Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Senso posted:

Slightly more technical question, anybody knows if they allow SSH connections going outside the country? That's basically all I need personally.

Yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Yep they do and I used to use an ssh proxy through my crappy shared hosting plan until the great firewall blocked my website randomly.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.
Anyone got any tips on finding non-ESL work in China (or just not worth the bother)? My background is law/public policy (Australia).

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

You absolutely don't need a VPN for PSN. Maybe to buy things, but not to download or play online. I just downloaded Dragons Crown on my vita at about 1.2mbps without a vpn. I used to have a PS3 and it was the same deal with that. Playing online will probably suck for latency issues, but as far as downloading stuff there's no issue.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Readman posted:

Anyone got any tips on finding non-ESL work in China (or just not worth the bother)? My background is law/public policy (Australia).

Linkedin/51jobs I guess? Plenty of multinationals, consulting firms and other such companies would probably love to have you. Why do you want to come here anyway? Most people is trying to get out of toxic pollutionland.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Magna Kaser posted:

Linkedin/51jobs I guess? Plenty of multinationals, consulting firms and other such companies would probably love to have you. Why do you want to come here anyway? Most people is trying to get out of toxic pollutionland.

How is chengdu's pollution level at the mo? I've not heard anything bad...or good.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

How is chengdu's pollution level at the mo? I've not heard anything bad...or good.

You can keep an instantaneous eye on it right here

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

SB35 posted:

You can keep an instantaneous eye on it right here

Jesus...will...will this pass?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Umm it's only at 144. You are in for a rude awakening!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Haha, for winter that's probably pretty good. Hell, for most days that's probably not too bad.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
It's been about that on average, though it looks and feels a little lighter outside. Anything below 150 is more or less a nice day.

That isn't bad, though. Next month it should be higher. And around Spring Festival, with all the fireworks, it will be terrible.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Facepalm Ranger posted:

You may want to re-think your plan.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Last winter I'm not sure it got below 300AQI. Anywhere below 200 is a good day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

17 here right now in lovely South Korea. :smug:

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

Magna Kaser posted:

Don't want to keep working in public policy with our new conservative government, and don't want to go back to being a lawyer (for obvious reasons).

I used to live in China, so thought I'd have another go.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Readman posted:

Don't want to keep working in public policy with our new conservative government, and don't want to go back to being a lawyer (for obvious reasons).

I used to live in China, so thought I'd have another go.

51jobs is probably your best bet then. You can just look around at job openings there and see if anything tickles your fancy. If you have a lot of experience and qualifications (sounds like you do) it won't be hard to find a job since a lot of bigger companies/multinationals are really hurting for getting qualified people in to their Chinese offices lately.

You will be pretty relegated to Shanghai, Beijing and possibly Shenzhen though. That's not to say there aren't jobs elsewhere (there are), they're just harder to find and might not give you the same level of compensation. Chengdu and Xiamen are both starting to have a lot of opportunities, but they're both more IT focused right now.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Got dragged to Jellyfish last night, ended up being tear gassed :toot:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Facepalm Ranger posted:

150 is average. I tend to put on the mask around 160. In winter it typically varies from a few 300s days to a few 100s days each week.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Got dragged to Jellyfish last night, ended up being tear gassed :toot:

Deets bro

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

17 here right now in lovely South Korea. :smug:

I don't think they measure soot, that's why.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VideoTapir posted:

I don't think they measure soot, that's why.

No, it's usually quite clear where I live. Maybe once every month or two it gets hazy, it's not gross regularly like up in Seoul. When the Chinese soot and arsenic cloud rolled in last week it was on the AQI thing.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

No, it's usually quite clear where I live. Maybe once every month or two it gets hazy, it's not gross regularly like up in Seoul. When the Chinese soot and arsenic cloud rolled in last week it was on the AQI thing.

The soot isn't Chinese, it's from Korean diesel trucks and tractors and everything. Touch anything outside in Seoul or half of Gyeonggi-do and your hand comes away black. That doesn't happen in China. edit: It doesn't happen in Beijing, at least, which has some of the worst air in China. I haven't been to anywhere worse recently.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 15, 2013

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I know a guy who was in a club that got tear gassed in Shenzhen. Sounds like a good time.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
For comparison an airport smoking lounge is about 165.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

Magna Kaser posted:

51jobs is probably your best bet then. You can just look around at job openings there and see if anything tickles your fancy. If you have a lot of experience and qualifications (sounds like you do) it won't be hard to find a job since a lot of bigger companies/multinationals are really hurting for getting qualified people in to their Chinese offices lately.

You will be pretty relegated to Shanghai, Beijing and possibly Shenzhen though. That's not to say there aren't jobs elsewhere (there are), they're just harder to find and might not give you the same level of compensation. Chengdu and Xiamen are both starting to have a lot of opportunities, but they're both more IT focused right now.

Thanks for this! Will check out 51jobs. :)

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Trying to add the group with the QR code, that's bringing me to the QQ site or whatever, asking me to download an APK. Someone just invite me in, all right? Wechat id: manu-manu

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Readman posted:

Also, LinkedIn and the other usual subjects are used by most multinationals to post job listings. There's plenty of work here for qualified people.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

peanut posted:

Deets bro

Two groups of Chinese guys started fighting and one of them had tear gas with him. Do Chinese people normally take tear gas with them on a night out?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

The soot isn't Chinese, it's from Korean diesel trucks and tractors and everything. Touch anything outside in Seoul or half of Gyeonggi-do and your hand comes away black. That doesn't happen in China. edit: It doesn't happen in Beijing, at least, which has some of the worst air in China. I haven't been to anywhere worse recently.

Huh. I've never seen that anywhere here. Seoul is noticeably hazy whenever I go up to visit, the air where I live is about the same as back in the US. Most of the time.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Oh, this is going to be fun.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Readman posted:

FYI

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

My girlfriend keeps going on about weibo, do you guys use it? Is it worthless until I start learning moon runes?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I'm sure there's some English content on there somewhere, but it's like 99% Chinese. It's the most popular form of social media over here, and also the least regulated, so it's interesting to read.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm sure there's some English content on there somewhere, but it's like 99% Chinese. It's the most popular form of social media over here, and also the least regulated, so it's interesting to read.

Guess I'll have to get it. Anyone had experience of going to uni in Chengdu?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Updated the OP with the 2014 official holiday calendar.

Enjoy working on the weekends goons!

Chinese citizens are really angry about having to work Spring Festival eve.

quote:

Dammit~! Has poo poo entered the brains of this bunch of cunts? You loving provided 3 proposals for everyone to see and after the votes are in, you loving come out with a 4th plan of your own! You motherfuckers! gently caress! Everyone having to loving work on Chinese New Year’s Eve, what the gently caress is wrong with you!

quote:

Chinese New Year’s Eve, 6pm, got off work. I drove my car trying to get home. My car was stuck in the parking lot for half an hour, stuck in traffic on the streets for two hours, stuck in traffic on the ring road for 3 hours… Upon opening the door [at home], my daughter lay alone on the sofa hungry and asleep, and from the television I heard “We’ll see you next year! Unforgettable~ Tonight~ Unforgettable! Tonight~~~~” Watching the harmonious and jubilant singing and dancing on TV, I shed a tear of happiness and joy -0

quote:

On the last day of the lunar year [Chinese New Year's Eve], I’m going to the Electricity Bureau, Finance Bureau, Health Bureau, Inspection Bureau, Culture Bureau, Civil Affairs Bureau, Public Security Bureau, Transportation Bureau… for business!! Let’s loving see which one of them dares to close its doors to go on holiday!!!

SB35 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 18, 2013

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

To be fair here in the uk, any 'eve' is a working day. Sucks though.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 19, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

To be fair here in the uk, any 'eve' is a working day. Suck though.

In the past it wasn't a working day, and in all reality, the eve is just as big of a holiday as the actual day. Traditionally, Lunar New Year's eve is when you'd have a big meal with your family, eat dumplings, and eventually watch the New Year's gala and light off fireworks.

Now you've gotta do all that AFTER you get off work at 5:00pm and commute an hour home in Spring Festival traffic.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SB35 posted:

In the past it wasn't a working day, and in all reality, the eve is just as big of a holiday as the actual day. Traditionally, Lunar New Year's eve is when you'd have a big meal with your family, eat dumplings, and eventually watch the New Year's gala and light off fireworks.

Now you've gotta do all that AFTER you get off work at 5:00pm and commute an hour home in Spring Festival traffic.

Ahh that does suck. Welp at least I know what I'll be getting up to when I'm there.

Fake edit: my gf says we'll be eating out for a week! Oh boy!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Theoretically, private companies can still give their employees the day off. These are only the holidays they are required by law to give.

When I worked for a local company, they let employees go home an hour and fifteen minutes early on holiday eves.

So generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

I'm kinda looking forward to my Chengdu life. It's a fresh start and I feel like I can live the uni life I didn't get to have first time round, do what I want learn my trade and generally be happier than ever! Gosh I can't wait!