Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'd go with the optical 400 over the laser 500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah, I don't own the S versions but from what I understand they're mostly the same as the original models aside from the case styling. I used the G500 for 3 years or so and recently switched to the G400 and I've found it to be a little more responsive when playing FPSes. The only thing I don't like is not being able to tilt the scroll wheel to scroll horizontally and that the G400 is a little lighter.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Got my DeathAdder in the mail today. I really want to like it because it does has a great feel to it, but I can't get used to a palm mouse. I've been using a G9x for years now. Is there any sort of replacement for the G9x? Apparently I am a fingertip grip person. Logitech seems to have discontinued this form factor in their new lineup :smith:

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Just chiming in to say that I still really like my SteelSeries Sensei Black after ~1 year (at least 8 months). I used to use an Intellimouse Explorer, but this has been a great replacement and has a minimal amount of extra bullshit.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So you guys recommend the base 400 over either the S(is it seriously only styling) or the 500? Is there any reason that the higher models are, from what you guys making it seem, actually not as good as the 400?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
You probably don't need the extra DPI (i mean maybe you're one of very few people that actually uses above 3600) and optical is generally more reliable/accurate than laser

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bob NewSCART posted:

So you guys recommend the base 400 over either the S(is it seriously only styling) or the 500? Is there any reason that the higher models are, from what you guys making it seem, actually not as good as the 400?

I went from a MX518(G400s relative) to a Razer Naga to a G600, and I still feel that the MX518 had the best tracking.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Sorry, in my post at least I meant the 400S over the 500S. Definitely get the 400S over the 400 as the S has a reinforced cable to prevent internal fraying (what killed my G9).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah, I was just referencing G400 vs. G500 as it's what I own, get the new version.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

My G9x is starting to flake on me (I think the cable is loose). Since there doesn't seem to be any chance of a direct replacement I'm having trouble choosing. I slightly prefer optical mice and I have small hands/claw grip and require 5 buttons but don't use more than that.

I was looking at either the G500s (because I love the scroll wheel) or the Zowie FK. I read some reviews about the Zowie that make it sound like the scroll wheel is excessively chunky -- I consider the G9x wheel to be perfect in that it is clicky and easy to always flick one time when you want to, or to give a more substantial turn when you want that instead. I had a M500 with the dual mode and loved it, the G9x has the switch on the bottom which is much less useful but still nice to have. Other than the scroll wheel, the zowie FK seems to be half a cm smaller in every dimension and optical. I'm a little unsure about the coating on the FK.

So has anyone used an FK for a long time? Does the scroll wheel become smoother over time (one review mentioned it did over the course of the review), does the coating hold up? Reviews are nice and all but a mouse holding up a year later is more what I'm after.

Is there another, smaller mouse with good quality and 5 buttons?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you're not afraid of voiding warranties/etc then you can usually mod scroll wheels to be free spinning by just taking the mouse apart and removing the little ratchet that increments the wheel action. I actually did that by accident with an old MX510 that I was taking the weight out of. Totally invented the free-spinning wheel before Logitech did :colbert:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I don't like leaving it in freespin mode when I play games. With the M500 I could flick it on when on really long webpages or PDFs, with the G9x it was so much a burden to turn the mouse over it was off most of the time I'd have wanted it on.

I was hesitant to look at Razer stuff because of old bias but I discovered that the Taipan is just about the same size as the FK. I don't know much about Zowie and I figure Razer may have changed in the 10 years or so since I looked seriously at non-logitech mice. I hear their software sucks, is there anything else I should know?

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
So I've been using Razer deathadders for about 5 years now and I've not had much chance to try out other mice, but I dropped my deathadder when unpacking my desktop at home, and the left mouse button seems to not register a click one in 10-15 clicks. I'm a palm grip person, and I've been hearing the Logitech g500 is good? Anything else you guys would recommend?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Can anyone think of a good quality, reasonably priced mouse that meets all (or most) of these requirements:

- Wireless
- Optical
- Rechargeable?
- No stupid coating or anything like that
- No drivers needed
- No dumb 'gaming' gimmicks or anything.

Rechargeable I suppose is optional but I'd rather something I never have to replace the batteries on. 5 buttons isn't really needed but would be a nice bonus.

Second question, how does the Logitech G100 stand up as a simple/cheap wired mouse?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Can anyone think of a good quality, reasonably priced mouse that meets all (or most) of these requirements:

- Wireless
- Optical
- Rechargeable?
- No stupid coating or anything like that
- No drivers needed
- No dumb 'gaming' gimmicks or anything.

Rechargeable I suppose is optional but I'd rather something I never have to replace the batteries on. 5 buttons isn't really needed but would be a nice bonus.

Second question, how does the Logitech G100 stand up as a simple/cheap wired mouse?
If you don't need your wireless mouse to be a gaming one(ie: has an always on sensor that doesn't sleep), I really like the Microsoft Explorer Touch. It feels and tracks great, and it has a touch strip instead of a wheel, which works fantastically. It uses haptics so you know how many "clicks" you're scrolling, and you can flick it for long documents, and the haptics gives you feedback as to how fast it's scrolling. As for "rechargeable", just get rechargeable AAs; I find those way more convenient than having to remember to dock or have a cable handy. Also, it's apparently $16 shipped which is dirt cheap.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

What the deal on those BlueTrack sensors on those? Never even heard of them before. I need something that handles hair and crap getting in there really well is the main thing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I need something that handles hair and crap getting in there really well is the main thing.

Are you mousing on a dog? This is a problem looking for a non-tech solution.

Cuck Everlasting
Feb 4, 2008

The left button on my RAT5 just started double clicking on me, so I decided to replace it and went for a Logitech G700s, as per your collective recommendation. I have never used a more perfect mouse, both for gaming and general use. The ergonomics are perfect, response is instantaneous, tracking is butter smooth, and even the software is nothing to complain about. I couldn't be happier with this mouse, I don't know why I ever stopped using Logitech peripherals.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Are you mousing on a dog? This is a problem looking for a non-tech solution.

Animal hairs get in mice sensors, poo poo happens. Some mice (ie every Laser mouse I've ever used) poo poo themselves hardcore when this happens, some mice (ie every Optical mouse I've ever used) handle them without a problem. I have no idea what specifically those BlueTrack sensors are but they seem to be just laser mice from what I can find, so I'll probably give them a pass.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Animal hairs get in mice sensors, poo poo happens. Some mice (ie every Laser mouse I've ever used) poo poo themselves hardcore when this happens, some mice (ie every Optical mouse I've ever used) handle them without a problem. I have no idea what specifically those BlueTrack sensors are but they seem to be just laser mice from what I can find, so I'll probably give them a pass.

if you're talking about those Microsoft mice with blue sensors I'm 99% sure they're Phillips optical sensors.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

So, my G602 died for the first time a few days ago. A little over two and a half months of battery life. I pretty much kept it on performance mode the entire time. Definitely satisfied with my purchase.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

if you're talking about those Microsoft mice with blue sensors I'm 99% sure they're Phillips optical sensors.
Microsoft Bluetrack is a wide beam blue LED. It's crap compared Logitech Darkfield. I have the Anywhere MX and it will indeed track on glass.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What the deal on those BlueTrack sensors on those? Never even heard of them before. I need something that handles hair and crap getting in there really well is the main thing.
Optical or laser, bluetrack or darkfield, it isn't going to matter here since all of them will just track the hair if it's passing over them. Your solution would just be a microfiber cloth you can wipe the sensor and the mousepad with to get the hairs out of the way.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
What's the best way to get an RMA with logitech? I had to RMA my G5 like 3 times before I gave up and went back to my old mouse. I think I did it through their website or email. Is phone better? I decided to give logitech another chance because my Mx510 from practically a decade ago still works perfectly and my mx518 is also holding strong. The g100s came out and it's exactly what I expected at a great price, $25. Except the left click stopped working properly after 3-4 months of use. The switch presses, but only half of the presses register. Also, is it possible to get them to send you one before you send yours in?

Also, does opening the mouse void the warranty? The weight pretty much triggered my RSI so I had to remove it. Heavy mice suck anyway. It's the actual switch for left mouse that is faulty and there's no way to damage that while opening the mouse. It makes the loud clicking noise and actuates, but left click just doesn't happen 1/3 times. There's also a bunch of reviews starting to crop up from people who have owned it for 3-5 months with a similar problem.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 16, 2013

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
It's not the kind of mouse for me but I noticed the Func was on sale on Massdrop so i thought I'd drop it here as I remember people liking it. Then again I've read the last 2 pages and it seems they may have all started dying :/ Either way here's the link for anyone considering it -

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/func-ms-3c

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

What's the best way to get an RMA with logitech?

I did phone several years ago for a keyboard/mouse combo, and it went smoothly. The last couple of times I've gone through the website (which shits itself in the presence of ad blockers), and that's turned into a prolonged e-mail exchange.

In my experience, they won't ask for anything to be sent back-- though that's probably a matter of how much the devices are worth. I've just been sending M705's back and forth the last few years, and they've never asked for me to send one off.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I emailed their tech support through their site form, got a reply, sent the information requested and had a new mouse shipped out the next day. It was incredibly easy.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
As far as wireless mice go, I really like my Logitech M310 but they do have that rubberized material on the sides, and they seem to be getting phased out in favor of newer stuff like the 525. Uses 1 AA, which you can sub a rechargable one for but it does seem to last quite awhile and quite honestly they're really snappy, functional and rather inexpensive mice.

I had an issue with one of the company's cheapo k120 keyboards, I sent tech support an email after doing multiple tests and after snapping a photo of the keyboard serial and sending it off to them they responded by shipping an entirely new keyboard over to Hawaii, no cost nor need to send anything back. I guess the trouble and cost of having to have people take in, inspect, validate and repair hardware is not worth it when they can get a lot more customer appreciation and savings by just saying screw it, ship them a new part and hope it doesn't happen again.

As far as the Bluetrack thing goes, I picked up a Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500 at a discount store and the thing was terrible. Nothing was wrong with the tracking, it was pretty good really, but the scroll wheel was awful -- it was a loose rubber band around a stationary plastic wheel, no ratcheting at all, and middle click had a noticable lag between clicking and actually performing whatever action you wanted. It doesn't even freescroll, which would be the only reason I would give up the ratchet option for. Not to mention that despite being a Microsoft product, it completely screwed the driver install up after being plugged into my Win 7 machine, making USB inoperable and forcing me to restart and dig through the device manager to clear out the failed driver entries. At least it worked fine on the Vista (hah!).

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I just had the logitech M510 I use at work die on me and I'm looking for another wireless mouse that is similar but i was looking for something which is little bigger (the m510 was smaller than I was thinking it was going to be) and is a right handed mouse if possible. Any recommendations?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Bugsy posted:

I just had the logitech M510 I use at work die on me and I'm looking for another wireless mouse that is similar but i was looking for something which is little bigger (the m510 was smaller than I was thinking it was going to be) and is a right handed mouse if possible. Any recommendations?

I picked up the M705 when it was on sale on Amazon for 30 bucks. I really like it a lot, very similar to my G500 in shape and feel. Only thing I don't use on it is the app switcher button.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

I emailed their tech support through their site form, got a reply, sent the information requested and had a new mouse shipped out the next day. It was incredibly easy.

I wish I had your luck: it took over a week for me earlier this month, and the guy ended up giving me a hard time over what counted as proof of purchase.

Mouse arrived via UPS late last week though, and they refreshed the warranty period, so in the end I guess I can't complain too much. :shobon:

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Astrobastard posted:

It's not the kind of mouse for me but I noticed the Func was on sale on Massdrop so i thought I'd drop it here as I remember people liking it. Then again I've read the last 2 pages and it seems they may have all started dying :/ Either way here's the link for anyone considering it -

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/func-ms-3c

Thanks for the site! I was actually looking for the Func MS-3 to try out. A few more buys and the mouse will be down to $29.99 :)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
So I haven't read through all 100 pages or whatever, but what do people think about mouse pads? My Belkin cloth mouse pad that I've had for eight years is getting worn away enough that it's sort of gripping my mouse more than I'd like. Should I buy a $10 SteelSeries mouse pad or is that for chumps or what? Do I want a massive hunk of stainless steel or a cloth "almost a napkin" pad or what? With the exception of very short stints on other peoples' computers I've used like four mouse pads my entire life so I don't really know what sort of things are out there that I might like. I play games and stuff, so precision and ease of movement would be nice.

edit: just took a peek at this Team Liquid post linked elsewhere in the thread and it looks like that has good info so maybe this post was a waste! Sorry, thread denizens.

editedit: turns out that thread has no specific recommendations, so, yeah, chime in with your mouse pad advice if you have any.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 17, 2013

AutoFool
Sep 28, 2004

I am the Power
I use a xtrac ripper xl cloth mouse pad and I love it. I also have some no name brand metal pad and I love that too. Downside to the cloth is it gets dirty quickly, the upside to that is you can wash it and make it brand new. Upside to the metal is it takes awhile to get dirty, downside is you can't really clean them. On my metal pad I wore away the finish on it where I rest my palm, and then it started to turn pink... From my dead skin cells or something. As far as tracking on the pads I don't really notice a difference.

On the mouse front I ordered and used the logitech G602 and while the wireless was nice, I quickly encountered interference and "lag" problems. Best buy was and maybe still is having a 25% sale on logitech mice so I figured maybe I would pick up the G700s. When I got to best buy I was actually able to hold the 700s and it felt terrible in my hand and the buttons felt cheap (although as a demo mouse maybe they had already given up the ghost). With that in mind and with my love for my old MX518 I figured I would just pick up the G400s as it is the new version. After a week of use I'm in love with it just as much as I was with the 518. It feels great in my hand, and while the side buttons and the scroll wheel feel the tiniest bit cheaper, it is still a wonderful experience.

All that being said it does seem like the 400s has the same problem that my 518 has. I only really experience it playing WoW. I'll be holding down the right button and moving my screen around when it suddenly snaps to a different view without me moving it there. So say I was looking straight ahead and then bam I'm staring up at the sky, or in the opposite direction.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I bought a func1030 hard mousepad a long, long time ago, and consider it a waste of money. It was hard to keep clean and rather small.

I now have an enormous steelseries mousepad and it has enough room for my mouse and my cat. I think the cat appreciates it more than I do. I now prefer cloth pads for the times my wrist is resting on the desk and I still use the giant pad because I don't see any reason to replace it. I would not pay extra for this much room if I needed a new mousepad in the future. At the time I was trying to play Quake Live with a sensitivity less than 1 and it seemed like a good idea.

I actually used a bigger mousepad for about 3 years in between. It tracks fine with a laser mouse, but it's not perfectly flat and the surface seemed to punish the old tiny skates mice used to have. Easy to clean though! And space for all manner of housepet, I reckon.

My recommendation is to buy a black cloth mousepad that's big enough for whatever you want it for.

edit: actually, unless you don't like something about what you're used to, buy whatever you're used to. It's entirely up to your comfort and preference.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 17, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I used to use some super old, falling apart, dirty grimy cloth pad with a silicone wrist rest. Eventually though I got used to just using my drawing tablet as a mousepad, which works fine with my logitech G1 and M310 but has occassional issues with some other mice. It works well for me, since if I feel like just sketching something out, I can shove the mouse off the thing and start.

If it wasn't for the tablet being very mousepad like (it is similar to a Vistablet PenPad) I probably would just use that cheap standard sized Mario Party mousepad I got awhile ago. I'd probably only upgrade to one of those fancy pads if cloth pads become unable to hold up well or track accurately, which I haven't seen happen too often personally.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I like the razer goliathus speed pads. They're large and smooth and I use very low mouse sensitivity.
Got a large at work and an X-large at home. The x-large can hold an angled keyboard, a medium wacom, and still have plenty of space for the mouse.

Also they are laundry washer safe, i clean it every month or so.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

calandryll posted:

I picked up the M705 when it was on sale on Amazon for 30 bucks. I really like it a lot, very similar to my G500 in shape and feel. Only thing I don't use on it is the app switcher button.

That's the other one I was looking at, and I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like TekMats for whole desk mats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Logitech RMA process went really smooth. That was way easier than I remembered it being. They accepted a screen capture of my amazon purchase history as a receipt with no questions asked.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

So I haven't read through all 100 pages or whatever, but what do people think about mouse pads? My Belkin cloth mouse pad that I've had for eight years is getting worn away enough that it's sort of gripping my mouse more than I'd like. Should I buy a $10 SteelSeries mouse pad or is that for chumps or what? Do I want a massive hunk of stainless steel or a cloth "almost a napkin" pad or what? With the exception of very short stints on other peoples' computers I've used like four mouse pads my entire life so I don't really know what sort of things are out there that I might like. I play games and stuff, so precision and ease of movement would be nice.
I am pretty anal about mice and mousepads, but it's really different strokes for different folks as long as they track fine when it comes to mousepads. And everything tracks fine these days.

SteelSerie's cloth pads, qck and its variants, are pretty solid and cheap. QCK mass or any of the thicker ones will wear out a bit faster due to flayed edges than the super flat ones, but they are cushioned so they are more comfortable when you aren't playing intense games. If you don't care how it looks then it will probably last for 3-4 years. Considering they're around ten dollars, who cares. Some nice benefits are they're easy to clean, just toss them in the dishwasher or wash them in the sink. They don't wear out the feet of your mouse either, so mouse skates might as well not exist.

There's probably better or equivalent cloth pads from competitors around now, too. I just haven't bothered looking into them because I still have around 8 packaged qcks of various kinds sitting around that I got for free.

Then there's hard pads of various types, rough pads, and a bunch of other stuff. I'd say skip the hassle unless you really, really like to use your mouse on a very smooth or rough surface. Then have fun with the maintenance, picking the right pad, how loud some of there are, mouse skates wearing out, and all that junk.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 18, 2013