Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite part of the OP is how consistently off-model 90s Kaiki and Senjo are, even when they only show up for a fraction of a second. It has to be intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

It's been interesting to see how other characters perceive Hitagi. Through Kaiki she's more stubborn and childish, and through Hanekawa she's more pervy and emotional. Where with Araragi she's cool and confident.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's also the whole meta logic of Kaiki entirely describing his plan, so now its doomed to fail.

Entirely describing his plan and the dire consequences for failure. It's going to crash and burn spectacularly.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Calling it now. Nadeko falls for Kaiki. She decides killing Koyomi and Hitagi isn't worth the effort as she focuses on Kaiki.

Kaiki gets what he deserves.

This is total speculation, so I didn't spoiler it. If I'm right. Well, I called it. If I'm wrong. Well, I'm wrong most of the time anyway.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
That would be a bloody hilarious end to it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just got around to watching the last episode and the best part had to be when Nadeko says her string broke and pulls out the ouroboros. "Holy gently caress. She's nuts!"

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Using the Snake of Infinity for Cat's Cradle is perfectly normal!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
New Episode:

Kaiki's gonna meet the entire cast of the show before this is done. He's already met Senjougahara, Nadeko, Ononoki (and Gaen vicariously), and now Hanekawa. All that's left is Kanbaru (his end goal) and Araragi (who'll probably show up to beat him up at some point).

Also, Kaiki just became the second most fabulous man airing this season.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
That felt really short.

What the hell was in Nadeko's closet!? Way to ignore the cliffhanger, SHAFT.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Every time the up-tempo version of Kaiki's theme plays, my foot starts tapping. I can't help it.

Seeing tigerstripe Hanekawa was nice, though.

I swear to Cat.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I liked the subtle Blade Runner reference.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Kaiki's notes are great.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I like his apparent accepting of how off-putting he looks by drawing himself that way.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Coughing Hobo posted:

I like his apparent accepting of how off-putting he looks by drawing himself that way.

It is more than off-putting. He draws himself derpy with his eyes going in different directions.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

AlternateNu posted:

It is more than off-putting. He draws himself derpy with his eyes going in different directions.

Well, I didn't want to insult the guy...

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
It's the same style sketch used here when it shows Araragi's encounter with a young Hanekawa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMa5e1R4DmI

I'm not sure if I've seen them in any other scenes.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

HoneyBoy posted:

I'm not sure if I've seen them in any other scenes.

The old previews used the same drawing style.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've seen those kinds of scenes throughout the franchise. I'm not sure if they were in Bake-, but they were definitely in Nise-.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
It's one of the crewmembers' signature styles, like how they always use Hajime Ueda for the EDs.

The MadoMagi movies had preshow clips in the same style.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This is definitely a high point to the series, each episode leaves me wanting more.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Yeeeeeeeeesssss it's up on youtube :banjo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cJ9733hjV8

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Hanekawa's hair is so :krad: I can hardly stand it.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Sindai posted:

Hanekawa's hair is so :krad: I can hardly stand it.

Yeah I'd forgotten all about that.

It's nice to see her totally own this oddity thing. I swear to Cat is the coolest loving line.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I really like how Kaiki has bested (edit) Senjougahara in spoken combat every single time (which is a must, from his point of view) but cannot bullshit Hanekawa at all.

Even na-na-na-nadeko is slightly less annoying in this arc.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 16, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

trucutru posted:

I really like how Kaiki has bested Hanekawa in spoken combat every single time (which is a must, from his point of view) but cannot bullshit Hanekawa at all.

Even na-na-na-nadeko is slightly less annoying in this arc.

Nadeko dayo!

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I love that this show can make two characters meeting each other for the first time seem like the most exciting thing that has ever happened. I think I literally squeed when Hanekawa showed up on screen.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I don't know, she is still by far the least interesting character Kaiki could be talking to. I hope her scenes end soon.

Also I swear to cat was so stupid.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Just finished the shinobu ark :( pour one out for our favourite little cow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUqBM-Y4r9Q

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I love this show. Love the music.

Next week it all ends! No more Monogatari!

Until they decide to animate the rest of the books, anyway.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

:stare: Well you had a good run Kaiki, thanks for playing I guess?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
gently caress, the wait on this one is gonna be tough. I knew there was no way it was going to be as easy as Kaiki was thinking it would be to decieve Nadeko, but I'm wondering if he still has something up his sleeve. I know whatever it was in the closet is probably gonna be pretty important as well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Called it.

It was just too drat inconsistent with what we had seen from Nedeko for her to be as "dumb" as Kaiki said she was, that and the plan obviously going to fail from him describing it.

Although I'm with Black Stones, this could've been planned to fail and he had an unknown to the viewer way to win all along (but uses the info he has), or uses the information he has gathered to now improvize a way out. Probably some combination of his 100 trips or the closest secret thing.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The more agency Ononoki accrues, the better character she becomes. Her "new introduction" is always hilarious, and I found it really heartwarming when she mentioned she was going to Araragi's house just to hang out.

Yay!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

The more agency Ononoki accrues, the better character she becomes. Her "new introduction" is always hilarious, and I found it really heartwarming when she mentioned she was going to Araragi's house just to hang out.

Yay!

She really has become the perfect Snail replacement

... :(

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
Yup.

Welp, we all knew this wouldn't work. The next episode is going to be something alright.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

I kinda figured that telling Nadeko a practically immortal semi-vampire died in a traffic accident wouldn't fly...

Yeah, Yotsugi is growing on me, I kinda wanted to see her hanging out at Araragi's place.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Y'know, with all the imagery of the snake ensnaring its actual victim and whatnot both in the latest opening and in Nisio's other Light Novel adaptation, I figured people would actually cut our favorite con man a bit more slack.

I swear to Cat, you people!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Redcrimson posted:

I kinda figured that telling Nadeko a practically immortal semi-vampire died in a traffic accident wouldn't fly...

Yeah, Yotsugi is growing on me, I kinda wanted to see her hanging out at Araragi's place.

Doesn't everything that takes place only kinda happens in a metaphorical sense? To people on the 'outside' like Kaiki they're all running around with 8th grader syndrome while its real to them?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
What? No, that's never been the case. Kaiki can see Nadeko's snake hair.

Except for maybe the Karen Bee thing. I can't remember whether the Bee was real, not real, or sort of real.

EDIT: I really wish they didn't do the "flash of text too fast to read" thing. I have to know what they all say and it's a real hassle to go back and pause in the web player.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Doesn't everything that takes place only kinda happens in a metaphorical sense? To people on the 'outside' like Kaiki they're all running around with 8th grader syndrome while its real to them?

I'm pretty sure all the vampires and poo poo are as real as anything else in the show. Kaiki just rationalizes it away as childish delusions, even though I'm pretty sure he knows better. There's a lot of nuance to his character and his worldview that seems to be linked back to his college days with Oshino and the gang.

Sindai posted:

EDIT: I really wish they didn't do the "flash of text too fast to read" thing. I have to know what they all say and it's a real hassle to go back and pause in the web player.

Kaiki's in particular, especially during his conversations with Nadeko and Hanekawa, seem to be much more significant than previous arcs. Which is probably due to him having an actually adult thought process. It is getting rather annoying to keep my finger on the pause button.

Also, Nadeko's Closet is the new Eren's Basement.

• Locked thread