Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Instant gratification. Plus probably not shipped to Canada :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

You can get both of them for $1200 on Amazon new, is that a good reason?
You loving enabler

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

evil_bunnY posted:

You loving enabler

Look, all I know is that if I had $1200 sitting around I'd be on it already.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Martytoof posted:

Someone convince me not to spend $1200 on a craigslist XE1 body and the 35 1.4 :ohdear:

That's waaaay more than they are worth used. I got that exact setup for $850 shipped off ebay like 3 weeks ago.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

I know I just jumped on the NEX train a while ago but I now have a big boy job with a real salary and I held a Fuji XE1 today and I fell in love. Someone convince me not to spend $1200 on a craigslist XE1 body and the 35 1.4 :ohdear:

How soon do you need it.

Fuji probably will announce a new body early next year.

I would get either XE1 and XF35 used or get a XE2 kit new, if its my money.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 14, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I know I just jumped on the NEX train a while ago but I now have a big boy job with a real salary and I held a Fuji XE1 today and I fell in love. Someone convince me not to spend $1200 on a craigslist XE1 body and the 35 1.4 :ohdear:

Post the link and ill buy it so you dont have to blow your own money. And the body + 18-55 is 899 new. Haggle down to 700-900 max. Unless you NEED 35mm 1.4-2.8 f-stop range, skip the 35, get the kit NIB look for a 35mm used when the 23 1.4 gets in more hands.

Musket fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 14, 2013

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Ok don't spend $1200 on an X-E1 + lens, spend $999 on a new X-E2 body and get a lens!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Martytoof posted:

We had this talk already marty. Just get it already. XE1 + 35mm 1.4 is pretty much the best combo on the market today imo. Such a flawless lens.

:getin:

--

So guys talk me out of getting a 23mm f1.4 because I get paid next week, and the photo shop just got new stock in. :negative:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What is the XE2's gimmick? About the only thing I disliked about the XE1 when I held it was the fraction of a second lag in the viewfinder. Does the XE2 improve on that? Because if not then I'm not sure I would really care and I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying the XE1 used anyway since it's nice and cheap.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Martytoof posted:

What is the XE2's gimmick? About the only thing I disliked about the XE1 when I held it was the fraction of a second lag in the viewfinder. Does the XE2 improve on that? Because if not then I'm not sure I would really care and I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying the XE1 used anyway since it's nice and cheap.

yes xs2 improves on that a lot. The viewfinder is much smoother. And it autofocuses faster and has wireless. That's about it.

I would get the xe1 for cheaper and put the money you save towards a lens.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Or get an om-d, which doesn't really have any of those issues that you described.

:smug:

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

keyframe posted:

So guys talk me out of getting a 23mm f1.4 because I get paid next week, and the photo shop just got new stock in. :negative:

Ehm, it's big... not that much better than a x100 and..... gives you deliciously creamy rich detailed photos...

Did that help?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Or get an om-d, which doesn't really have any of those issues that you described.

:smug:
You get a resonating shutter instead!

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

keyframe posted:

It's really heavy and you already have the 35mm, so you've got fast primes covered?

... what the hell can I say, I own both. If it helps I kind of regret the 23mm and I probably would've been better served putting the money toward the 56mm. It's a great lens and it'll be really nice to have on-hand, but in hindsight I think 35mm + 56mm (or the 60mm) would be a more useful setup than the 23mm and 35mm.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Martytoof posted:

Autofocus seems to be the big gain. It now has on-sensor phase-detection and a more powerful CPU. The later also improves general responsiveness, much faster clearing of the buffer, etc. The exposure compensation dial now goes up to 11 +/-3.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm having that horrible crisis where you get a little bit of extra spending money and your brain says buy the Fuji 35 f1.4, but your heart says sell the system and buy a Bessa R, Fuji 645, or something equally crazy.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
So my notion of Leica lenses being something untouchable is starting to fall apart the more I research them. Though people on the Leica forums deny it, the 35mm ASPH does suffer from focus shift, and it's MTF chart is a roller coaster. Looking at the Imatest results that photozone published, newer, albeit SLR lenses, like the Sigma 35/1.4 crush the Leica in resolution. That Sigma is $900, whereas the Leica is $3300... Neither ZM 35mm Biogons suffer from shift. So, what in the hell is the $3300 paying for? poo poo, for the $2k I was going to pay for a used copy, I can get the F2 Biogon and a used Ikon film body.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Helicity posted:

I'm having that horrible crisis where you get a little bit of extra spending money and your brain says buy the Fuji 35 f1.4, but your heart says sell the system and buy a Bessa R, Fuji 645, or something equally crazy.

I'm actually thinking of getting a 6x6 system to supplement whatever I get digitally, but honestly I'm kind of tired of manual focusing for everyday shooting. Kind of why I want to just get one good camera and one good lens and call it a day.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

I'm actually thinking of getting a 6x6 system to supplement whatever I get digitally, but honestly I'm kind of tired of manual focusing for everyday shooting. Kind of why I want to just get one good camera and one good lens and call it a day.

Get a Rollei 6008AF.:homebrew:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/261688-REG/Rollei_66015_6008AF_Medium_Format_Auto.html

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

You can pick up a similar setup with the 6003 SRC 1000 instead for about $1k at KEH.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Helicity posted:

I would go with your brain.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

So there was this 40mm f0.85 lens announced yesterday that going to come in a variety of different mounts:

http://kipon.com/en/articledetail.asp?id=60

It's going to be $2080 so don't be too excited.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Martytoof posted:

One good camera, XE2 cuz its AF is much less of a bitch. One good lens - 18-55ois for every drat day. You got some MF Prime glass already just spend the 12bux to get X adapters for funsies, MF on the XE2 is actually good. The OIS makes working at 55mm-f4 easy at night handholding with iso6400jpg (trust the jpg to NR your poo poo at iso6400 it will do a much better job than you will with raw)

Then get your 6x6.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

evil_bunnY posted:

You get a resonating shutter instead!

It shipped with a feature to fix that that also doubles as an intervalometer. Added value if you ask me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

It shipped with a feature to fix that that also doubles as an intervalometer. Added value if you ask me.

Don't you have to supply your own rubber band?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
Is the shutter shock actually worse than having the mirror flip?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

IanTheM posted:

Is the shutter shock actually worse than having the mirror flip?

No worse than the negative photons that hit your sensor.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mest0r posted:

So there was this 40mm f0.85 lens announced yesterday that going to come in a variety of different mounts:

http://kipon.com/en/articledetail.asp?id=60

It's going to be $2080 so don't be too excited.

Holy poo poo :stare:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I have a Hassie to go with my NEX. NEX gets far more use these days, but I still like having it to use every now and then. Just picked up 12 rolls from the shop actually, such a great feeling :kiddo:

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I am stoked. Just picked up a new X-E1 with a kit lens for what will be $650 after a fujifilm.co.jp rebate.

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 16, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

joebob posted:

I am stoked. Just picked up a new X-E1 with a kit lens for what will be $650 after a fujifilm.co.jp rebate.

You're not helping! :argh:

(also link to rebate pls)

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Are you on the fence between the 2 XE bodies? If so, the XE2s improvements are good, but imo not so good that you would miss them, unless your plan is to use a lot of manual focus glass. If you dont plan to use MF glass a ton, the XE1 focus peek is good enough for casual MF use and the AF is drat good minus a few tricky light situations.

The 650 kit is a steal and the 18-55 lens alone is worth that price.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't plan to do any MF TBH. I saw the price that my NEX-5N is going for and quite frankly I'll just keep the body if it's selling for that little, so I already have a good MF body.

650 for that kit is rad, hence me asking for the rebate info :shobon:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I sold the kit lens for $340 last week and got a rebate for $50 from fuji. It pretty much paid for the 35mm. :allears:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have an A7r yet? I'm thinking about trying to sell off my XF300 and replace it with the A7r. It'd be my carrying around camera and compliment my D800 for video work. Seems like it should have nearly identical video performance but I haven't seen any good 24p samples yet.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Martytoof posted:

The rebate probably isn't as much as you are thinking. I got it for 77,000¥ - 10,000¥ rebate which is $650 usd. http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B009CNVPFU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1387234827&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL60

The rebate is only 10,000 yen. There should be a link to the cash back somewhere in the description, it's not showing for me on the mobile site. Sorry if I got your hopes up!

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Oh god, there's a 10% rebate on everything Olympus in my country. Someone stop me from buying that loving 75 f1.8. Or the 60 macro...

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Fuji President:

No FF.
No XPRO1 model replacement (for now)I speculate they will refresh the Xpro1 body when they upgrade the sensor to a higher MP count.
Committed to keeping the APS-C cameras refreshed with firmware updates.

“We want you to use our camera longer and longer in your life.”

Fujifilm: Shut up and take pictures.

You know, I like this approach Fujifilm has. Keep your products, we will update/improve them where/as we can.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gently caress you Fuji. Upgrade your cameras with meaningless buzzword features so I can get a great deal on the perfectly good units people will ditch just to have The Latest Thing™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Martytoof posted:

gently caress you Fuji. Upgrade your cameras with meaningless buzzword features so I can get a great deal on the perfectly good units people will ditch just to have The Latest Thing™.

Nikon: The Latest thing.