Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Fina posted:

It looks like the DLC for 12/17 may have been leaked from some Steam metadata somewhere, a Muse 5-pack:

Nothing off of their best album, but also nothing off of their worst two albums. I guess I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
And my fingers are officially destroyed, I got my bends to hit the desired notes finally but when I moved on to chords and started doing Em, those tiny little strings were like hot pokers.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Toadsniff posted:

And my fingers are officially destroyed, I got my bends to hit the desired notes finally but when I moved on to chords and started doing Em, those tiny little strings were like hot pokers.

:ssh: psst, I think you can chintz it by just fretting up if necessary.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

duckfarts posted:

:ssh: psst, I think you can chintz it by just fretting up if necessary.

I'll have to play without my index finger now, sure enough I have a blister and I don't think I should keep playing with it there. Lesson learned here, don't keep playing after your finger tips start hurting.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
When your fingertips hurt, drop tune and play easy rhythm arrangements. Or be sensible and take a break.

Bit of a general question here. What's a good riff to practice for improving little finger strength?

I can stretch from 5-10 with my index and third finger for single notes and I've got the reach to do 4-10 with index-pinky but it's just so much slower than my other fingers. Also get stalled playing drop tuned power chords with all four fingers at times.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Verizian posted:

When your fingertips hurt, drop tune and play easy rhythm arrangements. Or be sensible and take a break.

Bit of a general question here. What's a good riff to practice for improving little finger strength?

I can stretch from 5-10 with my index and third finger for single notes and I've got the reach to do 4-10 with index-pinky but it's just so much slower than my other fingers. Also get stalled playing drop tuned power chords with all four fingers at times.

Just play with it. Fret a note and then trill with your pinky up some frets. Look up some basic finger exercises and do those. You don't even need to be plugged in.

If you have money there are tools that let you practice and build up finger strength in individual fingers for about $15-$20.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Verizian posted:

drop tuned power chords with all four fingers at times.
Um, you can just bar with your index finger and reinforce that with your middle finger.

For finger strength, you could do trills to get fingerswole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDP9VkhAsxw

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure issues with the pinky are a strength or flexibility issue.. it's mostly a muscle memory thing where you train yourself to be able to control the finger with more precision. In day to day life we do almost no detail work with the pinky so I think our nervous system kind of cheats on giving it processing power. With enough repetitions you can teach your body that you do in fact want to use that pinky and to please start being awesome at it.

I'd suggest sitting on the couch with the guitar while watching TV, and just run through the pentatonic minor scale a billion times. It has three four fret stretches you can use to make your pinky more mobile. Start with the first position, then slowly expand to using the full neck.

This article shows the other positions, some of them will give the pinky a serious workout:

http://guitar.about.com/od/specificlessons/ss/pentatonicscale.htm

(though I don't think of them as positions like the article talks about, it's actually just the pattern of the first position expanded over more of the fretboard)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
One of the biggest disservices you can do to yourself as either a beginning guitarist or a beginning typist is ignoring your pinky finger. It's really important to resist the urge to cheat and just use your third finger for everything because the habit takes a long time to break.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

prom candy posted:

One of the biggest disservices you can do to yourself as either a beginning guitarist or a beginning typist is ignoring your pinky finger. It's really important to resist the urge to cheat and just use your third finger for everything because the habit takes a long time to break.

I try to get my pinky in on the action as much as possible but when doing the beginning stuff in RS, there isn't really any advice on it either so far. Is it bad practice to just throw in your pinky for stuff you'd normally just use your index for or should you really use it when doing slides like 12, 11, 10, 9 and so on?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Born to be Wild is a nice strechercise. The 7-12 isn't a massive stretch by any means but if you keep your ring finger on 9th it gets the job done nicely.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Got customs working last night, playing "I Ran" is pretty hilarious and fun.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-rocksmith-2014-edition/5006899 $35.99 Digital Download (PC/Mac)

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Extra 20% off code GFDDEC20

Price is $29 after that.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone know the best place to sell a sealed copy of the PS3 version? It was on sale at target and I bought it for the cable, but don't need a console copy...

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

App13 posted:

Anyone know the best place to sell a sealed copy of the PS3 version? It was on sale at target and I bought it for the cable, but don't need a console copy...

Ebay/Craigslist probably. Or in the SA Mart if someone is looking. (Is this 2014 or Rocksmith 1?)

App13
Dec 31, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

Ebay/Craigslist probably. Or in the SA Mart if someone is looking. (Is this 2014 or Rocksmith 1?)

It's 2014, I'll try the SA mart, since I don't have an active Craigslist community in my area. Thanks for the advice

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Tis the season! If it was cheap, give it away to a goon in this thread who wants the songs from the original Rocksmith but only has 2014.

I'm assuming that you bought the original version, not 2014.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Nocheez posted:

Tis the season! If it was cheap, give it away to a goon in this thread who wants the songs from the original Rocksmith but only has 2014.

I'm assuming that you bought the original version, not 2014.

It's the 2014 version. The pack was on sale for $50, which is what the cables were going for in this neck of the woods, and I got the PC/Mac version on the steam sale for cheap... I'd love to give it as a gift, but not if they have to turn around and spend the money on a cable. I'll probably hang on to it for a while until I find someone who wants it. $20 isn't really worth the hassle of selling, in my opinion.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

App13 posted:

It's the 2014 version. The pack was on sale for $50, which is what the cables were going for in this neck of the woods, and I got the PC/Mac version on the steam sale for cheap... I'd love to give it as a gift, but not if they have to turn around and spend the money on a cable. I'll probably hang on to it for a while until I find someone who wants it. $20 isn't really worth the hassle of selling, in my opinion.

In that case, sell it to someone who only needs that version.

I was able to get a cable by buying the X360 version from Best Buy online for $10.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

2014 is $30 for a Steam key with coupon code "GFDDEC20" here:

http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-rocksmith-2014-edition/5006899?adtrackingid=cmju029

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1HseYncckQ

Now everyone can hear Aching Head

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
That is quite possibly the worst song I've ever heard. Now that these guys are in the game maybe the can check out Session Mode and see what a scale is.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
$49.99 again on Amazon for PS3 and 360 (with the cable).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D6PTMSW

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

That is quite possibly the worst song I've ever heard. Now that these guys are in the game maybe the can check out Session Mode and see what a scale is.

Actually, it's pretty much one of the best songs in the game. Though it's a lot better + more fun on bass.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Bass main here. Song really blows and I don't know why everyone keeps circlejerking on it.

There's a lot of great bonus songs in RS2014. This is the worst song by far.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
USED Rocksmith 1 for Xbox 360 is $4.99 at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocksmi...smith&lp=7&cp=1

YMMV as it's instore only.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Macavity posted:

Bass main here. Song really blows and I don't know why everyone keeps circlejerking on it.

There's a lot of great bonus songs in RS2014. This is the worst song by far.

Because we don't have anything resembling Mr. Bungle in any game till now.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Fina posted:

It looks like the DLC for 12/17 may have been leaked from some Steam metadata somewhere, a Muse 5-pack:

No Big Freeze :(, nothing off of 2nd Law, nothing off The Resistance??? What the heck. I'm still going to buy it, though.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Factor Mystic posted:

No Big Freeze :(, nothing off of 2nd Law, nothing off The Resistance??? What the heck. I'm still going to buy it, though.

It's funny because most people are ecstatic nothing from those albums made it into the pack.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
There are Muse tracks people are working on for customs, so that might fill in some of those gaps. I'm not into the band personally so, meh more stuff I won't buy.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'm not a huge Muse fan but I'm happy to get an official Hysteria chart because most of the customs I've played have just been awful.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

toymach1ne posted:

Because we don't have anything resembling Mr. Bungle in any game till now.

C'mon now that's not entirely true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ld87X3DP4

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
what are the muse songs in the pack?

Factor Mystic posted:

That is a good thing because nothing off those albums are worth playing on guitar. I bet it will make a great dlc for the upcoming SynthSmith 2015 game though.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 14, 2013

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Fina, are you planning on porting your Metric customs to 2014 at some point? Because those were some of my favorite customs in RS1 and i'd love to have them in 2014 as well!

And toymach1ne, thanks for mentioning Mr. Bungle, i was inspired to check out some of their stuff and they're great.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

One of the best feuds in the history of rock and roll.

Meanwhile, throw me on the pile we won't see Uprising or Madness in the DLC. I'd rather burn to death than listen to those songs again.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Titty Hero posted:

Actually, it's pretty much one of the best songs in the game. Though it's a lot better + more fun on bass.

The intro sounds like a really annoying ring tone but there's a few fun parts mixed in that as people have said, sound like Mr Bungle/Mike Patton. Speaking of, Retrovertigo was one of the best customs for RS1 and the most relaxing way to practice strumming barre chords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyh2cxJCp0

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, I've been working on upgrading all of my customs. It's taking a bit of time to go through them and add new features and create new tones for them. A few of them need more work than others, especially the first few I made. For instance the chorus in Gimme Sympathy was bugging me and I think I've got it sounding better. I think the solo in Sick Muse needs a bit of work too, it's kinda hard to tell what the guitar is playing and what the synth is playing in parts.

Hopefully I'll have the Metric and Clutch customs all fixed up in a week or two.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Verizian posted:

The intro sounds like a really annoying ring tone

Reminds me a bit of Melt Banana or The Residents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

toymach1ne posted:

Reminds me a bit of Melt Banana or The Residents

Dillinger Escape Plan - another Patton connection spotted!

(Although I think everyone on the planet is three degrees of separation from a Mike Patton project)