Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I wasn't sold on Persona Q, but now that I've seen the Scooby Doo logo... I guess I'll need a 3DS.

Maybe we'll get a Vita port eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The more I look at the logo, the less it looks like Scooby Doo. There definitely is some Late 1960s/1970s styling in it, but Scooby Doo's logo isn't close.

The Bananna Splits on the other hand...

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Dehry posted:

The Bananna Splits on the other hand...

That bear rules.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

One persona, two persona, three persona, four
four personas make a bunch and so do many more

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Delsaber posted:

I wasn't sold on Persona Q, but now that I've seen the Scooby Doo logo... I guess I'll need a 3DS.

Maybe we'll get a Vita port eventually?

Given that none of the Etrian Odyssey games ever made their way to PSP/Vita, it's pretty unlikely that Persona Q is going to be ported.

E: Not because of any particular feature of the 3/DS, but Persona Q is running on a modified EO4 engine. Strange Journey was probably DS-exclusive for a similar reason.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 12, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, one of the main draws of the Etrian Odyssey series is being able to make your own map on the bottom screen as you explore the dungeons. Kind of hard to do that without the DS's split screen gimmick. Not saying it's impossible, mind you, but it probably just isn't worth the effort of figuring out how to adapt that feature to the Vita.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Does anyone know if Persona Q is going to take place in the same continuity as the fighting games? Or has that not been talked about yet?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

Does anyone know if Persona Q is going to take place in the same continuity as the fighting games? Or has that not been talked about yet?

The fighting games aren't alternate continuity.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Instant Grat posted:

We argued about on the last page!

Short of doing some super generous handwaving Q will probably not be a "real" part of the continuity.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 12, 2013

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It's in Super Special Spinoff canon where nothing matters, everything is permitted, and any series that stays there eventually meets the Harlem Globetrotters. I really hope SEES/the IIT meet the Harlem Globetrotters. Also that Minako exists. However these have about the same likelyhood apparently.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

projecthalaxy posted:

It's in Super Special Spinoff canon where nothing matters, everything is permitted, and any series that stays there eventually meets the Harlem Globetrotters. I really hope SEES/the IIT meet the Harlem Globetrotters. Also that Minako exists. However these have about the same likelyhood apparently.

Maybe you'll get to see a gray blur when walking down the dungeons, hitting every wall and every door at the QUICKEST speed.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My favorite part about all this time travel stuff is being able to see Shinjiro again. I never thought he would be in another game, I really like that guy.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So, I finally picked up Strange Journey and I'm totally hooked. It has some nice dungeons and I don't mind some the leniency they give players in the beginning. I also like they fact that they went straight up scifi with SJ instead of the cyberpunk and fantasy setting in older SMT games. I heard that SMT4 goes back to the fantasy and cyberpunk, though from what I've seen of it, it seems to have struck a nice balance with everything.

Any word on the SMT4 EU release or can I play the US version on an EU 3DS? I don't mind importing it later if they never end up releasing it in EU/UK.

I think I'll move onto Nocturne after finishing SMTSJ.

Also, was this ever translated or will it forever be only accessible to those who understand glorious nihon language?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
3DS games are all region locked, so unless you have a US 3DS, you (and me) are poo poo out of luck :(

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

uncleKitchener posted:

Any word on the SMT4 EU release or can I play the US version on an EU 3DS? I don't mind importing it later if they never end up releasing it in EU/UK.

There's no word yet (unless something changed in the last few days), and no, you can't. Nintendo in their ultimate wisdom have decided to introduce region coding to handhelds with the 3DS for some godawful reason and I'm massively pissed off about it. My DS library is a good mixture of EU and US games (and at least one Japanese one) and now it feels like console gaming in the nineties again. Except that back then you could mod your console and play imports anyway.

Anyway, have fun with SJ. I'm kind of surprised that people here don't seem to be that excited about it. Maybe it's just because I'm a sucker for dungeon crawlers, but I've had tons of fun with it. Considering how you can reduce random encounters a lot later on and do other things to modify the crawling experience I don't mind the dungeon layouts at all.

To me, it also proved that Shoji Meguro is one of the best and most versatile composers in the industry. It may not have as many memorable songs as, say, Persona 4, but it's great that he can write a coherent and appropriate soundtrack without any J-Pop or wailing guitars. And the main battle theme is fantastic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's been something like three years since Nintendo announced region locking the 3DS how are people not over it yet?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Len posted:

It's been something like three years since Nintendo announced region locking the 3DS how are people not over it yet?

It continues to be stupid. The new consoles that just came out are both region free too.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I gave Strange Journey a try for the first dungeon and I loved the heck out of the ambience, the soft sci fi bullshit, and how true it is to the name of "Strange Journey" by making it so you have to explore and investigate your heart out.

But the combat system was boring me to tears and I know I'm not going to find the later sectors fun at all so I figured it wasn't worth getting it for real.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Rushputin posted:

There's no word yet (unless something changed in the last few days), and no, you can't. Nintendo in their ultimate wisdom have decided to introduce region coding to handhelds with the 3DS for some godawful reason and I'm massively pissed off about it. My DS library is a good mixture of EU and US games (and at least one Japanese one) and now it feels like console gaming in the nineties again. Except that back then you could mod your console and play imports anyway.

Anyway, have fun with SJ. I'm kind of surprised that people here don't seem to be that excited about it. Maybe it's just because I'm a sucker for dungeon crawlers, but I've had tons of fun with it. Considering how you can reduce random encounters a lot later on and do other things to modify the crawling experience I don't mind the dungeon layouts at all.

To me, it also proved that Shoji Meguro is one of the best and most versatile composers in the industry. It may not have as many memorable songs as, say, Persona 4, but it's great that he can write a coherent and appropriate soundtrack without any J-Pop or wailing guitars. And the main battle theme is fantastic.

I think most of the hate comes from the demon co-op system. Thematically it's one of the best SMT games and the DS is a great platform for a first person dungeon crawler, but the problem comes in because the main tactical element of other SMT games (hitting weaknesses in order to gain the huge potential advantage of taking another turn) is replaced with just doing a bit more damage. Also IIRC while the early dungeons are generally fair and straightforward the endgame ones tend to be full of aggravating bullshit.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Demon Co-Op would not be so bad if it didn't punish you for diversifying with your Demon roster.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

TK-31 posted:

Demon Co-Op would not be so bad if it didn't punish you for diversifying with your Demon roster.
And, by extension, if it didn't punish you for not diversifying your roster for the final (Neutral?) boss.

Microcline posted:

while the early dungeons are generally fair and straightforward the endgame ones tend to be full of aggravating bullshit.
This was another reason I didn't like it very much, but I know some people are into that sort of thing.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It continues to be stupid. The new consoles that just came out are both region free too.

That, and SMT4 is just a perfect example for just why it's stupid. It's a game whose potential buyers are probably more aware of international release dates on average than those of other titles and it's taking ages to get to Europe, with no information on a release date forthcoming. As long as there's still a huge gap between regional releases for anything but the most major titles, going back to region locking devices just comes over as really regressive. Hell, on the DS lots of games (including SJ and several Etrian Odysseys) never made it here at all, but at least you didn't have to buy a seperate US DS if you did want to play them.

As for the reasons people dislike Strange Journey - fair enough. I guess one reason I have no problems with it is that I respond really well to handheld RPGs (I think I broke my previous record for longest time spent on a game that's not Nethack or Civilization three times with DS and PSP games) and I liked the sheer amount of recruitable demons. Doesn't SMT4 have an even more absurd number of them? Boy, I sure wish I could just play it already! :shrug:

(Also I'll forgive them a tiny bit if they include the DLC with the EU release as an apology because gently caress that poo poo.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That's nice for the new consoles. It's been something like three years if it was going to change it would have. We get it, you don't like the region locking. I don't like how lovely Walmart pays but I don't mention it in every thread I possibly can.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Rushputin posted:

To me, it also proved that Shoji Meguro is one of the best and most versatile composers in the industry.

Shoji Meguro and Akira Yamaoka are constantly battling for first place in my head.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Can the Harlem Globetrotters please be the protagonists of P5?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Len posted:

That's nice for the new consoles. It's been something like three years if it was going to change it would have. We get it, you don't like the region locking. I don't like how lovely Walmart pays but I don't mention it in every thread I possibly can.

Are you in the US? Maybe you don't appreciate how big a deal region locking is. It continues to be relevant every time it affects a new release. (P4A, SMT4)
We're going to continue bringing it up until it goes away, so you better get used to it.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Is there any way that I can track down a copy of SMT: Nocturne on some format even though I don't have a PS2 anymore? I am slightly embarrassed to admit my introduction to these amazing games only came last year with P4: Golden and this year with SMT:IV. I have no idea how I overlooked the SMT games in my supremely nerdy teen years.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Captain Mog posted:

Is there any way that I can track down a copy of SMT: Nocturne on some format even though I don't have a PS2 anymore? I am slightly embarrassed to admit my introduction to these amazing games only came last year with P4: Golden and this year with SMT:IV. I have no idea how I overlooked the SMT games in my supremely nerdy teen years.

You could always try running PCSX2 and emulating it. It won't be perfect emulation, but it's probably the best option outside of buying a PS2 or a backwards compatible PS3.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ChaosArgate posted:

You could always try running PCSX2 and emulating it. It won't be perfect emulation, but it's probably the best option outside of buying a PS2 or a backwards compatible PS3.

I ran it with no issues using PCSX2. It looked quite sharp as well with 4x the resolution. It was much better then native PS2 connected to LED TV.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

The_Frag_Man posted:

Are you in the US? Maybe you don't appreciate how big a deal region locking is. It continues to be relevant every time it affects a new release. (P4A, SMT4)
We're going to continue bringing it up until it goes away, so you better get used to it.

SMT IV you can't do anything about as that's 3DS issue in general. Now, P4A just shouldn't have happened. The main worry was simultaneous release and Japanese Voice/Subs, but that's not an excuse.

On SJ: Loved the story/theme/etc.. but had to quit mid-game because of all the dungeon BS. I'd take SJ Overclocked with fixed dungeons and easy mode for 3DS.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 15, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

oblomov posted:

I ran it with no issues using PCSX2. It looked quite sharp as well with 4x the resolution. It was much better then native PS2 connected to LED TV.

I think there were some shadow issues right? Otherwise though yeah it almost looks like a PS3 game if you bump up the resolution. I Need to get back to playing Nocturne on PCSX2.

Also worth mentioning that you need a gaming-level computer to run PCSX2 and a lot of people might not have one. I don't know if the emulation has gotten easier since I first looked into it.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

I think there were some shadow issues right? Otherwise though yeah it almost looks like a PS3 game if you bump up the resolution. I Need to get back to playing Nocturne on PCSX2.

Also worth mentioning that you need a gaming-level computer to run PCSX2 and a lot of people might not have one. I don't know if the emulation has gotten easier since I first looked into it.

There were a few shadow issues, but not much really, didn't detract at all and you can play with PCSX2 settings to minimize that. From system standpoint, I ran it just fine with Ivy-Bridge i5 and AMD 6950, and that's pretty middle of the road (bit low on video even). I have Nvidia 770 now and haven't seen much difference. It really doesn't take a lot to run these games with improved hardware even at lower cost. No, I wouldn't attempt it on a laptop with built-in chipset, but even that is changing with Haswell, just drivers may not work for emulation well (haven't tried).

I've ran both this and P3 FES with no issues with Wide-Screen and 4x the res. Haven't tried DD or Raidou games yet, so YMMV on those. In general, I am using that instead of PS2 pretty much as standard now days (started replaying all those great PS2 RPGs I missed out as PC gamer).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

oblomov posted:

There were a few shadow issues, but not much really, didn't detract at all and you can play with PCSX2 settings to minimize that. From system standpoint, I ran it just fine with Ivy-Bridge i5 and AMD 6950, and that's pretty middle of the road (bit low on video even). I have Nvidia 770 now and haven't seen much difference. It really doesn't take a lot to run these games with improved hardware even at lower cost. No, I wouldn't attempt it on a laptop with built-in chipset, but even that is changing with Haswell, just drivers may not work for emulation well (haven't tried).

I've ran both this and P3 FES with no issues with Wide-Screen and 4x the res. Haven't tried DD or Raidou games yet, so YMMV on those. In general, I am using that instead of PS2 pretty much as standard now days (started replaying all those great PS2 RPGs I missed out as PC gamer).

For PCSX2 your processor does most of the heavy lifting, that's a lot more important than a new graphics card. I have an i5 that was even pre Ivy Bridge though (I think from 2010) and emulation works fine, it's just most laptops will probably not be capable of running it, unless they've made much bigger strides in a couple of years than I thought.

But hey the program is free so you might as well try! I even have a PS3 controller hooked up so it's really like you're playing on a PS2.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

For PCSX2 your processor does most of the heavy lifting, that's a lot more important than a new graphics card. I have an i5 that was even pre Ivy Bridge though (I think from 2010) and emulation works fine, it's just most laptops will probably not be capable of running it, unless they've made much bigger strides in a couple of years than I thought.

But hey the program is free so you might as well try! I even have a PS3 controller hooked up so it's really like you're playing on a PS2.

Quad-core systems are a lot more common now days and even dual-core ones are on slouch as long as you stay away from ultra low power CPUs. However, I doubt integrated card will do it though even though the software is more CPU then God dependant.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My PS2 died last year and I had to finish Digital Devil Saga emulating it in my lovely notebook with an integrated graphics card. It was fine once I got it configured properly, though I remember there were one or two problems with shadows but it wasn't anything remotely serious. Nocturne runs on a similar engine so it should be fine.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Len posted:

It's going to continue being an issue for as long as the 3DS is around. I had to order in a US 3DS because of it instead of buying one locally and I'm going to be reminded of it every time I have to mail order my games instead of just buying them in a store. Still beats not being able to play SMT4 at all, though.

If it makes you feel any better, the inconvenience you face reading about it is considerably less than the inconvenience faced by people who actually have to deal with it.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 16, 2013

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Xythar posted:

It's going to continue being an issue for as long as the 3DS is around. I had to order in a US 3DS because of it instead of buying one locally and I'm going to be reminded of it every time I have to mail order my games instead of just buying them in a store. Still beats not being able to play SMT4 at all, though.

If it makes you feel any better, the inconvenience you face reading about it is considerably less than the inconvenience faced by people who actually have to deal with it.

It is really inconvenient and at the same time it's not like there is a huge business reason for the lock as games are rarely multi-language, i.e. having both Japanese and US voices, for example. This screws Europeans all the time due to Atlus' "whats Europe" policies and screws most people in the West who want to import. Importing works great on Vita (ignoring the DLC), yet you have to have a dedicated 3DS for say Japan. That said, it's not going to change and this is here to stay for whatever god forsaken reason Nintendo comes up with for their shenanigans (hello GBA and DS games on 3DS VC).

Good thing is that 2DS is pretty cheap I guess and it's easy to import from US to EU (alongside SMT IV).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Too bad there's no Japanese 2DS yet.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was looking at that Mind Zero game, and saw this.

Yoichi Ogata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Otacon went through some career changes, it seems.