Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doodmons posted:

To come up with a vague example, imagine a 6-10 move for the Fighter called Counterattack that reads "When an enemy does damage to you, you may do your class damage to them." which thematically represents you getting a counterattack in. It's a really poo poo move, but bear with me. Let's say that a naked unarmed Fighter with this move is shot from 500 metres away by a bowman. By the rules as written, he may now do his class damage to that bowman. Nevermind that he can't do anything to him, that's what the rules say.

Arguably I'm completely missing the point of Dungeon World, and maybe I am, but I feel like the triggers for moves should be very carefully worded indeed - particularly if you do not want a move to be treated like a magic spell, they should always be triggered by the character doing something in the fiction rather than as a reaction to something happening to them. In most cases, I'd consider a move like the Golem's Immovable Object to be poorly worded simply because the trigger doesn't start with "When you..."

No, you're not missing the point at all. The moves override what would "logically" happen in the fiction when you hit the trigger (because what would "logically" happen varies from person to person, and lovely groggy people will go "it's totally okay for the Wizard to break the laws of physics because ~magic~, but not for other classes").

It is 100% vital that people not gently caress up their triggers when writing a move. 90% of the time I spend writing moves is spent on wording, especially around the trigger, to prevent either ambiguity or illogical stuff like your example move. It's just straight-up a badly-written move.

To reiterate,

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, if it's dark they won't see him. That's the entire point of the move. They'll probably bump into him, so "he's going to bump into you, what do you do?" is fine, but outright ignoring the purpose of the move (making you supernaturally invisible as long as you're in the shadows) is daft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Alright, it's official! :siren:DW Race bundle is up for sale:siren:

The bundle is here:
http://tinyurl.com/dwoldschool

If for some reason you want each one individually (which really only gives the people involved larger tips), here they are:

http://tinyurl.com/dwdwarf
http://tinyurl.com/dwtheelf
http://tinyurl.com/dwhalfling

And of course the earlier links will be up if you want to preview the classes. They're all Creative Commons licensed, as is the artwork used for the covers (thanks to the Prismatic Art Collection and artist Kaitlynn Peavler).

e: Edited to add, the folder link from the readthrough phase earlier will still work. You can still use it, and it is updated.

Rulebook Heavily got owned by being the last post on the page so everyone check out the cool playbooks.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The folder will go down as soon as Lemon Curdistan is tired of hosting it so here are more permanent google doc links:

The Dwarf
The Elf
The Halfling

New Items and Tags introduced by the above

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Doodmons posted:

I forget who it was who originally wrote The Meteor, Lichadore Supreme but I actually got to use him! I had a ridiculous amount of fun and the players loved it, even though the Lantern resolutely stayed out of the fight and the Thief spent more time trying to wrestle the microphone away from the commentator. The strength draining effect made my Golem player very sad, but it did force him to try other things than "just tackle the fucker" - the fact that a) the Golem cannot be moved if he does not want to be and b) if the Golem gets you in a pin, you cannot get out of it meant that the fight was a little more frantic than I'd originally envisioned. There were plenty of uses of Tensor's Floating Disc to get the Meteor off the mat so the 3-count didn't count, a bunch more mook lichadores showing up to call out the rest of the party and cause mayhem, a large pile of furniture and miscellaneous weapons for the rest of the party to throw in the ring, that sort of thing. There was a lovely moment where the party was ganging up on Meteor so he threw the Dragon Mage into the audience. The Dragon Mage activated his wings and flew back in. The commentator was like "I'm not sure if that's legal or not but it was definitely impressive enough that I'm not gonna check the rulebook!"

The Golem managed to pin Meteor for the 3-count in the end, even though he was on 0 strength. Meteor graciously gave him the title belt and said that he had better come back to defend it next year. The belt gives +1 to any attempts to nonlethally pin an opponent because I am bad at thinking up magic items (any better ideas?). In addition, the Golem requested that Meteor teach him his signature move, Cage of Force (a big ol' bear hug). He did, suitably impressed by the Golem. We now have an otherwise emotionless golem who pretty much channels the Meteor in any fight. "CAAAAAAAGE OF FOOOOORRRRCCEE!! is rapidly becoming a catchphrase in my group.

Some comments on some custom playbooks:

The City Thief is way better than the regular thief but I am straight up not a fan of Avoid the Light. It's a very faithful recreation of what happens in Thief but I don't like that it makes the Thief uncatchable without a roll. Particularly that you vanish and become uncatchable once you get more than a couple of feet away from them. I mean, yes, enemies might have darkvision or be carrying a light source, but I feel it's too strong for it's intended purpose.

On a similar note, the Walker is absolutely crazy once you get Spider's Leap. Death from Above is incredibly powerful (an insta knock enemy unconscious move is too powerful without a caveat that it only works on mooks) but once you gain the ability to just do it all the time, every time, the Walker stops using Hack and Slash and just kidnaps and knocks people unconscious all the time. Or, if he doesn't want to do that, it's just a way of making sure every single attack triggers Brutal Strike. Additionally, while Nobody Looks Up is very nice, the Hidden Cities background really needs the "if you're above their line of sight clause" because the way it's written our Walker got to use it in a six-foot tunnel and was invisible to somebody directly in front of him.

The Survivor needs a rethink because Survive and Dead Man Walking has a high chance of making you indestructible, as far as I can tell. Get into combat, take arbitrarily high amounts of damage - let's say hundreds - which you soak as Pain. Combat finishes, you brace for the wave of pain to hit, get 7-9 on Survive and take a debility. Like, I get that not dying is the survivor's gimmick but the way those two moves pan out they might as well read "Become invincible for 6 combats without healing"

For the Golem, we had the slightly unusual experience that it seems like Immovable Object actually means that the Golem has a magic intertial dampener. I am not sure if this is intentional or whether Immovable Object is supposed to represent the Golem planting his feet and refusing to budge, but basically I feel that when a giant tentacle monster wraps a tentacle round your waist and lifts you, Immovable Object shouldn't happen. I feel like the trigger should read something like "When you plant your feet and brace against an incoming attack" rather than simply when an enemy tries to move you.

Don't get me wrong, I love these playbooks, but there's these slight oddities in wording here and there that I'm not sure are intentional. There's nothing that won't be fixed with a sanity clause or a rewording and (with the possible exception of Spider's Leap and Dead Man Walking) these are all really cool moves.

Where were you four months ago? I've finalized all those classes for release :(

I wrote the Meteor, Lantern, Survivor, Walker, Dragon Mage, and Golem, so this session was almost entirely stuff I wrote, which is neat! But. Argh. Arrrrrgh you have really good criticisms here.

Doodmons posted:

Meteor graciously gave him the title belt and said that he had better come back to defend it next year. The belt gives +1 to any attempts to nonlethally pin an opponent because I am bad at thinking up magic items (any better ideas?).

In my game where I ran him, I had the belt be the championship belt of the Undead Wrestling Federation. The belt came with a skeleton coach who would back up whoever wore it, but only with words of encouragement: "You can do it, champ," "Go for his left side, his stance is weaker there," that kind of thing. The belt also refused to be worn by a living person, but not by letting them not wear it - after a month, the wearer died and came back to life as a zombie. Your golem should be fine, though, since golems aren't living anyway.

quote:

On a similar note, the Walker is absolutely crazy once you get Spider's Leap. Death from Above is incredibly powerful (an insta knock enemy unconscious move is too powerful without a caveat that it only works on mooks) but once you gain the ability to just do it all the time, every time, the Walker stops using Hack and Slash and just kidnaps and knocks people unconscious all the time. Or, if he doesn't want to do that, it's just a way of making sure every single attack triggers Brutal Strike.

This is a very good point, I should absolutely add that Dropping In and Checking Out can only work on unimportant people. Spider's Leap is sort of meant to let you finally use Death from Above constantly, but combined with that move I can see how it gets absurd fast. That said, kidnapping people doesn't stop them from struggling against you or anything.

quote:

Additionally, while Nobody Looks Up is very nice, the Hidden Cities background really needs the "if you're above their line of sight clause" because the way it's written our Walker got to use it in a six-foot tunnel and was invisible to somebody directly in front of him.

On the one hand, that's the whole point of that background. On the other hand, adding "Someone directly watching the ceiling always has a chance to see you" to both moves would probably be a good idea.

quote:

The Survivor needs a rethink because Survive and Dead Man Walking has a high chance of making you indestructible, as far as I can tell. Get into combat, take arbitrarily high amounts of damage - let's say hundreds - which you soak as Pain. Combat finishes, you brace for the wave of pain to hit, get 7-9 on Survive and take a debility. Like, I get that not dying is the survivor's gimmick but the way those two moves pan out they might as well read "Become invincible for 6 combats without healing"

I swear I had a clause for Dead Man Walking that you cannot Survive damage from Pain but no, no I do not. The idea is you would have to use Survive when taking the individual blows that give you Pain in the first place, not to Survive the final amount of Pain you receive. I hosed up.

quote:

For the Golem, we had the slightly unusual experience that it seems like Immovable Object actually means that the Golem has a magic intertial dampener. I am not sure if this is intentional or whether Immovable Object is supposed to represent the Golem planting his feet and refusing to budge, but basically I feel that when a giant tentacle monster wraps a tentacle round your waist and lifts you, Immovable Object shouldn't happen. I feel like the trigger should read something like "When you plant your feet and brace against an incoming attack" rather than simply when an enemy tries to move you.

I want it to be known, literally no one in playtesting ever once picked Immovable Object so I never got to see it in practice. That's the kind of thing a little playtesting would catch, like it did with the trigger on Survive. "When you plant your feet before someone tries to move you" would be a better trigger. Which, if the Golem did, would mean he could lift the tentacle monster by one tentacle and toss it aside, which is pretty awesome and is intended.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 15, 2013

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, if it's dark they won't see him. That's the entire point of the move. They'll probably bump into him, so "he's going to bump into you, what do you do?" is fine, but outright ignoring the purpose of the move (making you supernaturally invisible as long as you're in the shadows) is daft.

I missed the part where he was talking about the background and thought it was just being on the ceiling.

The point I was trying to make is that moves just don't trigger if the fiction doesn't allow it and any time there's a question like that it's probably best for everyone to revisit the fiction to clear up any misconceptions.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Speaking of which, how's your Barrier Peaks conversion going, Evil Mastermind? :v:

I am terrible at working on projects. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I am terrible at working on projects. :(

Please get better at working on that project because I really want to play it.

e; vv yes. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 15, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Please get better at working on that project because I really want to play it.

Man, I can't even get my monsters & compendium classes thing done, and you want me to write a whole module?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Doodmons posted:

To come up with a vague example, imagine a 6-10 move for the Fighter called Counterattack that reads "When an enemy does damage to you, you may do your class damage to them." which thematically represents you getting a counterattack in. It's a really poo poo move, but bear with me. Let's say that a naked unarmed Fighter with this move is shot from 500 metres away by a bowman. By the rules as written, he may now do his class damage to that bowman. Nevermind that he can't do anything to him, that's what the rules say.

Can't do anything to him? That bowman just gave you an arrow, throw that poo poo back at him. Honestly that power is bad because it's really boring, also since enemies most often do damage as a result of Hack&Slash you more or less just doubled a fighter's class damage.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Well I've produced the first material for Dungeon World which is wholly my own - a background class - and here it is: The Serpentine! I still need flavour for Cold Blooded and I'm not quite sure what I want Snaketongue to do - you can track things by smell? You can speak reptile? One of those. I'm also considering a move which removes your colour vision and gives you heat-sensing pits around your nose.

Comments are very much appreciated!

Edit: The other Pirate World backgrounds don't really have an 'Advancement Move' - all they say is that you gain your background moves "as appropriate" - but I think you could implement them without constraining the fiction. You could even get rid of XP altogether and have Advancement Moves for playbooks! Something like this: "The Fighter: When you triumph over a hated foe in single combat, level up." You could even have Advancement Moves for individual moves if you really wanted, but that would be a bit fiddly. Basically you'd just take Drive-Alignment moves and tweak them so they happen less often. Some examples:

• "When everyone's relying on you to succeed, level up."
• "When you con everyone and get away scot-free, level up."
• "When you bargain away another piece of your soul, level up."
• "When you bring peace and prosperity to a community, level up."

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 16, 2013

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

Edit: The other Pirate World backgrounds don't really have an 'Advancement Move' - all they say is that you gain your background moves "as appropriate" - but I think you could implement them without constraining the fiction. You could even get rid of XP altogether and have Advancement Moves for playbooks! Something like this: "The Fighter: When you triumph over a hated foe in single combat, level up." You could even have Advancement Moves for individual moves if you really wanted, but that would be a bit fiddly. Basically you'd just take Drive-Alignment moves and tweak them so they happen less often. Some examples:

That does sound cool! As an aside, though, you'd need to figure out an alternate way to handle the Miss Xp, since that's a pretty drat nice thing to have. Takes a lot of sting out of a chain of 3s and 4s when it puts you an entire level above the rest of the party.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My race playbooks now outrank Dungeon World in the "hottest small press" category on drivethru and all have five-star reviews. You are all fantastic.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Bigup DJ posted:

Rogue Trader Apocalypse has an advancement mechanic similar to this where every playbook has their Keys which when fulfilled, everyone gets xp and you get +1 forward. At the end of the session you erase any checked off keys and write new ones. It's 5 xp to level up.
Examples:

Arch-Militant:
- Defeat a mighty adversary
- Fight alongside a new ally
- Celebrate a glorious victory
- Wield a new, dangerous weapon
- Stand strong in defense of another.

Archivist:
- Explore a forgotten tomb-world
- Capture an exotic specimen alive
- Acquire an ancient relic
- Take action against a thief
- Prevent something valuable from being destroyed

It's a nice system. I'm thinking of doing something similar for my PBtA hack.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The folder will go down as soon as Lemon Curdistan is tired of hosting it so here are more permanent google doc links:

The Dwarf
The Elf
The Halfling

New Items and Tags introduced by the above

I can totally see these as background classes, with maybe a simple tree structure to orient the moves around. At the end of a session, if you found a notable treasure (Dwarf), defeated a powerful enemy (Elf), or learned something new about the world (Halfling), take another move, either in your existing tree or opening a new one. ...what the trees should be is going to take a little more work and I'd appreciate feedback there.

The human background class works a little differently, though.

Human (Arcana)

Humans always seem to be favored by fate in some small way, don't they? When you create a human character, pick one of the Arcana moves. Whenever fate hands you a crushing defeat (you roll snake eyes) or a miraculous victory (you roll boxcars), you can take another Arcana move when you next Make Camp or at the end of the session. Only one, even if fate's tossed you around multiple times.

Some Arcana moves can be taken multiple times; the benefits are listed in the move description.

When you have spells from Arcana moves, but no spellcasting class, you may prepare a number of spell levels equal to your current level + 1 whenever you have a few minutes of time and safety to spend in contemplation. When you unleash a spell you have prepared in this way, roll +CHA: on a hit, the spell is cast successfully. On a 7-9, pick one: you lose the prepared spell, you draw attention to yourself or put yourself in a spot, or feedback disrupts your focus (-1 ongoing to spellcasting rolls until you prepare spells again).

Fool: For your daily bread, you rely on fate, and that often works out for you (maybe because you make your own luck). When you're in a dungeon or a city, you don't need to consume a ration to Make Camp. (When you take this move again, you find +1 use of adventuring gear when you Make Camp in a dungeon or city.)

Magician: If you cannot cast Wizard spells, add one spell from the Wizard's spell list to your repertoire. (When you take this move again, you can replace the spell with another one.)

High Priestess: You have a narrow but reliable link to the gods. There is one simple question of five words or less that you will always get a truthful answer to when you pray for guidance, even for a moment. Work out with the DM what it is. (When you take this move again, you can pick another question, subject to DM approval.)

Empress: Something about you commands respect. When you enter a civilized settlement there will be someone willing to offer you hospitality. The DM may ask you why they're doing this. Answer them truthfully, now.

Emperor: Through careful practice and a little natural ability, you have mastered the tricks of your particular trade. Tell the DM what your profession is; you take +1 when Spouting Lore or Discerning Realities related to it. (When you take this move again, you can pick an additional profession you've acquired a knack for.)

Hierophant: If you cannot cast Cleric spells, add one spell from the Cleric's spell list to your repertoire. (When you take this move again, you can replace the spell with another one.)

Lovers: The human world is built on the lives of countless ordinary humans, striving quietly in their small ways. You are considered to have visited any human settlement of less than twenty humans and carefully observed them and their domesticated animals, even if you've never actually done so.

Chariot: Once per fight you may reroll any one damage roll and keep the result you like. (When you take this move again, get +1 use of it per fight.)

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Doodmons posted:

Rogue Trader Apocalypse has an advancement mechanic similar to this where every playbook has their Keys which when fulfilled, everyone gets xp and you get +1 forward. At the end of the session you erase any checked off keys and write new ones. It's 5 xp to level up.
Examples:

Arch-Militant:

Archivist:

This is really really cool and I like it even better than my idea! It's like having a bunch of drives at once! I might come up with a bunch for playbooks, backgrounds and so on - if each of the Pirate World backgrounds came with a bunch of these, that would be great. I might do some for the Serpentine!

I remember hearing someone wanted non-PbP actual plays so here's the logs from a session I ran on IRC today. It was great fun!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Doodmons posted:

Examples:

Arch-Militant:

Archivist:

Keys own and I'm surprised I didn't think about using them in PBtA games before.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Podcast is up! I was on Retsutalk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX1c-YULHEA

There's also a download link for the mp3 on that page.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012

Doodmons posted:

Examples:

I read somewhere (maybe here) that the WarHammer system has a cool player versus player conflict chart, any ideas what that is?

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
So I am going to be running a semi-regular *World game, in a Dungeon of the Week format, set in Nehwon (Fritz Leiber and Harry Otto Fischer's setting where the adventures of Fafhard and the Grey Mouser take place). Does anyone know any good Nehwon resources? Adding in dungeons is super easy, but I wonder if Nehwon every had an RPG book published for it with campaign setting ideas and information.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Laphroaig posted:

So I am going to be running a semi-regular *World game, in a Dungeon of the Week format, set in Nehwon (Fritz Leiber and Harry Otto Fischer's setting where the adventures of Fafhard and the Grey Mouser take place). Does anyone know any good Nehwon resources? Adding in dungeons is super easy, but I wonder if Nehwon every had an RPG book published for it with campaign setting ideas and information.

There are a few published Lankhmar RPG books that you could probably mine for stuff:
Lankhmar City of Adventure (AD&D 2e)
Lankhmar: The New Adventures of Fafhrd and Gray Mouser (AD&D 2e)
Lankhmar (Runequest)
Newhon (Runequest)

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Ran a game last night which included the phrase "You are falling from several miles above the surface. What appears to be a biblical archangel is wheeling around for another attack run on you. What do you do?"

Dungeon World rules, y'all.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Androc posted:

What appears to be a biblical archangel is wheeling around for another attack run on you.

That angel had better have been a Throne:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Podcast is up! I was on Retsutalk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX1c-YULHEA

There's also a download link for the mp3 on that page.

Only about 5:30 into this and I already love this episode. :) I kinda want to play this myself, now.

So, that brings me to my question...if I want to try this game, do I just jump into a game in PBP? Since this game is apparently heavy on the roleplay, do I have to write in narrative or can it be more conversational?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Go read some ongoing games in The Game Room to get a feel for how it goes! There's plenty of Dungeon World games active there.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

That angel had better have been a Throne:

Nah, one of these guys:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
PBP games are way too slow-paced for me, because there's a ton of back and forth in Dungeon World, and a forum with a bunch of people with different schedules doesn't really work for that imo.

I'd frankly go straight to doing an audio game somehow, or at least a chat room or something.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Go read some ongoing games in The Game Room to get a feel for how it goes! There's plenty of Dungeon World games active there.

Which thread?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Any of them with the words Dungeon and World in the title.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Nf3 posted:

Which thread?

There've been no new DW games for a while, but is this what you are looking for? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416745&pagenumber=1

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012

Ich posted:

There've been no new DW games for a while, but is this what you are looking for? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416745&pagenumber=1

Doesn't seem like it because the entire last page is only play by post, which doesn't fit the back and forth flow of Dungeon World. It seems thats all people want to play in there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

PBP games are way too slow-paced for me, because there's a ton of back and forth in Dungeon World, and a forum with a bunch of people with different schedules doesn't really work for that imo.

I'd frankly go straight to doing an audio game somehow, or at least a chat room or something.

I actually kind of agree. The great thing about TRPGs is that they're very dynamic and lend themselves well to a party. If it's not Skype or IRC it comes off as kinda boring. :(

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Nf3 posted:

Doesn't seem like it because the entire last page is only play by post, which doesn't fit the back and forth flow of Dungeon World. It seems thats all people want to play in there.

It's true; PbP isn't for everyone. In that case, the G+ community Dungeon World Tavern is a great place to find games in Google Hangouts.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Ich posted:

It's true; PbP isn't for everyone. In that case, the G+ community Dungeon World Tavern is a great place to find games in Google Hangouts.

The g+ community is a great place to go for a pickup hangouts or roll20 game. Just have a look for a post organising a game, or start your own.

The benefit of dungeon world is that startup is pretty quick and you can get a nice little "taster" first session or one-shot in 3 or less hours.

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.
So I got to play Time Wizard in a recent game, and this is the trip report.

First off, this class is rad as hell. You get to do things that basically wouldn't be possible with any class, in any game, ever. Give Me a Moment is wild, and set up some bizarre Matrix/Looney Toons antics. Eternal Witness really bangs home the "timeless wanderer" feel of the class.

I think that the main problem with the class is repeated use of its abilities. Multiple instances of Tick Tock's Rewind option might be the most obnoxious thing for a GM to have to deal with. After rewinding an important discussion twice, and revealing that Aging Backward let me do it basically infinitely, and that Time Twist existed, we had to make a truce. Messing with time "strained" it, and it needed to either be allowed to readjust naturally over a few moments, or sped up to maintain equilibrium. I'm not sure if the class should explain anything like that

OK, onto the moves themselves.

Tick Tock
The mechanic for this is really fun to use. I used two Othello pieces to represent the Tick and Tock and flipping over a piece to wait through something boring or rewind something that didn't go quite right felt deeply and immediately satisfying. Once the GM is on board with how this move works narratively, a lot of cool things start happening with your partial successes.
We had some difficulty figuring out how Fast Forward worked fictionally. Does time pass normally and the party is just safe while it happens, does whatever you're waiting for just happen instantly, or can you be ambushed mid-timeskip? Each option is cool but we weren't quite sure how to make use of it. I also got "stuck" at two Tick for an extended period of time with no good in-character way to get back to 1 and 1. Sure I could just skip around for no reason, but it just seemed weird not to be able to reset myself. Being able to returning to 1 and 1 after a short rest before taking Stop the Clock would be pretty cool, since Stop the Clock is already really interesting as-is.

Give Me A Moment
I love this move but it's so powerful and rolling twice slows down the game so noticeably that I was almost afraid to use it. The 10+ result can also probably be duplicated by immediately stopping time with Give Me A Moment, then Time Skipping, so it almost feels unnecessary. On the other hand, this is the coolest defensive replacement move I've seen yet and as a player I don't want to see it get messed with too much. :ohdear: (Give Me A Moment, walk five feet to the left, line up for your shot, restore normal timeflow to Hack and Slash with a massive golf swing)

Eternal Witness
"The GM will tell you one thing that hasn't changed" is the perfect rider for this move, and it sets you up as a mysterious force that has seen literally everything. I love this.

Perfect Timing
Its a little hard to figure out fictionally when "just the right moment" is, but other than that this is pretty useful. It sets you up for being the perfect teammate, always exactly where everyone wants you every single time.

Unfortunately I haven't levelled yet because Give Me A Moment kept hitting home runs for me, but that's basically just a matter of time.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

EscortMission posted:

So I got to play Time Wizard in a recent game, and this is the trip report.

First off, this class is rad as hell. You get to do things that basically wouldn't be possible with any class, in any game, ever. Give Me a Moment is wild, and set up some bizarre Matrix/Looney Toons antics. Eternal Witness really bangs home the "timeless wanderer" feel of the class.

I think that the main problem with the class is repeated use of its abilities. Multiple instances of Tick Tock's Rewind option might be the most obnoxious thing for a GM to have to deal with. After rewinding an important discussion twice, and revealing that Aging Backward let me do it basically infinitely, and that Time Twist existed, we had to make a truce. Messing with time "strained" it, and it needed to either be allowed to readjust naturally over a few moments, or sped up to maintain equilibrium. I'm not sure if the class should explain anything like that

OK, onto the moves themselves.

Tick Tock
The mechanic for this is really fun to use. I used two Othello pieces to represent the Tick and Tock and flipping over a piece to wait through something boring or rewind something that didn't go quite right felt deeply and immediately satisfying. Once the GM is on board with how this move works narratively, a lot of cool things start happening with your partial successes.
We had some difficulty figuring out how Fast Forward worked fictionally. Does time pass normally and the party is just safe while it happens, does whatever you're waiting for just happen instantly, or can you be ambushed mid-timeskip? Each option is cool but we weren't quite sure how to make use of it. I also got "stuck" at two Tick for an extended period of time with no good in-character way to get back to 1 and 1. Sure I could just skip around for no reason, but it just seemed weird not to be able to reset myself. Being able to returning to 1 and 1 after a short rest before taking Stop the Clock would be pretty cool, since Stop the Clock is already really interesting as-is.

Give Me A Moment
I love this move but it's so powerful and rolling twice slows down the game so noticeably that I was almost afraid to use it. The 10+ result can also probably be duplicated by immediately stopping time with Give Me A Moment, then Time Skipping, so it almost feels unnecessary. On the other hand, this is the coolest defensive replacement move I've seen yet and as a player I don't want to see it get messed with too much. :ohdear: (Give Me A Moment, walk five feet to the left, line up for your shot, restore normal timeflow to Hack and Slash with a massive golf swing)

Eternal Witness
"The GM will tell you one thing that hasn't changed" is the perfect rider for this move, and it sets you up as a mysterious force that has seen literally everything. I love this.

Perfect Timing
Its a little hard to figure out fictionally when "just the right moment" is, but other than that this is pretty useful. It sets you up for being the perfect teammate, always exactly where everyone wants you every single time.

Unfortunately I haven't levelled yet because Give Me A Moment kept hitting home runs for me, but that's basically just a matter of time.

Thanks for the feedback! I got Ideas while reading this.

I was going to go through every thing and post responses but I think it'd be faster to just make edits and ask what you think about them. So.

Clock Mage revised preview.

And just for you, it's the full version! Because I am working on art now and will release it shortly. That link is getting replaced with an updated preview version once I get it set up on DTRPG.

Full version here!

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 21, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Looks fantastic. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but I'll thrust it at a player the first chance I get.

One thing I noticed: it's a bit weird that you can spend Tick to Time Skip and move to anywhere within Near range, or you can do the opposite and spend Tock to Give Me A Moment and... move to anywhere within Reach range. Isn't that the same thing? You're either slowing down the world or speeding yourself up, but that's all relative, right?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Boing posted:

Looks fantastic. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but I'll thrust it at a player the first chance I get.

One thing I noticed: it's a bit weird that you can spend Tick to Time Skip and move to anywhere within Near range, or you can do the opposite and spend Tock to Give Me A Moment and... move to anywhere within Reach range. Isn't that the same thing? You're either slowing down the world or speeding yourself up, but that's all relative, right?

Yes. It is basically the same thing. Time is wishy washy and relative.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Gnome! I think either you missed my question or I missed your answer.

On the Dragon Mage, if you roll 6- to drip your blood on someone, are they supposed to be suffering your Dragon's Desire same as if you rolled a 7-9? It seems weird that they don't, although conceivably the lost hit point is punishment enough.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ferrinus posted:

Gnome! I think either you missed my question or I missed your answer.

On the Dragon Mage, if you roll 6- to drip your blood on someone, are they supposed to be suffering your Dragon's Desire same as if you rolled a 7-9? It seems weird that they don't, although conceivably the lost hit point is punishment enough.

I saw that and I did not reply, but I did do something about it!

Dragon's Gift posted:

When you grant the power of dragons to another by spilling your blood upon them,
take 1 damage (ignoring armor) and roll +STR. On a 10+, they hold 2-Blaze. On a 7-9, they hold 1-Blaze, but they are overcome with your dragon's desire. If they do not give in to this desire before spending all of their held Blaze, they take 1d6 damage, ignoring armor, as the blood burns them. On a 6-, they hold 1-Blaze anyway, but they are overcome with your Dragon's Desire and take -1 ongoing until they fulfill it. If they spend their point of Blaze before fulfilling this desire, they are no longer overcome with desire, but the transformation has side effects - the GM will tell you what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Glazius posted:

I can totally see these as background classes, with maybe a simple tree structure to orient the moves around. At the end of a session, if you found a notable treasure (Dwarf), defeated a powerful enemy (Elf), or learned something new about the world (Halfling), take another move, either in your existing tree or opening a new one. ...what the trees should be is going to take a little more work and I'd appreciate feedback there.

I haven't really gotten into background class design but I'd love to see what takes people have on this.