Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
It's like a barcode on a basketball. He's a watermelon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

JayJay posted:

Edit: Ok, I get a bit worked up over this stuff. But I wanted to throw in some help as well regarding the carpet pee'er. One is that, natures miracle sucks now, they were bought out and changed the formula, its the name only now. I would probably go with a good CO2 cleaner instead to get rid of that smell. Do you have multiple litter boxes already? If not, you should have number of cats + 1 litter boxes in your house, possibly with different litter types to find which one they like the best. Its going to be a new house, so theres no way to even know if its going to continue, maybe that was just a spot that another cat once pissed on and they are showing territorial insecurity over it.

I've got 4 boxes.
They're both quite happy with the worlds best and I <3 the flushability.
I was adding the cat attract additive during changes, moved one of the litterboxes directly next to where she would urinate on the carpet, and her response was to crap in the box in my living room (and not bury it :stonk:), then go pee in the other litterbox in the bathroom later, and then go on the carpet after I got home.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

toplitzin posted:

I've got 4 boxes.
They're both quite happy with the worlds best and I <3 the flushability.
I was adding the cat attract additive during changes, moved one of the litterboxes directly next to where she would urinate on the carpet, and her response was to crap in the box in my living room (and not bury it :stonk:), then go pee in the other litterbox in the bathroom later, and then go on the carpet after I got home.

Okay, world's best is flushable then. It doesn't say so explicitly on the bag and Swheat Scoop has kind of lost its lustre for me, but I asked in thread and nobody would tell me for sure if WB was loo friendly.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I feel the need to mention that World's Best is corn based, so cats with a grain allergy should not be using it. They don't eat their litter or anything, but they can get it on their paws and lick it off. I was using it, and Jasper had a lot of problems (scratching, biting himself bloody) I couldn't explain until I switched him to a dust-free clay based litter, called Precious Cat. Works great.

Update: this morning before I went to work they were hissing and spitting, getting as close as I'd seen them to fighting yet, so I locked Theodore in the bathroom with everything he needed before I went to work. When I came back to let him out, Jasper and he haven't hissed all night, and even though they're still giving each other a lot of space. They've been 'talking' at each other all night in very inquisitive tones, but it seems some measure of peace has come to our household. They even laid down on the carpet about three feet apart with no incident. I hope it lasts.

loving cats, man.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

I know it's bad having corpulent cats but drat that cat is a big squishy ball of cute. I love big cats, though probably better if some of that poundage was muscle, not blubber.

Speaking of weight and cats, are there any ways to make a cat GAIN weight? Hugo is still an incredibly slender ~9lb, and I'd say under his fluff he is probably about a 3/10 on the little "how porky is your cat" body mass scale. He lost a pound when we went on holiday and he was being cat-sat, and he never put the weight back on. He's free fed Go! dry and short of shovelling food down his throat I don't really know how to make him eat more given he is able to eat whenever he feels like eating. I tried loading up his wet food with some dry food to boost the calorie intake, but he only likes licking the liquid off the wet food and ignores the meat/dry stuff.

He is otherwise healthy, normal poop etc, up to date with worming and vaccinations; he's just really thin. Should this warrant a vet visit?

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Badera posted:

Here's a picture. I can chase him down and take another if necessary.

Dear god, he is massive! I want more pictures just because he is so delightfully chubby. But that is definitely going to be a strain on his health, and the pooping problems is just a symptom of his overall obesity and inability to clean himself. As I said previously, he needs to get moving around, even if its just him chasing a rod for a minute a few times a day. If hes really into food, get him some healthy high protein snacks like freeze dried (or fresh) chicken/turkey/shrimp which are very low calorie, and use that to get him motivated for play. As for the diet though, I don't really know what to say. If he's actually only eating 250 cal per day, he should be losing weight, slowly. How long has he been on the diet with no change? It might be time to see another vet, they could either be missing something medically, or may have better options for you. I am honestly worried about the big guy, that extra weight is going to take its toll sooner than later.

Tamarillo posted:

Speaking of weight and cats, are there any ways to make a cat GAIN weight? Hugo is still an incredibly slender ~9lb, and I'd say under his fluff he is probably about a 3/10 on the little "how porky is your cat" body mass scale. He lost a pound when we went on holiday and he was being cat-sat, and he never put the weight back on. He's free fed Go! dry and short of shovelling food down his throat I don't really know how to make him eat more given he is able to eat whenever he feels like eating. I tried loading up his wet food with some dry food to boost the calorie intake, but he only likes licking the liquid off the wet food and ignores the meat/dry stuff.

Can you get a good side shot of him? The actual weight doesn't matter all that much with a cat, you're going to want to look more towards the ribs and abdomen. Though its a little worrying that he lost weight, and lost weight that quickly. Sometimes it can take a cat a few months to a year to lose a lb. Have you been to the vet since the weight loss occurred or has anything else changed recently in his personality and activity? Aside from that, you might need to resort to more cat-crazy alternatives. Like cooking him up some chicken and rice, or finding SOMETHING that he'll go crazy over. Every cat has a one food that they will just kill for, so it might be a matter of finding that food/brand/what have you.

Heres a good chart to give you an idea of healthy weight.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 13, 2013

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

JayJay posted:

Honestly, you should have left the cone on. She would have gotten used to it after a few days. I made the same mistake though with my kitten though and took it off, it's hard to not fall for their miserable looks in it. She went right to licking it, and I had to yell at her 5000 times, but I got lucky and had no stitch issues. You might want to try and find a "soft cone" which is probably a lot more comfortable than the plastic one.

Well, it really wasn't my choice, she removed the cone herself.

An update though; I did try the bitter apple stuff and after applying it a bunch of times I've come to the conclusion that she does not have taste buds.

I bought a small outfit, but unfortunately it doesn't cover the wound well. She's a bit too big to fit in a sock. So, what I'm doing now is just hand feeding her. She won't really eat her regular food (kibble) by hand, so I've had to mostly give her freeze dried raw treats. I also had to fill a huge bowl of water up so that it was big enough that she could fit in to drink.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

TheMirage posted:

Well, it really wasn't my choice, she removed the cone herself.

An update though; I did try the bitter apple stuff and after applying it a bunch of times I've come to the conclusion that she does not have taste buds.

I bought a small outfit, but unfortunately it doesn't cover the wound well. She's a bit too big to fit in a sock. So, what I'm doing now is just hand feeding her. She won't really eat her regular food (kibble) by hand, so I've had to mostly give her freeze dried raw treats. I also had to fill a huge bowl of water up so that it was big enough that she could fit in to drink.

Must not be very strong stuff. Whatever the vet put on Pepper when she got spayed was enough to have her practically foaming at the mouth trying to get the taste out whenever she licked it (which was only about three times total).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Organza Quiz posted:

Must not be very strong stuff. Whatever the vet put on Pepper when she got spayed was enough to have her practically foaming at the mouth trying to get the taste out whenever she licked it (which was only about three times total).
Depends on the cat; my cats don't give a gently caress. Also there's alternative style cones if your cone is too big, like sorta floppy ones and inflato-cones.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

duckfarts posted:

Depends on the cat; my cats don't give a gently caress. Also there's alternative style cones if your cone is too big, like sorta floppy ones and inflato-cones.

Yea, i saw some options like that doing a Google search. I checked a local Petco and they didn't have any. I'm afraid if I order one it won't get here by the time I would already be taking the cone off.

Oh well, I think she'll just have to tough it out.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

JayJay posted:

Dear god, he is massive! I want more pictures just because he is so delightfully chubby. But that is definitely going to be a strain on his health, and the pooping problems is just a symptom of his overall obesity and inability to clean himself. As I said previously, he needs to get moving around, even if its just him chasing a rod for a minute a few times a day. If hes really into food, get him some healthy high protein snacks like freeze dried (or fresh) chicken/turkey/shrimp which are very low calorie, and use that to get him motivated for play. As for the diet though, I don't really know what to say. If he's actually only eating 250 cal per day, he should be losing weight, slowly. How long has he been on the diet with no change? It might be time to see another vet, they could either be missing something medically, or may have better options for you. I am honestly worried about the big guy, that extra weight is going to take its toll sooner than later.

He's been on the diet for about 2 years with no appreciable change. My current vet even did thyroid screens on him and apparently they came back negative, sooo. Yeah. I guess I might try another vet in town. At any rate, I found his other toys, so we'll be starting a bit more play going forward and see if that helps (plus now I can torment him without having my hands and arms torn to ribbons--I guess he has fatty strength because JESUS).

More pictures:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Welp, I've been calling my cat "The Walrus" but after seeing this I'll have to downgrade him to seal. Your fat cat looks like a speedbump. :3:

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

Rah posted:

So I feel a little sad lately.. The last few days Chloe and Sophie wont seem to sleep on my bed anymore and prefer to go sleep on the stairs instead :( It makes me feel a little sad because they're all snuggled up together sleeping I want some of the kitty snuggles :( I guess there's nothing I can do to try convince them to come cuddle with me in bed, only give them some time and see if they decide to come back here

Mine go through phases. When it's chilly out, they will sleep on my bed with me - generally they start up by my head and then at some point in the night they will generally move to nearer my feet or legs. Sometimes, though, they sleep on the couch all snuggled up with each other. It's always a little bit of a bummer when they do that, but then I realize that I get to sprawl out without fear of hitting them so its a nice little break, too.

I guess all I am saying is "cats, huh?" and I hope they come back sooner than later.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
So my father desperately wants to get my fiancee and I (or rather, our cats) a mechanical litter box -- hell if I know why, but I wouldn't turn down some degree of upgrade over our old-school plastic bin. Are there any recommendations, or should I try to talk him out of it? "Price is no object."

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

greth posted:

So my father desperately wants to get my fiancee and I (or rather, our cats) a mechanical litter box -- hell if I know why, but I wouldn't turn down some degree of upgrade over our old-school plastic bin. Are there any recommendations, or should I try to talk him out of it? "Price is no object."

Cats can be weirdly picky about their litter boxes. What's always worried me about the mechanical ones is that if it started moving while the cat was in it, it might put the cat off of using it in the future. At least that's the warning I've always heard.

I hope I'm not sounding too negative about it though, I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting one, in theory it sounds good. My aunt got one of the ones that's hooked up to the plumbing and basically flushes what the cat leaves, I think it's this one. It works fine, but the cat never uses the drat thing for some weird cat reason. Though if our cats would use it, I'd be all about getting one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
litter robot Litter Robot LITTER ROBOT

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ev posted:

but the cat never uses the drat thing for some weird cat reason. Though if our cats would use it, I'd be all about getting one.

Maybe because the cat doesn't like the litter or the thing is scary to it maybe.

Also

Dogen posted:

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

So I've had a really lovely male cat, Jimmy for at least 5 years. He's almost 10 now. When we got him, his former owner thought he'd be happier in a single cat household and it started out well but a few years ago he started showing signs of stress and the vet recommended calming collars and the like, possibly getting a friend for him. We've tried Feliaway and calming collars which seem to be working a little bit but not as well we'd like.

The idea of getting another cat was tossed around for a while but we didn't really put an effort in finding one that would get along with Jimmy until recently when a breeder who was retiring offered up some adult cats for free to a good home. She posted it on a Burmese cat facebook group I'm in and she was close enough to us to make it a reality so we contacted her about a 5 year old female who she said got along well with male cats. She thought that Wendy would be a good fit for Jimmy and then picked us to be her new home :woop:

This all happened so fast and we've never had to bring a new cat into the household- only had single cats or bonded pairs. Wendy's owner is giving us all sorts of great tips (taking one of Jimmy's favorite blankets with us when we pick her up so she won't smell like her old home but of Jimmy instead and she gets a chance to get used to his scent before the actual meeting) but I have no idea what we need to get. Litter box is a must (luckily they both use pine litter) but what else do we need to buy to prepare for Wendy? I need to double check what the breeder is going to give us along with the kitty.

I think we're going to have them both wear calming collars for the first month or so, don't want poor Jimmy to even get more stressed :( A room is already being prepared for Wendy to live in until they can be allowed to run around together without killing each other.

We're picking her up next week, a few days before Christmas. This is going to be the best Christmas gift ever :3: Jimmy probably won't agree :v:

edit because it might be relevant: Wendy is a former queen, fixed now. Jimmy's sired some kitties before he got fixed (before we got him). No more breeding or showing (Jimmy mainly, Wendy was never a show cat), just lots of love and snuggling :3:

and they're both Burmese just because brown cats are so cute :shobon:

Here's a photo of Jimmy just because he is so handsome and I love him lots.

Tomato Soup fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 14, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Ohh gosh, Burmese are so handsome. We have a 10 year old Burmese at the shelter named Keeper and he's so vocal and loving.

I would check out this article: http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

Just ignore the bullshit about his "flower essences". The rest is all great advice to go by. Mainly by feeding them between a door, site swapping, and taking it slowly.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Dogen posted:

I really want one of those, but not all of us have 300-400 dollars for one.

I actually came to ask about more reasonably priced litter boxes and as I was posting my little tuxedo kitten jumped on my keyboard and put my PC into sleep mode. Irony.

Felirony aside (See what I did there?!), can anyone recommend me a non-scoop litter box that is fully covered? I have two high-sided sifting boxes and they work pretty well, but my long hair is a moron and sprays little everywhere when she uses her box, even over the sides of these boxes. Plus, I thought that an enclosed box would help a bit with odour control. Can anyone recommend one? I can keep one of the old boxes out while I try to gauge the reaction to the new one, and I'm also thinking of switching to World's Best Cat Litter from Shweat Scoop, so I have the luxury of experimenting a bit. Plus, I fancy that every creature deserves a bit of privacy while doing its business.

So far, I've looked at this one and this one.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

JustJeff88 posted:

Sifting is "ok", but don't get the roll and clean one. It's gross, you are basically just rolling piss and poo poo all over the walls of it. I do not like automated litter boxes very much, for a whole host of reasons, some related to mechanical failures, some related to the visible health (droppings) of your cat, and others related to a cats natural litter habits/scent marking. I would just go for a covered box that is scoopable, if you're trying to prevent accidents in the box. As far as privacy, your cat can care less about you staring at its butthole, and you need to be careful because they can be picky about the enclosures. Keep out an open box at the same time to avoid any accidents in the beginning.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

JustJeff88 posted:

I really want one of those, but not all of us have 300-400 dollars for one.

I actually came to ask about more reasonably priced litter boxes and as I was posting my little tuxedo kitten jumped on my keyboard and put my PC into sleep mode. Irony.

JayJay posted:

Sifting is "ok", but don't get the roll and clean one. It's gross, you are basically just rolling piss and poo poo all over the walls of it.
Ignore this heathen; the roll and clean one is loving awesome and is basically the manual version of the Litter Robot. I have that last one you posted, the Omega Paw, and it's great; it saves a lot of time and I don't have to sift through everything. You don't really "roll piss and poo poo all over it" because you're using clumping litter, which absorbs the piss and dries out the poo poo. It's nothing like say, pissing and making GBS threads in a dryer machine and then turning it on.

For the issues I have with the box, I use this cat litter that's basically mini fiber pellets* that are much larger than the grains of clay clumping litter, so I have to shake the box a bit to get all the loose litter to pass through the grate. Also, some pee clumps might stick to the bottom sometimes, so I just push them off with a scoop when rolling the box over. Last, if your cats decide they like to pee on the grate itself, the clumps will form around the grates and you'll have to bang on it to knock the clumps out or clean them out otherwise later. Even with all this, it takes me less than 20 seconds to clean out the box and it's so much less of a pain to deal with, the box is clean, and my cats pee and poo poo in there as recognition of its cleanliness(one of my cats will not stand for a box she feels is too dirty).

* 1. so I can flush it and 2. so it really doesn't track everywhere because I have hard floors and no carpet, and a bonus 3. it doesn't stink up the cats like clay litters do

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
The first time I ever saw one of those rolling litter boxes was on an episode of My Cat from Hell, in which the problem cat was inappropriately eliminating and being a hissy jerk. Jackson Galaxy said the litter box was a terrible idea and had the owners get rid of it. I see what he means. I wouldn't want to pee in a bathroom with poo poo all over the walls.

Then again, Jackson is also against any sort of litter technology or toilet training and says that we have to "embrace the raw cat". That sounds like crazy cat talk to me. It's piss and poo poo. Come on.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Why wouldn't you have litter like unless you trained your cat to eliminate outdoors? Wait no can't train that either. Don't cats, you know, enjoy being able to cover their poop? I thought that was an evolutionary thing.

Also one of our two cats has taken to laying down in front of feet, rolling so your feet touch her belly, and then immediately launching an attack. Is there any way to curb that or is the cat just going to be a jerk? Getting nails clipped and soft paws again, other than that no idea how to deal with negative cat behavior.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

JayJay posted:

Ohh gosh, Burmese are so handsome. We have a 10 year old Burmese at the shelter named Keeper and he's so vocal and loving.

I would check out this article: http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

Just ignore the bullshit about his "flower essences". The rest is all great advice to go by. Mainly by feeding them between a door, site swapping, and taking it slowly.

Thank you! I just really hope they eventually get along, Wendy's current owner says she'll take her back if they can't which is nice but I just really want to see catpiles :3:

Here's some more Jimmypics for you :) He's pretty quiet, only gets vocal when upset which is different from the other Burmese I've had in the past but just as loving as others.

Burmese have the best murderfaces

He is just so adorable oh god I am such a crazy cat lady but we're all crazy cat ladies here in PI right

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ema Nymton posted:

The first time I ever saw one of those rolling litter boxes was on an episode of My Cat from Hell, in which the problem cat was inappropriately eliminating and being a hissy jerk. Jackson Galaxy said the litter box was a terrible idea and had the owners get rid of it. I see what he means. I wouldn't want to pee in a bathroom with poo poo all over the walls.

Then again, Jackson is also against any sort of litter technology or toilet training and says that we have to "embrace the raw cat". That sounds like crazy cat talk to me. It's piss and poo poo. Come on.

He's also against 'obsessively cleaning your cat's litter box,' which seems like a good way to end up with cats pooping outside of the box.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JayJay posted:

Heres a good chart to give you an idea of healthy weight.

I was going to ask a similar question, my cat is probably about a 6 on that scale, but I was just curious what the physical size of the average house cat is. At the last veterinary weigh in she was deemed good at 9 lbs.

I just get curious because other people's cats seem small and frail compared to her, and one time when I showed someone a picture, the reaction, and I quote was "that's a big loving cat!" Much to the amusement of everyone in the bar.

The picture in question:

Edit:
There is also the wishful thinking that she's a Norwegian Forest Cat :black101:

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 15, 2013

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

9 lbs is pretty healthy and small (compared to other people's cats not a bad thing), she probably looks bigger because she's so fluffy. Jimmy is only a pound heavier than my old cat and he looks bigger in photos because he's blockier and she was more delicate-looking. But one pound is a big deal when they only weight like 8 pounds :v: My point still stands though - at same weight, a Siamese is always going to look lighter than a heftier-looking cat like a British Shorthair.

But if your vet says she's at a healthy weight then don't worry about it :)

Most of people who go OMG YOUR CAT IS SO TINY to me tend to have longhaired cats or fat cats so :v:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Also, cats are super variable in size. I have an above-average sized cat, which wasn't apparent to me until I saw how tiny everyone else's cats are, structurally speaking.

Last night at my boss' Christmas party, I petted her tiny but very fat cat, proving that weight itself isn't helpful at all. Poor thing probably weighs nearly the same as mine, despite being 2/3rds of his size structure-wise.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I was going to ask a similar question, my cat is probably about a 6 on that scale, but I was just curious what the physical size of the average house cat is. At the last veterinary weigh in she was deemed good at 9 lbs.

I just get curious because other people's cats seem small and frail compared to her, and one time when I showed someone a picture, the reaction, and I quote was "that's a big loving cat!" Much to the amusement of everyone in the bar.

The picture in question:

Edit:
There is also the wishful thinking that she's a Norwegian Forest Cat :black101:

Mine is a similar situation. I have two cats, and one is just overall bigger than the other. He's fluffier, but also just has a much larger frame. Alex has probably got 2 lbs on Simon, but they're both healthy when compared to their overall size.

Picture I just took.

And a bonus clip of them fighting/playing because even though they both use the cat tree heaven forbid they're on it at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sjkALLkTD0

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I know nobody was waiting on pins and needles for Pizza news, but the final tests went through and there is no kidney problems. The crystal/uti issue hasn't returned since he's been on the RX food, and we're all very happy.

Here he is enjoying his cat fountain:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
That is good news! :) I hope he continues to like the fountain.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I could be imagining this, but I switched food recently from Wellness CORE Grain-Free Kitten to this here, which isn't as good but seemed quite good - I take the grain-free thing very seriously.

My trio took to this new food just fine and I haven't seen any poo problems. I haven't changed how I feed them (free feed dry, wet twice a day with a dental treat for afters) but this food seems to be going really, really fast. I've gone through 6 pounds of a 12-pound bag in about as much time as it took me to go through 2 or 3 pounds of a 5lb14oz bag of Wellness. It could be that they just like that food more and eat more, but is it possible that this stuff just isn't as filling so they eat more to feel satisfied? For those of you who don't buy it, Wellness foods are very rich... the wet food is really dense and has a strong odour, and the dry food is also very fragrant and dense. I'm just wondering if I'm imagining things, because if I'm not I'm going back to Wellness even though the bastards don't make the kitten formula in 12 pound bags and I end up paying twice the amount per pound in buying the smaller bags.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
Cat disappears for half an hour. I hear a thump and then he legs it downstairs and into my lap.

Cool thanks Harvey. No idea how he's done this - can't find anything out of place upstairs. Vet time!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Operation Juicebox posted:

Cat disappears for half an hour. I hear a thump and then he legs it downstairs and into my lap.

Cool thanks Harvey. No idea how he's done this - can't find anything out of place upstairs. Vet time!

What, uh, what exactly am I looking at here?

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

His bottom tooth is jutting out at an angle. Sorry if it's unclear on my potato phone.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If it's an incisor it is often from play fighting, one of ours did that and has a hilarious snaggle smile now.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Well he seems all right. No bleeding. He's happy to let me touch it. He's passed out on a cardboard box he has come to love and we're playing our favourite game of 'make kissy noises at the cat and he'll start purring'. :3: He's had a treat and ate it okay, and then spent some time washing himself. I guess the vet will just take it out.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Dienes posted:

He's also against 'obsessively cleaning your cat's litter box,' which seems like a good way to end up with cats pooping outside of the box.

I don't think he meant leaving the litter in there for a week. He meant not scooping it, washing it, etc. 10 times a day. I scoop out mine every morning, for a single cat, and it's never been an issue. But obviously all cats are different and some might be more picky than others. Anyway, I think the point hes trying to make is that people get way too weird about litter boxes in their house when its really not a big deal.

JustJeff88 posted:

I could be imagining this, but I switched food recently from Wellness CORE Grain-Free Kitten to this here, which isn't as good but seemed quite good - I take the grain-free thing very seriously.

My trio took to this new food just fine and I haven't seen any poo problems. I haven't changed how I feed them (free feed dry, wet twice a day with a dental treat for afters) but this food seems to be going really, really fast. I've gone through 6 pounds of a 12-pound bag in about as much time as it took me to go through 2 or 3 pounds of a 5lb14oz bag of Wellness. It could be that they just like that food more and eat more, but is it possible that this stuff just isn't as filling so they eat more to feel satisfied? For those of you who don't buy it, Wellness foods are very rich... the wet food is really dense and has a strong odour, and the dry food is also very fragrant and dense. I'm just wondering if I'm imagining things, because if I'm not I'm going back to Wellness even though the bastards don't make the kitten formula in 12 pound bags and I end up paying twice the amount per pound in buying the smaller bags.

You can buy Wellness core grain free adult bags for around the same price at http://www.amazon.com/Wellness-Food-Original-Recipe-12-Pound/dp/B001BOVE54/ it seems.

But to answer your question, it's probably not the brands. You switched from a kitten formula to an adult formula, so the adult formula is going to be less dense and less calories. Kittens under a year require more calories than adults since they burn up so much energy and are constantly growing. Aside from just being out to rip us off, I imagine thats part of the reason for the smaller bags. But poo poo, I wouldn't pay 26 dollars for a 5 pound bag either, that's insane. I pay around 18 dollars for a 5 lb bag of blue buffalo wilderness kitten and thats already too much. Don't ask what I spend on the wilderness wet food though.. I might be changing that soon to another grain free wet brand because $1.20-$1.50 per mini-can is a bit ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ema Nymton posted:

Um, based on that video, he'd be against that litter box because it's automated and not because it's a roll box; the "poo poo all over the walls" would actually be a good thing rather than bad because it "smells like him/her". He's against automated litter technology(not litter itself) because "you won't be as engaged in your cat's life"(less sensible reason imo) and "you may not be as alert to any health changes in your cat". That second one is more reasonable, but I don't think having an automated box means you won't be cleaning it out and can't check for weird poops from your cat. His rationale for not toilet training(note: this is training to use an actual toilet) is kinda dumb; I think you can try and toilet train your cat if you want so long as you know it's not a guaranteed thing that's going to happen and you're prepared to live with/clean up the consequences of failure because they'll be your fault, not the cat's.