Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jason Clarke is John Conner????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

regulargonzalez posted:

So a while back I asked about shows similar to Chuck, with a blend of comedy + other genre that were fun, lighthearted, and didn't take themselves too seriously.
I was recommended Warehouse 13
I'm two episodes in.
Either that was a very successful troll or maybe the show gets astronomically better, but it's a pretty bad show imo. It's not really funny at all -- what jokes there are, are delivered horribly. The writing is just really poor all around. So does the show get a lot better or was it all a joke at my expense? Or maybe my tastes are just different from those that recommended it.

On the bright side, I'm watching Moonlighting and it's pretty close to what I was asking for.

It's toss that unironically supports the hosed up view that celebrity makes you special. It's sub-Eureka lazy fantasy poo poo.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I used to watch Warehouse 13 because the female lead had pretty hair, duck lips and wore business casual suits. But then in season 3 they flattened her hair, flattened her lips and put her in jeans and I just didn't care anymore.

Saul Rubinek is still pretty cool though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that really bugged me about the first episode of Warehouse 13 was that one of the artifacts was Harry Houdini's magic wallet. That's like saying James Randi is secretly a wizard. Houdini was a ghostbreaker and general debunker, if he had a magic item he would have made it public.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm two episodes in.
Either that was a very successful troll or maybe the show gets astronomically better

I don't remember W13 improving much as it went on, so if you don't like it already, it's probably not the show for you. Personally, the selling point for me is the chemistry between Pete and Myka, not the humor or concept or whatever.

Moonlighting was a fun show, from what little I remember of its original run.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

muscles like this? posted:

The thing that really bugged me about the first episode of Warehouse 13 was that one of the artifacts was Harry Houdini's magic wallet. That's like saying James Randi is secretly a wizard.

How do you know he's not :colbert:
A true wizard would want to debunk the pretenders that are defiling the good name of his craft, after all.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Manos del Sino posted:

It is. I mean, it's chock full of 80s style bad tv show stuff but it's pretty much just what I was looking for.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Well, I'm done with Almost Human. It only took five episodes for it to lapse into an utterly pedestrian procedural that barely included any futurism meant to justify it.

And Jesus Christ is Minka Kelly at this thing they call acting.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah I really hated this latest episode too.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I still like it but Minka Kelly, wow. At least try to look like you aren't going to bust out a "HI MOM!" to the camera any second.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

regulargonzalez posted:

So a while back I asked about shows similar to Chuck, with a blend of comedy + other genre that were fun, lighthearted, and didn't take themselves too seriously.
I'm two episodes in.
Either that was a very successful troll or maybe the show gets astronomically better, but it's a pretty bad show imo. It's not really funny at all -- what jokes there are, are delivered horribly. The writing is just really poor all around. So does the show get a lot better or was it all a joke at my expense? Or maybe my tastes are just different from those that recommended it.

On the bright side, I'm watching Moonlighting and it's pretty close to what I was asking for.

Try Psych. Psych has far less detractors and it could be what you're looking for.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm two episodes in.

I wasn't trolling, but I probably should have warned you that it's a bit of a rough start. The pilot wasn't good, but it gets better about 5 episodes in.

The only time I trolled was when I said Ravenswood was a legitimately good show. It is not.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Eh I'll maybe give it a try later, busy with Moonlighting and Continuum right now, the latter of which is predictable but fun with a super hot lead who looks like a morph between Ashley Judd and Jodie Foster

e: and by predictable, I mean the larger plot. I'm sure I can safely call out these future plot point (I'm currently 4 episodes in):

- Her federal agent story starts to break down at some point
- eventually she tells her partner the truth, which he doesn't believe at first but eventually accepts
- has to make a choice between returning to her time or staying back to stop a baddie. She stays.

Like a lot of time travel stories it has huge plot holes.
Why not pay Western Union or w/e to have a courier deliver a message in 2077 a week before the time bomb goes off, alerting her boss to what's up. Or variations thereof, in order to have someone else come back to pick her up. But like I said, it's fun -- and that covers a multitude of sins.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 15, 2013

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Fair enough. Continuum is good and gets better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

regulargonzalez posted:

Why not pay Western Union or w/e to have a courier deliver a message in 2077 a week before the time bomb goes off, alerting her boss to what's up. Or variations thereof, in order to have someone else come back to pick her up. But like I said, it's fun -- and that covers a multitude of sins.

Depends on the type of time travel the story uses.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ufarn posted:

Well, I'm done with Almost Human. It only took five episodes for it to lapse into an utterly pedestrian procedural that barely included any futurism meant to justify it.

And Jesus Christ is Minka Kelly at this thing they call acting.

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but wasn't this the point where they started showing the earlier produced episodes? Because that might explain a few things.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm two episodes in.

Did you try Reaper? That's probably the closest show to Chuck, closer than anything else I can think of actually. It's only 2 seasons but still worth checking out.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 15, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chuck is one of those shows I will never understand the appeal for. Just watching the pilot was an utterly painful experience.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Chuck is one of those shows I will never understand the appeal for. Just watching the pilot was an utterly painful experience.

The pilot is really rough. The show starts to hit its stride around episode three.

E: and there's a scene in season three that's as funny as anything I've ever watched, where Devin lies to Elly

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 15, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Did you try Reaper? That's probably the closest show to Chuck, closer than anything else I can think of actually. It's only 2 seasons but still worth checking out.

Will check it out, thanks!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

-Blackadder- posted:

This is a very good suggestion and one that I completely forgot about. And even though the premise is wildly different it very much is tonally in line with Chuck.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Manos del Sino posted:

I don't remember W13 improving much as it went on, so if you don't like it already, it's probably not the show for you. Personally, the selling point for me is the chemistry between Pete and Myka, not the humor or concept or whatever.

Moonlighting is wonderful. I think the only other show I've seen with such effective sexual tension between the male and female lead is New Girl. But David and Maddie are pretty much the pinnacle of the will-they-or-won't-they plot.
Also, Agnes DePesto. :3:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Deadpool posted:

This is a very good suggestion and one that I completely forgot about. And even though the premise is wildly different it very much is tonally in line with Chuck.

Everyone forgets about Reaper. That's why it only had two seasons :(

It also has Ray Wise as the Devil, which makes it better than Chuck automatically.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr. Fowl posted:

Everyone forgets about Reaper. That's why it only had two seasons :(

It also has Ray Wise as the Devil, which makes it better than Chuck automatically.

It was one of my favorite shows when it was on. I definitely miss it. And yeah, I liked it way more than Chuck. Another show that was very short and had a great comedy/action mix was The Good Guys. Now that was a show I really loved.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

There's an in show explanation as to why that wouldn't do anything.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spatula City posted:

Moonlighting is wonderful. I think the only other show I've seen with such effective sexual tension between the male and female lead is New Girl. But David and Maddie are pretty much the pinnacle of the will-they-or-won't-they plot.
Also, Agnes DePesto. :3:

Cheers motherfucker, do you speak it? (Seriously, Cheers pretty much invented the TV will-they/won't-they, and is better than everything else at it)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Yoshifan823 posted:

Cheers motherfucker, do you speak it? (Seriously, Cheers pretty much invented the TV will-they/won't-they, and is better than everything else at it)

Was it Cheers or something else that completely tanked once the two will-they/won't-they characters got together?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Epi Lepi posted:

Was it Cheers or something else that completely tanked once the two will-they/won't-they characters got together?

That would be Moonlighting. Cheers turned into a very good workplace ensemble comedy after Diane left.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Epi Lepi posted:

That was Moonlighting.

e: There were tons of other problems as well.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Epi Lepi posted:

As I understand it was Moonlighting that died horribly when the will they wont they dynamic ceased to be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nystral posted:

As I understand it was Moonlighting that died horribly when the will they wont they dynamic ceased to be.

Moonlighting is what people always use, but it was actually a pile of reasons that probably would have hurt the show regardless in that specific case.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

regulargonzalez posted:

I replied to you a while back but please don't give up on Buffy after 3 eps; the first season is really not a good metric to judge the rest of the series by :(

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Nanny had to be one, too. I still remember the quote of someone who said, "The Nanny used to be a good show until she started loving Mr. Sheffield."

I guess the Big Bang Theory (I don't watch it) must have gotten over it fairly quickly and had the lead guy and girl hook up and that show still seems popular despite it. Friends more or less survived the Will They/Won't They issue by having various characters get romantically linked at various times through the show's run and having guest-starring romantic partners being more than just single episode characters and being believable contenders as long-term partners by appearing in multiple episodes in the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like how in Newsradio they got over it really quickly. IIRC Dave and Lisa sleep together by the second episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I like how in Newsradio they got over it really quickly. IIRC Dave and Lisa sleep together by the second episode.

They also eventually broke up, then got together, then broke up again permanently.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

The Nanny had to be one, too. I still remember the quote of someone who said, "The Nanny used to be a good show until she started loving Mr. Sheffield."

I guess the Big Bang Theory (I don't watch it) must have gotten over it fairly quickly and had the lead guy and girl hook up and that show still seems popular despite it. Friends more or less survived the Will They/Won't They issue by having various characters get romantically linked at various times through the show's run and having guest-starring romantic partners being more than just single episode characters and being believable contenders as long-term partners by appearing in multiple episodes in the show.

Big Bang Theory quickly shifted into Sheldon's Autistic Adventures (but is stuck with that awful title) and Friends had 4 other characters to focus on. It really only becomes a problem when it's a major focus of the show.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Then there's stuff like anime where a series seems like they will spend the entire run trying to have the protagonist finally tell girl he loves her or decide which one of the dream girls in his life he's finally going to realize he's in love with.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I think a lot of these end up being that shows hold off putting the unresolved sexual tension couple together and then do it around the time the show is becoming bad for unrelated reasons. A good counterexample to "Moonlighting syndrome" is How I Met Your Mother, which had by far its best season when putting the key couple together, then got progressively worse after breaking them up and going back to near-constant and increasingly terrible will they/won't they stuff. And now we're in season 9 and they still tease that same unresolved tension and it's basically like a death march.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Raising Hope decided to just say gently caress it and got Jimmy together with his unrequited love interest partway through the second season. Then by the third season they were married and moved into their own home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

jeffersonlives posted:

I think a lot of these end up being that shows hold off putting the unresolved sexual tension couple together and then do it around the time the show is becoming bad for unrelated reasons. A good counterexample to "Moonlighting syndrome" is How I Met Your Mother, which had by far its best season when putting the key couple together, then got progressively worse after breaking them up and going back to near-constant and increasingly terrible will they/won't they stuff. And now we're in season 9 and they still tease that same unresolved tension and it's basically like a death march.

For anyone who doesn't watch the show, you should know that the unresolved tension is between two characters that the show blatantly said would not get together way back during the pilot episode in 2005.

• Locked thread