Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Anyone have an idea as to why the console won't appear in IWD2? I've been using it to Ctrl+J when backracking (gently caress the first Torak area) and to get improved initiative working (spawn a consumable that emulates the effect), but today it just won't show up no matter how much I press ctrl+tab. And yes, it's turned on in the configs, the .ini has Cheats=1, and I've tried turning it on/off several times to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Have you tried CTRL+SPACE? I think it's one of those commands that varies between games, patches, expansions etc.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

inscrutable horse posted:

Have you tried CTRL+SPACE? I think it's one of those commands that varies between games, patches, expansions etc.

Yeah I have, but it's 100% ctrl+tab - it was working fine yesterday/friday after all.

E: Huh, apparently one of the buttons had been rebound somehow? I've never entered the key-config screen so not sure how that would happen (or why it should impact the console anyway), but after hitting 'reset to default' it now works again.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 15, 2013

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Angry Lobster posted:

How did that happened? You could free the hostage right after killing the mage and Tazok, and after the hostage gets out you can go after the dragon. Also, when he chases you to the upper floor it gets stuck in the door and can't chase you further, so if you don't engage directly at most he thows some fire breath when it has vision.

He appeared in the middle of the prison room (this is on EE) and his fire breath killed her - also my evil char refuses to back down or revert to any underhand tactics; I AM BHALL!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
But...Bhaal loves underhanded tactics. Dude is the furthest thing from a vaguely honorable evil deity

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Nation posted:

He appeared in the middle of the prison room (this is on EE) and his fire breath killed her - also my evil char refuses to back down or revert to any underhand tactics; I AM BHALL!
So your character challenged the dragon to a fight in your first meeting with him and then ran away. That does sound like backing down. :)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Nation posted:

I see, seems you have a bad case of teleporting dragons there, good luck with that!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nation posted:

I need help with my solo F/M/T in BG2 - Greater Werewolves are kicking my rear end fiercely on the way to Firkraag what is the best way to deal?

I know i can handle the dragon but hosed if i can beat the 5 werewolves and pals outside his door.

Are you playing in the Enhanced Editions, or in regular BG2? Because the latter has bugged Greater Werewolves.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fong posted:

Are you playing in the Enhanced Editions, or in regular BG2? Because the latter has bugged Greater Werewolves.

Yeah in regular bg2 sometimes they bug out and get some sort of weird super regeneration where they heal so ridiculously fast that you can't kill them fast enough unless you unleash overwhelming DPS on them all at once.

No idea if that's still a bug in EE as I haven't played the EE of bg2 yet.

e: I also can't recall if there is any way to fix it sort of reloading a save from before you entered the dungeon and hoping it doesn't bug out again.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Vigilance posted:

Yeah in regular bg2 sometimes they bug out and get some sort of weird super regeneration where they heal so ridiculously fast that you can't kill them fast enough unless you unleash overwhelming DPS on them all at once.

e: I also can't recall if there is any way to fix it sort of reloading a save from before you entered the dungeon and hoping it doesn't bug out again.

Might try hitting them with some kind of slow effect. According to sources I've read, slow/haste will alter the speed of regen effects.

Alternatively you could just use the CTRL-Y cheat to kill it instantly.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Vigilance posted:

The wereworlf regeneration bug was present in EE before the big patch hit at least. No idea if it was fixed with that.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I think this has been discussed to death elsewhere but is there any real downside for dualing Kensai/Mage at 13 rather than 9?

Giving the EEs a go and most of the way through BG1 at the moment, I'm intending on carrying the character through BG2EE and as far as I can tell even if I dual at 13 I'll still get plenty of high level spell slots and HLAs.

Also, Rasaad... Stop dying please, or if you insist on killing yourself stop reseting your quest/dialogue triggers back to the first conversation every time so I can actually progress with you.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
So I've recently beat IWD2, and I was thinking of going back in to do Heart of Fear or w/e the bonus mode is called with a party that beat the game.

Do you have to have a super optimized comp to run through it, or is it viable to just say 'gently caress it' and go with whatever you have, with the right strategy or tactics or w/e?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Heart of Fear was a New Game+ mode, you don't have to be optimized but you need to start with a level 10+ group.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PurplieNurplie posted:

So I've recently beat IWD2, and I was thinking of going back in to do Heart of Fear or w/e the bonus mode is called with a party that beat the game.

Do you have to have a super optimized comp to run through it, or is it viable to just say 'gently caress it' and go with whatever you have, with the right strategy or tactics or w/e?

What level do you end up finishing the game at? I just arrived at the Black Raven stronghold so I was wondering how long the game is.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

kingcom posted:

What level do you end up finishing the game at? I just arrived at the Black Raven stronghold so I was wondering how long the game is.

14-15 depending on party size and ECLs.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Yeah, my dudes were like 16/17 by the end of the last fight.

Good to hear that I can just jump into it though. New items, tougher fights...should be an interesting challenge.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

VodeAndreas posted:

I think this has been discussed to death elsewhere but is there any real downside for dualing Kensai/Mage at 13 rather than 9?

Giving the EEs a go and most of the way through BG1 at the moment, I'm intending on carrying the character through BG2EE and as far as I can tell even if I dual at 13 I'll still get plenty of high level spell slots and HLAs.

Also, Rasaad... Stop dying please, or if you insist on killing yourself stop reseting your quest/dialogue triggers back to the first conversation every time so I can actually progress with you.

Level 9 can be reached pretty quickly (just stock up a bunch of scrolls and you'll get a big chunk of the way there), but level 13 can take a while

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Piell posted:

Level 9 can be reached pretty quickly (just stock up a bunch of scrolls and you'll get a big chunk of the way there), but level 13 can take a while

OK, if the main difficulty is the length of time I think I can deal with that, still trying to work out what my BG2 party is going to be (part of me wants to drop keldorn to try someone new, but he's too amazing to pass up) but I think I should be able to carry myself through the early game without too much trouble.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Greater Werewolves have 2hp per second regen which isnt that hard to outdamage. That regen was reapplied every time you loaded a saved game though, so even with only a couple of reloads they were regaining 36hp every round. That's pretty hard to outdamage solo.

EE has fixed this, as have the BG2 fix packs.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

OK, if the main difficulty is the length of time I think I can deal with that, still trying to work out what my BG2 party is going to be (part of me wants to drop keldorn to try someone new, but he's too amazing to pass up) but I think I should be able to carry myself through the early game without too much trouble.

Level 13 for a Fighter is 1.25m XP, and Level 14 Mage (to get your Kensai levels back) is another 1.5m XP. The XP cap in SoA is 2.95m, and that's roughly how much experience you will have in a full 6 person party when you finish SoA. That means you're going to spend the vast majority of the game as an underleveled single-class Mage if you don't do some significant exploiting.

Level 9 Fighter is only 250k XP and level 10 Mage is only another 250k XP, which means that you can get your Kensai abilities back very quickly in SoA, even with a full party.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

VodeAndreas posted:

Drop Keldorn for plain Dorn. He's a total badass and having him fight with the women for your love is pretty awesome and :stare:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

drat, I didn't realise it was THAT much of a jump actually...

I had to pull out my BG1 manual to find the gold to reputation table for donations, I should have pulled out my BG2 manual to look at the XP chart before I make silly statements. Yeah I'm not sure if that extra half an attack and handful of HP are worth an extra 1.25m XP.

With regards to Dorn over Keldorn, I'm trying to keep with a good party this run through and pick up Dorn and Hexxat next time I get around to playing through the games.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Ran into some nasty bug while pickpocketing - I accidentally mashed quicksave after failling a steal (but before Roger turned red). When reloading, he isn't aggro and doesn't remember to go aggro, but trying to buy from him just puts you in the this weird shop menu where you can't select anything and the only option is 'steal'.

I even killed him with a Ctrl+Y and respawned him and it resets his quest but the same bug persists.

Not a huge deal but he had a lot of great potions to buy/steal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

VodeAndreas posted:

drat, I didn't realise it was THAT much of a jump actually...

I had to pull out my BG1 manual to find the gold to reputation table for donations, I should have pulled out my BG2 manual to look at the XP chart before I make silly statements. Yeah I'm not sure if that extra half an attack and handful of HP are worth an extra 1.25m XP.

With regards to Dorn over Keldorn, I'm trying to keep with a good party this run through and pick up Dorn and Hexxat next time I get around to playing through the games.

Dualling at 13 Kensai is not something you do with a full party. And it's really of questionable value to begin with. If it were a solo run it might be kind of manageable but still probably a silly choice.

Just dual at 9 like a sane person.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
A few questions for those in the know with Baldurs Gate 1 + 2 -

What are some of the "must buy" items from vendors? I'm just getting to Baldur's gate itself in the first game and want to make sure I have all the good stuff on my main character (pantaloons, etc.)

What are the "must transfer" items to the second game? Spider's Bane is good, the +2 hammer I got early is good, anything else?

Do I dual my kensai at 9 to a mage in the first game or the second game?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gyshall posted:

What are some of the "must buy" items from vendors? I'm just getting to Baldur's gate itself in the first game and want to make sure I have all the good stuff on my main character (pantaloons, etc.)

What are the "must transfer" items to the second game? Spider's Bane is good, the +2 hammer I got early is good, anything else?

If this is your first time playing the game, please for the love of god do not play a Kensai/Mage. It will be miserable and you will hate it.

It really, really isn't a first timer thing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gyshall posted:

Nothing really good transfers (other than the pantaloons). If you want to do a kensai/mage for your first run, don't do that and just make a multiclass fighter/mage instead. 95% as good, 10% as annoying for a new player.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Just dual at 9 like a sane person.

When starting my Kensai/thief run I discovered that you could dual at lvl 14 instead of 13 and still reach the same max thief lvl. I regained my kensai lvls in the underdark. I think that gave me 3 sweet extra hit points.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Not my first run, but my first BG/BG2 import run. I've played both before. Just trying to be a bit more gamey this run.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nightblade posted:

When starting my Kensai/thief run I discovered that you could dual at lvl 14 instead of 13 and still reach the same max thief lvl. I regained my kensai lvls in the underdark. I think that gave me 3 sweet extra hit points.

A solo run, I would presume. If it's a soloing run, dualling past 9 stops being "literally insane".

Just maybe a little pointless.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
Any good tutorials on making kits? I'd like to merge the wild mage stuff with the sorcerer class for a BGEE+BG2EE run.

I also wonder if a Winston the Bhaarspawn run is possible.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ImpulseDrive posted:

Any good tutorials on making kits? I'd like to merge the wild mage stuff with the sorcerer class for a BGEE+BG2EE run.

I also wonder if a Winston the Bhaarspawn run is possible.

I know that sorcerer was hardcoded in the regular BG2, and IIRC modded kits break BG:EE since 1.2.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ImpulseDrive posted:

For the Wild Sorc, you might be able to get away with just adding Nahal's Reckless Dweomer to your spellbook pretty easily. Actually getting wild magic on all spells might be a wee bit more difficult.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
EEKeeper will drop the Dweomer in there just fine. I did want the wild surge effect on everything else, though.

I know there's a wild sorcerer kit on the BGEE forums, but it's broken as of 1.2. I thought it could be updated based on some threads over there, but I have never made a BG kit. Not sure how easy would be to port to BG2EE if I could update it.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Christ on a bike, the Neera quest and 'chatter' in BGEE is so utterly awful. I like having a wild mage in the party but I'm not sure it's worth having to put up with the bad writing. Does it get better after Adoy the wild mage and his goblin friends?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
If by better you mean that's the end of her quest until BG2:EE, then yes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I actually kinda like Neera and find her banter to be kinda funny. I guess I'm the target demographic.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Same here. I find her less annoying than at least 50% of party-able npcs, and near 100% of female npcs. Plus nothing beats "…is that a pit fiend?" when you're almost out of spells in a room full of angry wizards :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
To be fair, it's a pretty low bar. I played BG for the first time recently after more than a decade of loving BGII, and it's remarkable how bad all of the writing (and some of the game, to be honest) is. It's overblown, kitchy, and switches between Ye Olde English and lolrandom according to whim or fancy.

Neera fits fine in that environment, and would probably have been a favorite of many if she had been included in the original.