Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've noticed that when using immersive mode, tapping on an image or link temporarily stops immersive mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

hooah posted:

I've noticed that when using immersive mode, tapping on an image or link temporarily stops immersive mode.

As far as I can tell there isn't a way to prevent this from happening. I could be missing something obvious though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the jarring part is the way it shifts the whole page down slightly. Obviously the Action Bar has to move down but maybe the page could stay where it was.

Actually that might be pretty difficult to do.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Immersive mode is pretty sweet except it seems to exacerbate my problem where I hit the next page arrow with the base of my thumb when attempting to scroll. I think I'm the only one having this issue though. :(

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
One issue I've found with immersive mode is that I don't get my bar back if I hit the home screen button while in immersive mode. It goes back to the home screen but no notification bar.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Immersive mode is pretty sweet except it seems to exacerbate my problem where I hit the next page arrow with the base of my thumb when attempting to scroll. I think I'm the only one having this issue though. :(

This didn't happen to me, but I did think about hiding that bar while in immersive mode. I could play with that to see if that works well.

Chin Strap posted:

One issue I've found with immersive mode is that I don't get my bar back if I hit the home screen button while in immersive mode. It goes back to the home screen but no notification bar.

Oh dear, that's not very desirable. I don't have a device with a hardware button to test this on though :(

I thought I added a bit where if the app loses focus it shows the status bar, but maybe not.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Glimm posted:

This didn't happen to me, but I did think about hiding that bar while in immersive mode. I could play with that to see if that works well.

Oh dear, that's not very desirable. I don't have a device with a hardware button to test this on though :(

I thought I added a bit where if the app loses focus it shows the status bar, but maybe not.

Theoretically, the app shouldn't be able to hide the notification bar outside itself so that feels like a Google (or rom) bug to me honestly.

What device is that on anyway, GPE S4 / One?

LastInLine posted:

I don't even get how this works, the buttons should not trigger during a swipe.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Sereri posted:

Theoretically, the app shouldn't be able to hide the notification bar outside itself so that feels like a Google (or rom) bug to me honestly.

Yeah I tend to agree. Super curious about this.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Sereri posted:

GPE S4.

Well now I can't get it to reproduce. I turned off immersive mode yesterday because of it, but now when trying again it works fine. I'll update if I can reproduce again.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Is this

a thing that has been fixed already?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Is this

Not even diagnosed really. I have no idea what this is, what's causing this, how to reproduce it or even since when this is happening.

To be bluntly honest, bugs that don't happen to me personally are the ones that last the longest. Part of this is that it's harder for me to track them down, part is that I'm not daily reminded that the bug still exists.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 12, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Basically, any time you have a bug you should send Sereri your device or an identical one.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Thermopyle posted:

Basically, any time you have a bug you should send Sereri your device or an identical one.

Isn't Android development great?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

GPE S4.

Well now I can't get it to reproduce. I turned off immersive mode yesterday because of it, but now when trying again it works fine. I'll update if I can reproduce again.

Okay, well now it is happening for me again, but I can't figure out the right combination of things to make it do it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

I don't even get how this works, the buttons should not trigger during a swipe.
If I could figure out how I'm doing it I'd try to stop it. As it is now I'll be reading something then suddenly the page is reloading or I'm on to the next page. I'm pretty sure I'm just holding it wrong.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Is this

I swear after the latest update this is worse for me. At home on WPA2 or at work on their open attwifi network. Initial launch of Awful after a reboot causes no issues, but if I go back to the home screen then re-open Awful I get this just about every time in any thread (and sometimes at the same time the back/reload buttons are replaced with tiny screencaps of posts). It only happens upon re-opening, and the only way to make it go away is to force close the app and/or reboot. Epic 4G [Cyanogenmod] 4.3, AND Note 10.1 4.3.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CrashCat posted:

Confirming that I have this problem on my (Sprint) Nexus 5 and that swiping out to the left and back fixes it once. Then when the new page loads it is broken at the bottom of that one again.

Still having this issues on my Nexus 5 with 4.4.2

Seems to be if I visit the last page of a thread, hit the power screen off button, power screen back on, home, do some stuff, then choose the awful app from the home screen, the pull up to refresh/reload does not work. White "pull to reload" glow appears but does nothing until you swipe left and back, at which point it works.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Still having this issues on my Nexus 5 with 4.4.2

Seems to be if I visit the last page of a thread, hit the power screen off button, power screen back on, home, do some stuff, then choose the awful app from the home screen, the pull up to refresh/reload does not work. White "pull to reload" glow appears but does nothing until you swipe left and back, at which point it works.

I'm on a Nexus 5 with 4.4.2 and Awful 3.05. I can't get anything to make pull to reload or pull for next page work. I've tried disabling and reenabling the setting, closing the app out and loading it up again, nothing works.

By "swiping left" you actually mean "swipe right to get back to the forum list" right? That doesn't make it work for me.

Any other thoughts for debugging?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

I'm on a Nexus 5 with 4.4.2 and Awful 3.05. I can't get anything to make pull to reload or pull for next page work. I've tried disabling and reenabling the setting, closing the app out and loading it up again, nothing works.

By "swiping left" you actually mean "swipe right to get back to the forum list" right? That doesn't make it work for me.

Any other thoughts for debugging?

Just to append, the pull at top to refresh the thread list seems to work fine, it is the in thread pull at bottom to refresh/next page that is isn't working.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I fixed it in a different, cleaner way and it's going out.

As for P2N, as far as I can tell it works most of the time, unless you go directly back into the threadview from outside the app, correct?

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this app. I've been using it for quite a while and it's a really slick, pleasant experience. Keep up the good work!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
How do I make a thread?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I'm pretty sure you can't make a new thread from the app

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sereri posted:

Things the app does not (yet):
- Allow you to create threads

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
that is bad

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Much like your posting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There was a justification in the last thread about "you can't make well-written posts on the phone" after a bunch of bitching about it. You'll be forced to use the browser for your GBS 2.1 shitposting OPs for a while.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

Isn't Android development great?

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, isn't that based on the compatibility test that Google uses? (I was under the impression that this was so device manufacturers could create hardware-specific apps)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spincube posted:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, isn't that based on the compatibility test that Google uses? (I was under the impression that this was so device manufacturers could create hardware-specific apps)

Those are all the devices that (theoretically) support Awful. And even that basically just means "something happens when the user clicks on the app icon". Afaik there are no tests, just devices not supported because we have the Froyo+ requirement and they never got that.

I've pushed out another beta that should fix P2N being on the wrong end when resuming the thread view from outside.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Midjack posted:

There was a justification in the last thread about "you can't make well-written posts on the phone" after a bunch of bitching about it.

And every time this is mentioned, somebody points out that the iOS app lets you post threads and nobody is making lovely threads with it. The Awful Android app doesn't have thread posting because nobody has had time or desire to code it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

And every time this is mentioned, somebody points out that the iOS app lets you post threads and nobody is making lovely threads with it. The Awful Android app doesn't have thread posting because nobody has had time or desire to code it.

Excellent, we have fulfilled the ritual for this week.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

And every time this is mentioned, somebody points out that the iOS app lets you post threads and nobody is making lovely threads with it.

How sure are you that none of the many lovely threads posted every day came from the iOS app?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

pokeyman posted:

How sure are you that none of the many lovely threads posted every day came from the iOS app?

Very sure.

:wink:

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Implement a signature button. Thanks.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Smarmy Coworker posted:

Implement a signature button. Thanks.

One of the dropdown menus in the top right lets you add your signature when you're making a post.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Vykk.Draygo posted:

One of the dropdown menus in the top right lets you add your signature when you're making a post.

This is all I got

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Smarmy Coworker posted:

This is all I got

That's because you're on an inferior device with a hardware menu button. Try pressing it.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Dang that's neat.

Sig test

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Smarmy Coworker posted:

Dang that's neat.

Sig test

Yeah that works. Further testing not required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
In relation to signatures, would it be possible to add in a horizontal spacer separating the signature from the post? When you have .gifs turned off, it gets really annoying in image heavy threads trying to figure out where the signature starts.