Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jackard posted:

It does sound like an American version of that game where you date disabled girls, except it's their mental health instead of their being deaf or whatever. Not everyone needs to have capital-p Problems to be interesting characters and even reading those descriptions feels a little predatory.

Harvest Moon was the same way, like most Japanese games

Having a varied cast would actually make it more American...

Not if you lived in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 14, 2017

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
I was hoping this release was small enough to avoid the wrath of the SJW goonsquad, but alas. I look forward to pages of discussion on the deeply problematic meaning of the RGB values on some moving pixels being a bit too GB and not enough R.

I too think the character sprites need a good polish pass but I'm happy with the way everything else has turned out. A lot of it captures the SNES HM feeling pretty well.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Why is it so offensive to you that anyone would wish the cast would be something besides pretty much entirely white? Why does that get on your nerves so much?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Met posted:

Not if you lived in the country.
Depends on the region.

ps. youre wrong :smugbert:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 15, 2013

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

bomblol posted:

Why is it so offensive to you that anyone would wish the cast would be something besides pretty much entirely white? Why does that get on your nerves so much?

It doesn't get on my nerves, but there are certainly more appropriate locations for that kind of masturbatory handwringing. Goons have a well-established habit of making GBS threads decent threads up at any perceived slight against the social justice movement. I was just expressing my concern that this thread for this Game Made by a Single Person would turn into a big non-fruitful screed against the dev because he (or she) isn't incorporating the precise amount of diversity that would give this game the non-problematic stamp of approval. An amount that even the complainers in this thread won't produce an acceptable number for.

And now I am the threadshitter.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Catts posted:

It doesn't get on my nerves, but there are certainly more appropriate locations for that kind of masturbatory handwringing. Goons have a well-established habit of making GBS threads decent threads up at any perceived slight against the social justice movement. I was just expressing my concern that this thread for this Game Made by a Single Person would turn into a big non-fruitful screed against the dev because he (or she) isn't incorporating the precise amount of diversity that would give this game the non-problematic stamp of approval. An amount that even the complainers in this thread won't produce an acceptable number for.

And now I am the threadshitter.

The fact that you think an unrealistic portrayal of America that conveniently erases and replaces poc with whites is normal says a lot about you ahead of time, but belittling criticism of that by a person of color and accusing it of being "masturbatory" is straight up embarrassing. This has nothing to do with a strawman "social justice movement" or politically correct diversity quotas you dinosaur. Seriously how loving old are you, you sound like every racist old white man.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Catts posted:

I was hoping this release was small enough to avoid the wrath of the SJW goonsquad, but alas. I look forward to pages of discussion on the deeply problematic meaning of the RGB values on some moving pixels being a bit too GB and not enough R.

I too think the character sprites need a good polish pass but I'm happy with the way everything else has turned out. A lot of it captures the SNES HM feeling pretty well.

You fucker.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I can both live with or without people of color in my farming sim / dating sim / combat sim game. If people of color are going to be in the game other than just being slightly more of one color than another, I would like them to be written in a genuine way from that race's point of view. Otherwise I don't particularly care.

Stop making GBS threads up the thread with SJW bullshit. If you want your rainbow paradise then you should mod it.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

I can both live with or without people of color in my farming sim / dating sim / combat sim game. If people of color are going to be in the game other than just being slightly more of one color than another, I would like them to be written in a genuine way from that race's point of view. Otherwise I don't particularly care.

Stop making GBS threads up the thread with SJW bullshit. If you want your rainbow paradise then you should mod it.

Uh yeah, "white guy doesn't care" is literally the most common attitude so you're not impressing a point on anyone here. As far as writing them in a "genuine way" what does that even mean? Do they need to say certain things or act a certain way? What point of view are you talking about? This is white bullshit.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Trainmonk posted:

Uh yeah, "white guy doesn't care" is literally the most common attitude so you're not impressing a point on anyone here. As far as writing them in a "genuine way" what does that even mean? Do they need to say certain things or act a certain way? What point of view are you talking about? This is white bullshit.

Wow, this is a stupid argument, I'm not white, I don't care that my games don't have people that are the same color skin as me. If you do go gently caress yourself? Its a video game. I'm really looking forward to this one, can't wait to fish all day.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Trainmonk posted:

As far as writing them in a "genuine way" what does that even mean? Do they need to say certain things or act a certain way? What point of view are you talking about?

Look if there are black people in my game I want them to add some Urban Gangsta Flava (TM) is that too much to ask?

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 15, 2013

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Reason posted:

Wow, this is a stupid argument, I'm not white, I don't care that my games don't have people that are the same color skin as me. If you do go gently caress yourself? Its a video game. I'm really looking forward to this one, can't wait to fish all day.

All sorts of fish, lures and bait.

Dungeon delving is for suckers. Fishing is where its at.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Reason posted:

I'm not white and I do care because we live in a society that tries to erase us from the public eye at every opportunity, consciously or unconsciously.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Welp, here we go again.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Have they said much else about combat? I really dont care about it one way or the other. I've enjoyed plenty of similar games that featured no combat, but all I've seen so far are swords and slimes.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
If you guys hate big "social justice" derails you could just stop derailing it with posts about how its being derailed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Jesto posted:

Because you can't please people no matter what you do and no matter what your intentions are.

You put no minorities in your game, people will call you racist.

You put one, you've got the token minority.

You put 3-4~ (10-15% of the town population) and make one of them a prominent dateable character, it's still not enough for some people.

You make your game 25% white, 25% black, 25% hispanic and 25% asian, you're going to unintentionally assign the wrong races to the wrong characters. Hey, this white videogame developer made the homeless guy or the potential alcoholic a black guy and the doctor an overworked asian dude, how racist / stereotypical is that? And by the way, I know you can gay marry any character, but why doesn't your town have any transgendered people in it or as ? Are you transphobic or something? :geno:

If you're a white dude on your first indie project writing anything for minorities you risk pissing someone, somewhere off to the point where it's most likely not worth the headache to write a few minority characters who are absolutely without flaw and won't step on anyone's toes.

But mostly because it derails the thread into pointless social issues bullshit that's a lot less interesting to read about than the game. And I'm sure there's a few threads on the forums devoted entirely to gender / race issues in media in general.

Lord spare the poor white game developer the illogical demands of the ridiculous people of color.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I'm gonna plant so much corn.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

mcvey posted:

I'm gonna plant so much corn.

Please, beekeeping's where it's at.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Both terrible ideas. Fishing tends to be the coolest.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I want to have a real dairy setup but I don't know how deeply things are going to go, like making cheese and butter from the milk your cows/goats produce.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
I don't know what things I can grow, but I'm going to made a fortune in the cooking industry.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Avocados posted:

Have they said much else about combat? I really dont care about it one way or the other. I've enjoyed plenty of similar games that featured no combat, but all I've seen so far are swords and slimes.

I think that's all that's been shown so far but I haven't been following super closely. I saw a stream and combat pretty much looked like stabbing the square in front of you with a knife, nothing exciting at the time.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jesto posted:

Because you can't please people no matter what you do and no matter what your intentions are.

You put 3-4~ (10-15% of the town population) and make one of them a prominent dateable character, it's still not enough for some people.

You make your game 25% white, 25% black, 25% hispanic and 25% asian, you're going to unintentionally assign the wrong races to the wrong characters. Hey, this white videogame developer made the homeless guy or the potential alcoholic a black guy and the doctor an overworked asian dude, how racist / stereotypical is that? And by the way, I know you can gay marry any character, but why doesn't your town have any transgendered people in it or as ? Are you transphobic or something? :geno:

If you're a white dude on your first indie project writing anything for minorities you risk pissing someone, somewhere off to the point where it's most likely not worth the headache to write a few minority characters who are absolutely without flaw and won't step on anyone's toes.

But mostly because it derails the thread into pointless social issues bullshit that's a lot less interesting to read about than the game. And I'm sure there's a few threads on the forums devoted entirely to gender / race issues in media in general.

I really want to emptyquote this while I play a fun game about farming.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm going to kill every cow I see. I can't make delicious meat products out of arm animals in Harvest Moon, so I need to do it here.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The fact there's other ways to make money/food off of animals despite killing them is going to make me feel awful when I want to make a cowburger. I could make the town happy with my killer burgers and ribs, but then that means killing cows which, if the art is anything to go by, are going to be cute.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Jesto posted:

You make your game 25% white, 25% black, 25% hispanic and 25% asian, you're going to unintentionally assign the wrong races to the wrong characters. Hey, this white videogame developer made the homeless guy or the potential alcoholic a black guy and the doctor an overworked asian dude, how racist / stereotypical is that? And by the way, I know you can gay marry any character, but why doesn't your town have any transgendered people in it? Are you transphobic or something? :geno:

Now, you have just convince me to buy your game. :)

I am afraid this going to a game with half-hearted plots and features all over the gazoo pandering to every people (fetishs) on earth, ensuring failure, like a lot of indies game recently .
Your statement convince me this will be a focused production, therefore good.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Do we know if there's going to be some way to automate some of the farming with farmhands or something? I don't want the game to play itself but at the same time there was a genuine problem with the N64 Harvest Moon where you could hit a critical mass where there wasn't enough time in the day to harvest all of your beautiful plants and then future expansion of your croplands would be pointless. I know at that point the farm was a success by any reasonable metric but drat it I want to have fields of wheat stretching out to meet the horizon in every direction.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Jesto posted:

I honestly wonder how the Harvest Moon threads don't have to put up with that given the sea of white faces and 100% heterosexual marriage and pregnancy between what look like 8 year olds in every game.

That's a Japanese game and criticizing them on social issues is fishing from a dry lake.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jesto posted:

People wanted an answer and I gave it in detail. There will be social issues drama literally no matter what the dev does. Something will be either not represented to a degree that some people would like, or unintentionally misrepresented.

I honestly wonder how the Harvest Moon threads don't have to put up with that given the sea of white faces and 100% heterosexual marriage and pregnancy between what look like 8 year olds in every game.

In fact, feel free to spread the love: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336559

Oh no, I was agreeing with you. I'm happy with how the game looks, but I'm not involved with the social justice movement at all.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm hoping the NPC plots aren't half done. Every characters back-story comes some issue or flaw which is most likely going to result in the player resolving them. (And I absolutely love doing all that social hero crap despite how cheesy it can be). But I hope those "loyalty quests" aren't fetching a certain amount of rare materials and then passing a few charisma checks or something. I'm not looking for something epic since this is being done by just one dude, but something a bit unique.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tehan posted:

Do we know if there's going to be some way to automate some of the farming with farmhands or something? I don't want the game to play itself but at the same time there was a genuine problem with the N64 Harvest Moon where you could hit a critical mass where there wasn't enough time in the day to harvest all of your beautiful plants and then future expansion of your croplands would be pointless. I know at that point the farm was a success by any reasonable metric but drat it I want to have fields of wheat stretching out to meet the horizon in every direction.

I believe I've read that there'll be some automation/help of that kind.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Avocados posted:

Both terrible ideas. Fishing tends to be the coolest.

Start a vineyard, fish during downtime. If you aren't sampling your stock while fishing, you're doing it wrong.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Someone needs to mod in moonshine and meth labs. If this is rural America let's do it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

Someone needs to mod in moonshine and meth labs. If this is rural America let's do it right.

Breaking Valley sounds kind of awesome. Can you be the meth kingpin and save the trailer park?