Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

S.W.G. posted:

Happy time :flashfap:
2009 335i, auto, sports, cold weather, convenience, nav packages with option 19"s.

Turns out when you buy a car from Carmax, they send you all the pictures they took of your new car before you bought it. Linking a few:

Loving every minute driving this so far. It's deceptively fast, definitely underrated from the factory numbers. A good pull gets you up to 100 before you realize it, when 2nd gear is rapping out to 70 and 3rd to 100 even. Scored a free year of satellite too because nobody ever bothered to activate it when it was brand new.

Need's an ///M wheel and a JB4, thats about it.

Nice looking car, condolences on the auto and nav.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

HotCanadianChick posted:

"Hey guy, let me poo poo on your happiness."

That's a bullshit post and you should feel bad about it.

S.W.G. posted:

Happy time :flashfap:
2009 335i, auto, sports, cold weather, convenience, nav packages with option 19"s.

Turns out when you buy a car from Carmax, they send you all the pictures they took of your new car before you bought it. Linking a few:

Loving every minute driving this so far. It's deceptively fast, definitely underrated from the factory numbers. A good pull gets you up to 100 before you realize it, when 2nd gear is rapping out to 70 and 3rd to 100 even. Scored a free year of satellite too because nobody ever bothered to activate it when it was brand new.

Need's an ///M wheel and a JB4, thats about it.

Beautiful car- hope you continue to love it. :)

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

sofullofhate posted:

"Hey guy, let me poo poo on your happinessquestionable choices."

FTFY although I agree that we can't judge too harshly for stuff like that, after all maybe he's missing a leg and an arm?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've bolded the relevant bits, any insight would be helpful, not super enthusiastic about taking apart the top half of the engine bay to replace a $200 alternator if I don't have to.

98 528i E39 with the 2.8L I6 (M52?), 175,000 miles

Replaced the battery February 2012

I live in Texas and it is generally 45-70F (7-21C) in the winter. Recently we have had a two week cold snap with temperatures in the 23F (-5c) range. Car is always garaged at night and in a semi-covered parking garage (8th floor, open sides) 4 days a week. So this has been somewhat of a thermal shock for the car but not major considering the climate it's designed for (when new anyways)

I helped a lady jump her car off of my battery terminals about three weeks ago.

Drove home from an event Thursday night, it was about 22F outside and the car had been parked for 3 hours. Car was making a new, strange humming noise, but it was cold out and didn't sound terrible so I drove the 12 miles home. It was a slight vibrating noise, no metal on metal contact sound and it was quiet enough that I couldn't hear it over highway noise. A less anal-retentive person probably wouldn't have noticed it.

Woke up the next morning and the battery light was on, continued the last 3 miles to work, drove it home that night with the lights off and now it won't start. Dash lights etc come on but there's not enough juice to turn over. Battery terminals look good, no obvious fuses blown etc.

I'm guessing this is the alternator, I have it on the charger now and I'm about to go out and buy a multimeter, anything else I should look at before I plunk down for a (apparently $200) new 120 amp alternator?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I think the auto/manual debate is getting old. If the guy wants an manual, he would have bought a manual.

Until you pay for it, you really have no place to say anything. (soliciting donations for the manual transmission rover fund btw :v: )

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Hadlock posted:

I'm guessing this is the alternator, I have it on the charger now and I'm about to go out and buy a multimeter, anything else I should look at before I plunk down for a (apparently $200) new 120 amp alternator?

Charge it and take it to an auto parts store. They can test both the battery and the alternator in one shot. Hopefully you just got a bum battery that doesn't hold a charge. I'm not sure if this is an issue on e39s but on e46's the voltage regulator tends to go bad, but I don't think your symptoms match up. Still, check that out by making sure you see 14v at the battery terminals while the car is running. A new voltage regulator may be cheaper than a new alternator, on the e46 depending on the model, it's either significantly cheaper or is $20 off from a rebuilt alternator. Otherwise yeah, you're looking at a new (rebuilt) alternator.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I get why people like a manual in these cars, but I can honestly say that if you commute in it daily in a large city, I can't fault anyone for buying an auto. I know there have been countless times in the past 8 months that I wish I wasn't having to work a clutch in 5mph traffic monday thru friday, and I live in Nashville. If I lived in LA or Atlanta there's no way I'd drive stick.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 16, 2013

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It's probably bad that there is as bolt rolling around in my oil pan on my M42, right?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

sofullofhate posted:

If he's got nav, it means he did not do his homework before buying. Not doing the legwork before shelling out on what is, for most people, the most expensive single item they will own at any given time (excepting buying a house), is - to me - an inexcusable lapse in common sense.

Lightbulb Out posted:

It's probably bad that there is as bolt rolling around in my oil pan on my M42, right?

A bolt and not a nut? If you'd said nut, I'd think oil pump nut, but...

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
M42 has a couple of bolts inside the oil pan. Pretty sure they are for the oil pump, and can back out over time.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Dyscrasia posted:

M42 has a couple of bolts inside the oil pan. Pretty sure they are for the oil pump, and can back out over time.

I'm 99% confident it's this issue, it's just yet another thing I need to fix on the E30. The joys of daily driving a 20+ year old car.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Yeah, it's a common failure.

http://84.45.115.78/e30zonewiki/index.php/M42_Sump_Bolts

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

HotCanadianChick posted:

If he's got nav, it means he did not do his homework before buying. Not doing the legwork before shelling out on what is, for most people, the most expensive single item they will own at any given time (excepting buying a house), is - to me - an inexcusable lapse in common sense.

Forgive me, Im not up on these newfangled BMWs. Why is Nav a bad idea? Being that he got it at carmax its a possibility it was just something that was on a car that had everything else he wanted. As for the auto bit, those twin clutch transmissions are pretty sweet from what Ive seen of them. I feel like a strong argument could be made that its only for silly emotional reasons people could want a clutch pedal. I mean the US market is the only place that is getting non DCTs in the M cars to my understanding.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

HotCanadianChick posted:

I would agree with you based on the thought of buying the car new from the dealership. In the realm of pre-owned you will compromise a lot more on desired attributes. I bought and E36 M3 luxury. That means no I got the wrong seats! Oh no! All of my life choices are brought in to question!

I cannot wait to absorb the hate of goons when I buy an E46 M with the SMG trans.
vvv Not only do I want SMG If I find a good Phoenix Yellow one it would be hard to not buy it. A color that mental has to be loved. vvv

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 16, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I would agree with you based on the thought of buying the car new from the dealership. In the realm of pre-owned you will compromise a lot more on desired attributes. I bought and E36 M3 luxury. That means no I got the wrong seats! Oh no! All of my life choices are brought in to question!

I cannot wait to absorb the hate of goons when I buy an E46 M with the SMG trans.

I secretly (well not a secret any more) an E60 with an SMG. My left knee hurts on a pretty regular basis when the weather changes (a consistent basis in the midwest) and it makes it hard to own a car with a manual.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Sadi posted:

As for the auto bit, those twin clutch transmissions are pretty sweet from what Ive seen of them. I feel like a strong argument could be made that its only for silly emotional reasons people could want a clutch pedal. I mean the US market is the only place that is getting non DCTs in the M cars to my understanding.

That car is too early for a DCT if I recall.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I didn't even look inside my BMW before i bought it. I'm lucky it has a steering wheel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
DCT was only paired with the N54 on the 1M as far as I'm aware. His care is just a regular six speed AT.

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

It IS supposedly an awesome slushbox though.

C&D posted:

...the 335i's ZF-sourced six-speed automatic is among the world's very best transmissions, and we can't heap enough praise on it. Responsive and quick to act, it is the perfect autobox for this kind of car. In normal automatic mode, shifts are virtually invisible, but the character changes dramatically when prompted. Deputy editor Dave VanderWerp says, "Full-throttle downshifts are quite severe, but to me, that's fine when I'm pushing the pedal all the way to the floor. The automatic generally does a single multigear kickdown instead of stopping off at other ratios along the way." We also noted snappy rev-matching throttle blips when downshifting using the manumatic function (or paddles), and in the sport-shift mode, it eagerly takes the liberty of automatically downshifting during braking to set you higher in the meat of the power band whenever your right foot returns to the other pedal.

Jealous. The E92 styling makes my knees wobble - esp. pre-facelift 335's when the front overhang was shorter. And I think the M3's baubles kinda wreck it. <ducking>

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Viper_3000 posted:

Charge it and take it to an auto parts store. They can test both the battery and the alternator in one shot. Hopefully you just got a bum battery that doesn't hold a charge. I'm not sure if this is an issue on e39s but on e46's the voltage regulator tends to go bad, but I don't think your symptoms match up. Still, check that out by making sure you see 14v at the battery terminals while the car is running.

Removed the charger, had 12.8v, Started it on the charger, then removed the charger and had ~12.6v, turned on the headlights, heated seats (2), heated wheel and was bouncing around from 10.1-11.8v, car sounded progressively more anemic until I shut it off and put it back on the charger.

I should have been seeing at least 12.8, probably closer to 13.6 or 14.2 with it on, and at least 13 with it under load right? Blegh.

Is the voltage regulator part of the alternator or a separate unit of the electrical system?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If its anything like the ZF in my 550i, it is a bad rear end transmission. Plus the transmission is used in lots of other cars, and has been reported as being reliable.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Did you have a lot of trouble with the nav on your late model BMW? Or are you just spewing bullshit because you saw a bit about it on top gear. There's nothing wrong with idrive so stop being an rear end in a top hat about it. And not everyone wants to drive a manual car. It's hard to believe that the auto in the 335s are as good as they are, but once you drive one it's readily apparently that they shift incredibly quickly and smoothly.

S.W.G.: congrats on the 335! They're stupidly fun to drive and look amazing.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
As a while-I'm-in there kinda thing, I'm thinking of oil pan baffles as well since the pan will be off for the nut. Anyone have any recommendations? They aren't too expensive, so I'm eying the VAC one. Thoughts?

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004

sofullofhate posted:

Beautiful car- hope you continue to love it. :)

Thanks.

The auto vs. manual debate is fine. I went with an auto because I spend an hour a day in stop and go. I've spent the last 15 years driving a stick, everything from DSMs to Subarus to Fords. poo poo gets old and it was just time for some left leg rest.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004

Stealth Like posted:

Did you have a lot of trouble with the nav on your late model BMW? Or are you just spewing bullshit because you saw a bit about it on top gear. There's nothing wrong with idrive so stop being an rear end in a top hat about it. And not everyone wants to drive a manual car. It's hard to believe that the auto in the 335s are as good as they are, but once you drive one it's readily apparently that they shift incredibly quickly and smoothly.

S.W.G.: congrats on the 335! They're stupidly fun to drive and look amazing.

This is entirely true, bench racing aside there's no way I could ever heel toe or hit a shift as fast the auto does. It's nothing compared to say, the new DCT in the S5's (which is basically like a video game), but the power doesn't ever get interrupted. It's fast and smooth enough that you lose the impression of speed from off gas-clutch-gas sensation with a manual.

It's also the iDrive revision, so there's that.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

When I got my 335 I was disappointed it was an auto. Then after a week of driving it I realized how silly a notion that was. I'll take dual modes and paddle shifters any day over a stick and clutch. Unless it's going to be used on a track, and even then I'm not so sure.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Removed the charger, had 12.8v, Started it on the charger, then removed the charger and had ~12.6v, turned on the headlights, heated seats (2), heated wheel and was bouncing around from 10.1-11.8v, car sounded progressively more anemic until I shut it off and put it back on the charger.

I should have been seeing at least 12.8, probably closer to 13.6 or 14.2 with it on, and at least 13 with it under load right? Blegh.

Is the voltage regulator part of the alternator or a separate unit of the electrical system?

Yes, you should probably be seeing at least 13v, closer to 14 is better. Double check your ground cable for funsies before you look elsewhere. You are correct, the voltage regulator is part of the alternator, here is a rebuild of one. At close to $90 I'd save myself the hassle and just get a rebuilt one so you just have to pull a few bolts and a belt off instead of rebuilding the thing. Especially if it's your daily driver. I'd do some googling just to be sure, I'm an e46 guy, and I could be slightly off base.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Nice looking 335 S.W.G. it'll be a fun car for sure. Although I'm firmly in the manual for life camp there are days when I'm driving home from work at 2 mph and I just want to get out and abandon the car.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In other news I'm ordering the Ground Control coilover kit for the M3 tomorrow. I'm so excited to stare at them everyday for the next few months until it's warm enough to work in the garage and take it out of storage. Also ordered a CAI from Turner and I'll be picking up the Scorpion exhaust from Bavauto soon. Finally got around to nabbing the driver side wheel well liner as well so hopefully that will resolve the horrible scraping noise during hard right turns.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Viper_3000 posted:

Yes, you should probably be seeing at least 13v, closer to 14 is better. Double check your ground cable for funsies before you look elsewhere. You are correct, the voltage regulator is part of the alternator, here is a rebuild of one. At close to $90 I'd save myself the hassle and just get a rebuilt one so you just have to pull a few bolts and a belt off instead of rebuilding the thing. Especially if it's your daily driver. I'd do some googling just to be sure, I'm an e46 guy, and I could be slightly off base.

Ok thanks, looks like I have a swap to do tomorrow night. Fortunately my commute is only 3 miles each way, easy bike ride in mild Texas weather until I can sort this out...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
For what it's worth, I had the same kind of symptoms on my E30 when the alternator took a poo poo. Performance was fine and all, but I was cruising down the highway when the battery light popped on. Then I noticed that the rest of the warning lights would come on when I would drop below 3kRPM. Pulled off at the next exit and as soon as I dropped below 2k the whole shebang died.

Pulled the alt and replaced it, car cranked fine with a jump and it merrily went on until that minivan pulled out in front of me.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Viper_3000 posted:

I get why people like a manual in these cars, but I can honestly say that if you commute in it daily in a large city, I can't fault anyone for buying an auto. I know there have been countless times in the past 8 months that I wish I wasn't having to work a clutch in 5mph traffic monday thru friday, and I live in Nashville. If I lived in LA or Atlanta there's no way I'd drive stick.

I don't know if this is a feature or what, but my 330xi would happily idle along in first gear without stalling in heavy traffic. After I found out about this little feature I very rarely needed to clutch in Vancouver stop and go traffic.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Backov posted:

I don't know if this is a feature or what, but my 330xi would happily idle along in first gear without stalling in heavy traffic. After I found out about this little feature I very rarely needed to clutch in Vancouver stop and go traffic.

This is how you play the traffic game with a manual right here.

The only issue is that all the idiots become enraged if you have more than 6 feet of space between you and the next car and will cut you off at every opportunity.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Backov posted:

If my 323 would do this I would be SO HAPPY.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Viper_3000 posted:

or Atlanta there's no way I'd drive stick.
:crossarms: I commute 120 miles round trip into downtown ATL every day with either an e46 or an e30. Atlanta traffic is so frantic that just leaving it in second and giving yourself 3 car lengths
A) pisses the people behind you off to no end
and
B) is most assuredly the most stress free way to get around the Grady curve and past the Spring Connector/400 interchange.

(I don't want to think about Spaghetti Junction except for the 45 minutes I spend there every day)

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
I have a weird problem that maybe you guys can help with. My 2010 e90 got a flat this weekend. No big deal, when I replaced the run flats with standard tires I bought a spare. I'm getting the tire patched today. My issue is that I didn't get any kind of tpms warning. Shouldn't I get an error message on my console if the sensor has failed? Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this? Googling is useless because of everyone trying to figure out why their light is on, when I have the opposite problem.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Viper_3000 posted:

If my 323 would do this I would be SO HAPPY.

Is there something wrong with your car? Most, if not all, cars should be able to keep them self rolling without any throttle input.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Ziploc posted:

Is there something wrong with your car? Most, if not all, cars should be able to keep them self rolling without any throttle input.

I take it you have never driven a slow economy car? My 330ci would roll no problem, but a corolla/civic/etc will not, not enough power. It will usually shudder and stall out unless you add some throttle.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
my eta rolls foward at 3-4 mph in idle, it's not exactly a speed demon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SuperDucky posted:

:crossarms: I commute 120 miles round trip into downtown ATL every day with either an e46 or an e30. Atlanta traffic is so frantic that just leaving it in second and giving yourself 3 car lengths
A) pisses the people behind you off to no end
and
B) is most assuredly the most stress free way to get around the Grady curve and past the Spring Connector/400 interchange.

(I don't want to think about Spaghetti Junction except for the 45 minutes I spend there every day)

I leave a lot of room in the front in any slow situation. It's the only space you can control and having lots of room there ends up speeding everyone else up no matter how angry people get. If you ride someone's bumper the whole way, everything they do, you end up doing only exaggerated. There's a video on youtube that shows this. It's a bunch of people driving around in a circle and despite everyone going the same speed, someone will eventually screw up and accordion everyone up. Giving yourself space allows you to react more gracefully to anything the car in front does and allows people to merge over.

Just keep on doing what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I leave a lot of room in the front in any slow situation. It's the only space you can control and having lots of room there ends up speeding everyone else up no matter how angry people get. If you ride someone's bumper the whole way, everything they do, you end up doing only exaggerated. There's a video on youtube that shows this. It's a bunch of people driving around in a circle and despite everyone going the same speed, someone will eventually screw up and accordion everyone up. Giving yourself space allows you to react more gracefully to anything the car in front does and allows people to merge over.

Just keep on doing what you're doing.

Yeah but I want to be 10 feet closer to my destination.