Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

qutius posted:

Smartwool for life. They may not be fuzzy exactly, but they are awesome in every way.

I love how comfortable my smartwool socks have been but the heals have worn out shockingly quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

eminkey2003 posted:

Would anyone recommend the Brita faucet filter? Or any of their other products? Thinking of getting one for my mom so she doesn't need to keep refilling the water cooler.

I've had several water filters through the years and I find the Britta ultramax the most convenient because you can store it in the fridge and have cold water immediately. If you get the faucet one, you have to drink the water at faucet temp or slowly fill a pitcher.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Laser Cow posted:

I love how comfortable my smartwool socks have been but the heals have worn out shockingly quickly.

Wool wears out quickly. I find it helpful to wash wool things as infrequently as possible and when you do wash, take the time to hand wash thoroughly. Side note: wool repels body odor amazingly well. You can get away with not washing wool for longer than you're used to with cotton.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Comatoast posted:

Wool wears out quickly. I find it helpful to wash wool things as infrequently as possible and when you do wash, take the time to hand wash thoroughly. Side note: wool repels body odor amazingly well. You can get away with not washing wool for longer than you're used to with cotton.

So if they were worn with a pair of cotton socks underneath they'd need washing even less? That's with no sweating I'm guessing since the feet have a light blue tint to them from the cold.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Laser Cow posted:

Darn Tough have been my go to for 3-4 years now. Not one sock has worn out.

GoodCleanFun has a new favorite as of 06:18 on Dec 15, 2013

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

eminkey2003 posted:

Would anyone recommend the Brita faucet filter? Or any of their other products? Thinking of getting one for my mom so she doesn't need to keep refilling the water cooler.

If you want a serious upgrade get an under sink RO setup for like under 200 bucks. Makes water slowly, like a Brita, but filters better and has a 3 gallon or so pressure tank so you always have a bunch ready to go. This plus some pitchers or one of those slim box-shaped dispensers from Walmart in the fridge was what we did after going through like six Brita on-faucet swivel jobs. Some broke, some leaked. Refills were expensive.

Downside of RO is for every gallon of product water you dump like 10 down the drain, and the way to increase efficiency is a somewhat noisy clicking permeate pump, and the efficiency is still bad (don't remember numbers). But this inefficiency only affects your drinking water so it's not like your water usage immediately goes up 10x.

We got ours from airwaterice.com, I can look up specific models but it should be a 75 gpd under-sink kit.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

uwaeve posted:

If you want a serious upgrade get an under sink RO setup for like under 200 bucks. Makes water slowly, like a Brita, but filters better and has a 3 gallon or so pressure tank so you always have a bunch ready to go. This plus some pitchers or one of those slim box-shaped dispensers from Walmart in the fridge was what we did after going through like six Brita on-faucet swivel jobs. Some broke, some leaked. Refills were expensive.

Downside of RO is for every gallon of product water you dump like 10 down the drain, and the way to increase efficiency is a somewhat noisy clicking permeate pump, and the efficiency is still bad (don't remember numbers). But this inefficiency only affects your drinking water so it's not like your water usage immediately goes up 10x.

We got ours from airwaterice.com, I can look up specific models but it should be a 75 gpd under-sink kit.

Alternatively, you can just do an under the sink water filter system; think of it as a giant brita filter that filters the water right before it comes out of the faucet. Go to your local hardware supply store and the whole system will cost about 50 bucks and the filters (which can be replaced for ~10 dollars) last for ~3000 gallons. Will take a little bit of plumbing skills to set up, but not more than 10 minutes of work and a wikihow guide.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Comatoast posted:

It's been my experience that Smartwool wears out faster than other types, though. It's like the thin layer of fuzz just goes on the bottom and they become threadbare. Darn Tough is great for durability but they're a little less soft.

I gave some Alpaca socks for a gift a couple years ago and the giftee still raves about their softness and extreme durability (they say they throw them in the wash). It was a fairly high percentage blend of alpaca fiber- the alpaca "survival socks" on ebay now seem similar.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
These socks (men's version here) are amazingly cozy, they're my favourite. This site is great for socks in general though, I've got some amazing angora ones on right now that I got from here, my feet are the warmest.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Can someone recommend me a good non-propane shop heater? I have a shop that is roughly the size of a 2-car garage and though it is well insulated it is still pretty cold right now.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can anyone recommend ear warmers that fit behind your head? There's a ton on Amazon but I'm not sure what I should be looking out for.

e: Looking to use them for up to subzero temperatures in the winter.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I'm looking for a new pair of gloves, mostly to be used for driving and smoking cigarettes. I'd like them to be fairly slim and tight, with good dexterity, and nice and grippy. Well constructed, warm, and relatively cheap would be cool too. The more understated the better, and I'd like to avoid bulkier knit type gloves if possible.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Can someone recommend me a good non-propane shop heater? I have a shop that is roughly the size of a 2-car garage and though it is well insulated it is still pretty cold right now.

Similarly, what's the most efficient way of warming up a barely insulated garage for a few hours at a time, maybe once a month or so during the winter?

Vegetable posted:

Can anyone recommend ear warmers that fit behind your head? There's a ton on Amazon but I'm not sure what I should be looking out for.

e: Looking to use them for up to subzero temperatures in the winter.

I'm also looking for ear warmers, for a woman, if it matters at all.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Neurophonic posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys, especially nice to hear from somebody else wrapped up in production madness. Sadly I'm in the UK which limits the options somewhat, it seems I'd have to import the Timbuk2 Aviator and if that's the case the slightly less shiny material and look of the Tom Bihn stuff may swing it, especially as the prices seem to be relatively comparable even with all the extras.

There is also the Swissgear option that literally 80-90% of production guys I work with use. I didn't get one as I can never find the exact model I wanted at a store and really like to fondle bags before I buy.

Those Tom Bihn bags look cool as gently caress though and I am going to get a few of their pouches as they are way cheaper then Maxpedition stuff. If you have money to spend look at Goruck bags. They are very low-key and people seem to love them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Do you specifically want no-propane or no-combustion?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

bunnielab posted:

There is also the Swissgear option that literally 80-90% of production guys I work with use. I didn't get one as I can never find the exact model I wanted at a store and really like to fondle bags before I buy.

Those Tom Bihn bags look cool as gently caress though and I am going to get a few of their pouches as they are way cheaper then Maxpedition stuff. If you have money to spend look at Goruck bags. They are very low-key and people seem to love them.

I love my Tom Bihn Synapse backpack. It's designed specifically to look like any average Jansport-type backpack but it's made from the same materials as the tacticool Maxpedition bags. Also really rare that they are actually made in the USA.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What are awesome teddy bears? I've considered Build-A-Bear but I wanted to seek out something a bit more unique if it's out there.

Bear related cutesy things could also work. I'm looking for a gift for the "girlfriend".

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Krakkles posted:

What are awesome teddy bears? I've considered Build-A-Bear but I wanted to seek out something a bit more unique if it's out there.

Bear related cutesy things could also work. I'm looking for a gift for the "girlfriend".

Steiff bears are the gold standard, a little pricey but they should last a lifetime.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Vermont Teddy Bears are really nice too.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Awesome - thanks, guys. There's a Vermont that looks perfect!

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Recommend me some over the ear headphones that will be used soley for training in the gym.

• comfortable but stable on the head so they don't fall off during movements like deadlifts, squats, etc.
  • long enough cord but not super long.
  • the obvious; such as good sound quality and being able to drown out other people.
  • price wise nothing insane; up to 300 we'll say.

Is there anything that fits the bill for that?

Thanks in advance, goons!

Bloodborne has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Dec 16, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the Sennheiser PX200. It does a decent job of blocking out noise and people around you shouldn't be too bothered if you crank it up. It also has phat bass if you care about that. But I really like that it can fold down to the size of a sunglass case so it's portable.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Anyone got any recommendations on a rugged, preferably waterproof, normal looking backpack? It seems to me that the choices are Target or Dick's Sporting goods, completely different terms of quality.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Hello goons! I'm in the market for furniture and happened upon http://www.lovesac.com/ at the mall. Everything felt cozy and you can apparently assemble everything together like legos. Anyone have any experience with them?

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

Chopstix posted:

Anyone got any recommendations on a rugged, preferably waterproof, normal looking backpack? It seems to me that the choices are Target or Dick's Sporting goods, completely different terms of quality.

Check out Osprey's line of backpacks. I bought the Talon 22 litre this summer for a camping trip and I love it so much that I use it every chance I get - camping or not. That particular model doesn't specifically say waterproof, but I can't imagine anything getting into any of the zippered pockets. They have a bunch of different versions though. The Talon is the lightweight, everyday/one day hike backpack.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Deckit posted:

Hello goons! I'm in the market for furniture and happened upon http://www.lovesac.com/ at the mall. Everything felt cozy and you can apparently assemble everything together like legos. Anyone have any experience with them?

Yeah, I got a big sectional ('G2 Sactional') from them about 6 years ago. They're probably more comfortable than my bed to sleep on, to be honest, and it's cool being able to arrange them into bed-shape. IIRC, there's a lifetime guarantee on the framework and springs. The couch itself has held up remarkably well, and the cheapest covers withstood an untrainable cat scratching them (:eng99:) for a year before showing any damage.

CONS:
I wouldn't recommend the wooden surface that turns a section into a coffee table, though. It gets poo poo caught in between the planks, it's not as stable, there's no storage, etc. Sometimes the cushions on the sections can be pushed out of position, especially if you lie so your rear end falls in the seam between two pillows. Also, expensive as all hell.

If you liked the feel and can stomach the price, I'd recommend it. I built a really sweet U-couch around my TV that I can rearrange however I like. Also, you can make totally unmatched pillow and sheet forts.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Chopstix posted:

Tom Bihn Synapse or Brain Bag, hope you got money

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Deckit posted:

I have one of the big SuperSacs and it is nothing short of amazing.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Chopstix posted:

I don't know if this fits your bill, but check out these packs.

http://www.roguefitness.com/gear-accessories/packs-bags/rucks.php

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

http://loveislame.com/products/15-inch-poo poo-bitch-bear

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Chopstix posted:

Hyperlite Mountain Gear makes some cuben fiber packs. Very simple, but totally waterproof and super lightweight. Not the cheapest though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just saw that these headphones are on sale for $97 today. Personally, I think they're the best sounding headphones I've ever owned, and absolutely on par with Sennheisers and other brands costing hundreds of dollars. My only complaint is that the cord is really long, which could be a good thing depending on usage, but for me means I have way too much cord when I'm just plugged into my phone in my pocket.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Hyperlite Mountain Gear makes some cuben fiber packs. Very simple, but totally waterproof and super lightweight. Not the cheapest though.

Yeah but the smell of roast pork really increases the chance of bear attack.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Mu Zeta posted:

I like the Sennheiser PX200. It does a decent job of blocking out noise and people around you shouldn't be too bothered if you crank it up. It also has phat bass if you care about that. But I really like that it can fold down to the size of a sunglass case so it's portable.

I think this could be what I'm looking for. I travel a ton for work. Three different pairs of ear buds have either fallen apart or stopped working for me in the past three months. I probably wear headphones four hours a day on average due to having (too many) conference calls, listening to music while flying or sitting around the airport, and listening to music while running/lifting. So it would be nice to have something that's comfortable, able to take some abuse from living in my travel bag or pants pocket, and won't fall out of my ears or off my head every few steps while running.

Does anyone know how well the noise cancelling works? I don't like running without being able to hear if there's a car coming up behind me. And I don't know if it's just me, but when I wear noise cancelling headphones around people, I always end up self-conscious of breathing or chewing too loudly.

If anyone has any other suggestions for ear buds or headphones, I'm all ears.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't get the PX200 for running because it will fall off. Just go to thewirecutter site and check on their recommendations for headsets. They have a section for excercise.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just saw that these headphones are on sale for $97 today. Personally, I think they're the best sounding headphones I've ever owned, and absolutely on par with Sennheisers and other brands costing hundreds of dollars. My only complaint is that the cord is really long, which could be a good thing depending on usage, but for me means I have way too much cord when I'm just plugged into my phone in my pocket.

You can get a version of them with a coiled cord, which helps with that problem :).

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Rivensteel posted:

Yeah, I got a big sectional ('G2 Sactional') from them about 6 years ago. They're probably more comfortable than my bed to sleep on, to be honest, and it's cool being able to arrange them into bed-shape. IIRC, there's a lifetime guarantee on the framework and springs. The couch itself has held up remarkably well, and the cheapest covers withstood an untrainable cat scratching them (:eng99:) for a year before showing any damage.

CONS:
I wouldn't recommend the wooden surface that turns a section into a coffee table, though. It gets poo poo caught in between the planks, it's not as stable, there's no storage, etc. Sometimes the cushions on the sections can be pushed out of position, especially if you lie so your rear end falls in the seam between two pillows. Also, expensive as all hell.

If you liked the feel and can stomach the price, I'd recommend it. I built a really sweet U-couch around my TV that I can rearrange however I like. Also, you can make totally unmatched pillow and sheet forts.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll probably swallow the cost and get one. We have frequent nerd gathers and comfy seating has gotten to be a problem. Additionally rearranging it every week to keep people off guard sounds fun. :science:

Sportman posted:

I have one of the big SuperSacs and it is nothing short of amazing.

The huge, huge ones? They have a deal going on where if you get a basic set you get a 'citysac' free. Or 10% off the purchase if you don't want the sac.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
I'm looking to get a new beard trimmer some time soon and I was wondering if someone here had any recommendations. I have a full beard that I keep relatively short but I use a set of electric clippers that are really meant more for cutting head hair and not face hair, so I'm looking for something a bit less unwieldy that would be better for daily maintenance and possibly give me some better trimming options.
Thank you!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The Wahl Peanut is the best beard trimmer I've ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use this one and it's fantastic. Has different heads for different uses and all the guards you will ever need.

• Locked thread