Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I dunno, $399 was exactly what I expected for both consoles. The XBone price was the surprise, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Supercar Gautier posted:

I dunno, $399 was exactly what I expected for both consoles.

Fair enough for yourself, but the elation surrounding Sony's $399 E3 reveal suggests otherwise for the general public.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think it was a shock at all. Some people assumed that they would charge a fortune for the PS4 because that's What Sony Does, but that's silly. They really burned themselves with the PS3 launch and they knew it. Why would they ever repeat such an embarrassing and costly mistake?

Wasn't most of that price tag the at the time incredibly expensive BD drive?

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

Wasn't most of that price tag the at the time incredibly expensive BD drive?

Yup, and even at the launch retail price they took a massive loss (parts cost was $800 or something absurd) on every console sold.

In retrospect it's more obvious that Sony had learnt from the PS3 and wouldn't launch at an unreasonable price, but $399 is still a very good price for the hardware.

edit: not so much actually, dug this up from the PS3 launch time:

BR drive compared to the 360's DVD one was +$100. No idea what comes under 'other components', maybe some hardware decoders for the BR playback? Launch 360 was costed at $325 for comparison

Edmund Honda fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 15, 2013

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

To add insult to injury it wasn't even that utilized since any game that came out for both the 360 and ps3 ad to fit on a dvd.

It also begs the question: Why not use SD cards or something similar? Install from Internet or USB drive seems reasonable and you don't have to pay sony fat stacks for putting an optical reader in the console.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

It also begs the question: Why not use SD cards or something similar? Install from Internet or USB drive seems reasonable and you don't have to pay sony fat stacks for putting an optical reader in the console.

Because this was the time frame when HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray was an actual thing and Sony was trying to push their format as the winning one. X-Box had an HD-DVD player which is easy to forget because HD-DVD died a hard death.

Edit: Unless you mean in modern consoles, and the reason why is Blu-Ray is just cheaper for the size it holds even considering the licensing costs.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

No the xbox had the possibility for you to buy an HD-DVD add on USB drive. The machine used dvds for games.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Boiled Water posted:

To add insult to injury it wasn't even that utilized since any game that came out for both the 360 and ps3 ad to fit on a dvd.

I think it became much more noticeable later in the console's life because there were several xbox games that had multiple discs while the PS3 only had 1. GTA V, Dragons Dogma are a few off the top of my head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

No the xbox had the possibility for you to buy an HD-DVD add on USB drive. The machine used dvds for games.

Yes, I meant at the timeframe the PS3 was released. It was smack dab in the middle of the format war, which is why the 360 got that add-on.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Boiled Water posted:

This is something I've been kind of surprised about -- I would have thought that the days of buying optical media for consoles were very numbered and that more consoles would move towards this kind of system. End of the day, though, the upfront cost of a disk drive versus larger capacity drives probably will keep things like this for a while. I'm assuming that its an exponetial increase in cost for storage space on consoles, which may be incorrect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

This is something I've been kind of surprised about -- I would have thought that the days of buying optical media for consoles were very numbered and that more consoles would move towards this kind of system. End of the day, though, the upfront cost of a disk drive versus larger capacity drives probably will keep things like this for a while. I'm assuming that its an exponetial increase in cost for storage space on consoles, which may be incorrect.

Anyone who thinks this doesn't live in one of the many, many, many places where internet is heavily capped or incredibly slow. There are places where downloading a single PS4 game would use up most of your internet cap for the month. We're still really far away from an era where optical media is going away entirely, at least until infrastructure improves in the biggest markets.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 15, 2013

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

hubris.height posted:

End of the day, though, the upfront cost of a disk drive versus larger capacity drives probably will keep things like this for a while. I'm assuming that its an exponetial increase in cost for storage space on consoles, which may be incorrect.

The 500gb drive the PS4/Xbone use is around $35, anything bigger than 1TB is where it starts getting unreasonably expensive right now.

It would have cost Nintendo very little extra to go with a 500gb SATA drive over the 32GB of flash in the Wii U. Probably would've blown their power allowance though.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Counterpoint: HDD space has never been cheaper. Yes flash memory and SSDs are nice and expensive, but a good ol' hdd can be had for next to nothing. This might be why the two new consoles are shipping with them. And for the areas that don't have internet connectivity in abundance, would you be opposed to buy games on usb sticks instead of disks? While the supply side of things might have to change a bit it would save massively on the licenses for optical drives.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Counterpoint: HDD space has never been cheaper. Yes flash memory and SSDs are nice and expensive, but a good ol' hdd can be had for next to nothing. This might be why the two new consoles are shipping with them. And for the areas that don't have internet connectivity in abundance, would you be opposed to buy games on usb sticks instead of disks? While the supply side of things might have to change a bit it would save massively on the licenses for optical drives.

Do you really think it is cheaper to mass-produce high-speed 40GB USB sticks than it is to pay optical media licensing fees and mass produce Blu-Rays?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It might be cheaper than making a proprietary disk system. Actually it would probably be cheaper just to license BD from sony instead of this weird 'we control all the aspects' thing.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone who thinks this doesn't live in one of the many, many, many places where internet is heavily capped or incredibly slow. There are places where downloading a single PS4 game would use up most of your internet cap for the month. We're still really far away from an era where optical media is going away entirely, at least until infrastructure improves in the biggest markets.

Going to go ahead and admit that I do not even consider slow internet or bandwidth caps. Its easy to forget that some places aren't as lucky as I am with internet service.

Edmund Honda posted:

The 500gb drive the PS4/Xbone use is around $35, anything bigger than 1TB is where it starts getting unreasonably expensive right now.

It would have cost Nintendo very little extra to go with a 500gb SATA drive over the 32GB of flash in the Wii U. Probably would've blown their power allowance though.

Oh wow. Thanks for this info.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

Going to go ahead and admit that I do not even consider slow internet or bandwidth caps. Its easy to forget that some places aren't as lucky as I am with internet service.

Yeah. :smith: It's the kind of thing which shouldn't be an issue but a lot of countries are just not investing in it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

It might be cheaper than making a proprietary disk system. Actually it would probably be cheaper just to license BD from sony instead of this weird 'we control all the aspects' thing.

They do use Blu-ray discs, they just don't pay for the license fees to play films on the drive. It's the same with the Gamecube and Wii using mini DVDs and DVDs/Dual-layer DVDs respectively.

The Dreamcast actually used a proprietary format, the GD-ROM, which used the same laser as a CD but used some technique to fit 1.2 GB on to a disc rather than 700 MB. Since it wasn't possible to duplicate the discs, pirated copies would have to remove data to fit it into 700 MB and run off a CD-R.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Edmund Honda posted:

Well anything that would have raised the price of the system is probably not a good thing. I don't really care about the internal storage, as I buy all my games on disc and will never fill the 32GB of storage. And if I do? Plug in an old external drive I guess.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Cross-posting from the PS4 thread:

MZ posted:

UK sales figures are in, 250k units for the PS4, 170k for the Xbone, and 150k for the Wii U...after an entire year.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-02-playstation-4-uk-launch-sales-are-over-250k

So the Xbone isn't quite as doomed as the internet said it would be. But god drat that Wii U.....

I think we can call WiiU in the UK a dead cause.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but think of where we were in 2005 when the 360/PS3 launched, and where we are now - in 2005 you would be the one saying that nobody would ever download a full 15GB game on their console. In another 5 years, they might not even sell discs anymore - its nearly impossible to predict that far in the future with technology anymore.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

abagofcheetos posted:

Yeah but think of where we were in 2005 when the 360/PS3 launched, and where we are now - in 2005 you would be the one saying that nobody would ever download a full 15GB game on their console. In another 5 years, they might not even sell discs anymore - its nearly impossible to predict that far in the future with technology anymore.

I think you're underestimating just how many regions have been stuck with the same lovely 3MBps dsl lines for a decade now and won't be seeing an upgrade anytime soon.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I think I'd probably kill myself if I ever had to go back to a time before FiOS. :smith:

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I live in Austin, which is the nerd capital of the south, and we still don't have widespread residential fios. Time Warner is the only ISP that serves my house, and I pay stupid amounts of money for about 12 mbit.

Discs are going to be around for a long time if that's the current state in even high tech cities.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

abagofcheetos posted:

In another 5 years, they might not even sell discs anymore - its nearly impossible to predict that far in the future with technology anymore.

Discs or some form of media will be around for quite awhile, I think you're being overly optimistic about internet access and its deployment. I pay $54/month for 5mbit DSL (with 150gb cap) that rarely reaches those speeds, my only other option is cable internet which goes up to 12mbit but is closer to $75/month.

I don't want to download 20 gigabyte games. That's nearly an entire day of sitting around waiting for something to download before I can play it. And while my DSL line is being used to download a game, that means that netflix is basically unusable and even something as simple as web browsing is a pain. The technology just isn't widely enough available to force a large percentage of people to suffer through digital download only.

abagofcheetos posted:

Except in 5 years we all may be using LTE for home use. It is terribly expensive now, but remember it wasn't that long ago it cost $.10 to send a loving text message.

It never cost that much to send a text. The technology was always cheap, that's just what the carriers charged because people were willing to pay it. LTE will never, ever be a suitable substitute for a land line, and especially not within 5 years jesus do you even know what you're talking about? The same places that can't get wired internet access ALSO have poor wireless access!

The Shep fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 15, 2013

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
^^^^^^^
How can you say LTE will never be good for home use? The latency and download speeds are better than most home connections right now, and obviously it never cost the carriers $.10 a text message, and guess what, it doesn't actually cost the carriers $10 a month per GB of bandwidth they sell you. Eventually the costs will come down to something reasonable. Why do you think Verizon is so eager to blanket the country with LTE, and not so eager to build out FIOS? Because it is cheaper to deliver broadband through the air than through the ground.

Equilibrium posted:

I think you're underestimating just how many regions have been stuck with the same lovely 3MBps dsl lines for a decade now and won't be seeing an upgrade anytime soon.

Except in 5 years we all may be using LTE for home use. It is terribly expensive now, but remember it wasn't that long ago it cost $.10 to send a loving text message.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 15, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

^^^^^^^
How can you say LTE will never be good for home use? The latency and download speeds are better than most home connections right now, and obviously it never cost the carriers $.10 a text message, and guess what, it doesn't actually cost the carriers $10 a month per GB of bandwidth they sell you. Eventually the costs will come down to something reasonable. Why do you think Verizon is so eager to blanket the country with LTE, and not so eager to build out FIOS? Because it is cheaper to deliver broadband through the air than through the ground.

You're talking about the service where people get charged steep fines for going over a pitiful bandwidth limit, which resulted in the service providers claiming that there was no demand for high bandwidth Internet services when people were really just scared shitless of paying $100 in fines because they wanted to watch Netflix during their lunch break.

We're a long way away from LTE supplanting wired connections, and it's not because the technology isn't ready.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fallom posted:

You're talking about the service where people get charged steep fines for going over a pitiful bandwidth limit, which resulted in the service providers claiming that there was no demand for high bandwidth Internet services when people were really just scared shitless of paying $100 in fines because they wanted to watch Netflix during their lunch break.

We're a long way away from LTE supplanting wired connections, and it's not because the technology isn't ready.

No kidding, that is why I brought up the $.10 text messages example. The technology is there, meaning the only reason it isn't feasible is because of business decisions. Eventually that will change. Not next year obviously, but 5 years from now, can you honestly make a definitive prediction? Do you remember how lovely cell phone service and plans were when the 360/PS3 launched?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

abagofcheetos posted:

No kidding, that is why I brought up the $.10 text messages example. The technology is there, meaning the only reason it isn't feasible is because of business decisions. Eventually that will change. Not next year obviously, but 5 years from now, can you honestly make a definitive prediction? Do you remember how lovely cell phone service and plans were when the 360/PS3 launched?

I don't think the technology is there though. There are limits on licensing, spectrum frequencies, etc. While I agree that bad business decisions have a lot to do with our subpar wireless access in the country, I don't think that alone accounts for why we don't have cheap unlimited high speed wireless.

An LTE speedtest on my phone at home is about 8mbit, which is only slightly faster than my home DSL line and with worse latency. It's a good technology but not the broadband savior its being made out to be. It would still take the better part of a day for me to download a huge game on it.

And since I'm getting way off topic I'll drop it at this point.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 15, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

abagofcheetos posted:

Yea I can make a definitive prediction. 5 years from now we will still have blu-rays / physical media and won't be using LTE over land lines for home use.

TaurusOxford posted:

Cross-posting from the PS4 thread:

I think we can call WiiU in the UK a dead cause.

Does anyone have numbers for other regions of the world? I don't expect them to be much better, but I am curious.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Does anyone have numbers for other regions of the world? I don't expect them to be much better, but I am curious.

Current estimates are 4.3 million Wii U's sold in the world.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea I can make a definitive prediction. 5 years from now we will still have blu-rays / physical media and won't be using LTE over land lines for home use.
This is getting way off topic so I guess it should end, but I never meant that physical media would disappear, just become even less important. Remember, Netflix instant came out 5 years ago in 2008, and look what it did to the physical movie business - it has been in a serious decline ever since.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

America LTD is ~2.5m Wii U, >1.1m PS4, >900k Xbone.

Worldwide LTD ~4.5m Wii U, >2.1m PS4, >2m Xbone.

Japan will be very interesting.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Edmund Honda posted:

I'm just amazed that the Xbone sold half as much as the Wii-U in that short amount of time.

It's going to get real interesting once the Steam Box gets up and running.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 15, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Edmund Honda posted:

I think we can safely assume there will be very few sales for the Xbone in Japan.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fulchrum posted:

I think we can safely assume there will be very few sales for the Xbone in Japan.

They pretty much put all their eggs with North America to begin with.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Anyone still got that "By Americans, for Americans" poster?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fulchrum posted:

Wasn't the original Xbox a better seller than the 360 in Japan? I think it was 2mil xbox 1(no, not the new one :v:) and 1.5m 360s.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fallom posted:

To be fair, I remember when internet use was charged by the hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fulchrum posted:

Anyone still got that "By Americans, for Americans" poster?

That's exactly how a guy explained why Microsoft was better than Sony when he was arguing with his friend in line at Best Buy and thought 360 outsold PS3. He was Canadian too.

Great article on the failure of Microsoft in Japan: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-13-why-xbox-failed-in-japan

• Locked thread