Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Is making bbq beans using the drippings from a pork butt a good idea or a greasy terrible idea? I was just thinking about cooking the beans directly under the meat in my smoker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
It is the greatest

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I don't know how someone could ask that question.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Faithless posted:

Is making bbq beans using the drippings from a pork butt a good idea or a greasy terrible idea? I was just thinking about cooking the beans directly under the meat in my smoker.

Just catch an edge, a shoulder drops a lot of grease.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Stringent posted:

Just catch an edge, a shoulder drops a lot of grease.

and the problem is......... what exactly?

More grease more beans more food. :colbert:

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
On a similar note... What if I cooked the beans IN the water pan?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Faithless posted:

On a similar note... What if I cooked the beans IN the water pan?

You'd probably wind up with a shitload of burnt bean crust on the bottom of the pan from the coals pouring heat directly into the beans?

Sounds like a bad idea imo.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Yeah that seems pretty obvious now. Thanks for the help guys.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
So I'm going to do my first smoke tomorrow, but since England is apparently full of big girls blouses, the biggest pork shoulders I could find were 5.5lbs each. So not like the 12lb monsters you guys seem to have in the states.
I've got two 5.5lbs shoulders, can anyone give me a rough idea of how long they *should* take, just so I can gauge roughly when to start cooking? I can foil wrap them to speed it up

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 14, 2013

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Ahdinko posted:

So I'm going to do my first smoke tomorrow, but since England is apparently full of big girls blouses, the biggest pork shoulders I could find were 5.5lbs each. So not like the 12lb monsters you guys seem to have in the states.
I've got two 5.5lbs shoulders, can anyone give me a rough idea of how long they *should* take, just so I can gauge roughly when to start cooking? I can foil wrap them to speed it up

You're still looking at a 6+ hour smoke depending on the temperature (225-250F) and whether or not you foil. You can foil, but I would wait until you hit 160F (plenty of smoke flavor at this point, and this is where the meat sweats stall things out), and make sure you're prepared for the foil to retain scalding hot pork water/fat, so use caution when removing the foiled shoulders from the smoker.

Best of luck!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Faithless posted:

The last two times I did this my beans dried out. There wasn't a terribly large amount of grease. I wonder if I got really skimpy butts.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a 19 lbs brisket I'm about to smoke. I am figuring a good 15 hours for this thing, right? Going to have to shoehorn it into my WSM.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rand alPaul posted:

I have a 19 lbs brisket I'm about to smoke. I am figuring a good 15 hours for this thing, right? Going to have to shoehorn it into my WSM.

How long does your WSM burn? For long things like pork butt or brisket, I usually fill the ring with unlit coals then dump a hot chimney lighter full of coals on top of that, then soaked wood chunks. Doesn't seem quite enough and I usually end up adding more toward the end and it feels wasteful.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ron Jeremy posted:

How long does your WSM burn? For long things like pork butt or brisket, I usually fill the ring with unlit coals then dump a hot chimney lighter full of coals on top of that, then soaked wood chunks. Doesn't seem quite enough and I usually end up adding more toward the end and it feels wasteful.

It has gone about ~14 hours for me. My brisket has been on for 7 hours so far and it's still burning at a nice even 250. And yeah I feel like I waste a lot of charcoal just to make sure I have the proper heat. I went through a small bag doing my Thanksgiving turkey because I wanted crisp skin.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm going to smoke some bacon in a bit and I was wondering whether to smoke the beef I'm going to use for beef and guinness stew would be a good idea? The only problem would be that I'd be smoking it long before I'd be making the stew

Edit: I decided to just use the space to smoke some tomatos and onions instead to see what they're like

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 15, 2013

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
My fire went out while I was asleep and the internal temp of my brisket dropped to 140 on the point, I hope it's still okay! It's sitting in the oven now getting toasty.

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 15, 2013

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Scott Bakula posted:

Edit: I decided to just use the space to smoke some tomatos and onions instead to see what they're like

So, what were they like?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

If you have a WSM and you aren't able to get 12-14 hours out of your coals my immediate though is that you're still using the shittastic stamped aluminum door that it ships with. Get thee over to cajunbandit and buy the replacement steel door and your life will change instantly.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Digital_Jesus posted:

If you have a WSM and you aren't able to get 12-14 hours out of your coals my immediate though is that you're still using the shittastic stamped aluminum door that it ships with. Get thee over to cajunbandit and buy the replacement steel door and your life will change instantly.

Yeah I'm shocked it ran out. I also realize the thermometer that the WSM comes with is pure horseshit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

So, what were they like?

I had trouble getting the smoker over 150 due to the cold weather and lack of me trying very hard. The tomatos were alright but not particularly noticeable over general cooked tomatoes. The 2 onions weren't cooked in the slightest but were very nice in the stew I ended up making. An extremely subtle smoke flavour

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Digital_Jesus posted:

Yep. I have the original door. I'll check out that replacement.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Rand alPaul posted:

Yeah I'm shocked it ran out. I also realize the thermometer that the WSM comes with is pure horseshit.

Every bi-metal dial thermometer is bullshit, no matter what anybody says. Get a Thermapen or some other reputable digital temperature device, never ever rely on the junk dials that manufacturers ship with their smokers, even the high end stuff is poo poo.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

VERTiG0 posted:

Every bi-metal dial thermometer is bullshit, no matter what anybody says. Get a Thermapen or some other reputable digital temperature device, never ever rely on the junk dials that manufacturers ship with their smokers, even the high end stuff is poo poo.

Yeah I just found this out the hard way. I had suspicions already but this sealed the deal. I'm getting a digital thermometer for my grill temp and then an instant-read (or near that) thermometer for my meat.

Also the steel door is a great idea, the sheet metal door that ships with the Weber seems really flimsy.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Yep. I have the original door. I'll check out that replacement.

It's like I'm psychic.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I didn't even know there was a better door.

my WSM can go 18 hours no sweat.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Ahdinko posted:

Trip report:

My first smoke went well! If anything the meat wasnt smokey enough. I only had cherry wood chips instead of chunks, and they'd burn away and stop making smoke within 5 minutes so when I wasnt constantly opening the smoker and losing temperature to throw more chips in there, it wasnt making smoke.

Unless you got some of the skin on the chicken, you wouldn't have known it was smoked. It was very succulent though and came out much moister than roasting it.

However the pork came out lovely, nice and tender, a good smoke ring on it and a little bark too. I did two pork shoulders and a chicken:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

Trip report:

My first smoke went well! If anything the meat wasnt smokey enough. I only had cherry wood chips instead of chunks, and they'd burn away and stop making smoke within 5 minutes so when I wasnt constantly opening the smoker and losing temperature to throw more chips in there, it wasnt making smoke.

If you're using wood chips you need to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes. Did your smoker come with a tray to hold them?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I did a couple of ~7.5lb boneless shoulders yesterday. Started the fire around 9am and they were just reaching 195 at like 10:30pm. I've never had one that small take that long. I also used a whole bag of charcoal. I've been using the Pitmaster IQ 110 for my last couple of smokes and it's been working well but it seems to use more fuel than I normally use.

It was also pretty cold yesterday so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Scott Bakula posted:

If you're using wood chips you need to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.

Don't waste your time soaking wood, even chips: http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_soaking_wood.html

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The chips always seem to fill more of the bowl after soaking but maybe thats me not really paying attention :v: I might try weighing them before/after next time anyway and then stop soaking them

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
If you can source hardwood pellets in the UK, get an AMNPS and never worry about running out of smoke again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If anyone in the UK knows where to get either of those I'd be really grateful

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Scott Bakula posted:

If anyone in the UK knows where to get either of those I'd be really grateful

Looks like A-Maze-N Products doesn't have a Euro distributor for their stuff yet, there's a placeholder but no businesses listed. Maybe inquire to see what it'd cost to have it sent overseas? I wouldn't imagine it to be too expensive, the units themselves (depending on the model, of course) aren't that large.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

For those that haven't seen this - you can get dumpling steamers cheaply from your local asain supply that fit a Weber kettle bbq and turns it into a smoker.

A picture of it:

http://instagram.com/p/h1OKLPEExX/

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Nice, it's like a XL WSM Mini!

I wonder if I could cut those up to make a DIY KettlePizza insert.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That's brilliant!

In other news, I finally found a good deal on a replacement XL Big Green Egg so I'll be picking that up next week, finishing building a table for it and back to smoking hopefully within two weeks.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

BraveUlysses posted:

That's brilliant!

In other news, I finally found a good deal on a replacement XL Big Green Egg so I'll be picking that up next week, finishing building a table for it and back to smoking hopefully within two weeks.

How much was it? I would love to have a BGE but they are so pricey :negative:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
About a thousand bucks.

I'm driving to Portland to pick it up because the price is over 100 bucks lower than normal and on top of thatI can skip the 100+ bucks in sales tax.

I had my large egg stolen recently so I was able to get my renters insurance to give me 600 bucks for it after the deductible (I only spent 500 when I bought it).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Woo, welcome back to the BGE team. I still can't believe yours was stolen. That's a pretty solid price for an xl.

For people wanting a BGE, I find it to be a great smoker but I'm not sure I would want to pay that premium if I wasn't also using the high heat features of it.

Then again, the ease of use and the efficiently are pretty great when doing long smokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
If you have a Costco near you, look for the Vision Grills BGE knock off. Goes on sale mid-summer for $399. My wife got me one for my birthday this year and it is very nice.