Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Mountains, not much else you can do with much of that land. I believe it's mostly new growth forest though, Japan was almost entirely deforested but was one of the first countries to begin reforestation and conservation, I think in the 1600s or 1700s?

I haven't read it yet myself, but in one of the Ask/Tell history threads someone recommended this book, which is all about Japanese forest management under the Tokugawa shoguns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
Nineteenth-century ship voyages from the US Maury collection (source):

Contemporary shipping volumes (from Halpern et al., "A Global Map of Human Impact on Marine Ecosystems", Science 319(5685):948-952, 2008):

There are some striking differences here. The Panama and Suez canals; 19th-century volumes around west Africa; traffic to/from Japan and across the north Pacific. I think the first map is all or mainly American ships, but it's still a fascinating comparison.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

AlexG posted:

Nineteenth-century ship voyages from the US Maury collection (source):

Some of my ancestors worked on a boat shipping tea (presumably opium too) from Formosa to Massachusetts. You can really see that route on the map.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 13, 2013

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

No one goes to Venice anymore.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How come all the trade around africa goes to north america and almost none to europe? This is actually mirrored in EU4 where the most efficient route to get poo poo from Asia to Europe ends up going through north america.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

The wind and current patterns flow in a big circle that's something like West Africa-North America-Europe-West Africa. It was a lot more important in the age of sail, I'm not sure why the difference is so pronounced now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DerLeo posted:

The wind and current patterns flow in a big circle that's something like West Africa-North America-Europe-West Africa. It was a lot more important in the age of sail, I'm not sure why the difference is so pronounced now.

It isn't as critical as it was in the old days, but it is still more efficient to drive your ship with the wind/currents instead of against.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

How come all the trade around africa goes to north america and almost none to europe? This is actually mirrored in EU4 where the most efficient route to get poo poo from Asia to Europe ends up going through north america.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Had a feeling it was something like that, cool.

Also, it might become more important again

Lots of talk about putting some sort of sails back on cargo ships.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Also, it might become more important again

Lots of talk about putting some sort of sails back on cargo ships.

I've heard of kites too.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Crossposting from the weather thread, here's a cooler demonstration of the phenomenon

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/equirectangular=-60.95,0.44,273

The effect of prevailing winds on trade makes this political, right?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

withak posted:

Not politically-loaded, but related to the cool map above.

From Stratfor, so take with a grain of salt

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

menino posted:

I'd like to see something like that for the entire world. I'd imagine that decent chunks of Africa, North America, and Eurasia would be underwater, along with almost all of Australia.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

menino posted:

That must be literally only Japan.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

(watermark badly removed by yours truly)

Caption: A Norwegian reader ascertains that "the Scandinavian peninsula comprises Norway and Sweden, while the Danes are - and have always been - contintental, even if they basically do not like being compared to their brothers in the south."

Bo Bojesen (Danish newspaper cartoonist), 1972, http://www.kb.dk/images/billed/2010/okt/billeder/object119639/da/

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Someone needs to shop in an awkward beta dude getting friendzoned to the side of the other guy :finland:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bishop Rodan posted:

I'd like to see something like that for the entire world. I'd imagine that decent chunks of Africa, North America, and Eurasia would be underwater, along with almost all of Australia.

A dot map isn't quite right for this without much higher resolution, but you can imagine the general gist of it. Some places like the Midwest USA seem populated more than this map represents, though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Carthag posted:

(watermark badly removed by yours truly)

Caption: A Norwegian reader ascertains that "the Scandinavian peninsula comprises Norway and Sweden, while the Danes are - and have always been - contintental, even if they basically do not like being compared to their brothers in the south."

Bo Bojesen (Danish newspaper cartoonist), 1972, http://www.kb.dk/images/billed/2010/okt/billeder/object119639/da/
Shame on this Norwegian. A Norwegian should know, of all people, that water unites, not separates.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shbobdb posted:

Someone needs to shop in an awkward beta dude getting friendzoned to the side of the other guy :finland:

I would like this very much

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

A dot map isn't quite right for this without much higher resolution, but you can imagine the general gist of it. Some places like the Midwest USA seem populated more than this map represents, though.

I always forget that even though our north Great Plains area is pretty empty, that bit of Canada right above it is surprisingly populated.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Shbobdb posted:

Nah, finland should be someone reaching over and clinging onto sweden. Estonia should be the awkward loser being friendzoned because they will never be nordic.

Grand Fromage posted:

I always forget that even though our north Great Plains area is pretty empty, that bit of Canada right above it is surprisingly populated.

The only surprise about that is that people still live in the frozen shithole that is winnipeg, despite cars and planes existing to ferry them out of there.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I'm a little surprised almost all of Canada is more sparsely populated than Siberia.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

made of bees posted:

I'm a little surprised almost all of Canada is more sparsely populated than Siberia.

Wouldn't that be due to the Soviets forcibly building cities out there by fiat?

EDIT: It's magnificent how clearly you can make out the Nile river region. A big coiling snake in the middle of an uninhabited desert!

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Also, I could be wrong, but it looks like you can still see an old Silk Road route.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The Silk Route used to also be full of Nestorian Christians.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

DrSunshine posted:

Wouldn't that be due to the Soviets forcibly building cities out there by fiat?

The Soviets are definitely the bigger factor, but Siberia was also just much more populated by natives than Northern Canada. There are something like 5 million indigenous people in Siberia compared to only a couple hundred thousand in Canada, I thought?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The BBC has an article about border-drawing in the Middle East, from the Sykes-Picot agreement. Some maps:

You see an international zone around Israel/Palestine. The article doesn't mention this, but the major powers on both sides of WW1 were trying to please zionists by promising them a homeland (along with promising independence for the arabs).

While there is a lot to talk about there, my questions is is anyone knows why the site of old Antioch is also in the international zone.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Koramei posted:

The Soviets are definitely the bigger factor, but Siberia was also just much more populated by natives than Northern Canada. There are something like 5 million indigenous people in Siberia compared to only a couple hundred thousand in Canada, I thought?
There's about 750,000 First Nations and Inuit in Canada (plus another few hundred thousand Métis), but most of them live in the populated bits of Canada as well. There's only about 50,000 Inuit, for instance, who don't make up enough for a dot on that map. So partly it's that there's less indigenous people in Canada, but mostly it's that Northern Canada has a whole lot of nothing in it.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
One explanation as to why Siberia has cities in the middle of nowhere and Canada doesn't is local building materials. Although the central parts of both regions share a boreal forest ecology, the trees tend to be different; Siberia has mostly larch trees whilst Canada has spruces and pines.

Larch produces excellent wood for construction of buildings, boats, furniture etc as well as fuel, and is extremely cold and water resistant. Spruces and pines tend to be ok for these uses but not nearly as good; any group of settler trying to build habitation with them would eventually move on to a better source of building materials.

Speculation of course, but possibly a factor.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

The BBC has an article about border-drawing in the Middle East, from the Sykes-Picot agreement. Some maps:

You see an international zone around Israel/Palestine. The article doesn't mention this, but the major powers on both sides of WW1 were trying to please zionists by promising them a homeland (along with promising independence for the arabs).

While there is a lot to talk about there, my questions is is anyone knows why the site of old Antioch is also in the international zone.

Hatay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatay_Province

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Riso posted:

The Silk Route used to also be full of Nestorian Christians.

Ugh, Nestorian Christians?! Just like the Monophysites: they're worse than the Mohammedans :hist101:

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Learn Useless German may be a goldmine for this thread. Or a language nerd thread.

No great surprises. Germany and Poland are real close, so are Sweden and Finland. Just don't say it to either's face. :glomp:
And of course, no regional differences are noted. I'm sure Catalan is spoken all over Spain.

E:

Ras Het posted:

That map doesn't seem to make sense. There is obviously no way Mirandese is the second most spoken language in Portugal, but the map doesn't allow you to interpret it as, like, regional minority languages either, cos of Austria.

Probably just straight ripped from the CIA World Factbook without much thinking. It lists Turkish as the second most common language in Austria and Portugese and Mirandese as the two official languages of Portugal.

Darth Various fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 14, 2013

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
That map doesn't seem to make sense. There is obviously no way Mirandese is the second most spoken language in Portugal, but the map doesn't allow you to interpret it as, like, regional minority languages either, cos of Austria.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Belarus is clearly the highlight of this one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

PittTheElder posted:

Belarus is clearly the highlight of this one.
I just looked it up on Wikipedia, I had no idea it was this much: 72% of Belarussians speak Russian as their first language, 11.9% speak Belarussian as their first.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, I think a lot of them identify very closely with Russia as well, hence why they're so close politically. Really I'm surprised they're even still a separate country, but very happy about it, since pretty borders.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think the map makes sense if you think of it like this:

The majority language of the UK is English. Of those people who do not speak English as their first language, the largest group speaks Welsh.

Apparently in Austria there's a lot of people who have Turkish as their first language, more than any other minority group. I'd expect that to be the case in more European countries, but I guess I'm wrong.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Bishop Rodan posted:

Well, the vast majority of the world's population lives in cities near either the coastline or a river for obvious reasons, so large swathes of every landmass would be missing. The population distribution in Japan is totally unremarkable for a such a mountainous country.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think the map makes sense if you think of it like this:

The majority language of the UK is English. Of those people who do not speak English as their first language, the largest group speaks Welsh.

Apparently in Austria there's a lot of people who have Turkish as their first language, more than any other minority group. I'd expect that to be the case in more European countries, but I guess I'm wrong.

Yeah, I figured that's how it worked, so I guess the data that this map is based on says that the vast majority of Portugal's Spanish-speakers know it as their second language, and so there are more Miranese-speakers than the Spanish-as-first-language speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

duckmaster posted:

One explanation as to why Siberia has cities in the middle of nowhere and Canada doesn't is local building materials. Although the central parts of both regions share a boreal forest ecology, the trees tend to be different; Siberia has mostly larch trees whilst Canada has spruces and pines.

Larch produces excellent wood for construction of buildings, boats, furniture etc as well as fuel, and is extremely cold and water resistant. Spruces and pines tend to be ok for these uses but not nearly as good; any group of settler trying to build habitation with them would eventually move on to a better source of building materials.

Speculation of course, but possibly a factor.

I doubt that was a factor. My impression is that the single biggest reason for this is that Stalin almost completely dismantled the entire industrial base of western Russia during WWII and moved it east of the Urals, out of the reach of the Germans. After the war, these factories (and cities) that sprang up continued to grow as part of their Five Year Plans, spurred on by the discovery of enormous amounts of natural resources. indirectly, it helped to further establish their claim to Siberia and fulfill their desire for a unified, Baltic-to-Pacific empire.