Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Tomn posted:

So I just saw the trailer for Warlock 2. Between that and Leviathan Warships, I'm starting to wonder - does Paradox's advertising strategy currently consist of "Try to make the audience laugh and hope it all works out"?

Can't say I disapprove, exactly. Beats the hell out of some ad strategies I've seen in the past.

Considering how much their games tend to be targeted towards a bit of a niche and how difficult it would be to make an exciting trailer for games that are largely focused on looking at maps for extended periods of time, I think it's pretty fair for Paradox to go for a laugh. The trailer for The Old Gods was pretty good in that respect; the combination of the maps, the metal and "BEARD" was pretty excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Bishop Rodan posted:

I'm still waiting for Dinosaur Universalis. :colbert:

Make it happen, Paradox! We need this!

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.
Wiz is todays profile in the pds advent calendar..

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?741491-Paradox-Development-Studio-Advent-Calendar-15-Wiz

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I knew it, every game of CK2 is actually a multiplayer game against Wiz.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

NihilCredo posted:

I'm sorry, but is there any reason at all to suppose that the Holiday Countdown is to a PDS-developed title? The page only has a Paradox Interactive logo, so I would suppose it's just a PI-published game, which could be literally anything.

(Seriously, Paradox, start using different names for the publisher and developer.)

Na there's pds logos on some of the teasers plus they have been talking about a secret project for a few months now

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Just announce a Dark Ages game goddamn you :negative:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Wiz and I have the same favorite game :hfive:

Raserys posted:

Just announce a Dark Ages game goddamn you :negative:

Also this. I'm not going to be happy until I can take glorious Rome/Byzantium/Sjrbja through all 2500 years of history.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
The secret project is clearly Crusader Hearts of Europa Victorisalis 5 :colbert:.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The secret project is clearly Crusader Hearts of Europa Victorisalis 5 :colbert:.

Even in the fake cumulative game, Rome gets no love :negative:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Victoria... vs the Space Mutants

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I believe you mean Steppe Wolfe.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Patter Song posted:

gently caress, Paradox already funded Magna Mundi and East vs West, might as well turn the best mod of all time into a game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

He truly is a goon, look at that mugshot picture.

june_chilling
Jun 27, 2013

Squinting off in the distance with that cap on really shows his experience on the Eastern Front.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'll never be able to picture him as anything but his forums picture here. That's obviously an impostor.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

On the plus side that mugshot will double as a great historical leader for East vs West.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

SeaTard posted:

He truly is a goon, look at that mugshot picture.

He's not wearing a fedora though?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
So I've noticed that in Darkest Hour, all combat brigades (so not AA, Eng etc.) give some reduction to the vulnerability of their divisions. Except for Tank Destroyers.
Is there some kind of historical reason for that? Doesn't that make them kinda useless, esp. compared to SP-Art?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fister Roboto posted:

I'll never be able to picture him as anything but his forums picture here. That's obviously an impostor.

Wiz literally looks like a wizard and nothing will convince me otherwise

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Littlefinger posted:

So I've noticed that in Darkest Hour, all combat brigades (so not AA, Eng etc.) give some reduction to the vulnerability of their divisions. Except for Tank Destroyers.
Is there some kind of historical reason for that? Doesn't that make them kinda useless, esp. compared to SP-Art?

If that's DH Full I'm presuming it's intentional. I've always felt there are too many drat brigades in the game- so much stuff to research and so much of it is only useful in specialized circumstances and is mutually exclusive with versatile stuff like medium armor, but everybody researched and built them in real life. I'd kind of prefer Hearts of Iron III's system where technology boost units directly, so you don't have to build tank destroyer brigades to take advantage of them.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

I'm imagining that the Steppe Wolfe dev diaries would just be nigh-incomprehensible rantings of someone trying to figure out why everyone just declared war on Estonia or something.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Cantorsdust posted:

Wiz and I have the same favorite game :hfive:

Me and you have the same favorite game :hfive:

Wiz remember your roots, you can tell us about the new project, we won't share!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Speaking of Jan Mayen, wasn't someone working on a V2 Jan Mayen LP? Or is that merely the desperate projections of my hopes and dreams?

Septic Arthritis
Mar 15, 2010

To the best senator

Mister Adequate posted:

Me and you have the same favorite game :hfive:

Me and you and the other guy and Wiz are all objectively correct about what is the best game!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Septic Arthritis posted:

Me and you and the other guy and Wiz are all objectively correct about what is the best game!

Indeed we are!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wiz was giving us a clue all along, guys. The next Paradox project is Tamriel Universalis

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wiz was giving us a clue all along, guys. The next Paradox project is Tamriel Universalis

Hearts of Lorkhan II.

Also in retrospect, I should have said Oblivion just for the reaction.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 16, 2013

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

We'll always have Elder Kings :v:

I'm holding out for Rome 2, with all of CK2's character driven goodness. That would, indeed, be amazing.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wiz posted:

Hearts of Lorkhan II.

Also in retrospect, I should have said Oblivion just for the reaction.

Hey man, fully patched Oblivion with mods can be as, or more fun than Morrowind with mods at times :parrot:.

(although granted, even if you accept that the mods make it better than/as good as Morrowind, Morrowind's mods are just there to enhance the game while the mods Oblivion needs toss gameplay mechanics like enemies scaling and making oblivion gates less obnoxious)

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

DrProsek posted:

Hey man, fully patched Oblivion with mods can be as, or more fun than Morrowind with mods at times :parrot:.

(although granted, even if you accept that the mods make it better than/as good as Morrowind, Morrowind's mods are just there to enhance the game while the mods Oblivion needs toss gameplay mechanics like enemies scaling and making oblivion gates less obnoxious)

You sound as though punishing the player for levelling up is not a good mechanic in an RPG. :colbert:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That most recent picture on the holiday countdown tumblr certainly looks...spacey.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wiz posted:

You sound as though punishing the player for levelling up is not a good mechanic in an RPG. :colbert:

About that Wiz, why is it in CK2 kingdoms are better than duchies and have gameplay mechanics that benefit them? To keep the challenge up, founding a kingdom should instantly give a 50k man retinue to every realm you border. Please implement tia.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Europa Universalis IV needs a bureaucracy mechanic. The larger and more successful your empire is, the more entangled the bureaucracy becomes. With each successful war you will need to draft a series of lengthy laws detailing the administration and incorporation of your new territory. Eventually all of your time becomes consumed with establishing tax codes and making administrative appointments, but you will ultimately never be able to do enough to stem the eventual slow decline of your realm.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 16, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Europa Universalis IV needs a bureaucracy mechanic. The larger and more successful your empire is, the more entangled the bureaucracy becomes. With each successful war you will need to draft a series of lengthy laws detailing the administration and incorporation of your new territory. Eventually all of your time becomes consumed with establishing tax codes and making administrative appointments, but you will ultimately never be able to do enough to stem the eventual slow decline of your realm.

Would unironically love this, having the Senate cockblock you in EU:Rome was fun if you didn't get stuck in a "can't declare war ever" death spiral.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
That last picture reminds me of SPAZ.

Paradox, are you publishing SPAZ 2?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Someone remind me: did Paradox end up with the Game of Thrones game rights?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Well Tell Tale got the rights to make games from the tv license. If theres others out there its a mystery to me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

"Bureaucracy Simulator 2014" seems like it might actually be kind of fun, but simultaneously the most grognardy game ever.

This does look very spacey, and a bit different from the shots posted earlier.

The other shots looked more like game concept art. Looking at the pixelyness on the debris in the bottom right, I'd be leaning towards this being an ingame screenshot.

... maybe a space RTS? :v:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
All I can see is a robot with the most :downs: face at the middle bottom.

Robots in space, maybe? :neckbeard: (I know it's not actually a robot. But I can't unsee it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DrSunshine posted:

... maybe a space RTS? :v:

Europa Universalis!

• Locked thread