Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Has anyone played any of Johnstone's modules the Lair of the Unknown and River Knife series? If so how are they I like what I have read of his online and I'm interested in picking them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've not played the RK series, but Lair of the Unknown is really good and is the template on which all future DW adventure supplements should be built.

Speaking of which, how's your Barrier Peaks conversion going, Evil Mastermind? :v:

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Benagain posted:

From my experience with running six players, splitting the group helps, being really fast with the "Okay, that's what's happening over there, what are YOU doing" helps, and while they're setting up their characters take a few seconds to jot down a situation that'd give each character a chance to shine and make it happen. Doesn't have to be specific or tightly railed, a quick sentence like "a massively complicated device run amok" for the artificer or "a foe bent on a worthy duel" for the fighter.

That's a really good idea and I'm going to steal it.

Having specific threats related to each character should never keep them as threats for that character. If I copy this, the key is to respond with fuckery and intermittant rewards - Sure, Let the fighter get in duels, that's why he picked the fighter. But remember at the same time the great possibilities inherent in having the fighter Gordian Knot his way out of a massive clockwork mechanism, or letting the Artificer get himself out of an honorable duel.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
Hey folks, some magic items I cooked up.

Dust of … Um (close, 0 weight)
When this dust settles on a person, they … it’s on the tip of my tongue, they … why am I so dusty?

Stick to Snake (close, 0 weight)
Upon the yelling of a particular word, this stick turns into a snake. Pick 2:

* Venomous
* Giant
* Constrictor

Go fetch!

Sleep Sand (hand, 0 weight)
Bugbears used to go around sprinkling this in the eyes of small children, then whispering dreams and nightmares into their ears.

Now they mostly just kidnap or eat them, but this is the Age of Iron after all.

Dust of Dustiness (close, 0 weight)
A pinch of this dust applied to a room makes it appear as if it has been undisturbed for a hundred years.

Drying Power (close, 0 weight)
This disturbingly labelled twist of powder absorbs a cubic metre of water, becoming in its place a pellet floating or resting where it was applied.

The Watery Pallet, when broken, releases the water that it absorbed.

The enchantment on this item is unpredictable: the creator was not a good speller.

Dust Decoy (2 weight)
They say ‘dust to dust’, but here it’s the other way around.

The vaguely humanoid dust decoy tries to appear threatening and to take the blows meant for you, like a hireling that you don’t have to feel bad about.

When deployed it holds 3 as if it rolled 10+ on the defend move (it uses your level for damage). It has 5 HP. If bitten, it provokes a coughing fit.

Dust of Dullness (close, 0 weight)
When applied to a person, this dust makes them utterly tedious until they dust themselves off.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Dust of Dustiness is brilliant!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm running "Die, Monster!" from last October's adventure design contest for a PBP group, and I'm making more of a production out of it. I decided to sprinkle in a few artifacts for them, all of which share a pool of resources called a "concordance".

---

The Ring of Virrus: An iron ring crafted in the shape of a symbol of Virrus, forgotten god of the sun. The ring is as thick as two fingers and big enough to slip over an arm with no trouble. Cunningly hidden in the spikes of the symbol are four lengths of fine, strong chain. When spun cunningly, they deploy and the ring can be used as a scourge. Generally this requires training, but the spirit of the ring's former owner, Piotor Schoenenberg, resides in it and is more than willing to help combat the undead.

The ring, even without Piotor helping, is a 1-weight weapon with the tags hand, thrown, near, and holy. It starts with 3-concordance.

When you draw on Piotor's combat skill, the ring gains the close, reach, and precise tags. Also, you roll d6+d8 to Hack and Slash with it. However, Piotor was a reckless fighter. If the d8 is higher than the d6, you will have landed yourself in a precarious situation - the GM will tell you what.

When you ask Piotor to bind an undead enemy, spend 1-concordance. The ring will latch on to the enemy, generally until it's destroyed. The GM will tell you what it does, but as a general rule it'll completely neutralize smaller targets and make larger ones more vulnerable.

When you observe the rites of Virrus at sunrise, roll +wis to see how well you follow Piotor's instructions to do so. On a 10+, gain 3-concordance. On a 7-9, gain 2-concordance. On a 6-, gain 1-concordance in addition to whatever the GM says.

When you ask Piotor about undead lore, he will generally propose a well-grounded but risky course of action. If you follow his advice, mark XP and gain 1-concordance.

---

The Chalice of Despin: This unremarkable pewter goblet is a devotional to Despin, forgotten star of water.

When you grasp the chalice and invoke the name of Despin, star of water, spend 1-concordance and the chalice will fill with enough holy water for a single dose. It can be thrown or applied directly, or bottled and saved for later.

When you give up something precious to help the needy, roll +charity (generally it's per 100 coin, but some needful things will also have value - rations for the hungry, a campfire for the cold). On a 10+ gain 2-concordance; on a 7-9 gain 1-concordance; on a 6, the chalice will tell you what that person really needs -- gain 1-concordance if you give it to them.

When you dip the chalice in a community's supply of water and drink deeply, you will learn in broad terms what they want for. You can ask the chalice "how can I give them this?" but its answers will be vague and often focused around sacrifice.

---

The Wood-Clock of Natrus: This cross-section of an ancient tree somehow bears a small twig with leaves and buds. Originally dedicated to an ancient Elven god of time and memory, Piotor found it suitable as a devotional to Natrus, forgotten star of wood.

When you grasp the wood-clock of Natrus and stand in defense of a person, place, or thing within your reach, you may invoke the name of Natrus, star of wood and spend 1-concordance. If you do, as long as you have hold from Defend you can move wherever you wish - you will always have time to move back and defend them.

When you grasp the wood-clock and concentrate on a person's future, spend 1-concordance. Natrus will grant you a vision of their future and their dire fate. In the next day, you may take a blow meant for them, as long as you can see them.

When you solve a problem by showing people the truth, whether a truth from their memory they have forgotten or a new truth they have never known, gain 1-concordance.

---

And the rest are in spoilers because I know at least one person from the forum where I'm running it is on these forums.

The Iron Scale of Stavul: This iron rod is about a foot long, with a short crossbar in the center. It could easily be used to balance a set of weighing pans. For Piotor, it was a devotional to Stavul, forgotten star of iron.

When you grasp the iron bar and invoke the name of Stavul, star of iron, spend 1-concordance. A nearby metallic object will animate and assist you in combat. Treat it as a hireling with 3 points spread between the Protector and Warrior skills as you wish. Its Warrior rating goes down by 1 every time it takes a counterattack meant for you. When its rating is depleted, the object falls to the ground, inanimate again.

When you grasp the iron bar and pray for guidance, you may ask "How do my desires stand in the way of justice?" The GM will tell you, truthfully.

When you see that justice is done to the detriment of your own desires, gain 1-concordance.

When you act in secret and do good for no hope of earthly reward, roll +good. (For purposes of this ability, the GM can totally assign a number to the good you've done.) On a 10+ gain 2-concordance. On a 7-9, gain 1-concordance. On a 6-, the scale will tell you something else needful to do; doing it will get you 1-concordance.

---

The Crystal Knife of Terces: This short but serviceable knife is little more than a wrapped cloth hilt around a solid shard of crystal. Piotor used it as a devotional to Terces, forgotten star of earth.

The knife itself is a 0-weight weapon with the hand, thrown, near, and precise tags, which deals -1 damage.

When you Volley with the Crystal Knife of Terces, you don't need to throw the knife. It will pull a shard of crystal from the earth and fling it. The crystal shatters into useless shards whether it hits or misses.

When you clasp the hilt and invoke the name of Terces, star of earth, you can spend 1-concordance to give your next attack 3-piercing, or your next volley the area tag. You can spend 2-concordance to do both.

When you have your enemies at your mercy, and show them mercy, roll +enemies. (Powerful ones count double or treble -- hordes count for fractions per. The GM will tell you what the total comes to.) On a 10+, gain 3-concordance. On a 7-9, gain 2-concordance. On a 6-, gain 1-concordance in addition to what the GM says.

---

The Burning Axe of Tiaves: This ill-balanced axe bears flame patterns on its crescent blade. It carries the power of Tiaves, forgotten star of fire.

The axe itself is a 1-weight weapon with the close, thrown, fire, and near tags. Because of its poor balance, when you Hack and Slash or Volley with the axe, take -1.

When you grasp the axe firmly and invoke the name of Tiaves, star of fire, spend 1-concordance. Your next attack with it gains the area tag. Yes, even in melee. While you hold the axe, you are immune to its flames.

When you stand in defense of a person, place, or thing, and brandish the axe, you may spend 1-concordance to gain +3 armor against elemental damage so long as you have hold from Defend.

When you destroy a product of dark magic utterly in cleansing flame, gain 1-concordance.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 14, 2013

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Hey, who wants to read The Elf, The Dwarf and The Halfling and help us spot typos? These are release candidates to be bundled together soon.

One thing I noticed: the Dwarf's chainmail is listed as having the clumsy tag, even though in the Dungeon World rules chainmail doesn't have the tag.

I probably should've asked if I could use these in my game what with these still being unreleased, because I... sort of did. Two of my players picked Elf and Dwarf and both really enjoyed them. Oddly enough, the Dwarf's player got the most mileage out of Spouting Lore with Wisdom than any of his other moves, but the player really got into the act of coming up with bizarrely obscure dwarven sagas and poems to spout lore with.

I'm definitely buying this bundle when it's available.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oh don't worry, they'll be CC even when they're for sale. I'm also happy to learn the dwarf player is doing it right.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
Getting caught up on this thread after being away from the game for a few months and picked up Grim World and I really want to run a game with it. Since it separates the classes from the races how compatible are the DW classes with the GW classes?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Comrade Merf posted:

Getting caught up on this thread after being away from the game for a few months and picked up Grim World and I really want to run a game with it. Since it separates the classes from the races how compatible are the DW classes with the GW classes?

absolutely fine. Since playbooks contain everything a player needs, you can mix and match playbooks to your heart's content. The only real danger is that you may get playbooks with similar roles, but that's really less of an issue in DW than in other games since it can just shift the focus of play.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ratpick posted:

One thing I noticed: the Dwarf's chainmail is listed as having the clumsy tag, even though in the Dungeon World rules chainmail doesn't have the tag.

It was scale at one point, but we changed it and I forgot to take the clumsy tag off. Well spotted.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just DM'd a game for a relatively popular (:jerkbag:) podcast with some other goons, is it ok if I post a link in here once it goes up next week? I'd like some feedback on how I did.

I think it went well, lots of jokes, lots of loving around.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I ran a game of World of Dungeons last night as a tack on for our ongoing Pirate World campaign (I do stuff like this for side stories when all my players can't show, but we still want to play).

Because of asking questions we ended up on the other side of the globe, on a series of sandy desert islands, with a witchdoctor that could pull spirits from the underworld to do his bidding by licking poisonous frogs. One of the other characters worshiped Lovecraftian horrors which he summoned by snorting iocane powder. Basically in our world magic = :2bong:

We also had a giant sarlacc type monster that killed the "street rat" character and almost killed the Prince of Persia-like character before they escaped. It's so cool to watch players create a whole mythos and see references to the other, main, game.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Overemotional Robot posted:

I ran a game of World of Dungeons last night as a tack on for our ongoing Pirate World campaign (I do stuff like this for side stories when all my players can't show, but we still want to play).

Because of asking questions we ended up on the other side of the globe, on a series of sandy desert islands, with a witchdoctor that could pull spirits from the underworld to do his bidding by licking poisonous frogs. One of the other characters worshiped Lovecraftian horrors which he summoned by snorting iocane powder. Basically in our world magic = :2bong:

We also had a giant sarlacc type monster that killed the "street rat" character and almost killed the Prince of Persia-like character before they escaped. It's so cool to watch players create a whole mythos and see references to the other, main, game.

This is awesome, and reading it has inspired a :catdrugs: move for the Sorcerer, which is rapidly approaching it's next playable iteration. I think all the moves are in place, but many require tweaking and rewriting to be clearer or more fictionally interesting.

Psychadelic Sorcery
When you expose yourself to a questionable hallucinatory substance and bring your hallucinations to life, roll+Con. On a 10+, describe your bizarre hallucinations and what they do when they manifest. On a 7-9, describe your hallucinations, but your altered state of mind disturbs your Sorcery, take -1 ongoing to your Sorcery until you’re straight. On a 6-, it’s a bad trip, the GM will describe what you’ve exposed everyone to.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Glazius posted:

So the party druid turned into a cat, and, unable to help myself, I gave him these moves:
  • be the roughest cat that ever roamed at large
  • do as you will do, and there's no doing anything about it
  • break any human law, even the law of gravity
God, I love monster moves.

You're either the best or worst GM. I haven't decided yet.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

madadric posted:

This is awesome, and reading it has inspired a :catdrugs: move for the Sorcerer, which is rapidly approaching it's next playable iteration. I think all the moves are in place, but many require tweaking and rewriting to be clearer or more fictionally interesting.

Psychadelic Sorcery
When you expose yourself to a questionable hallucinatory substance and bring your hallucinations to life, roll+Con. On a 10+, describe your bizarre hallucinations and what they do when they manifest. On a 7-9, describe your hallucinations, but your altered state of mind disturbs your Sorcery, take -1 ongoing to your Sorcery until you’re straight. On a 6-, it’s a bad trip, the GM will describe what you’ve exposed everyone to.

I think it might be more interesting to make the 7-9 result something like "You describe your hallucination, but the GM may introduce minor alterations to it." or something similar. Getting something that's close but not quite what you wanted would be more interesting than just a -1.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Okasvi posted:

I think it might be more interesting to make the 7-9 result something like "You describe your hallucination, but the GM may introduce minor alterations to it." or something similar. Getting something that's close but not quite what you wanted would be more interesting than just a -1.

Yeah I like that.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I used a similar shared freeform description on a 7-9 result mechanic in my earlier Runecaster compendium class so it was pretty easy suggestion to make.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Curious about something: I keep seeing references to an '81 version of World of Dungeons (as apposed to the '79 version from the Kickstarter). Where can I find that? My Googling turns up a lot of confusing talk on the Story Games forum and some flash game.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Hey gnome, I have a question about The Lantern. I hope this is an okay place to discuss it (maybe other people will have the same question). Feel free to respond in PM if you'd prefer--or email which you should have from me late backing.

I've been playing the class a few sessions now in our group's new game and it's been going great. We've ran into some questions with the 6- rule on Light Weaponry, though. The pertinent part of Light Weaponry reads "When you roll a 6- while your little light is in one of these forms, it reverts back to its harmless form and refuses to change back for a short while."

What was your intent with that, exactly? We've played "a short while" to generally be the remainder of a normal fight unless it's especially dragged out or epic. Did you envision The Lantern often using Reveal the Way on the Little Light after that to remain active in the fight? Or just creative Bend Light and using mundane weapons at hand?

Most importantly: We were wondering if you had intended it to only trigger when you roll a 6- on moves that use the Light Weaponry (e.g. firing arrows of light, attacking with the twilight blade, etc.). As it currently reads it appears to trigger (and take away your Light Weaponry) if you flub a Spout Lore or Defy Danger CON or whatever while your Light Weaponry is out. This came up when I was firing arrows 'o light and was surprise jumped by an enemy from behind, triggering a Deft Danger DEX to avoid its rending claws (which I failed). Should that failure have triggered the 6- rule in Light Weaponry, even though it had nothing to do with the Arrows of Light itself?

I'm loving the class, by the way. Unique and fun and happens to fit our made up setting very well.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

incogneato posted:

Hey gnome, I have a question about The Lantern. I hope this is an okay place to discuss it (maybe other people will have the same question). Feel free to respond in PM if you'd prefer--or email which you should have from me late backing.

I've been playing the class a few sessions now in our group's new game and it's been going great. We've ran into some questions with the 6- rule on Light Weaponry, though. The pertinent part of Light Weaponry reads "When you roll a 6- while your little light is in one of these forms, it reverts back to its harmless form and refuses to change back for a short while."

What was your intent with that, exactly? We've played "a short while" to generally be the remainder of a normal fight unless it's especially dragged out or epic.

Yeah, that's the general idea.

quote:

Did you envision The Lantern often using Reveal the Way on the Little Light after that to remain active in the fight? Or just creative Bend Light and using mundane weapons at hand?

The latter, mostly, but the former is an option if you need your light now. This is the main advantage of the Mentor Source of Light option.

quote:

Most importantly: We were wondering if you had intended it to only trigger when you roll a 6- on moves that use the Light Weaponry (e.g. firing arrows of light, attacking with the twilight blade, etc.). As it currently reads it appears to trigger (and take away your Light Weaponry) if you flub a Spout Lore or Defy Danger CON or whatever while your Light Weaponry is out. This came up when I was firing arrows 'o light and was surprise jumped by an enemy from behind, triggering a Deft Danger DEX to avoid its rending claws (which I failed). Should that failure have triggered the 6- rule in Light Weaponry, even though it had nothing to do with the Arrows of Light itself?

That is actually ambiguous on purpose! It is up to the situation. If it makes sense to lose your light from a miss result, you will lose it. You'd always lose it if you were currently using it as a weapon and rolled a miss.

quote:

I'm loving the class, by the way. Unique and fun and happens to fit our made up setting very well.

I am glad to hear that :3:

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Life's hard when your feet are the size of a house and also toxic.
Ok so I've been playing this Dungeon World campaign for a while now; it's pretty lighthearted and up in meta. Bunch of guys trying to make an adventure as ridiculous as possible sort of thing. Harebrained schemes; enchanted items so insane no wizard would want to make them. Rules get handwaved a lot for any good reason. I've gotten a lot of good stories out of this adventure.

I've been playing this Bard, skald-style. I like bards; I find the jack of all trades, master of none thing fun and I love the motif of a wandering historian, seeking, telling and trading exotic tales. Appropriately, I'm not sure I've ever rolled over a 6 on Arcane Art with an instrument.

This bard. I took Multiclass Dabbler at level 2 to take the Ranger's God Amidst the Wastes. The effect of this was such that I am now a level 5 bard with all the best bits of being a level 4 cleric. I get Commune and Cast Spell. Wow, awesome!

The character sheets the DM gave us were a bit dated so now this bard/ranger/cleric hits level 4 and I decide hey, let's look at the Fighter. Turns out in the old rules the Fighter's multiclass dabbler lets you take Wizard's Spellbook, Prepare Spells and Cast Spell as level 1. So of course I multiclassed into Fighter to multiclass into Wizard.

I guess now I'm a Bard-Ranger-Cleric-Fighter-Wizard. With 5 levels in Bard, 4 in Cleric and 2 in Wizard. I have all the spells. They are all mine.

e: Accuracy.

LeadRobot fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 15, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The rules, p.29 posted:

If a move from another class refers to your level, count your levels from the level where you first gained a move from that class.

Cleric and Wizard spellcasting you get from multiclassing does not operate at your level -1, it operates one level below the level you first took the MC move.

You do have Cleric spellcasting as if you were level 4, but your Wizard spellcasting is level 2.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 15, 2013

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

It's been a few weeks since I've played. Looking back I'm pretty sure that's actually how things are.

I'll make sure to double check when I'm playing later today.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
To be fair, that's a really dumb rule since no other game mechanic/class move cares what level you acquire it, so I'd expect a good proportion of GMs to house rule it.

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

I went and double checked the exact wording on the old Fighter sheets.

quote:

Fighter: Multiclass Dabbler

Get one move from another class. For the purposes of Multiclass Dabbler the Wizard's Spellbook, Prepare Spells, and Cast a Spell moves count as one move. The Cleric's Commune and Cast a Spell moves also count as one move. If you gain the ability to cast spells you cast them as if you were one level lower.

Old sheets, old rules; so I guess I am a level 4 wizard after all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

To be fair, that's a really dumb rule since no other game mechanic/class move cares what level you acquire it, so I'd expect a good proportion of GMs to house rule it.

It makes it so you don't have people picking up the ability to cast spells at practically their own level on top of everything else. I'm all for spellcasters not getting to take a dump all over everyone else's niche, but that street should go both ways - you shouldn't be able to be a Wizard of practically your own level in addition to being a Bard or Fighter or anything else.

The problem is that there's nothing stopping you from MCing to Cast a Spell at level 2 and then getting to do that anyway, and on top of that it adds system mastery and fiddly number-tracking.

A far better solution would be to have it so your spellcasting level always counts as half or a third of your actual level when you have those moves.

LeadRobot posted:

I went and double checked the exact wording on the old Fighter sheets.

Old sheets, old rules; so I guess I am a level 4 wizard after all.

I'm guessing that's pre-release stuff, since that's definitely not what the release book/sheets says. To be honest, it's pretty easy to see why they changed it.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 15, 2013

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Could be. This guy's been playing at Dungeon World for longer than I've known him.

quote:

It makes it so you don't have people picking up the ability to cast spells at practically their own level on top of everything else.

And I would feel like a total d-bag for doing exactly that if I hadn't been eaten by a massive frog to collect a chunk of radium and passed through after striking the brown note with a perfect chord, thus securing my place as god-prophet for a race of tiny frog people and a cleric of The Wartmother.

Or the salt golems that banged to combine and transform into a bigger salt golem we could briefly use like a mechsuit and save the day.

Or loading psychadelics into the water supply of the clan of violent bugmen nearby so we could sneak in and use some weird frog slime to turn their leader into a mindless slave of the wartmother.

By which I mean things are pretty fast, furious and lighthearted. I point to zap-style Paranoia as a frame of reference, but with a lot less party tension. I'm pretty sure my DM is more amused by me being magical MacGyver than anything else.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

This. I consider it a kinda absurd gotcha. Though it's really more of a problem with the Wizard and Cleric class design. If the core move gave you a set of spells that was useful enough to get by on their own and then you could take additional moves that expanded your spell list with some spiffy spells, they'd be considerably better classes. The Lantern takes a similar approach to what I just suggested, though there'd be differences to accord for the Wizard and Cleric's memorization method.

Something like this: Their starting spell book moves gives them several useful utility and combat spells. The spell levels get pruned way down and instead there're something like two or three different levels of increasing spell effectiveness. Then you get expanded spell set moves that grant two or three spells of a particular theme plus an expansion of how many spells you can memorize. Every spell set including the starting set has a mix of spell levels. This way, dabblers stay dabblers but they're still more useful than level 1 Wizards as currently written.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 15, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Basically the problem is, as always, "Vancian" spellcasting.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Basically the problem is, as always, "Vancian" spellcasting.
My proposition was basically to have something like that without the problems of the current implementation. Like, a major spell might count as two minor spell but it packs a considerable punch. On the other hand, the minor spells're all useful in different ways.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah dump wizard, be a Mage instead.

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Spells are for amateurs anyways. True Wizzerds seek to master to art of using prestidigitation to solve every situation.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The Mage cast a spell has a consequence where the spell gets much more powerful/large (or small) than the caster intended. The guy I was playing with last night always chose that one and I always ruled it got out of control instead of otherwise. At the end of the session, while trying to animate a statue, he accidentally animated every object in a room, including the components of the room itself, which then proceeded to tear itself apart as each individual brick tried to follow his order.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The Mage cast a spell has a consequence where the spell gets much more powerful/large (or small) than the caster intended. The guy I was playing with last night always chose that one and I always ruled it got out of control instead of otherwise. At the end of the session, while trying to animate a statue, he accidentally animated every object in a room, including the components of the room itself, which then proceeded to tear itself apart as each individual brick tried to follow his order.

That's basically the idea (or you wanted to cast a spell to paralyse a bunch of bad guys, but instead it paralyses everyone including the king).

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I just DM'd a game for a relatively popular (:jerkbag:) podcast with some other goons, is it ok if I post a link in here once it goes up next week? I'd like some feedback on how I did.

I think it went well, lots of jokes, lots of loving around.

Oh yeah, incidentally, someone in the chat thread wanted some more actual plays of non-PbP DW, so you can probably post it there too.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I forget who it was who originally wrote The Meteor, Lichadore Supreme but I actually got to use him! I had a ridiculous amount of fun and the players loved it, even though the Lantern resolutely stayed out of the fight and the Thief spent more time trying to wrestle the microphone away from the commentator. The strength draining effect made my Golem player very sad, but it did force him to try other things than "just tackle the fucker" - the fact that a) the Golem cannot be moved if he does not want to be and b) if the Golem gets you in a pin, you cannot get out of it meant that the fight was a little more frantic than I'd originally envisioned. There were plenty of uses of Tensor's Floating Disc to get the Meteor off the mat so the 3-count didn't count, a bunch more mook lichadores showing up to call out the rest of the party and cause mayhem, a large pile of furniture and miscellaneous weapons for the rest of the party to throw in the ring, that sort of thing. There was a lovely moment where the party was ganging up on Meteor so he threw the Dragon Mage into the audience. The Dragon Mage activated his wings and flew back in. The commentator was like "I'm not sure if that's legal or not but it was definitely impressive enough that I'm not gonna check the rulebook!"

The Golem managed to pin Meteor for the 3-count in the end, even though he was on 0 strength. Meteor graciously gave him the title belt and said that he had better come back to defend it next year. The belt gives +1 to any attempts to nonlethally pin an opponent because I am bad at thinking up magic items (any better ideas?). In addition, the Golem requested that Meteor teach him his signature move, Cage of Force (a big ol' bear hug). He did, suitably impressed by the Golem. We now have an otherwise emotionless golem who pretty much channels the Meteor in any fight. "CAAAAAAAGE OF FOOOOORRRRCCEE!! is rapidly becoming a catchphrase in my group.

Some comments on some custom playbooks:

The City Thief is way better than the regular thief but I am straight up not a fan of Avoid the Light. It's a very faithful recreation of what happens in Thief but I don't like that it makes the Thief uncatchable without a roll. Particularly that you vanish and become uncatchable once you get more than a couple of feet away from them. I mean, yes, enemies might have darkvision or be carrying a light source, but I feel it's too strong for it's intended purpose.

On a similar note, the Walker is absolutely crazy once you get Spider's Leap. Death from Above is incredibly powerful (an insta knock enemy unconscious move is too powerful without a caveat that it only works on mooks) but once you gain the ability to just do it all the time, every time, the Walker stops using Hack and Slash and just kidnaps and knocks people unconscious all the time. Or, if he doesn't want to do that, it's just a way of making sure every single attack triggers Brutal Strike. Additionally, while Nobody Looks Up is very nice, the Hidden Cities background really needs the "if you're above their line of sight clause" because the way it's written our Walker got to use it in a six-foot tunnel and was invisible to somebody directly in front of him.

The Survivor needs a rethink because Survive and Dead Man Walking has a high chance of making you indestructible, as far as I can tell. Get into combat, take arbitrarily high amounts of damage - let's say hundreds - which you soak as Pain. Combat finishes, you brace for the wave of pain to hit, get 7-9 on Survive and take a debility. Like, I get that not dying is the survivor's gimmick but the way those two moves pan out they might as well read "Become invincible for 6 combats without healing"

For the Golem, we had the slightly unusual experience that it seems like Immovable Object actually means that the Golem has a magic intertial dampener. I am not sure if this is intentional or whether Immovable Object is supposed to represent the Golem planting his feet and refusing to budge, but basically I feel that when a giant tentacle monster wraps a tentacle round your waist and lifts you, Immovable Object shouldn't happen. I feel like the trigger should read something like "When you plant your feet and brace against an incoming attack" rather than simply when an enemy tries to move you.

Don't get me wrong, I love these playbooks, but there's these slight oddities in wording here and there that I'm not sure are intentional. There's nothing that won't be fixed with a sanity clause or a rewording and (with the possible exception of Spider's Leap and Dead Man Walking) these are all really cool moves.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doodmons posted:

The City Thief is way better than the regular thief but I am straight up not a fan of Avoid the Light. It's a very faithful recreation of what happens in Thief but I don't like that it makes the Thief uncatchable without a roll. Particularly that you vanish and become uncatchable once you get more than a couple of feet away from them. I mean, yes, enemies might have darkvision or be carrying a light source, but I feel it's too strong for it's intended purpose.

Its intended purpose is to totally let you be Garrett, so arguably it's exactly as strong as it needs to be. :v:

But no, I get what you mean. It's not been a problem for me; remember that just because the Thief is no longer visible to an NPC doesn't mean that the NPC forgets the Thief is there. Also, remember that the Thief can totally still make noise unless they're level 6+ and have Without Being Heard alongside Avoid the Light.

e; vv

If, narratively, you're in a six foot tunnel in front of a guy and they would see him, then they see him.

No, if it's dark they won't see him. That's the entire point of the move. They'll probably bump into him, so "he's going to bump into you, what do you do?" is fine, but outright ignoring the purpose of the move (making you supernaturally invisible as long as you're in the shadows) is daft.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 15, 2013

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Also remember that fiction comes first. If the tentacles would lift the Golem off the ground, it happens.

If, narratively, you're in a six foot tunnel in front of a guy and they would see him, then they see him.

All you have to do is just say the move doesn't trigger because ~reason~

Obviously you want to be fair about this and you shouldn't find a reason for it to happen all the time. I would also suggest letting the players know before they try to trigger the move, "the tentacles are so big on this thing that there's no way you're keeping your feet on the ground. What do you do?"

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 15, 2013

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Also remember that fiction comes first. If the tentacles would lift the Golem off the ground, it happens.

All you have to do is just say the move doesn't trigger because ~reason~

Obviously you want to be fair about this and you shouldn't find a reason for it to happen all the time. I would also suggest letting the players know before they try to trigger the move, "the tentacles are so big on this thing that there's no way you're keeping your feet on the ground. What do you do?"

This is a particular argument I have with a friend of mine. From my perspective, yeah, fiction comes first and no, motherfucker, you're directly in front of that guy's face it doesn't matter that you're standing upside down on the ceiling of course he can see you. From my friend's point of view, the whole point of *World is that fiction comes first until it hits the rules. As the book says, the rules are only there to interject when something they cover happens in the conversation. If you're going to ignore the rules, you're not playing the game. So when the rules say that yep, I'm invisible if I'm standing on the ceiling then by god that's what happens. I do actually sort of agree with him. If you're going to start adjudicating when and when not to apply the moves based on something other than when the rules say you should, you are very clearly missing the point. To do it, do it. The problem is when the trigger doesn't match what the fiction says should really be happening.

To come up with a vague example, imagine a 6-10 move for the Fighter called Counterattack that reads "When an enemy does damage to you, you may do your class damage to them." which thematically represents you getting a counterattack in. It's a really poo poo move, but bear with me. Let's say that a naked unarmed Fighter with this move is shot from 500 metres away by a bowman. By the rules as written, he may now do his class damage to that bowman. Nevermind that he can't do anything to him, that's what the rules say.
The solution to this problem would be to change the trigger of the move to read "When an enemy does damage to you and you respond with a swift counterattack". Now the move does what it is supposed to do without the weird edge cases.

Arguably I'm completely missing the point of Dungeon World, and maybe I am, but I feel like the triggers for moves should be very carefully worded indeed - particularly if you do not want a move to be treated like a magic spell, they should always be triggered by the character doing something in the fiction rather than as a reaction to something happening to them. In most cases, I'd consider a move like the Golem's Immovable Object to be poorly worded simply because the trigger doesn't start with "When you..."

tl;dr It would be nice if you didn't have to adjudicate whether the situation "counts" when the rules say a move triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, it's official! :siren:DW Race bundle is up for sale:siren:

The bundle is here:
http://tinyurl.com/dwoldschool

If for some reason you want each one individually (which really only gives the people involved larger tips), here they are:

http://tinyurl.com/dwdwarf
http://tinyurl.com/dwtheelf
http://tinyurl.com/dwhalfling

And of course the earlier links will be up if you want to preview the classes. They're all Creative Commons licensed, as is the artwork used for the covers (thanks to the Prismatic Art Collection and artist Kaitlynn Peavler).

e: Edited to add, the folder link from the readthrough phase earlier will still work. You can still use it, and it is updated.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 15, 2013