Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
And it's a paradox alike in the sense that half your empire will turn on you for playing too well.

These moments are the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Please buy Distant Worlds now and all the expansions while you can because its the best 4x space game you will love it and it's on sale. Get it. Get IT.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

This is about as good a price as we're likely to see for this game so if you're looking for a 4X get it right now. It's not perfect but it's just about as good as the genre gets.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

The General posted:

There's a sound replacement mod that I really like too. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3050750&mpage=1&key=%EF%BF%BD
Replacing some of the more jarring sounds with different ones. I only really needed it because I let the game run while I was sleeping, and the original sounds kept waking me up.

BRRRRRT BRRRT BRRRRRRRRRRT drove me to the brink, that was the first sound effect to go, luckily you can import whatever sound effect you want instead but god drat they couldn't have picked a worse warning sound.

Also, DW is the best 4x hands down, if I want my fix it's always the go to game. Paid $120 for everything last year and I don't regret it.

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 26, 2013

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Holy crap this game is so good. I strongly urge anyone who is on the fence about this to buy it while it's on sale.

When I first started out it felt like the game was playing itself and I didn't know what was going on. Then I started to understand what's going on and realised this is the most deviously ingenious way to learn a game. Before I knew it I was managing my exploration, colonization and fleets while dabbling around in everything else and making sure I had places to refuel my ships at. After getting an idea about research I started setting long term goals for that as well.

At this point I haven't fought a war, I'm merely defending my assets from pirate attacks, or engaged with the AI in any meaningful way, but am totally hooked.
There is a lot of visible depth for me and I haven't even touched on the more daunting aspects like colony management or ship designs yet. Not to mention my race is freaking Cthulhus.

Stop complaining about the price and buy this game.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
According to the devs on the distant worlds forum there should be a big patch landing sometime this week to clear up the worst bugs in Shadows.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

King Doom posted:

According to the devs on the distant worlds forum there should be a big patch landing sometime this week to clear up the worst bugs in Shadows.

Is there a good place on their website to find patch notes?

EDIT: also, what are the things the AI is most likely to mismanage with a highly automated empire? I.e., what are the things my empire will most benefit from me personally handling?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 7, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

What's the value of Shadows if I'm not really interested in playing as a pirate faction or pre-warp civ? I know it expands the ground war game a bit, but in terms of under-the-hood stuff anything that really makes the game a step up from Legends?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yes. It's a completely revamped engine that helps eliminate some of the inexplicable performance issues the game is plagued with.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

FredMSloniker posted:

Is there a good place on their website to find patch notes?

EDIT: also, what are the things the AI is most likely to mismanage with a highly automated empire? I.e., what are the things my empire will most benefit from me personally handling?

There are no patch notes released as of yet so the only way to check whats been fixed is read their tech support forum and see what threads Elliot has commented on. As for AI its ship design and taxes. Always design combat ships to be the biggest you can build and always put taxes to zero until a planet reaches max population at which point you put them up until the planet has 5-10 happiness. For your homeworld at the beginning you alternate between no and high taxation.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

What's the value of Shadows if I'm not really interested in playing as a pirate faction or pre-warp civ? I know it expands the ground war game a bit, but in terms of under-the-hood stuff anything that really makes the game a step up from Legends?

They added support for hardware acceleration so now the game can actually use your GPU instead of having the CPU draw everything. This improves late-game performance by a lot. There's also design templates for the AI so their ship designs suck less along with a number of other small improvements to game mechanics.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

The single biggest problem with the AI right now is there's no way to tell them "stay the gently caress away from this system/sector". They'll gladly head into dangerous systems, or your constructors will decide to build a mining station on a planet that's five sectors away from your territory. Keeping constructors on manual can solve this problem but it can get irritating to have to pause every time one finishes a job and tell it where to go next. You could also just go around to a bunch of planets you want to work and queue a station there, but the game seems to occasionally forget that you've done so. So neither solution is ideal.

That's my biggest beef with the game right now. Keep a close eye on your constructors and your scouts to make sure they're not getting hurt or wasting huge amounts of time.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

SovietPotatoe posted:

There are no patch notes released as of yet so the only way to check whats been fixed is read their tech support forum and see what threads Elliot has commented on.

Well, where will the patch notes be/where are patch notes for previous patches?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Well, where will the patch notes be/where are patch notes for previous patches?

They've always been on the forums, although I'm not sure if they delete the old patch notes threads or just unsticky them (or maybe just replace the text outright). No idea where to find them anymore if they're not in the old forum posts.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

nessin posted:

They've always been on the forums, although I'm not sure if they delete the old patch notes threads or just unsticky them (or maybe just replace the text outright). No idea where to find them anymore if they're not in the old forum posts.

The most recent patch is always stickied, the others are unstickied and you have to use the forum search to find them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: Never mind I'm illiterate.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 9, 2013

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

e: never mind. I also had a failure to read. :downs:

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 10, 2013

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Patch notes and public beta are available now by the way
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3492264

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Can someone guide me through installing the mods recommended in the OP (GEM, Gloom, Explosion, Sound, and Extended) in such a way that they all work together and don't conflict? I'd appreciate it.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
I just put them all in the folders as their readme's instructed, there were no conflicts.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

I was thinking of picking this up seeing as its on sale at the minute, it seems to be a pretty large scale Space 4x, is this correct?

It also seems to come somewhat highly reviewed, which is what is tempting me to buy it. I was wondering though, it doesn't seem extremely popular, is there a better space 4x out there that I should be considering playing also, that everyone else is playing, or is the lack of popularity just down to the genre?

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Tindahbawx posted:

I was thinking of picking this up seeing as its on sale at the minute, it seems to be a pretty large scale Space 4x, is this correct?

It also seems to come somewhat highly reviewed, which is what is tempting me to buy it. I was wondering though, it doesn't seem extremely popular, is there a better space 4x out there that I should be considering playing also, that everyone else is playing, or is the lack of popularity just down to the genre?

Popularity is more down to lack of marketing, 2D graphics and the steep price tag. In terms of other 4x there are of course plenty of other good games out there but this is definitely on of the best, especially in terms of scale.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
If the game was on Steam and at a sane price it'd be one of the top sellers within minutes of going up there. It really is a drat good game. Be sure to get the beta patch for Shadows if you get all the xpacks though. Seriously. Either that or look forward to being spammed with THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE THERE IS A RESOURCE SHORTAGE

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

SovietPotatoe posted:

Popularity is more down to lack of marketing, 2D graphics and the steep price tag. In terms of other 4x there are of course plenty of other good games out there but this is definitely on of the best, especially in terms of scale.

King Doom posted:

If the game was on Steam and at a sane price it'd be one of the top sellers within minutes of going up there. It really is a drat good game. Be sure to get the beta patch for Shadows if you get all the xpacks though. Seriously.

Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot I think.

In regards to the patch would that be the one found here: Patch 1.9.0.8? Or wait, is there an in-game downloader?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So why isn't this game on steam if they stand to make millions on it? Is it some weird no drm ever philosophy even though most people are ok with steam now?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Tindahbawx posted:

Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot I think.

In regards to the patch would that be the one found here: Patch 1.9.0.8? Or wait, is there an in-game downloader?

Nope, the latest public version of shadows is 1.9.0.11, which you can get via the games autoupdate.

The beta patch is 1.9.0.12, you need to register your game with the Matrix Members Club in order to get it.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Ramadu posted:

So why isn't this game on steam if they stand to make millions on it? Is it some weird no drm ever philosophy even though most people are ok with steam now?

That question has been asked a billion times on the Matrix forums and the official answer is always that they evaluated all the options and don't think they can gain anything from publishing on Steam.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SovietPotatoe posted:

That question has been asked a billion times on the Matrix forums and the official answer is always that they evaluated all the options and don't think they can gain anything from publishing on Steam.

I'm not quite sure I understand how. I mean, yeah, you make a hell of a lot less per sale on Steam, but at the same time, you get actual marketing beyond word of mouth. Hell, the only reason I know about Distant Worlds is from reading a let's play from here, and all of my friends who enjoy 4x games only know about it through me.

Hopefully Dominions 3/4 being on Steam will give other niche developers an incentive to put their games on Steam as well.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ramadu posted:

Matrix Games are insane people who actually hate money is why.

DW is a superb 4x, probably the best of recent times, and one of the best ever. It's STILL pricey even on sale but if this genre is your thing you won't regret it for a moment and even if it's not I'd be surprised if this didn't convert you.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'd say we should add something to the OP, or even the thread title, saying stop posting about putting it on Steam, but frankly there's not much signal in this thread to begin with.

Anyone want to fix that by sharing stories about the game? I would, but at the moment I'm waiting for the beta patch to go gold, as it were.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm not quite sure I understand how. I mean, yeah, you make a hell of a lot less per sale on Steam, but at the same time, you get actual marketing beyond word of mouth. Hell, the only reason I know about Distant Worlds is from reading a let's play from here, and all of my friends who enjoy 4x games only know about it through me.

Hopefully Dominions 3/4 being on Steam will give other niche developers an incentive to put their games on Steam as well.

In my case I stumbled upon Distand Worlds randomly in a shop somewhere. Since I never heard about the game prior to seeing it, I decided I must have it. (Impulse buyer worst buyer.)

My story about the game would be modding my own little theme three times in a row: Every time I finished up and started to play, a new expansion came out, messing everything up again. In the end I spend more time modding than playing! :v:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

FredMSloniker posted:

Anyone want to fix that by sharing stories about the game? I would, but at the moment I'm waiting for the beta patch to go gold, as it were.

If you play with the age of shadows setting there are two ships you can find in your home solar system, a damaged one and one you can just board and claim. Sometimes when you claim an abandoned ship you are given co-ordinates to other locations, lost ships and ruins. roughly ten minutes after starting the game I'd claimed the ship and found the location of the pozdac weapons test zone, an area that contains the second most powerful ship in the game. Pirates are soooooo much less of a hassle when you have the Devestator flying around. At this point the Devestator has three captains, four fleet admirals and I've left it automated. Every so often I get messages about finding supplies and techs from the bases it blows up and another admiral arrives.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Distant Worlds: Shadows has updated to 1.9.0.13! Patch your games accordingly.

EDIT: the difference between the 1.9.0.12 (beta) and 1.9.0.13 (release) change history:
  • CRASH FIXES
    • Fixed crash when exiting game that uses custom theme with extra races (message says: missing race images)
  • BUG FIXES
    • Hyperdeny components now working properly for ships (not just bases)
  • OTHER
    • Improved freighter network for transporting resources
    • AI now more willing to build more freighters when necessary

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 20, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So my pirate cartel is cruising around the south end of a recreation of the galaxy in size 900 ships I found in a debris field, a fleet of insanely lethal cruisers I custom built, and some high tech frigates. One problem though, I can't find any goddamn Chromium.

There's seriously like two planets in the entire south half of the galaxy that have it. And both are owned by an empire. I have a facility on the planet that controls part of it, but apparently the planet is permanently blockaded? Is there any way to get more out of it?

Also, the death ray doesn't seem to do any damage to stations. How does it work?

Edit: Apparently the gunners on the carrier I retrofitted to be the Death Star have terrible accuracy. That was why they were missing the stationary object the size of a small moon only a few pixels out. :wtc:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 22, 2013

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So I'm finally getting into the game, and I'm trying the 'play as one guy in one ship' method of working my way into the game. There's just one thing, though; the computer keeps transferring him off the ship, and when I go to transfer him back on it asks if I want to turn off automatic transfers entirely. Is there some way to say 'no, this one guy I want to move manually'?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

FredMSloniker posted:

So I'm finally getting into the game, and I'm trying the 'play as one guy in one ship' method of working my way into the game. There's just one thing, though; the computer keeps transferring him off the ship, and when I go to transfer him back on it asks if I want to turn off automatic transfers entirely. Is there some way to say 'no, this one guy I want to move manually'?

You can just say no do not turn automation off and then click the option to never bring up the warning again. The whole warning message is misleading in that you can make tweaks to automated processes while not disabling it. The only thing I know of that will get reset is taxes, as the AI checks them periodically.

Also, putting him in a fleet might ensure he doesn't get transferred off of it. I had a fleet commander that never moved off of the ship after I did that.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Archonex posted:

You can just say no do not turn automation off and then click the option to never bring up the warning again. The whole warning message is misleading in that you can make tweaks to automated processes while not disabling it. The only thing I know of that will get reset is taxes, as the AI checks them periodically.

I tried that, but it didn't help.

Archonex posted:

Also, putting him in a fleet might ensure he doesn't get transferred off of it. I had a fleet commander that never moved off of the ship after I did that.

I did not, however, try that. I'll give it a go!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm really starting to get into this game but I have a few quality of life questions:

It's there any way to set up rally points? I keep trying to build fleets but as soon as the ships are built they scatter to defend various mining stations.

How do I get other spaceports to build ships? I use the build order menu but ships are only ever built at my homeworld.

I also need some economy tips. I was playing on manual and was barely breaking even on income. I set it to full auto and my income jumped instantly to +24000 so obviously there is something under the hood that I don't know about.

Why do colony ship's not appear in the build menu? I can build them if I right click on the starport.

When I select a bunch of ships sometimes I get a few non combat ships in there but I can't seem to shift or control click to remove them from selection.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Travic posted:

I'm really starting to get into this game but I have a few quality of life questions:

It's there any way to set up rally points? I keep trying to build fleets but as soon as the ships are built they scatter to defend various mining stations.

How do I get other spaceports to build ships? I use the build order menu but ships are only ever built at my homeworld.

I also need some economy tips. I was playing on manual and was barely breaking even on income. I set it to full auto and my income jumped instantly to +24000 so obviously there is something under the hood that I don't know about.

Why do colony ship's not appear in the build menu? I can build them if I right click on the starport.

When I select a bunch of ships sometimes I get a few non combat ships in there but I can't seem to shift or control click to remove them from selection.

Ships are built according at the biggest shipyards I think. If you are only building 10 ships at a time they will probably queue at your homeworld. If you're building 50 they will be queued elsewhere as well, be aware that oftentimes smaller shipyards are not well stocked with resources and there can be production delays.

Colony ships and construction ships are built on planets not stations. To see the production use your construction yard window and click planets.

The AI is really poor at taxes, it will try to balance taxes so colonies are at least happy but it hurts growth. The best way to go about it is to set taxes to manual, put every colony to 0% and put it to 5 below their happiness when they reach full pop. Your income will explode to hilarious heights. Quite often I start a new game, put my homeworld to 0% and build bare minimums, only increasing taxes when I need an infusion and relying on civillian income otherwise (when they build ships). When the planet is at 12 billion set it to 40% and never worry about money ever again. Doing this feels gamey however since you will have a crushing advantage over your less developed AI neighbours who don't have your income.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Won't putting the taxes to 40 piss off the citizens?

Also I can never seem to get enough resources. Im always having shortages, but I'm mining the poo poo out of everything in my sphere of influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Travic posted:

Won't putting the taxes to 40 piss off the citizens?

Also I can never seem to get enough resources. Im always having shortages, but I'm mining the poo poo out of everything in my sphere of influence.

Population happiness is only relevant for pop growth. Once a colony is maxed out you can just hike the taxes up and it won't matter. I usually go with something that gives me 90% compliance as that seems to give the most money.

Are you mining the right resources? Also spaceports hog resources while mines require resources to retrofit so if you have too many of either you'll run out.

• Locked thread