Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Eheu posted:

Has anybody else noticed a performance hit with the most recent patch? I'm hardly playing on a beast of a machine--just my laptop--so I'm not 100% sure if there's something I can't find that's slowing my laptop down or if the patch is the cause, but it was running perfectly smoothly before this.

Definitely lag spikes here as well, but I had that since the launch. It got worse since last patch though, no clue how to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, I made that Dead Space RIG mod I posted on the last page and... I'm really not sure where to take it from there. I had the idea of having the arctic suit from DS3 be one that protects against heat, but other than that I'm out of cool Dead Space suit ideas. Help me, Starbound Thread! :v:

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

DaveKap posted:

Friend and I dug real deep tonight, only to find something real creepy...

Bwahaha, I found one of those too. It really creeped me out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CJacobs posted:

So, I made that Dead Space RIG mod I posted on the last page and... I'm really not sure where to take it from there. I had the idea of having the arctic suit from DS3 be one that protects against heat, but other than that I'm out of cool Dead Space suit ideas. Help me, Starbound Thread! :v:

Maybe try putting some Necromorph enemies/enemy parts in?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Has anyone had any luck getting anything to load from the mod folder yet? I can't seem to get it to work.

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Mods updated! :toot:

Unsucks guns:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rjl4x3kgvbgbzva/guntweakmodv7.zip

Makes gun drops possible for early tiers as well as increases drop rates for common guns:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/q8zm3vd463fu1zv/gundropmodv6.zip

I tried these, the game just loads forever after the Chucklefish logo.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Help, I can't stop listening to this game music:

http://picosong.com/k2k6/

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

CJacobs posted:

Chane your ship into USG Ishimura.

Also, can you post a link to your DS suit? I love that series so playing as Isaac in Starbound would be awesome.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting anything to load from the mod folder yet? I can't seem to get it to work.

I figured it out, I had my info saved as a .txt instead of a .modinfo.

That said Starbound wont start anymore so we will see! Must have left a comma out somewhere.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I did it! I modded Starbound!

I CAN DO ANYTHING :woop:
But does the Helm glow in the dark. :colbert:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

gibbed posted:

Make the helmet give off three strips of blue light and it'd be perfect.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I literally added two words to a species file, all the parsing is fine, but the game wont load. Hrmmmmm.

code:
      "shirt" : [ "workoutchest", "coolchest", "conceptchest", "sweatervestchest", "unichest" ],
      "pants" : [ "workoutlegs", "coollegs", "conceptlegs", "sweatervestlegs", "unilegs" ],

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I have a few things in my mods folder as well where the parsing is fine on them, but after the update won't load properly. I can't tell if it's something they changed or if I'm just an idiot.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It seems like even putting the regular .species files into species will stop the game from loading.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Bwahaha, I found one of those too. It really creeped me out.

One of the creepiest moments I've had so far is finding the little house biome. It was really creepy to find these seemingly abandoned tiny cities coupled with the eerie sound of of a drafty cave.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

And then you dig further down and find a biome made out of meat. It was like the Crimson from Terraria all over again. :unsmigghh:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

It seems like even putting the regular .species files into species will stop the game from loading.

Oh man I checked the logs and it looks like you can't overwrite .species files from your mod folders so they just conflict. I fixed a bunch of other errors with my mod though so :shrug:

Ahhh I've figured it out. My file structure was off! Having *MODNAME*/assets/ would only load certain files correctly. That's weird, but I'm glad I figured it out.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 15, 2013

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Why does the game get locked to 30FPS when you're in 2X zoom? And I'm pretty sure it's not because my PC isn't strong enough to handle it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

gibbed posted:

It does, yes! It gives off a light glow (it's not blue yet but when it's done it will be!)

I'm also making a palette swap Carver version of each suit for co-op action and for players who like to dress dark, complete with red glow instead.

(Colors are still a work in progress, the light grays are darker now)

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Oh man I checked the logs and it looks like you can't overwrite .species files from your mod folders so they just conflict. I fixed a bunch of other errors with my mod though so :shrug:

Ahhh I've figured it out. My file structure was off! Having *MODNAME*/assets/ would only load certain files correctly. That's weird, but I'm glad I figured it out.

Yeah I believe your *modname* folder is supposed to act as your assets folder, which the game loads on top of its base assets folder. Glad you got it working :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Attention Horse posted:

Chane your ship into USG Ishimura.

Also, can you post a link to your DS suit? I love that series so playing as Isaac in Starbound would be awesome.

Yeah, sure, here you go. Just extract it and drop the "CJacobs' Dead Space RIGs v0.1" inside it in your "/Starbound/mods/" folder, and it'll work fine. You can craft them at any anvil from the get-go (but you may need to start a new guy, sorry).

edit: You might not even have to unzip it but I haven't tried it that way yet.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

myshl0ng posted:

Any way to build smooth edges and perfect circles for my own ship? looks ugly as gently caress when everything is square.

Squares kind of come with the territory of this sort of game.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
Is it possible to mod out hunger? Changing 'foodDepletionRate' in player.config to something really low doesn't do anything, and hunger is a super loving boring mechanic!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Green Calx posted:

Yeah I believe your *modname* folder is supposed to act as your assets folder, which the game loads on top of its base assets folder. Glad you got it working :)

Yeah, what was throwing me was how it was partially working somehow. Time to see if I can add a lovely Geordie LaForge visor to my nerd mod.

Edit:
Whattya think?

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 15, 2013

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
is there a mechanic in the game yet to acquire other races' armor? I'd like to check out some of the other racial bonuses, namely the Apex'.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Danger Doug posted:

is there a mechanic in the game yet to acquire other races' armor? I'd like to check out some of the other racial bonuses, namely the Apex'.

You buy the blueprints from merchants in villages.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Are armor racial bonuses even in yet? I have tier 4 Avian armor and I'm not noticing anything.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
This game is fantastic for the sheer amount of bathroom customization alone.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Tiy just posted this.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That is a great addition. Having a megabase on a planet would actually be useful then!

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

Tiy just posted this.

I'm pretty okay with this being how we handle home planets.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Elendil004 posted:

Tiy just posted this.

Oh thank God!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
My sniper rifle just went from ~9 energy a shot to 50 with the new patch.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Tiy just posted this.

This'd be even better if it came with the set custom beam down point functionality.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Toffile posted:

My sniper rifle just went from ~9 energy a shot to 50 with the new patch.

They were pretty overpowered compared to other guns, it seemed. Then again, I've only ever gotten to Tier 2.

Speaking of, any advice for taking on the T2 boss?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Revol posted:

They were pretty overpowered compared to other guns, it seemed. Then again, I've only ever gotten to Tier 2.

Speaking of, any advice for taking on the T2 boss?

Build a box around it, leaving a hole for you to hit through.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Revol posted:

It's more that most other guns aren't worth it :(

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Is progress in the game already to the point where you get ship upgrades, or nope?

Also, I built the robot.. but I haven't even travelled to the beta universe yet to even get what I guess is the quest for him. If I am at the point where I built him and have silver or steel? armor, am I ready to fight him, or should I be doing something fancy in beta first?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
To be fair, guns give you a pretty huge advantage in a game like this. Being able to just two-shot every enemy you came across trivialized pretty much all combat a few patches ago. It also makes it even easier to cheese bosses, although that was never exactly difficult to begin with. Ideally they'll find some happy medium for gun damage eventually, but who knows how long that'll take since it's just kind of trial and error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
My 2196 dps (1237 dmg 1.77 rof) sniper rifle still only costs 31 energy per shot, more than before but not too much. On the other side my shotgun that used to cost almost 80 energy to fire only sets me back 16 now for 1497 dps (429 dmg 3.49 rof). I think the energy cost overhaul was a step in the right direction.

Edit:

glug posted:

Is progress in the game already to the point where you get ship upgrades, or nope?

Also, I built the robot.. but I haven't even travelled to the beta universe yet to even get what I guess is the quest for him. If I am at the point where I built him and have silver or steel? armor, am I ready to fight him, or should I be doing something fancy in beta first?

You only upgrade your travel map, not your spaceship. For customized spaceships you have to use mods atm. Also there are no quests after the UFO boss, you just sandbox from there.

• Locked thread