Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JohnSherman posted:

For anyone who doesn't watch the show, you should know that the unresolved tension is between two characters that the show blatantly said would not get together way back during the pilot episode in 2005.

No but maybe he's talking about "aunt robin" in some sort of code like she was his one true love and then she dies blah blah blah blah

Some of the dumb things people would tell themselves to keep that dream alive were just awful and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In re: Big Bang Theory, I thought the kid from Roseanne and Penny have hooked up and broke up like ten times by now? And isn't their relationship pretty much the only good thing about the show? Of the episodes I've watched (not many) those two were the only ones I didn't want to brutally murder with an axe.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Deadpool posted:

It was one of my favorite shows when it was on. I definitely miss it. And yeah, I liked it way more than Chuck. Another show that was very short and had a great comedy/action mix was The Good Guys. Now that was a show I really loved.

HOW big a fan of Reaper were you? I remember entering a contest in hopes of being a 'guest reap'. That's how much I loved season 1.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

precision posted:

In re: Big Bang Theory, I thought the kid from Roseanne and Penny have hooked up and broke up like ten times by now? And isn't their relationship pretty much the only good thing about the show?

No, they have pretty much the worst chemistry of any couple on television (along with Ann and Tom on P&R, thank God that's over). Any attraction or romance between them never becomes believable, not even for a second.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DivisionPost posted:

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but wasn't this the point where they started showing the earlier produced episodes? Because that might explain a few things.

Yeah, I think someone said this last episode was number... three? in production order, and we have 2 and 4 to get through before we right the ship at #8.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

jeffersonlives posted:

I think a lot of these end up being that shows hold off putting the unresolved sexual tension couple together and then do it around the time the show is becoming bad for unrelated reasons. A good counterexample to "Moonlighting syndrome" is How I Met Your Mother, which had by far its best season when putting the key couple together, then got progressively worse after breaking them up and going back to near-constant and increasingly terrible will they/won't they stuff. And now we're in season 9 and they still tease that same unresolved tension and it's basically like a death march.

You mean Robin and Ted? Yeah, that's gotta be one of the most painful will they won't they bits in recent memory.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The latest Almost Human episode was just fine.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm not really a horror person, but my friend gave me access to his Netflix and American Horror Story was the first recommendation, so I figured, why not? This is legitimately good TV, unlike another cable TV show starring a 90s leading man (I'm looking at you, Falling Skies).

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 15, 2013

ufarn
May 30, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but wasn't this the point where they started showing the earlier produced episodes? Because that might explain a few things.
The last episode was pretty much the same, and the bar for TV has just been raised to the point where I find writing as bad as this inexcusable. I'm not going to pretend it's healthy to watch as much TV as I do anyway.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

So a while back I asked about shows similar to Chuck, with a blend of comedy + other genre that were fun, lighthearted, and didn't take themselves too seriously.
I was recommended Warehouse 13
I'm two episodes in.
Either that was a very successful troll or maybe the show gets astronomically better, but it's a pretty bad show imo. It's not really funny at all -- what jokes there are, are delivered horribly. The writing is just really poor all around. So does the show get a lot better or was it all a joke at my expense? Or maybe my tastes are just different from those that recommended it.

On the bright side, I'm watching Moonlighting and it's pretty close to what I was asking for.

I wonder if Dead Like Me would qualify? It has it's own dry/dark humour streak running through it and some nice character moments, along with the "secret double life balancing act" thing Chuck and Reaper had.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Cactus posted:

I wonder if Dead Like Me would qualify? It has it's own dry/dark humour streak running through it and some nice character moments, along with the "secret double life balancing act" thing Chuck and Reaper had.

I've seen it, and yeah that would fit perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just watched the first episode of Reaper and it's a bit jokier than I was hoping for but it's not bad.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Still working my way through S1 of Arrow. Still pretty good but I've got to be honest, I find Ollie's family really annoying in a way I'm pretty sure the writers aren't intending. I get that a big part of this as a very Nolan/Batman Begins-esque look at Ollie becoming the Green Arrow is that tension of the double life and how his self-appointed mission conflicts with his home life, but even without the vigilantism I'm not sure I wouldn't be making every excuse I could to duck out of social functions with them either.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Ollie's family dynamic is a bit rough in season one (I remember Thea in particular bugging me in several episodes because they didn't seem to know what to do with her) but unless you're just outright hating the show then just stick with it. I can't really say at what point things get better because it's mostly story spoilers, but eventually things really pick up and the show just takes off from there. With the notable exception of the Huntress arc, which I think everybody agrees was a really weak couple of episodes. Like I said though if you're at least somewhat enjoying the show then power through to the season finale, and know that season 2 has been firing on all cylinders so far and has had like 3-4 of the best episodes the show's ever done.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

VDay posted:

With the notable exception of the Huntress arc, which I think everybody agrees was a really weak couple of episodes.

Guess what I'm watching right now :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Argue posted:

I replied to you a while back but please don't give up on Buffy after 3 eps; the first season is really not a good metric to judge the rest of the series by :(

Buffy's first season is pretty dire overall with a few glimmers of potential. If you've seen the first three episodes, skip to the 3rd episode of Season 2.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Buffy's first season is pretty dire overall with a few glimmers of potential. If you've seen the first three episodes, skip to the 3rd episode of Season 2.

:psyduck: Why would you skip the season 1 finale? The Master is awesome, and Buffy dying the first time is something important for later.

Then again I quite like most of the episodes of season 1, it has some of my favorite MOTW episodes of the whole show, like Witch, Nightmares, and Out of Mind Out of Sight.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

ufarn posted:

The last episode was pretty much the same, and the bar for TV has just been raised to the point where I find writing as bad as this inexcusable. I'm not going to pretend it's healthy to watch as much TV as I do anyway.

I'd say give it a chance(mainly because I'm a fan). I'll agree, last few eps have been standard cop stuff carried by the chemistry of the two leads, with occasional guest star Mackenzie Crook. However, ep.2(broadcast order) really gave an idea of what the series can be when it lets its premise take center stage. Sexbots has so far been the best episode at world building and having an interesting plot. That bright light gives me hope that later episodes will also take advantage of the setting.

The best comparison I've heard of AH is that it has the opposite problem of SHIELD. AH has great characters with a meh world so far, while SHIELD has an interesting world with meh characters.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Tupping Liberty posted:

:psyduck: Why would you skip the season 1 finale? The Master is awesome, and Buffy dying the first time is something important for later.

Then again I quite like most of the episodes of season 1, it has some of my favorite MOTW episodes of the whole show, like Witch, Nightmares, and Out of Mind Out of Sight.

Oh I actually like most of Season One actually (especially Out of Mind Out of Sight), even though it can be pretty dire . You are right though, Prophecy Girl should not be skipped I apologize.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Kai Tave posted:

Guess what I'm watching right now :v:

Beyond the Everest of bad TV that is those episodes the show becomes something really special, you won't be disappointed.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

regulargonzalez posted:

I've seen it, and yeah that would fit perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just watched the first episode of Reaper and it's a bit jokier than I was hoping for but it's not bad.

What about The Pretender?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hannibal is the grossest show I've seen. In terms of gore it surpasses all the Hannibal movies. How is this on network tv again? And still no breasts or swearing allowed? There are some truly disturbing visuals that make you want to vomit.

e: also you know you watch way too much TV when you know it's filmed in Canada because you recognize more than 1 Canadian actor.

e2: holy poo poo Eddie Izzard doing his Anthony Hopkins impression. This is great.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 16, 2013

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's sterile, disconnected, and dreamlike. The way it's shot has a weird way of disconnecting you from what's actually going on. You see the killers' creations as they intend, as art, instead of the horrors they actually are.

Hannibal is a really good show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Hannibal, shouldn't season 2 be starting sometime rather soon?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Season 1 started in April. We still have some time.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It is pretty hilarious though how they can show human beings whose bodies have been horribly dismembered, as long as you can't see any of the bodies' genitals. Because then it'd be inappropriate for children/TV and would cause the end of our society. For me there were only a few scenes that really stood out as gross. Most were just so bizarre and unreal (in a good way) that I was instantly disconnected and didn't actually think about the fact that I just saw a person who had the top half of their head popped back like a Pez dispenser until later. I think the garden was the one that got to me the most, specifically because it wasn't just some gore or blood but pure nightmare fuel.

VDay fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 16, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

Season 1 started in April. We still have some time.

Yeah, but that was mostly because they had no confidence in the show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, but that was mostly because they had no confidence in the show.

They still don't really have confidence in the show. It wasn't much of a performer last year, but NBC gave it its second season because it was a cheap international co-production, a critical jewel in the crown (see: Homicide, Friday Night Lights) and possibly because there were other cable/streaming networks waiting in the wings to pick it up the second NBC dropped it.

My guess? It goes to summer to stay out of the ratings conversation.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DivisionPost posted:

They still don't really have confidence in the show. It wasn't much of a performer last year, but NBC gave it its second season because it was a cheap international co-production, a critical jewel in the crown (see: Homicide, Friday Night Lights) and possibly because there were other cable/streaming networks waiting in the wings to pick it up the second NBC dropped it.

My guess? It goes to summer to stay out of the ratings conversation.

I find it kind of interesting, for as much as it ends up on top 10 lists and the like, that it was completely glossed over for both the Emmys and the GGs. Like if it wasn't for the thread here and people occasionally talking about it on irc/in Couch chat, I'd probably forget it was even a show until it comes back on the air.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

regulargonzalez posted:

Hmmm, then I suggest 24. :getin:

Also seconding/thirding/whatevering that anyone who hasn't already should definitely watch Buffy. The first season isn't that bad but honestly if you're watching it and you're to the point where you're going to quit the show just skip to the last episode of season 1, like someone else suggested earlier, and then go from there. Buffy is far too good a show for people to miss simply because it has a comparatively tepid first season.

VDay posted:

It is pretty hilarious though how they can show human beings whose bodies have been horribly dismembered, as long as you can't see any of the bodies' genitals. Because then it'd be inappropriate for children/TV and would cause the end of our society. For me there were only a few scenes that really stood out as gross. Most were just so bizarre and unreal (in a good way) that I was instantly disconnected and didn't actually think about the fact that I just saw a person who had the top half of their head popped back like a Pez dispenser until later. I think the garden was the one that got to me the most, specifically because it wasn't just some gore or blood but pure nightmare fuel.

Women's nipples are to Americans what bullets are to everyone else.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 16, 2013

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I was never a big fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I enjoyed some of the characters, but overall the show never grabbed me (maybe/probably because I was never a fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar.)

However, I do think it's worth watching through to fully appreciate Angel, which is fantastic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eh, I watched and enjoyed Angel without ever watching Buffy. Mostly because I too don't really like Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
It's going to take me a while to watch more Hannibal because the mushroom garden was...pretty traumatic. In general, traumatic is a good description of Hannibal. It is not a happy show. :smith:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So after hearing how Revolution S2 is actually at least decent television, I picked up where I left off a few episodes into the second half of S1 (after the midseason break) and I think it really picked up (considering they were lurching around for the first ten episodes) and really opened up the larger world.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The Buffy movie is a million times better than the Buffy show.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

scary ghost dog posted:

Are you Irish Joe's fiftieth alt?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

scary ghost dog posted:

What the gently caress? Seek medical attention, I believe you have suffered a traumatic head injury.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

scary ghost dog posted:

I'll back this up, the show ain't got nothing on Paul Reubens' death.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Manos del Sino posted:

I was never a big fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I enjoyed some of the characters, but overall the show never grabbed me (maybe/probably because I was never a fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar.)

However, I do think it's worth watching through to fully appreciate Angel, which is fantastic.

I'll agree with this. You can manage watching Angel without Buffy and just inferring whatever history comes up but to fully appreciate Angel's style and take on this world I think you almost have to watch Buffy's. But I wasn't really a fan either and it went beyond Gellar (although I never really liked her).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The series hasn't aged well. And the character of Buffy herself becomes an almost unwatchably horrible person.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I thought Buffy was okay as a decent way to kill an hour when it was on and I was in college, but I never really saw the appeal in Angel, even when I watched the whole thing when TNT would show it in 2-hour blocks every morning a few years back. Neither one is something I feel like I ever need to revisit. Then again, I don't think Joss Whedon is anywhere near as brilliant of a writer as most of the internet would have you believe.

• Locked thread