Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Xandoom posted:

Does anyone have reccomendations for metal bands with a female vocalist in it? I have been listening to Battlelore a lot lately, so something along those lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg5_mlQOsUQ

Joke post and also, serious post.

izationalizer posted:

Those OMD albums are indeed good. A few more off the top o' my head, in no particular order:

Human League - Dare
Gary Numan - Pleasure Principle
New Order - Power, Corruption, and Lies
Ultravox - S/T

I'd also recommend Suicide's self-titled album. It's more like proto-synth pop, and it's definitely darker and a bit demented (e.g., "Frankie Teardrop," which is one of the scariest songs of all time), but it is seminal and stunningly good, IMHO. One of my favorites of the 1970s. Here's a couple of the synth poppier tunes (the first one is actually a bonus track from the 2xCD version):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KJJyKqcL2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KJJyKqcL2A

Thank you, I can't get "Metal" out of my head so that's a great start.

alansmithee posted:

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark-"Organization" and "Architecture And Morality"

Really not what I was expecting, so that's why I love it.

regulargonzalez posted:

Along with the other suggestions, Apoptygma Berzerk's work after their first couple of albums.

Alright! On my to listen list next!

Thanks all.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
For someone getting into Acid Jazz, what should I listen to?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Xandoom posted:

Does anyone have reccomendations for metal bands with a female vocalist in it? I have been listening to Battlelore a lot lately, so something along those lines.

Crimfall, without a doubt. They do the same alternating thing between growly/snarly guy and smoother female vocals, and I'd say they're a pretty safe bet for anyone who likes Battlelore. Helena is a bloody stellar singer, but sadly is not with the band anymore. Still, the two albums they have put out with her are really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6FSDDDe0jA

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Xandoom posted:

I'm a fan of Blood Ceremony. They're very Jethro Tull/Black Sabbath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csC5_tPVRpQ

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Xandoom posted:

I don't have anything symphonic, but as far as clean female vocalists in metal I like Witch Mountain, Christian Mistress and Jex Thoth.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

I've never 100% understood the term "acid jazz," but I really like First Aid Kid by Plaster, and when I first found it it was labelled as acid jazz.

edit: this was a stupid post, "hey I dunno what acid jazz is but this might be that kind of music." Anyway I stand by the recommendation itself :colbert:

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 12, 2013

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ah the much maligned Acid Jazz. Mix up Jazz-Funk with bits of House and Hip-Hop and that's what you get. Actually a lot of good stuff came out of that sound, though plenty of crap too. Especially after one or two groups started reeling off hits and everyone decided to jump on the bandwagon for a bit.

Anyway to start off I'd go back a page or two when I answered someone about Jazz-Funk, I mostly recommended American Jazz kinda stuff there which was very influential to the Acid Jazz scene, though it's almost as heavily indebted to the slightly later early-80s British Jazz-Funk scene which was even more dancefloor orientated. Anyway enough of that wee sidetrack.

So there were a couple of big names in the Acid Jazz scene. The obvious being Jamiroqui, yes that Jamiroquai. The first album Emergency On Planet Earth is the best, although I can still dig the next two. After that the cocaine got the better of them. Not exactly original or cool nowadays but still fun if you ask me.

Another big name is the Brand New Heavies. Stick to the albums done with original vocalist N'Dea Davenport and you'll be fine. I recommend their debut (either the original or the re-mixed one with Davenport on vocals) and the '94 album Brother Sister, which has a bunch of tracks everyone heard on the radio back then like Midnight at the Oasis and Dream on Dreamer. These two groups were definitely had more commercial success and sadly suffered a lot of crap knock offs, which is a shame as it was so much more than some slap bass and some funk grooves on the guitar.

Incognito are another big name too, having survived right through from the early 80s British Jazz-Funk scene. They came back in the early 90s on Talkin' Loud Records and had a fantastic run of records during that time. It's hard to choose just one, so I'd say take your pick of any of the following: Inside Life, Tribes, Scribes & Vibes, Positivity and finally 100 Degrees And Rising.

Another Talkin' Loud act was the sadly short lived Young Disciples who had a more hip-hop feel about them. Only one album though - Road To Freedom - so pick that up.

My favourite group to come out that scene though was Galliano. Again a nice mix of everything as well as a lot of humour involved too. While I'd say pick up everything they did, I'd start with their second and third albums: A Joyful Noise Unto The Creator and The Plot Thickens.

That's just a small list. I'd also check out a couple of the bigger record labels and the other acts on them. Some labels in particular include Acid Jazz Records, though come the mid-90s flush with Jamiroquai success they started to suck. They did have kinda half-decent groups like Mother Earth and Corduroy. Still a wee bit too tame and straight though for my tastes.

Dorado Records tended to play things a bit more on the Housier side of things a lot of the time, with acts like D*Note and Outside. I'd give their three original label comps a whirl for a general taste, all simply named 'Dorado - A Compilation'.

Finally there's the mighty Talkin' Loud records, which was set-up by Gilles Peterson after he saw Acid Jazz Records hitting a bit of a dead end. Key bands on that label were Incognito and Galliano as I mentioned above, there's also other artists like K-Creative - again one single album called Q.E.D. - and on a more hip-hop tip Urban Species and Marxman.

Now I figure I've scared you off by that big wall of crap, so hey gently caress it, if you want just pick up the recent Acid Jazz Records 25th Anniversary boxset Harmless Records put out last year. It's a nice mix of tracks, and even goes into some of the music that influenced the scene too.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
What "genre" does Chelsea Wolfe fall into and are there any similar artist? Closest I could think of myself is PJ Harvey. I really want to find some more music like Apokalypsis or Pain is Beauty, help

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Skilleddk posted:

What "genre" does Chelsea Wolfe fall into and are there any similar artist? Closest I could think of myself is PJ Harvey. I really want to find some more music like Apokalypsis or Pain is Beauty, help

Chelsea Wolfe does a lot of songs that fall into different genres so it's hard to point to a specific artist. Maaaaybe try Bjork's Debut?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

So, I'm a big fan of that pirate shanty that Pirates of the Carribbean has made really famous. Does anyone make serious music like that? Also, I guess you wouldn't even have to restrict it to that one song, anything inspired by/similar to an old sea shanty would do. I know it's an odd request because these things were usually done without instruments.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wolfy posted:

So, I'm a big fan of that pirate shanty that Pirates of the Carribbean has made really famous. Does anyone make serious music like that? Also, I guess you wouldn't even have to restrict it to that one song, anything inspired by/similar to an old sea shanty would do. I know it's an odd request because these things were usually done without instruments.

Space Shanty by Khan?

not a serious suggestion for what you asked, but highly recommended if you like prog

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Skilleddk posted:

I'm not sure what genre to call her, but mostly I think people say goth-folk. I could also see her being lumped into the freak-folk movement (lil classic phiz humor for you guys)

Marriages is a lot like her though. If you like the her spooky ethereal tendencies, you might give Grouper a shot also. For more dark folksy bands check out some of the artists on Enemies List, like Giles Corey or Afterlives. Also check out Have A Nice Life on that label; even though that band isn't folk really at all, I still hear a good amount of overlap.

e: also True Widow is cool and worth a listen

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Wolfy posted:

Try some traditional Irish music or folk music perhaps?

This is my favorite shanty-inspired song (even though it isn't actually traditional)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMV34CwNMY0

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
The later Earth records can be relevant as well for Chelsea Wolfe, particularly if you like her songs like Pale on Pale.

THE JORY
Jul 28, 2012

Does anyone know of some nice, kinda spacey sounding ambient music? Kinda like: Aphex Twin - Stone in Focus, Mistabishi - Genes specifically from 6 minutes in to the end, or Mass Effect - Vigil. Just searching for "spacey ambient music" isn't really giving my the results I want. Thanks in advance!

snooman
Aug 15, 2013
I'm looking for heavy, sludgy music with good (or unusual) songwriting, very strong instrumentalists and a vocalist that I don't hate (which rules out most grunt-y, scream-y black metal). Stuff that gets labeled stoner rock but isn't neccesarily trying for it. Examples would be Primus, Melvins and Clutch.

I have yet to try out Kyuss but it's always in the back of my mind. Russian Circles sounds promising (and fyi Skilleddk, Chelsea Wolfe is featured on one of their tracks.)

e: I have yet to hear vocals in Russian Circles other than the one track with Wolfe. That's not going to fly.

e: vvv Thanks for the list, but after a short listen none of the vocalists are doing anything for me although I'm digging some of the tunes (primarily Orange Goblin.) Primus got included for their unusual style and excellent musicians (original lineup with Herb.)

Mr. Bungle - That's getting more on the trail I'm interested in. I thought about including Ween in the orignal post, among others, but I don't want this post to turn into 'tell me your favorite band that isn't mainstream'. Faith No More takes me back; I miss that early '90s music scene.

snooman fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 14, 2013

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Russian Circles are an instrumental band, so...

Try out:

Fu Manchu
Wo Fat
Torche
Church of Misery (their vocals are a little bit out there)
Eternal Elysium
Corrosion of Conformity
Orange Goblin
sHEAVY
Monster Magnet
Unida
Big Business

And you really do need to get on the Kyuss wagon ASAP. Also Primus seem really out of place with what you're asking for.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

snooman posted:

I'm looking for heavy, sludgy music with good (or unusual) songwriting, very strong instrumentalists and a vocalist that I don't hate (which rules out most grunt-y, scream-y black metal). Stuff that gets labeled stoner rock but isn't neccesarily trying for it. Examples would be Primus, Melvins and Clutch.

I have yet to try out Kyuss but it's always in the back of my mind. Russian Circles sounds promising (and fyi Skilleddk, Chelsea Wolfe is featured on one of their tracks.)

e: I have yet to hear vocals in Russian Circles other than the one track with Wolfe. That's not going to fly.

Russian Circles is instrumental. If that's a problem, pull out now.

Mr. Bungle and Faith No More will probably fit the bill of what you're looking for.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

e: Never mind

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Seconding the "Get on Kyuss" suggestion. You won't regret it.

Other suggestions:
Slo Burn
The Sword
Down

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

snooman posted:

If you're interested in the more long form sludge metal but with vocals you will want to check out the big names of "post-metal"; Neurosis, Isis and Cult of Luna.

If you find Down interesting you will definitely want to check out Crowbar, particularly their early material which was very focused on churning, sludgy mid-paced riffs with the occasional punk tempo.

His Hero is Gone are kind of the opposite in that they were first and foremost a hardcore punk band but had thick sludgy guitars and often littered their albums with some really well written dirges. The band Tragedy formed out of their breakup; they use a similar guitar tone but are more of a straight forward punk band, although they still write some slow/mid-paced material.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

regulargonzalez posted:

Maaaaybe Mazzy Star. Similar kind of melancholy shoegaze-y pop sound but lower intensity.

Oh yeah, this I like. Thanks.

Xandoom posted:

Give Tristania a try. They have a nice growly male/clean male and female dynamic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DLka59fiNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EF1AKVs988

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Hooplah posted:

I'm not sure what genre to call her, but mostly I think people say goth-folk. I could also see her being lumped into the freak-folk movement (lil classic phiz humor for you guys)

Marriages is a lot like her though. If you like the her spooky ethereal tendencies, you might give Grouper a shot also. For more dark folksy bands check out some of the artists on Enemies List, like Giles Corey or Afterlives. Also check out Have A Nice Life on that label; even though that band isn't folk really at all, I still hear a good amount of overlap.

e: also True Widow is cool and worth a listen

Thanks! Grouper is definately up my alley! I don't see the connection with Marriages even though they seem like a great band too, so I'll check them out

And Snooman I've heard Memorial, it's goddamn beautiful. I saw Chelsea + RC live on their joint tour a month ago and got Chelsea to sign a vinyl :v:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

snooman posted:

e: vvv Thanks for the list, but after a short listen none of the vocalists are doing anything for me although I'm digging some of the tunes (primarily Orange Goblin.) Primus got included for their unusual style and excellent musicians (original lineup with Herb.)

Mr. Bungle - That's getting more on the trail I'm interested in. I thought about including Ween in the orignal post, among others, but I don't want this post to turn into 'tell me your favorite band that isn't mainstream'. Faith No More takes me back; I miss that early '90s music scene.

Try Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Black Griffon posted:

Oh yeah, this I like. Thanks.

No Mazzy Star post should go without a picture of their singer Hope Sandoval:

:getin:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 16, 2013

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

This is amazing, thanks for posting. I'm listening to Grand Opening and Closing and can already tell I'm going to put some miles on this album.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Looking for 2 recommendations.

First one should be relatively easy--I'm looking for a place to get my feet wet with psytrance or Goa. So far all I've heard is Neelix and I like his stuff a lot.

Second one is a bit more nebulous--I'm looking for groovy, mellow house music that has almost an introspective vibe. Tracks like Easier to Hide from Maya Jane Coles, What I Might Do from Ben Pearce, Lost in You from Dusky and the remix of It's Cool by Andrew Bayer and Jody Wisternoff should give you a decent idea of what I'm looking for.

A couple of links for the curious--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLvByOh2iLo--Easier to Hide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85KTo5bvRig--It's Cool remix

edit--

I guess while I'm here I should ask for more stuff like Cirez D--no idea what to call it but just dark techno I guess? I just really love dark throbbing basslines is what
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqdSuhxnMF0--Drums in the Deep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV4BT1qIovE--The Tumble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_8ahMGplTc--Glow (inthedark)

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 16, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

me your dad posted:

No Mazzy Star post should go without a picture of their singer Hope Sandoval:

:getin:
Please don't do this

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Sharzak posted:

Looking for 2 recommendations.

First one should be relatively easy--I'm looking for a place to get my feet wet with psytrance or Goa. So far all I've heard is Neelix and I like his stuff a lot.

I'm going to lump goa and psytrance into one because I think the differences are academic and not really important.
Perhaps THE definitive goa trance album is Paul Oakenfold - Goa Mix Gold / Goa Mix Silver. They aren't technically in print but a dedicated searcher can find used copies or whatever. A slightly modified version has been released as Goa Mix 2011 and is available at Amazon et al.
Other good albums in the genre include Juno Reactor - Beyond the Infinite; Paul Oakenfold - Perfecto Presents Another World; Hallucinogen - entire body of work but you can start with Twisted; Astral Projection - entire body of work but you can start with Dancing Galaxy and work back.
Other artists to check out are Infected Mushroom and Man With No Name.
After you have a good feel for the music, Shpongle is where you want to end up.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is there a thread about online radio-stations/streams? I'm specifically looking for ones featuring electronic music, maybe one for dubstep, one a bit more experimental. And one for Techno.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

midnightclimax posted:

Is there a thread about online radio-stations/streams? I'm specifically looking for ones featuring electronic music, maybe one for dubstep, one a bit more experimental. And one for Techno.

Check out Songza. No commercials, interesting mixes.

e: I like stuff from here:
http://songza.com/discover/activities/working_studying_without_lyrics/

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

butros posted:

Check out Songza. No commercials, interesting mixes.

e: I like stuff from here:
http://songza.com/discover/activities/working_studying_without_lyrics/

Ah cool but...

quote:

We are very sorry to say that due to licensing constraints we cannot allow access to Songza for listeners located outside of the United States and Canada.

Should've said I'm in Euroland.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Try somaFM.com. No commercials, listener supported, really well curated. There are stations for many particular kinds/flavours/moods of electronica, except I don't think there's one for boomy techno.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Check out red bull music academy radio.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

alnilam posted:

Try somaFM.com. No commercials, listener supported, really well curated. There are stations for many particular kinds/flavours/moods of electronica, except I don't think there's one for boomy techno.

plogo posted:

Check out red bull music academy radio.

Thanks, I'll go and check those out.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

http://boilerroom.tv/

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So assuming that I want to get into some smooth jazz or something similar to chill out with, what kind of artists am I looking for?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

midnightclimax posted:

RinseFM is a real radio station that you can stream via the internet and download shows as podcasts.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

midnightclimax posted:

https://www.di.fm for all those genres and more. My favorite site / app for electronic music

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Thanks a lot, guys, keep it coming. Those recommendations are really great. I'm listening to Gabber for the first time since the 90s, woooeeee.

e: also thanks to whoever moved the D&D funny pictures thread to this sub-forum, heh.

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Okay, this may be a bit obscure, but I'll give it a shot. Is there a name for the genre of music that they use in spaghetti Westerns -- like with the Mexican trumpet? I've been in a Westernish mood but I've been craving something other than Ennio Morricone soundtracks, like the actual Mexican trumpet music he based his stuff on. "Mariachi" music is a little too upbeat and isn't quite what I'm looking for, I'm looking more for contemplative solos and things.

A bit like this, more of this kind of thing.