Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

They really hosed up by not adding a homebase in that dino park thing. Or in the courthouse. Or the grange.

I think the fire department would be a neat home base. Part of the walls could be made of re-purposed fire trucks! :allears:
There are actually several sites that look like they could be home bases and might have been earlier in development, and its a shame we have so few options and they aren't balanced well. Home Sites need a lot of tweaking in general, from their construction to the AI behavior in them.

The courthouse would make a pretty cool home base if;
A) You could get on the roof.
B) We got fixed AI behaviors.
Double Watchtowers is pretty nice, but they both face the water and don't cover the alleys behind at all.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ive played a game from breakdown 1-5 but then restarted because I had so many items that it was impossible for me to get influence easily. Level 5 is actually pretty tough already! Half the buildings are empty, the only resource found in abundance still is food. Absoluely no medicine at all in spencers mill, no fuel either. I had to drive to a farm near marshall for one bag of medicine.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Playing Breakdown level 5, I decided to be clever and make a run to pick up a previously dropped sack of fuel, in the dark, on foot. I figured it'd only be a short sprint.

My character is now stuck on top of a water tower, with only an empty gun and a melee weapon, with two hoardes, about 15 freaks and 30 odd zombies waiting for me to try and make a break for it. :stare:

And more are piling in. :stonk:

This game is amazing.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 14, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FrickenMoron posted:

Ive played a game from breakdown 1-5 but then restarted because I had so many items that it was impossible for me to get influence easily. Level 5 is actually pretty tough already! Half the buildings are empty, the only resource found in abundance still is food. Absoluely no medicine at all in spencers mill, no fuel either. I had to drive to a farm near marshall for one bag of medicine.
I found that late in the map right before I leave in the RV, it's a pretty good idea to go through the locker and just flat out destroy every low-value weapon and extraneous copies of guns I don't have much ammo for. I also give everybody I'm taking a large backpack, and if possible, another extra backpack to immediately dump into the locker after I restart, preferably alongside a pile of high-value weapons which immediately gives a couple hundred quick influence on the next map start.

I am not sure if this is hurting my end of run score by dumping my unneeded influence, but it seems to help.

Mister Bates posted:

The Alamo is the one I've found most fun, but it's also the same size as the church. You're going to be constantly hassled by zombies, but it's also really defensible, and downtown Marshall is so densely-packed that you can scavenge most of the town without even having to use a car. The lack of upgrade slots is a huge limiting factor, though, and it gets overcrowded quickly.

The McReady Farmhouse has the same problem; you're smack dab in the center of the map, but that just means you're equally far away from everything. On the bright side, the farmhouse is so far away from everything that you're pretty much completely safe from zombie attacks. It's also significantly bigger than the church.

There's also the Savini and Kirkman residences, the former in Marshall and the latter in Spencer's Mill. They're both pretty nice, bigger than the church but smaller than the farmhouse, and are positioned in good central locations to stripmine their respective towns. There's basically no reason to move into either unless you're playing Breakdown, though - Snyder's is right next to Savini's and is objectively better, and Kirkman's place is just a couple of blocks away from the church you start out living in.
I kind of like the idea of moving around between all of the lower-level safehouses and just stripping a map bare with my high level group of survivors on later breakdown levels, I will have to try that. ;)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Do the side missions at the home base respawn indefinitely? It seems like every half an hour I'll have 3 people at home being scared or angry even though my morale bar is full.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well I decided to take lillys dad in breakdown out to get some supplies. A feral spawned and killed me instantly after knocking me down, I thought you didnt die unless your health bar was knocked down enough. Well I guess special zombies can kill you more quickly? Also I noticed that survivors actually fire out of windows... sometimes. During siege missions at least.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

OldMemes posted:

Playing Breakdown level 5, I decided to be clever and make a run to pick up a previously dropped sack of fuel, in the dark, on foot. I figured it'd only be a short sprint.

My character is now stuck on top of a water tower, with only an empty gun and a melee weapon, with two hoardes, about 15 freaks and 30 odd zombies waiting for me to try and make a break for it. :stare:

This game is amazing.

I am in the middle of the Momento mission as we speak, walked into it with a half broken weapon, six bullets, and one aspirin bottle. How tough could getting one watch be I thought?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Do the side missions at the home base respawn indefinitely? It seems like every half an hour I'll have 3 people at home being scared or angry even though my morale bar is full.
Pretty much. Find someone with Counseling and dump them at home and the freak-out rate should drop like a stone.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
So my story mission progression has halted. I have no idea what caused it. Is there a txt or a console command I can edit to activate a certain story mission?

def person
Jan 14, 2007

joats posted:

So my story mission progression has halted. I have no idea what caused it. Is there a txt or a console command I can edit to activate a certain story mission?

I'm in the same boat.Last 2 hours have been save an ally or take care of sad sally.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

FrickenMoron posted:

The best solution I've found for this is regularly trading your less than desirable items to Enclaves. This works especially well if they have ammo, making the trip worthwhile both ways. Also, once you have most things you're happy with, you can sell looted items directly to an Enclave, with no influence lost due to the 'exchange rate'.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

joats posted:

Are you sure it's halted? Sometimes, after you do a story mission, it takes a day or two for the next to show up.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Try restarting the game. I had that problem and it cleared up after I closed out and re-entered the story mode.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
The stash item limit is a bummer in Breakdown, but you can get around it. You generally get one or two local friendlies around your group, just dump your items for influence in their stash.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
It would be nice if selling items to friendly enclaves made them more effective at surviving, so I wouldn't have to constantly run over and rescue them.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

OldMemes posted:

This game is amazing.

Breakdown 5 is where the difficulty started showing. Also the level where I finally and unintentionally lost my first survivor. Of course, he was also the coolest looking one, the unlockable mercenary guy. Dude got ripped in half when a feral, couple army zeds and other chumps out of a bush ambushed him. The rotter that came out of nowhere and blew up on his face didn't help either. :saddowns:

Started Breakdown 6 and while I like it otherwise, there's just too many freaks around. I don't like them. Good thing there's no more hero unlocks further so I don't feel my OCD marching me forward any more.

Think I'll just restart at level 3 now, get rid of that bloated stash while at it. I hope Undead Labs would simply add a difficulty checkbox in options that clears stash between Breakdown levels.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Yar The Pirate posted:

Try restarting the game. I had that problem and it cleared up after I closed out and re-entered the story mode.

I know but after restarting and playing multiple times over 12 hours RL time. I'm pretty sure nobody Else is going to give me a mission.

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013
I'm having the same problem as Joats.

I did two of the Grange missions and just started the Courthouse missions and now the story will not progress. The only missions I get are normal side missions.
I've almost looted the whole map and nothing will pop up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had a weird thing where I seemed to skip a whole section of a Grange mission - Quentin asks me to find out more about Becca, I said,"Okay," and then a mission popped up saying,"You must decide whether to tell Quentin the terrible truth!"

Since I didn't know what that was, I told Quentin it was best he not know, and everything seemed to work out okay :)

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I had a weird thing where I seemed to skip a whole section of a Grange mission - Quentin asks me to find out more about Becca, I said,"Okay," and then a mission popped up saying,"You must decide whether to tell Quentin the terrible truth!"

Since I didn't know what that was, I told Quentin it was best he not know, and everything seemed to work out okay :)

It's been awhile, but I think you talk to somebody at the courthouse. If you already finished the courthouse missions it may just skip to the end of the Grange mission.

Before the apocalypse Becca was a prostitute.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jonny Retro posted:

It's been awhile, but I think you talk to somebody at the courthouse. If you already finished the courthouse missions it may just skip to the end of the Grange mission.

Weird, I assume the courthouse missions end with the sudden overwhelming of their defenses and the death of the judge and the sheriff which definitely happened AFTER that mission. I found that one weird too, because it just seemed to come out of nowhere and when it was over I couldn't find anybody to talk to about what the hell just happened, but got the,"See Things Through At The Courthouse" achievement pop up. Later on, a couple of the survivors there called me up and asked to join me, and I agreed, but I still don't know what happened to cause the place to get overrun.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Okay, gently caress those "fate cards" or whatever they are. I've got wall repairs 3 times in a row, because apparently having 20 materials is over the storage capacity of the Alamo? Really, that poo poo is so bugged.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Weird, I assume the courthouse missions end with the sudden overwhelming of their defenses and the death of the judge and the sheriff which definitely happened AFTER that mission. I found that one weird too, because it just seemed to come out of nowhere and when it was over I couldn't find anybody to talk to about what the hell just happened, but got the,"See Things Through At The Courthouse" achievement pop up. Later on, a couple of the survivors there called me up and asked to join me, and I agreed, but I still don't know what happened to cause the place to get overrun.

I'm pretty sure it's because they ran out of time before they could finish all of the main story missions and had to just sort of half-rear end an end to the Courthouse story arc in order to make their release date.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I think I'm playing this game wrong. I can't find any materials to loot to move my home base.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Mister Bates posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because they ran out of time before they could finish all of the main story missions and had to just sort of half-rear end an end to the Courthouse story arc in order to make their release date.

Almost all of the side missions feel this way. Hell, the main mission too.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I think I'm playing this game wrong. I can't find any materials to loot to move my home base.

Breakdown or story? Theres a huge material storage if you drive north from Spencers Mill through the tunnel, it's a power station or something. (3 or 4 crates worth)
Same deal if you drive from Spencers mill to marshall east, you pass by a power station near the river that has 3 or 4 crates worth of materials.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 15, 2013

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Story mode. Word, I'll have to check out those areas next time I play. I wanna move to the Warehouse I think, but I need 3 more people first.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Overwined posted:

Almost all of the side missions feel this way. Hell, the main mission too.

Sad but true. All of the story threads either go nowhere (the Grange, the Wilkersons, Ray Santos) or peter out in the lamest way possible (the Courthouse). At least two of those were pretty clearly supposed to lead to some human-on-human fighting, so it's a shame they never actually reached that point.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I'd love to see human on human fighting and more dynamic missions.

Imagine if the Wilkerson mission gave you the choice of helping the Wilkersons extort locals (and gaining a considerable amount of supplies) or helping a fed-up enclave fight the Wilkersons. Guns would finally have a use other than killing the popper zombies. It would also be pretty neat to beat one of those hillbilly pieces of poo poo to death with a wrench.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

Oh :smith:

Well I'm still enjoying the game, but yeah it's a shame that some of the plot threads appear to go nowhere.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

SAMARIX posted:

I'm having the same problem as Joats.

I did two of the Grange missions and just started the Courthouse missions and now the story will not progress. The only missions I get are normal side missions.
I've almost looted the whole map and nothing will pop up.

joats posted:

I know but after restarting and playing multiple times over 12 hours RL time. I'm pretty sure nobody Else is going to give me a mission.
I have a uhhh... buddy who pirated the game before actually buying it and he encountered this problem too. Sound at all familiar?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Feeble posted:

I have a uhhh... buddy who pirated the game before actually buying it and he encountered this problem too. Sound at all familiar?

My steam account says no. This is a problem with the retail version.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I read in the OP that I shouldn't be able to lone wolf this, and I got the impression that it's supposed to be hard. I played it while visiting a friend, and I could just run and murder everything without bothering. Using cars made everything even easier. This was at the start of the game, at the chruch, and I remember getting pissed off at the early mission where you have to get medicine but can't use cars on the way back because of ~oh no, noise~.

Does the game get harder later on? Because that experience made me wary about getting the game. But then I see the OP describing it as "zombie survival sim", which brings my thoughts to a Project Zomboid style-esque game in difficulty and depth, and that's something I crave.

In other words, I wanna jump down from being on the fence.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Spakstik posted:

Sad but true. All of the story threads either go nowhere (the Grange, the Wilkersons, Ray Santos) or peter out in the lamest way possible (the Courthouse). At least two of those were pretty clearly supposed to lead to some human-on-human fighting, so it's a shame they never actually reached that point.

There's actually code supporting hostile humans present in the XML files.

Do the military or other survivors ever attack you in story mode? Because there's two NPC factions outside of the player, NPC enclaves, and zombies that are defined. Both are hostile to the player and their enclave from what I can tell. One is "grunts" (I'm assuming the military.), and the other is "rogues" (I'm assuming these are enclaves that are hostile.).

I'm assuming these were meant to be the basis for some sort of factions that would harass the player and their HQ.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 16, 2013

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013

Feeble posted:

Nah, I bought State of Decay during the Steam sale.

I've been reading the steam discussions and the official forums and were not the only ones having this problem. Seems like the last patch might of bugged something.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Archonex posted:

Do the military or other survivors ever attack you in story mode? Because there's two NPC factions outside of the player, NPC enclaves, and zombies that are defined. Both are hostile to the player and their enclave from what I can tell. One is "grunts" (I'm assuming the military.), and the other is "rogues" (I'm assuming these are enclaves that are hostile.).

I'm assuming these were meant to be the basis for some sort of factions that would harass the player and their HQ.

No one ever does. There are some plot bits that imply something like this is going to happen, but it never actually escalates.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

I read in the OP that I shouldn't be able to lone wolf this, and I got the impression that it's supposed to be hard. I played it while visiting a friend, and I could just run and murder everything without bothering. Using cars made everything even easier. This was at the start of the game, at the chruch, and I remember getting pissed off at the early mission where you have to get medicine but can't use cars on the way back because of ~oh no, noise~.

Does the game get harder later on? Because that experience made me wary about getting the game. But then I see the OP describing it as "zombie survival sim", which brings my thoughts to a Project Zomboid style-esque game in difficulty and depth, and that's something I crave.

It doesn't really get harder, it's kind of the big problem with the game. The lone wolf thing just meant you can't go through the game as a single character which was a question coming up a lot before the game was released. Breakdown fixes the difficulty problem a little, but it's still not perfect. Once the difficulty starts to feel right the car and item density starts to get really low, so it doesn't quite reach that nice balance.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

No one ever does. There are some plot bits that imply something like this is going to happen, but it never actually escalates.

I figured that

quote:

after the Wilkersons executed three people during a supply exchange
poo poo would go down, but it never did. I think any further expansion packs should feature human vs. human battles; after all, resources are scarce and people are desperate.

Although in my first round of Breakdown, I have 16 survivors at Snyder. Any other faction would have to have similar numbers to pose a threat, unless they did ambushes of a single survivor when they were out on runs. I dunno if the engine is capable of that, though.

Whatever, I'm fuckin loving this game.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Archonex posted:

As Mister Bates mentioned, people fighting other people is where a lot of the missions seemed to be heading. The Wilkersons or another unnamed faction (it's hard to tell without the plot actually being finished) are supposed to be robbing survivors, and the Wilkersons outright murder some people they're supposed to be conducting a business deal with. Radio traffic mentions that the army has been clashing with people who're trying to get the soldiers to give them supplies, but then the military just sort of disappears near the end. The judge running the courthouse faction is big into restricting gun ownership and makes it sound like they'll take weapons by force if need be, and a conversation between the sheriff and someone at the Grange makes it sound like they're not above coercing groups into joining them. The judge's rhetoric also hints at a showdown between the courthouse and the military, but then the judge and the sheriff just die offscreen and nothing comes of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

MrOnBicycle posted:

It doesn't get harder in the sense that zombies get more hp, better armor, magical powers etc. But you will get lulled into a false sense of security, and learn that a situation can quickly spiral out of control. When it happens to me the first time, I started the game over. Now I don't really get attached to anyone, and try to cycle between group members often to make sure they all their fair share of exp, just in case.

• Locked thread