Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Actually working in a shipyard tends to be pretty awful. Especially if you're military because the civilians will take 'sick days' every holiday or whenever there's ugly work to do.

I got made shipyard 'advance crew' which involved a few days of cleaning up the barge and arranging some offices, then loving off for weeks while the boat was still at sea, that was the best deal the Navy ever gave me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
Shipyard sounds badass before you're in it. After the honeymoon phase (dead electric) it becomes the worst, most toxic environment imaginable and people prayed to go underway.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Snowdens Secret posted:

Actually working in a shipyard tends to be pretty awful. Especially if you're military because the civilians will take 'sick days' every holiday or whenever there's ugly work to do.

I got made shipyard 'advance crew' which involved a few days of cleaning up the barge and arranging some offices, then loving off for weeks while the boat was still at sea, that was the best deal the Navy ever gave me

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

SpaceJustice posted:

Shipyard sounds badass before you're in it. After the honeymoon phase (dead electric) it becomes the worst, most toxic environment imaginable and people prayed to go underway.

QFT; by year 2 of our shipyard, we had the base Chaplain move his office to our sub. During our worst week, we had 6 people tap and go code blue.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
one of my friends blew his brains out and the command didnt even acknowledge it happened. we'd been on 16 hour days for about 6 months at that point

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Gotta love shipyard. We were on port and starboard shiftwork for 2 months because certain retests failed; one of our MMs fell asleep on his motorcycle going home, and all the sailors at the funeral were asleep in the pews. Fitting memorial.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Any of you guys have to report to a ship that is underway? What should I bring? Just curious how this is going to go.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Carrier or sub?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I hope it's not a sub...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O33FK3xWFRU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
For a sub, you're going to report to your home base and check in with squadron. They're going to have you dick off and waste time either until the boat comes back or (generally only for deployments) it pulls in somewhere you can meet it. Assuming you're a nub, you're going to want to pack light because you're pretty much guaranteed to be jumping into the worst possible hot-rack situation (and probably cranking.) If you need more detail, I can give more, may want to ask in the big Navy thread for more input.

For a carrier it's probably pretty similar but they have more opportunities for you to meet them, and berthing will be a little more accommodating. On the other hand they're probably more stupid about having a proper seabag.

When you check into squadron (or whatever the carrier equivalent office is) see if there's someone saltier that's left in from the same ship - they usually can give you good advice.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

well his sub was welded to the pier while underway

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

For a sub, you're going to report to your home base and check in with squadron. They're going to have you dick off and waste time either until the boat comes back or (generally only for deployments) it pulls in somewhere you can meet it. Assuming you're a nub, you're going to want to pack light because you're pretty much guaranteed to be jumping into the worst possible hot-rack situation (and probably cranking.) If you need more detail, I can give more, may want to ask in the big Navy thread for more input.

For a carrier it's probably pretty similar but they have more opportunities for you to meet them, and berthing will be a little more accommodating. On the other hand they're probably more stupid about having a proper seabag.

When you check into squadron (or whatever the carrier equivalent office is) see if there's someone saltier that's left in from the same ship - they usually can give you good advice.

idk how it was back in your day but cranks and cooks get their own racks(so basically enjoy the torpedo room heh)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Cooks got their own racks (often in the torpedo room.) I think in really crowded times they put some cranks hotracking in a single bunk port and starboard.

Stowage-wise the torpedo room isn't necessarily much more than hot-racking, you get the whole rack pan, but you don't get any overhead storage etc and you're far more likely to get robbed. Plus you (theoretically) get racked out every time they do weapons handling, which isn't that often but still sucks.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

Cooks got their own racks (often in the torpedo room.) I think in really crowded times they put some cranks hotracking in a single bunk port and starboard.

Stowage-wise the torpedo room isn't necessarily much more than hot-racking, you get the whole rack pan, but you don't get any overhead storage etc and you're far more likely to get robbed. Plus you (theoretically) get racked out every time they do weapons handling, which isn't that often but still sucks.

uhhhhhh

water slugs beg to differ

700 psi air is not quiet

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

genderstomper58 posted:

uhhhhhh

water slugs beg to differ

700 psi air is not quiet

Huh? Water slugs aren't weapons handling. I mean moving poo poo in the stows. They're supposed to throw everyone out so no one gets a hand caught in a hydraulic ram or something. When I lived down there they missed me one day, and I woke up in a different stow than I went to sleep in, and they were all pissed that I slept through it.

Never minded the sound of water slugs, to be honest.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

Huh? Water slugs aren't weapons handling. I mean moving poo poo in the stows. They're supposed to throw everyone out so no one gets a hand caught in a hydraulic ram or something. When I lived down there they missed me one day, and I woke up in a different stow than I went to sleep in, and they were all pissed that I slept through it.

Never minded the sound of water slugs, to be honest.

theres no loving god drat way you weren't annoyed by them venting air after water slugs its loving deafening!!!!

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Carrier or sub?

Carrier. I am going to the Bush!

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 14, 2013

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You'll still check in somewhere. From there they'll either fly you to a port or fly you to the ship. You'll have your own rack and a locker at a minimum (that's what you'd have on a small boy) and maybe even more. There's someone that should be contacting you as a sponsor of somesort. Either way, you want to take pretty much your whole seabag if you don't know how long the deployment will be. You could need your whites at some point.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Also depends how strict the chain is. I'm on the Vinson and I've only worn dress uniforms twice in my 18 months, and nobody has ever asked to make sure I have my full seabag. Also, since you're surface, bring a Kindle or Vita or laptop with you, or all the above, cause even though you will be busy qualifying, Sunday is holiday routine and you need something to do when not on watch.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Question, how long did it take most of you guys to qualify a watchstation. I am trying to figure out how abnormal this precom is (I have been here for half a year and I am about to qualify bnuke, and I'm not qualified any watch (but that is impossible soo)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ryand-Smith posted:

Question, how long did it take most of you guys to qualify a watchstation. I am trying to figure out how abnormal this precom is (I have been here for half a year and I am about to qualify bnuke, and I'm not qualified any watch (but that is impossible soo)

depends on the watch-bill typically. If you're needed, you might qualify in under a week, maybe even a few days. I think typically for subs it was like 2 weeks for your first steaming watch station, then a month, then three months and a year or something like that. Those are the required timelines for plotting progress however, and not necessarily indicative of what actually would happen. All this poo poo can be found in your references on-board provided surface ships train the same way. Everything about your program is written somewhere and kept within your publications, you stupid nub bitch.

The big thing about qualifying is making sure you're doing it at a rate that your command and in particular your division appreciate you loving stupid dink nub bitch. Who cares what anyone else is doing? get hot already.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
During PIA we had a lot of people take awhile to qualify, and fall behind, so it's not unheard of. But work on it. The faster you qualify, the easier your life will be.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Hobolicious posted:

During PIA we had a lot of people take awhile to qualify, and fall behind, so it's not unheard of. But work on it. The faster you qualify, the easier your life will be.

I can't qualify a watchstation though. My ship.. is still under construction, and the cards do not exist (yet). I was just trying to figure out how the hell long it would or should take me to qualify in a place where a ship's program exists.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
My guys took 12-18 months to qualify SRO. Not sure if that is standard, but that's what it was.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ryand-Smith posted:

I can't qualify a watchstation though. My ship.. is still under construction, and the cards do not exist (yet). I was just trying to figure out how the hell long it would or should take me to qualify in a place where a ship's program exists.

Who cares? Qualification times are all relative to what the needs of the command are. What has your LPO said? LCPO? being in a pre-com command sounds pretty swell as far as watches go. Qualify tagouts and electrical safety and you should be about as useful as any other electrician on board until the core is installed?

What are they telling you that is making you seek outside advice? Why do you care? Its odd that you want to compare this to anything else. You're not the first to arrive at your boat while it is construction are you? Qualification times are relative, particularly when you're import.

Ask your LPO or your DLPO or whatever you have on carriers. What have they told you?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I hope DLPO means what I hope it means

unfff only one final left then i get a month off unfffffffffff

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Ryand-Smith posted:

When the georgia was in the yards they sent me on the maryland to get qualified. Just get everything you can done before this if possible.

Granted in the yards every new nuke was so far behind on quals we never spoke about it. The CO found out some day and wanted us to get some check out some how, but there was no one available.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Any surface mechanics in here that can attest to how much easier/harder it is to qualify on a surface ship? I get the feeling it is just going to be the same poo poo over again.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

it's the same poo poo except totally different.

youll either specialize in nuclear or nonnuclear systems. if its nonnuclear, have fun dealing with the non-nukes in reactor dept lol.

basically forget everything you learned in prototype except for how to qualify. i say this as an ex prototype instructor.

Tuckleberry
Aug 30, 2009
I've got a potential job offer at "NY prototypes and labs" from an old contact. All it requires is a 108 qual. I don't know a whole lot about the prototypes as I'm a lowly non-government shipyard RCT. Any thoughts on where/how lovely/terrific this could actually be? Everything I've read would indicate Saratoga Springs, not sure about the lab part though.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Tuckleberry posted:

I've got a potential job offer at "NY prototypes and labs" from an old contact. All it requires is a 108 qual. I don't know a whole lot about the prototypes as I'm a lowly non-government shipyard RCT. Any thoughts on where/how lovely/terrific this could actually be? Everything I've read would indicate Saratoga Springs, not sure about the lab part though.

I tried to talk to the civilians on site as much as possible when I was in new York because they were always happy. Because they were always happy. Always happy.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The pay was also ridiculous.

Cousarr
Apr 29, 2008

Only a king can make this face.
The area is beautiful if sort of lacking in things to do. Although NYC is easy to make a weekend trip out of so that pretty much takes care of the lack of things to do. If you're heading up to the area from the SE take a look at the Amtrak Autotrain as a method of getting a car up there - way better than driving.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Tuckleberry posted:

Constant NR auditing. Like, permanently stationed NR "watchstander" on the prototype about 50% of the time. Tons of students running around doing stupid things like dropping a PVO wrench into the bilge and having to call it away as a spill. Nuclear emergency drills. I don't know how involved NY NPTU RCTs are with things but we had them down on the boats pretty regularly in Charleston NPTU.

Saratoga is ok, especially if you like the northern great outdoors. Lots of snow. 2 hours south of Canada. Horse-racing capital of the north east. Lots of horrible hippie girls at Skidmore College (all girls liberal arts school) right up the road. When I was up there, there was a Skidmore-led anti-nuclear protest every Sunday along my commute route. The base* itself is out there deep in the woods.

*its a DOE installation with no amenities other than a greasy-spoon style cafeteria and vending machines. There's a trailer a few miles up the road that sells uniform items and energy drinks so it's hardly Norfolk.

tldr: if you want to move to a small northern town and don't mind NR it'd be ok. I would've probably seriously considered a job as a RCT at NPTU Charleston if they had've been hiring when I was near EAOS.

rl update: college is still loving awesome. learning microcontroller programming right now and it gives me the biggest nerdboner ever every day.

Tuckleberry
Aug 30, 2009
That will definitely be a change of pace. NR doesn't come on mobile chernobyl unless things have gone horribly wrong (and they have!) Luckily they're usually involved with the hilarious shenanigans going on in the 72 RCOH

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Being in NY for the last 1.5 years, its not horrible. NR is always there. They have monitoring all the time...whether its NR or plant management or whatever. The civilians in section still have to do the rotating shift work with us Navy folk. Lots of different requirements for training and administration and CTP tests and blahblahblah. It's not so bad, being as that you get paid well and you don't have to deal with the regs of the Navy, but you are required to know both an EOOW level of knowledge, along with all the extra civilian requirements.

Tuckleberry
Aug 30, 2009
Haha just kidding turns out it's for the knolls lab up there, which appears to be same-ish area just closer to Albany. Says it's for decon and decom support, makes me kinda wonder about the longevity of the position and if I should forgo what could be a lifelong career at a shipyard for something temporary that might screw me out of returning to the shipyard.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Tuckleberry posted:

Haha just kidding turns out it's for the knolls lab up there, which appears to be same-ish area just closer to Albany. Says it's for decon and decom support, makes me kinda wonder about the longevity of the position and if I should forgo what could be a lifelong career at a shipyard for something temporary that might screw me out of returning to the shipyard.

I would not expect the position to have much longevity since they already have the decom dates set for both prototypes in NY. The 2 new prototypes will be in Charleston, SC. I don't know what's happening to the Balston Spa or Schenectady sites.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I thought the two new prototypes in SC were to replace the ancient MTS's. Are they going down to 2 total? That seems a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

It'll be great for all the power school grads put on hold. Less sea time. :toot:

• Locked thread