Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Parker Lewis posted:

I like Aviate a lot.

I will use it again when it will use my wifi hotspot to know when I'm at work. I work beside a mall so it thinks I'm shopping all the time. I emailed them so here's hoping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Can BeyondPod be set to just auto delete played episodes? The options seem to be for episode age only. But I'm listening to some really old episodes and only want deletion after listening.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I just got my Nexus 5 the other day and I haven't activated bit with a carrier yet, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to import contacts to this thing. It auto imported my contacts from gmail, which I hadn't updated in several years so I have ex girlfriends and internet people who I don't really want on my phone. Is there an easy way to like import my Facebook friends numbers and pictures and poo poo? This hangouts thing that I have to use for texting is confusing. This is my first smart phone, also. I am bad at computer.

I don't know if this belongs in here or the android phone thread but whatever. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Stan Taylor posted:

I just got my Nexus 5 the other day and I haven't activated bit with a carrier yet, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to import contacts to this thing. It auto imported my contacts from gmail, which I hadn't updated in several years so I have ex girlfriends and internet people who I don't really want on my phone. Is there an easy way to like import my Facebook friends numbers and pictures and poo poo? This hangouts thing that I have to use for texting is confusing. This is my first smart phone, also. I am bad at computer.

I don't know if this belongs in here or the android phone thread but whatever. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

For one thing, you'll want to clean up your contacts at contacts.google.com.

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002
So my girlfriend wants to ad the twinkle effect of Google's Autoawesome to a picture of our Christmas tree that she took. I know that the snow effect can be added by shaking the device, is there any way to add the twinkle effect at will?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

Can BeyondPod be set to just auto delete played episodes? The options seem to be for episode age only. But I'm listening to some really old episodes and only want deletion after listening.

Yes. Go to Settings -> Player Settings -> After Playing and change it to either "Delete and Play Next" or "Delete and Do Nothing".

In an unrelated note, I just bought the Pro versions of Action Launcher and Lux. I've played around with Action Launcher in the past and it's a really nice launcher, but there are just a few features in Nova that I really like and don't want to give up. That said, it's worth $2 to support a good dev, plus I never know what the future holds for the app. I've considered getting Lux for a long time, but the stock brightness settings on my Note 3 are just ridiculousky high, so it was finally time.

Hypothetical Hose
Jun 6, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

I've used Ubersync, seems to do a good job with the whole Facebook sync thing.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

rolleyes posted:

Seconding this. I'd say it's more likely that a critical service is either stopping unexpectedly or taking a very long time to respond. Most phones have a hardware or low-level watchdog timer which will reboot the device if it gets to zero, and one of the things the operating system does is constantly reset this timer. Service failure can cause the resets to stop and the timer to expire, rebooting the phone - this is the intended behavior.

Before blaming hardware failure I'd try doing a factory reset and ensure you're running the latest firmware for your phone. After that try running it with bare minimum apps installed for a few days to see if it behaves itself.

Checked that, one of the first things I did was a factory reset to rule out any other apps causing the problem. Oddest thing was I had to boot into safemode in order to trigger it though, before that the final button to erase the phone wouldn't click in, it turned blue if I clicked it but it never followed through. The screen has also been turning itself off though even when it probably shouldn't, it occasionally blinks off for a second during start up giving the same visual effect as if you turn the screen off with the power button.

Also before this the power button hadn't been working properly, I'd press it and it wouldn't turn the screen off or if I long pressed it would only bring the menu up once and if I clicked out of it then tried to activate it again it didn't work. Figured it was the most likely cause although if there are any other suggestions of what I can do before resorting to replacing the button I'd like to hear them.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I will be commuting out of the country tomorrow in Canada and am wondering if I am able to use Google Maps navigation with all data / wi-fi turned off except for GPS?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I tried and then bought Action Launcher because of this thread. What cool stuff can it do that I'm not thinking of? The covers and the shutters, what can they do? Beside the phone call/cover thing that the little tutorial showed. I forget the shutter example already...what is the benefit of it? I'm not very creative

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Busy Bee posted:

I will be commuting out of the country tomorrow in Canada and am wondering if I am able to use Google Maps navigation with all data / wi-fi turned off except for GPS?

Yeah, GPS will be able to pinpoint you on an offline saved map.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

UnquietDream posted:

Checked that, one of the first things I did was a factory reset to rule out any other apps causing the problem. Oddest thing was I had to boot into safemode in order to trigger it though, before that the final button to erase the phone wouldn't click in, it turned blue if I clicked it but it never followed through. The screen has also been turning itself off though even when it probably shouldn't, it occasionally blinks off for a second during start up giving the same visual effect as if you turn the screen off with the power button.

Also before this the power button hadn't been working properly, I'd press it and it wouldn't turn the screen off or if I long pressed it would only bring the menu up once and if I clicked out of it then tried to activate it again it didn't work. Figured it was the most likely cause although if there are any other suggestions of what I can do before resorting to replacing the button I'd like to hear them.

Look in your battery graph and see if it's showing charging activity when it wasn't plugged in. That's a good sign something is up, my phone used to get that a lot and that's what wakes the screen up and makes it restart when I turn it off. I've been making sure to plug in the cable at a slightly upward angle (to keep the tongue in the port away from the other contract) and I haven't had those issues since.

I've had reset issues and I'm pretty sure it's something to do with bad memory, I could get it to reliably restart by copying files over, and I got around that by constantly pushing the files over (and not deleting the partial copies that were left) until it went through - I'm assuming some half-assed filesystem checks were happening only on the places I was hitting instead of the entire drive. Until that's fixed TRIM doesn't work (since it ends up rebooting partway through), which means crappy performance after a while, including applications not responding, super slow UI responses and things like button lag.

I don't know if any of that rings a bell and applies to you - if you can get into Developer Options it's worth activating the Show CPU option and see if you get big spikes, especially the blue I/O bar. That's a good sign the phone will feel real screwy

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ante posted:

Yeah, GPS will be able to pinpoint you on an offline saved map.

I don't think it can determine a route without data though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Is there a weather widget that displays the wind chill/heat index? Weather Underground used to do this, but in the latest update they changed their widget to just show the current temperature over a zoomed in map for some reason.

They also dropped the 3-day forecast and the other weather data. That I can replace, but I'm having a very hard time finding something that shows wind chill/heat index.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

baka kaba posted:

I've had reset issues and I'm pretty sure it's something to do with bad memory, I could get it to reliably restart by copying files over, and I got around that by constantly pushing the files over (and not deleting the partial copies that were left) until it went through - I'm assuming some half-assed filesystem checks were happening only on the places I was hitting instead of the entire drive. Until that's fixed TRIM doesn't work (since it ends up rebooting partway through), which means crappy performance after a while, including applications not responding, super slow UI responses and things like button lag.

Now that does sound familiar, although it's not after awhile, occasionally (before I did the whole reset) the UI would be drat slow shortly after startup. I haven't messed with the phone too much since resetting as I just pulled the battery and considered it useless until I'd taken it apart but seeing as the problem isn't fixed I'm assuming those issues will reoccur. Is there a quick way to check for this and what can I do about it? If I'm understanding you correctly your method would be a stopgap measure and if I continued to use the phone for taking pictures/doing phonestuff with it then then doesn't that mean my phone is screwed in terms of actually fixing it rather than getting around it?

Edit: I think downloading a music track from Google Play caused a restart which I suppose would mean that you are correct or it's odd timing.

UnquietDream fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 15, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

effika posted:

Is there a weather widget that displays the wind chill/heat index? Weather Underground used to do this, but in the latest update they changed their widget to just show the current temperature over a zoomed in map for some reason.

They also dropped the 3-day forecast and the other weather data. That I can replace, but I'm having a very hard time finding something that shows wind chill/heat index.

Do you need the wind chill visible on a widget? I switched to this NOAA app, which has a nice hourly graph within the app that can be configured to show any of perhaps dozen different metrics. Also has a radar and 7-day forecast. The widget does leave something to be desired, though.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

myron cope posted:

I tried and then bought Action Launcher because of this thread. What cool stuff can it do that I'm not thinking of? The covers and the shutters, what can they do? Beside the phone call/cover thing that the little tutorial showed. I forget the shutter example already...what is the benefit of it? I'm not very creative

I use Quick Drawer and Quick Page to access apps and widgets at any time.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

hooah posted:

Do you need the wind chill visible on a widget? I switched to this NOAA app, which has a nice hourly graph within the app that can be configured to show any of perhaps dozen different metrics. Also has a radar and 7-day forecast. The widget does leave something to be desired, though.

I definitely like that app, but I do prefer to have the current wind chill visible right at start-up (the graph only displays forecasted, which is a definite plus for planning) or in a widget.

So close! And only 2 bucks, too. Maybe I'll see what the developer says about adding it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't think it can determine a route without data though.

That's true, too. I missed that part of the bit I quoted.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Profiles finally got added to the Netflix app.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

myron cope posted:

If the app has 3 lines at the bottom right you can swipe down (or whatever you set it to) to open the widget for that app. Swiping up on the home screen opens recent apps and swiping down opens the notification panel. I have it set to only have 1 page so when I swipe left or right I can open the quickdrawer and quickpage. And yeah you can set those two things to open up whilst in any app.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I'm afraid this is going to sound super nitpicky. I want a good 4x1 clock / weather / alarm widget that has semi-transparency. The native widget for my HTC One isn't transparent. World Weather Clock Widget doesn't have an alarm and also is closer to 3 x 1, center justified and I hate the way it doesn't expand far enough to the left or right. Also it shows both a digital and analog clock on the widget which is completely asinine. Glass Widgets is really lovely looking.

The alarm is optional but but the rest (widget that is fully 4 x 1 and is semi-transparent) isn't. I also want it to update hourly, with views of hourly and extended forecasts when opened.

Any similarly nitpicky people who have found an ideal solution? Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm afraid this is going to sound super nitpicky. I want a good 4x1 clock / weather / alarm widget that has semi-transparency. The native widget for my HTC One isn't transparent. World Weather Clock Widget doesn't have an alarm and also is closer to 3 x 1, center justified and I hate the way it doesn't expand far enough to the left or right. Also it shows both a digital and analog clock on the widget which is completely asinine. Glass Widgets is really lovely looking.

The alarm is optional but but the rest (widget that is fully 4 x 1 and is semi-transparent) isn't. I also want it to update hourly, with views of hourly and extended forecasts when opened.

Just create what you want with a widget builder like Zooper or UCCW.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

LastInLine posted:

Just create what you want with a widget builder like Zooper or UCCW.

Wow that's pretty great, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

UnquietDream posted:

Now that does sound familiar, although it's not after awhile, occasionally (before I did the whole reset) the UI would be drat slow shortly after startup. I haven't messed with the phone too much since resetting as I just pulled the battery and considered it useless until I'd taken it apart but seeing as the problem isn't fixed I'm assuming those issues will reoccur. Is there a quick way to check for this and what can I do about it? If I'm understanding you correctly your method would be a stopgap measure and if I continued to use the phone for taking pictures/doing phonestuff with it then then doesn't that mean my phone is screwed in terms of actually fixing it rather than getting around it?

Edit: I think downloading a music track from Google Play caused a restart which I suppose would mean that you are correct or it's odd timing.

You on a GNex too? Ok here's what I'd suggest
  • Get on the Developer Options part of Settings and tick Show CPU usage. If you don't have Developer Options, go into the About Phone section and tap the Build Number bit a few times until it says you're a developer, and then you'll have a new option on the main Settings page

• Do your business and watch the bar at the top. I think green is CPU usage and red is stuff in the kernel, and blue is I/O activity on the storage. Lots of this is bad and will make the whole phone run like absolute poo poo, including lots of app not responding failures as stuff gets blocked by the drive. You can kinda see it happening, the phone seems nice and snappy at moments when an app is loaded, but when it does anything that might involve pulling some data in it goes to pot. Lots of blue bar (especially looooonnnnng blue bar) is a sign of this

(This was always a problem with the GNex and some other phones, because they didn't implement something called TRIM, which is basically a way of marking storage as unused when you delete things. The upshot was even if you kept a lot of empty space, just writing to and deleting from the storage would leave more and more of it 'dirty', the system would prefer to write to 'clean' space and eventually that would get limited and performance would go through the floor. This is why a factory reset would make everything pristine again - everything would be marked 'clean'.)

• With 4.3 they added TRIM in a kind of compromise fashion - it won't do it live, but it'll do it every 24 hours when your phone is plugged in and it's been idle for a while. Then it'll do some housekeeping and clear things out. I personally had to do a factory reset after getting 4.3 to see it show up in the logs, it looks like this:
    code:
    12-15 04:05:25.811: I/fstrim(117): Starting fstrim work...
    12-15 04:05:44.233: I/fstrim(117): Finished fstrim work.
  • Ideally that will sort things out and make them responsive again, and your blue bar will go back to occasional appearances. Your phone will be totally usable, all the time forever (except for really demanding stuff as spec requirements advance, y'know). It's not a stopgap, it should solve things.

• The other issue is the resets, which I think are down to some bad flash memory. I basically dealt with this by using Airdroid (you can just use it in Lite mode without making an account) and just copying over a lot of files to fill up the storage. Whenever it hit a bad spot and reset, I just went back in with Airdroid, left the partial file and just sent another copy. Brute forcing it basically. Eventually it stops resetting and lets you fill the entire phone up.

• At this point it is gonna run super-poo poo - delete all your random stuff you copied over, but it'll still be bad because it needs to TRIM to get some clean space back. Ideally, letting it charge overnight will let that happen, and the next day it'll be back to normal. The only way to be sure is to look at a log and see if it happened, but that's a faff if you're not already set up for it. The blue bar is a good guide, plus the fact that if it's worked you'll actually be able to use the phone, after paralysing it by filling it up.

The resets conflict with TRIM because if you have bad memory spots, trimming will gently caress right up when it hits them, so it'll never complete, and the next morning your phone will have rebooted and you'll have no apps in memory (or it'll wake you up in the middle of the night). I literally just finished doing this whole procedure - fill fill fill, delete, let it trim - and it seems to have worked great so we'll see how it holds up. Also none of this is backed by technical proof so I'm kinda winging it, but give it a try anyway. Otherwise it might be time to warranty that phone.

Oh while this post is super-massive, check this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809
Install BetterBatteryStats from there, and see if you get a decent amount of Deep Sleep, that's the state the phone should be in when the screen's off and it's 'not doing anything' - it's always doing things here and there, but the rest of the time it should be in that low-power state. If you get low values, check the... Partial Wakelocks I think, and look for vbus_tuna_otg. If you see a lot of that, I think that's a sign your USB connector is loving around, and that's what keeps turning the screen on and making the phone think it's charging when it ain't. That could also prevent TRIM from happening if the phone never thinks it's idle.

The way I dealt with that (after poking around in the port without any success) is to plug the cable in at a slight upward angle from below (if the phone is face-up on a table), to make sure there's no downward pressure on the contact tongue inside. Same goes for disconnecting, give it a very slight downward push as you pull it out, so it tilts the connector upwards. Only gently, and it might not work for every situation, but it's worth a go. I very rarely get that issue anymore.

Much needed short version - make sure you have 4.3+, a factory reset is probably a good idea, fill the entire thing up (which may involve a lot of reboots), clear that filler once you've packed it as full as you can, try and deal with the USB port, and just let it idle on charge overnight.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

Wow that's pretty great, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

If that doesn't work for you, and you're willing to settle for 4 x 2, Dashclock has extensions for weather, alarms, and about a million other things you can customize.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Question for Lux users: what did you do with your stock brightness setting? I disabled auto brightness and set the slider around 50%. When I open Lux to create custom values, it seems like anything above 0 on the brightness slider is the same. So, does that mean I should max out the stock brightness so that 0 is full blast and then set all my custom values to subzero?

Edit: well, son of a bitch, Lux just updated and now it seems like the slider works as intended.

XIII fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 15, 2013

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
What's a good no-bullshit video player for the Nexus 7? I was delighted to see there was a VLC beta available for Android, but then it turned out it was for ARM and Intel processors only.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The nexus 7 has an ARM processor.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Maybe he bought the SPARC version.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

kri kri posted:

Profiles finally got added to the Netflix app.

Hell yeah, finally! I was starting to think they were holding back on that for some actual reason rather than just being slow. Thanks for the heads up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MX Player, BS player, and DICE player are pretty good

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Christoff posted:

MX Player, BS player, and DICE player are pretty good

I just installed MX Player and I'm probably an idiot, but how do I get it to access SAMBA shares? I've got all my videos on a separate server and can't figure out how to browse those shares.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

GobiasIndustries posted:

I just installed MX Player and I'm probably an idiot, but how do I get it to access SAMBA shares? I've got all my videos on a separate server and can't figure out how to browse those shares.

I'm not sure you can on MX Player, but if you have a file manager that does share browsing, that will open files in MX Player if you like.

Dice Player has share browsing built in

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'll look into that. BS Player can't stream 720p action sequences, and Dice Player won't open ~2/3 of my movies. Kinda my last option here.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah not sure on all that stuff moboplayer is the last one I can think of

shookwell
Oct 3, 2004
no fuckin cornflakes

regulargonzalez posted:

You can try Beautiful Widgets. You can change the colors and background. It doesn't have an alarm on it but you can make the clock a shortcut to the clock application.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

shookwell posted:

You can try Beautiful Widgets. You can change the colors and background. It doesn't have an alarm on it but you can make the clock a shortcut to the clock application.

Thanks, gonna try it out!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a simple app that can change my volume settings based on time/day/location/if I'm driving? I'm fooling around with Tasker, and this thing is way to complicated for what I want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

When I change my phone's volume, the volume control display is on screen for several seconds and it's really annoying. Is there any app/tweak/whatever to make the it disappear almost immediately after hitting a volume key?

• Locked thread