Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

To repair you just click the ore then the tool yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So I discovered a jungle planet in the beta quadrant. Covered in meat like trees. I wondered what sort of life forms would live on a jungle planet with literally a meat tree.

After a long trek, I found a Floran settlement. Answering my question with the most obvious answer. :3:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I've found those matter blocks in Apex labs. The purple guys with the red eyes that look like Glitch are just Apex in power armor.

Yes. Those guys. In the pyramids, with crystals around (crystals being an Avian thing) who yell about Kluex, the Avian god. They do use some furniture that is also present in Apex labs though. I'm not sure if this is being a bit lazy with reusing assets or if there's supposed to be an actual connection.

Cismans Burden posted:

To repair you just click the ore then the tool yeah?
Pick up ore with your mouse, right-click tool.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
FINALLY beat the UFO. Just out of curiosity, does the T2 crafting station also make all the other stuff, or would I have to have an anvil as well?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Doc Dee posted:

FINALLY beat the UFO. Just out of curiosity, does the T2 crafting station also make all the other stuff, or would I have to have an anvil as well?

You need an anvil to make a Metalworking station so

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Genocyber posted:

You need an anvil to make a Metalworking station so

That isn't an answer.

Yes, the Metalworking station covers all uses as an anvil.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Doc Dee posted:

You only need one crafting station at a time.
Unlike Terraria that needs you near several stations to make things.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, the spinning wheel and creature capture station are fairly limited use. There aren't as many strange crafting stations as Terraria yet, but we don't have everything implemented, give it time! :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zereth posted:

Well, the spinning wheel and creature capture station are fairly limited use. There aren't as many strange crafting stations as Terraria yet, but we don't have everything implemented, give it time! :v:

If I give it enough time, will the developers realize how dumb physically placed crafting stations are and let me craft anywhere? Screw verisimilitude.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If I give it enough time, will the developers realize how dumb physically placed crafting stations are and let me craft anywhere? Screw verisimilitude.

The only things you might need to craft on the go are torches and bandages, and you can craft those with the basic crafting menu.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Big steel techno pyramid literally a screen or two left of spawn at X:32749408 Y:86627433, on Alpha Xi Oph 21 II a in Alpha quadrant.

Quoting this from last page, if you go right you eventually get to a small UNSC outpost, no real loot, but they have a big XCOM-style hologlobe to steal, which looks aces.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 15, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Genocyber posted:

The only things you might need to craft on the go are torches and bandages, and you can craft those with the basic crafting menu.

I don't like being tied to a location while I craft... And I hate smelting, since I have to wait, and the refinery besides, and if those were changed to craftables I'd want to do them on the go to save inventory space.

So basically, my complaint is due to another idea I didn't mention that doesn't exist yet. A valid response!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Psykmoe posted:

Holy crap, thanks for pointing that out. And yeah, boneboos are good. Grow fairly quick and aren't bad about giving extra seeds.

Any idea about alien bacon?

Wiki says Apex merchants.

I got a chef from a spawner, and he sells them too.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Zereth posted:

Yes. Those guys. In the pyramids, with crystals around (crystals being an Avian thing) who yell about Kluex, the Avian god. They do use some furniture that is also present in Apex labs though. I'm not sure if this is being a bit lazy with reusing assets or if there's supposed to be an actual connection.

Weird, because that's the Apex Violium armor set.

Unrelated have some Human Mech Tech:

X Sector
X-19004333 Y-24892103
X Solaire Minoris III c
Grasslands Threat: 10

Human Mech Tech far to the left, past the Avian tomb and the bandit camp. It's in a sealed cave that during sunlight you can just BARELY see the opening to directly beneath you, so you have to dig into it. If you've hit the Glitch wizard you've gone too far.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zereth posted:

You get those by cooking cooked alien meat. No, I'm not sure how you're supposed to find that out without looking it up on the wiki or something.
Experimentation and curiosity? Make Meat Chunks is literally the first thing I did with Cooked Meat.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The White Dragon posted:

Experimentation and curiosity? Make Meat Chunks is literally the first thing I did with Cooked Meat.

I did it by accident!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

What do you do with the stuff you get from chopping down meat trees? I thought it could be made into bacon by tossing it into a campfire but that doesn't to the trick.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

What do you do with the stuff you get from chopping down meat trees? I thought it could be made into bacon by tossing it into a campfire but that doesn't to the trick.

Far as i can tell, you only use it for flesh blocks.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Zereth posted:

It's also possible they're supposed to just be "bandits" and the power armor means they could be of any race.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So when's a good time to use the distress beacon and take on the first boss? Is snow infantry gear plus an iron hunting bow sufficient, or is it really important to get a better ranged weapon?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

So when's a good time to use the distress beacon and take on the first boss? Is snow infantry gear plus an iron hunting bow sufficient, or is it really important to get a better ranged weapon?

That'll probably work, but I suggest getting a lot of throwing knives and/or javelins. Only took about twenty to kill it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

You can find recipes to make furniture.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If you can set up the beacon in a town you can take advantage of the local guards to help damage deal for a little while (until they all die, so make sure it's a town you don't like).

What I find best is to set up near a cliff or some other way for you to get good air time (assuming you don't have double jump yet) so you can use your melee weapon as your primary attack method. You don't take any damage for touching the boss, and a steep cliff can also baffle the spawned minions.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So are they still doing wipes?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ScienceAndMusic posted:

There are probably going to be more, but who knows when. They're trying everything in their power to limit them as much as possible.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Jabor posted:

I did it with the iron bow, sproutling's armor, and a crappy broadsword that did fire damage.

And a large supply of bandages. Would have gone a lot faster, but my mouse is crappy and registers multiple clicks at a time on occasion, so half the time I was just kinda drooling out arrows straight into the ground. Keep strafing, kill the adds on the ground every once in a while, and if you have a decent melee weapon don't be afraid to smack it when you can.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

ScienceAndMusic posted:

It is still entirely possible that there will be more wipes in the future. To my knowledge there is no concrete news nor timeline for the next patch/possible wipe.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

ScienceAndMusic posted:

They will be doing the occasional character wipe as long as they are in the first phase of the beta. Character wipes should stop being a thing once they hit phase 2. Wait until phase 2 if you can't stand the occasional universal catastrophe destroying everything.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They're trying everything in their power to limit them as much as possible.

Too bad, I guess that's because of all the QQ about the wipe in both the official and the steam forums. I'd prefer it if they just wipe with every patch that needs it until they got all the core systems working the way they should and than move on to the next beta phase. Though the 'we trying to limit the wipes' attitude might calm the masses for now, it will probably prolong the time in which wipes can happen. And for me more wipes during shorter timespan is preferable to less wipes over a longer period.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Feindfeuer posted:

Too bad, I guess that's because of all the QQ about the wipe in both the official and the steam forums. I'd prefer it if they just wipe with every patch that needs it until they got all the core systems working the way they should and than move on to the next beta phase. Though the 'we trying to limit the wipes' attitude might calm the masses for now, it will probably prolong the time in which wipes can happen. And for me more wipes during shorter timespan is preferable to less wipes over a longer period.

This doesn't really make much sense. Wipes happen because of technical reasons, not because the developers want to. If they could get away with it, they'd probably never wipe, but some changes are bound to create save incompatibilities at this stage of development.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Anyway, I'm working on a race mod. I have only the vaguest idea on how to do the modding part, but I've got some concepts done at least!

Bug People/Rome and a little Greece

Good stuff!
I'm working on a race too. So far I have only made a bunch of sprites(tho I'm pretty proud of my respawn animation, hope it looks good ingame too) and some changes to the script files in the assets folder.
Whatever you learn about making a race, drop the knowlegde in this thread too please. I'm still not sure if I have to mod something outside of assets.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Umberger posted:

It is still entirely possible that there will be more wipes in the future. To my knowledge there is no concrete news nor timeline for the next patch/possible wipe.

I think Tiy mentioned in IRC that there's at least one more definite wipe at some point in the future.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This doesn't really make much sense. Wipes happen because of technical reasons, not because the developers want to. If they could get away with it, they'd probably never wipe, but some changes are bound to create save incompatibilities at this stage of development.

You say they try to limit the number of wipes, which implies they try to find workarounds or alternative ways to implement/change things instead of risking a savegame incompatibility, which in turn would of course lead to a prolonged development time. I might have read to much into your post, but that's how I understood it, sorry if I got you wrong.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Welp that was silly, but more fun than I'd like to admit.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Weird, because that's the Apex Violium armor set.

Unrelated have some Human Mech Tech:

X Sector
X-19004333 Y-24892103
X Solaire Minoris III c
Grasslands Threat: 10

Human Mech Tech far to the left, past the Avian tomb and the bandit camp. It's in a sealed cave that during sunlight you can just BARELY see the opening to directly beneath you, so you have to dig into it. If you've hit the Glitch wizard you've gone too far.

How far past? I've dug down in a few places to no avail.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I really need bigger ships and customizable ships to be an official feature. Unlike Terraria where you could build a base for yourself, the coordinate and fuel mechanics mean that your ship needs to be your base, and it needs to be so much more. My beta feedback is that it's the most important feature currently missing in the un-modded game..

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nullEntityRNG posted:

That is neat as hell.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

nullEntityRNG posted:

Where can I get one?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

nullEntityRNG posted:

Where did you find that?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
How about they keep the fuel system as it is currently, but implement a microtransaction system to buy more?

$0.99 for a full tank! :getin:

• Locked thread