassian spy and all, but because she's outside the Starfleet environment the crew was raised in (both the Starfleet characters and the Maquis ones, all of whom went through the Academy at the very least), she'd be the one of the few people who could say no to Janeway. She could have evolved into a persistent antagonist, someone representing the people who want to get home as fast as possible, which could have shaken up the dynamics of the show, maybe creating some sort of three-way divide between Janeway's supporters, Seska's supporters, and the Chakotay Fan Club. In the later seasons, once contact with the Alpha Quadrant starts happening regularly, there could also be some interesting things going on as she catches up on the Dominion war and finds herself in the position of a old-guard patriot watching helplessly as the society she supported is burnt to the ground.

Sadly, when I think of stuff like this, I'm always reminded of one ugly fact: if Voyager's showrunners had be interested in doing anything like this, they would have used the Starfleet/Maquis conflict that was supposed to be the basis of the entire show.

Martha Hackett just had the worst luck with Trek. Got her scene in "All Good Things," her recurring Romulan character on DS9 only lasted an episode, and Seska just turned into a mess.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Marshal Radisic posted:

There was another comment thread somewhere where I argued that it was a mistake to have Seska leave the ship. She has as much of a reason to get home as anyone else on the ship, even if she's gonna hijack a shuttle and make a beeline for Cardassia once Voyager noses the Federation border. Her presence would create all sorts of interesting dynamics: she'd be the one person on the ship everyone hates, what with being a Cardassian spy and all, but because she's outside the Starfleet environment the crew was raised in (both the Starfleet characters and the Maquis ones, all of whom went through the Academy at the very least), she'd be the one of the few people who could say no to Janeway. She could have evolved into a persistent antagonist, someone representing the people who want to get home as fast as possible, which could have shaken up the dynamics of the show, maybe creating some sort of three-way divide between Janeway's supporters, Seska's supporters, and the Chakotay Fan Club. In the later seasons, once contact with the Alpha Quadrant starts happening regularly, there could also be some interesting things going on as she catches up on the Dominion war and finds herself in the position of a old-guard patriot watching helplessly as the society she supported is burnt to the ground.

Sadly, when I think of stuff like this, I'm always reminded of one ugly fact: if Voyager's showrunners had be interested in doing anything like this, they would have used the Starfleet/Maquis conflict that was supposed to be the basis of the entire show.

Martha Hackett just had the worst luck with Trek. Got her scene in "All Good Things," her recurring Romulan character on DS9 only lasted an episode, and Seska just turned into a mess.

Ok but wouldn't they have just kept her in the brig though

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Not necessarily. In Federation space, yeah, you'd keep the sleeper agent confined because she could sabotage your ship or something. But 70,000 lightyears from home? gently caress it, if she has a skill set that's valuable, put her on a work crew and go with it. Sabotaging your dinky little ship fucks her over just as much as it would you. The worst that can happen is she tries to insurrect the crew against your lawful command, at which point you deal with her as appropriate.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Marshal Radisic posted:

So Garak then?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

More Garaks is a good thing.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

BurnBlackJay posted:

So Garak then?

:rolleyes: What use would a simple tailor be on a ship like Voyager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Patchwork Shaman posted:

More Garaks is a good thing.

DS9 S8: A Fistful of Garaks

A freak accident traps Dr Bashir and Garak in the holosuite during one of Bashir's spy holoprograms. The program begins replacing characters with copies of Garak, all with a strange attraction to Dr Bashir. Ezri attempts to counsel Kira regarding Odo's departure, with little success. At least, until she discovers a revolutionary treatment involving a mannequin and a tuxedo. Jake struggles to write a paragraph.

• Locked thread