Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

ThirdPartyView posted:

Never dealt with sovereign citizens, eh? :v:

Nope. My experience with pro se litigants is limited to desperate foreclosure removals and habeas petitions. I haven't had one yet, although another judge had a sovereign citizen go to trial on burglary trials. The judge ended up trying him in absentia since he kept standing up in court and saying that he didn't consent to this court's improper joinder and all kinds of other nonsense.

I still maintain the next megathread should be titled "Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: Don't joinder me bro"

mikeraskol posted:

I never hear malpractice. Instead I live in mortal fear of clients, you can't leave out an affirmative defense because later if another joint defendant has it, the client starts asking why, goes to the most senior partner whose case it is, he goes to the actual partner dealing with the issue asking why he is getting poo poo from the client and what are you doing to my case, and then that partner goes to you and says why are you loving up and then I don't sleep at night as I dream of living in a cardboard box in Central Park.

The constant nagging feeling that you majorly hosed up is the best part about practicing law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Omerta posted:

The constant nagging feeling that you majorly hosed up is the best part about practicing law.

And given the number of partners I work with who start to get paranoid that they missed something when a case is going well (and therefore ask me to go back and take another look at everything), that nagging feeling never goes away.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Kalman posted:

And given the number of partners I work with who start to get paranoid that they missed something when a case is going well (and therefore ask me to go back and take another look at everything), that nagging feeling never goes away.

In my case, in genuinely has not. My work life pretty honestly consists of a 50/50 blend of absolutely hating what I do and not really giving a poo poo about it, but then forcing myself to try to do it anyway because I'm terrified I'll gently caress something up that will come back to haunt me.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

mikeraskol posted:

I never hear malpractice. Instead I live in mortal fear of clients, you can't leave out an affirmative defense because later if another joint defendant has it, the client starts asking why, goes to the most senior partner whose case it is, he goes to the actual partner dealing with the issue asking why he is getting poo poo from the client and what are you doing to my case, and then that partner goes to you and says why are you loving up and then I don't sleep at night as I dream of living in a cardboard box in Central Park.

Take heart! Soon, you'll actually be allowed to live in a cardboard box in Central Park without getting used for target practice by the NYPD (just kidding De Blasio won't change poo poo in that regard).

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Welp, I finally read the Sovereign Citizens movement Wikipedia entry and learned about the so-called missing 13th Amendment and the whole thing on why they don't recognize attorneys/the court. The only remaining question I have left is: what the hell is the whole fringe on flag thing?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

ThirdPartyView posted:

Welp, I finally read the Sovereign Citizens movement Wikipedia entry and learned about the so-called missing 13th Amendment and the whole thing on why they don't recognize attorneys/the court. The only remaining question I have left is: what the hell is the whole fringe on flag thing?

It's dumb and has something to do with how the law defining the official U.S. flag doesn't provide for gold fringe and therefore if you're in a courtroom and there's gold fringe on the flag you're really in some sort of foreign enclave/admiralty court/under martial law.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read this, thread, and thought of you

quote:

So you don’t want to pay your council rates, or your parking fines? If you live in Victoria, a bit of searching on the internet will provide you with what looks like a great solution: you don’t need to pay, because the Victorian Constitution is invalid. Anything that local councils do under its authority is invalid too. These arguments recently came before the High Court, not for the first time, in Rutledge v Victoria [2013] HCATrans 294 (Hayne J).

Mr Rutledge claimed that he wasn’t bound to pay his rates to the Greater Bendigo City Council, because the creation of the Council wasn’t properly authorised. In effect, the argument was that the Victorian Parliament couldn’t validly establish the Council, because the power it relied on was given by the Constitution Act 1975 (Vic), and that Act was invalid.

It’s not hard to see the appeal of arguments like these, at least until you look at the details. Arguments about constitutional validity turn up routinely in the news, and occasionally the courts do indeed overturn Acts of Parliament or government decisions on constitutional grounds. To the ordinary ratepayer, it’s not immediately apparent what the difference is between, on the one hand, arguments that the High Court has accepted in such cases as South Australia v Totani [2010] HCA 39 (the Finks Motorcycle Club case) and Williams v Commonwealth [2012] HCA 23 (the school chaplains case) and, on the other, the arguments put forward in Rutledge and similar cases.

The arguments in the cases vary greatly, but they have some common elements. Among them is a belief that somewhere there’s a legal argument that will, like a magic key, remove the burdens that the parties are suffering under, whether they are rates, taxes, bankruptcy or anything else that the state demands of its citizens. It’s as if the key can be found by anyone who carefully studies legal sources for themselves, and it can be made to work by formulating documents with the right permutations of legal terminology.

The magical element in all this is its detachment from the way law actually works, and from the kinds of legal action that could conceivably give the challengers the outcomes they want. Some of the arguments are more like spells or random combinations of legal words and phrases than statements the courts are able to act on. But they are a window into the way law is perceived, not by lawyers, but by some of the people who live under it.

http://blogs.unimelb.edu.au/opinionsonhigh/2013/12/16/waugh-rutledge/#more-3253

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
I have my character and fitness interview for the 4th Dept. in NY on Wednesday. I guess they're just hoarding us all in one place at 9:30. Should I expect to be waiting around all day or are these usually quick? I honestly know nothing about them because all I care about is burning another $375.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Solid Lizzie posted:

I have my character and fitness interview for the 4th Dept. in NY on Wednesday. I guess they're just hoarding us all in one place at 9:30. Should I expect to be waiting around all day or are these usually quick? I honestly know nothing about them because all I care about is burning another $375.

At least for Albany, they took people in order of arrival. The interviews only take ten minutes or so, so I would recommend getting there a little bit early so you're at the front of the line for interviews and get out that much sooner.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
*2 Driftwood Crips 10-5-0 1580.48
*3 Southern Ivy 10-5-0 1579.90

:staredog:

Dreading any stat adjustments.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Had our annual performance reviews yesterday...

Still not fired! Woo! (Though apparently I can only communicate in writing, not orally)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

*2 Driftwood Crips 10-5-0 1580.48
*3 Southern Ivy 10-5-0 1579.90

:staredog:

Dreading any stat adjustments.

It would really hurt your chances if you dropped to the third seed, you'd lose the home-field advantage.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Four Finger Wu posted:

It depends if he wants to make a gift to his business partner at death or just give the partner the right to acquire the shares on exchange for paying something to his estate.

If he wants to leave a gift he can just make a specific gift of the shares in his revocable trust or will (however he is disposing of his assets)

If he wants his no good nephew or whoever else is the residual beneficiary of his estate to at least get some cake even if they aren't getting the shares, then he should enter into a buy sell agreement with his partner or grant the partner an option to buy his shares at death.

This is the kind of thing that a trust and estate attorney can usually handle if they have a teeny bit of sophistication. Perhaps look for an ACTEC member in your area . They are generally pretty good or at least know some other people to ask about tricky problems.
Thanks dude, very helpful.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Arcturas posted:

Had our annual performance reviews yesterday...

Still not fired! Woo! (Though apparently I can only communicate in writing, not orally)

Surprise, you're a goon.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So I have an interview tomorrow for a great position! Only problem is that it's unpaid.

But here's the thing - my school has a "transition to practice" program where they'll pay you, $10 an hour, 25 hours a week, to work somewhere as long as you're looking for permanent work!

So if I get this job, not only do I get a sweet $1,000 a month salary, I'm pretty sure I'm eligible for food stamps. Free food? Heck yes!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Direwolf posted:

So I have an interview tomorrow for a great position! Only problem is that it's unpaid.

But here's the thing - my school has a "transition to practice" program where they'll pay you, $10 an hour, 25 hours a week, to work somewhere as long as you're looking for permanent work!

So if I get this job, not only do I get a sweet $1,000 a month salary, I'm pretty sure I'm eligible for food stamps. Free food? Heck yes!

Let me guess it lasts for nine months and one day.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

evilweasel posted:

Let me guess it lasts for nine months and one day.

It actually lasts for only 3 barring "special circumstances". I have other PI friends who've used it to survive into real employment so it's a decent program.

Also just found out that if you have any savings at all you can't get food stamps. So I can't get free food, oh well!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: Literally Discussing Food Stamps ITT

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I interview with district court tomorrow. Wish me luck in my escape from claimant's work/litigation sweatshop.

PS, if I get the job a new position will open up in a litigation sweatshop that pays substantially more than $10 per hour. But you don't get to be an attorney.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My litigation sweatshop just announced 401k matches and any merit raises will not happen all of 2014. At least I get health insurance and pto unlike some rival firms I guess...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd prefer 40k matches...

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I lurk this thread because I was on the "Well I like writing and I like arguing so I may as well go to law school :haw:" track many moons ago so it's like seeing what might have been. However, a friend of mine told me he was going to law school and I tried to share your wisdom but he insisted he was going to work in the exciting and rapidly growing field of video game/internet law after he graduated from his law school ranked in the 100s.

Started off barrister, ended up Best Buy Sales Consultant.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Direwolf posted:

Aug '10:

Direwolf posted:

So, second day of orientation and I believe I've been told about 10 times in each activity that I will be learning to Think Like A Lawyer! I must admit, I'm a little bit nervous about the complete paradigm shift that's about to occur, but at least I know my $200,000 isn't going down the drain!

Has your perspective changed somewhat after these three years? Do you think like a lawyer now?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

zzyzx posted:

*shrug* I'm having fun. It's like junior high on steroids, really. :)

I want to talk to him. I want to try to talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Zo posted:

Aug '10:

Has your perspective changed somewhat after these three years? Do you think like a lawyer now?

Posts like these are top posts. I love them.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Zo posted:

Aug '10:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have certain perspective shifts, but they mostly come from my mediation course and working as a mediator.

I don't regret my decision to go to law school, though. I've been able to do some fantastic things in the work that I've done so far, and everything that's gone wrong has gone wrong because I don't speak Spanish, not because my degree hasn't been worth it. Sorry law thread, still not a cynic.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Burn the witch, burn the witch.

Gearing up for another stab at the Louisiana bar exam, gently caress everything.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Direwolf posted:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have certain perspective shifts, but they mostly come from my mediation course and working as a mediator.

I don't regret my decision to go to law school, though. I've been able to do some fantastic things in the work that I've done so far, and everything that's gone wrong has gone wrong because I don't speak Spanish, not because my degree hasn't been worth it. Sorry law thread, still not a cynic.

Don't regret going to law school, not a cynic, going on food stamps.

Just making sure I understand your position.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Walamor posted:

Don't regret going to law school, not a cynic, going on food stamps.

Just making sure I understand your position.

Denied for food stamps.

This thread owns.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm an attorney by day, running my own law firm. But by night I deliver pizzas for Pizza Hut. I'm like some sort of reverse Batman.

Oh yes, this mortgage in student loans was definitely worth it.

PS I can't wait for the day when I end up delivering a pizza to one of my clients.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 18, 2013

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Direwolf posted:

Are you still in Chicago or did you move to wherever the hell it was you were planning on going after law school?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Direwolf posted:

Good god, you're the loving Squeaky Fromme of law students.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Got recommended to take the oath in January. Hoooraaaay ... pooooooor....

quote:

exciting and rapidly growing field of video game/internet law after he graduated from his law school ranked in the 100s.
Ha! Ha. I wish 'video game law' was a thing. I took Elder Law this one time - totally about Skyrim.

Solid Lizzie fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 18, 2013

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Eldar law?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Tzeentch would be the best attorney. Fiddles with agreements constantly, doesn't mind a good scrap, and even when he screws up it just makes more business for him in the future.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

HiddenReplaced posted:

Are you still in Chicago or did you move to wherever the hell it was you were planning on going after law school?

Moved. Moving again soon, temporarily and then either to Guam or NYC/DC depending. Chicago's ok but not my scene.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Solid Lizzie posted:

Ha! Ha. I wish 'video game law' was a thing. I took Elder Law this one time - totally about Skyrim.

My University offers Secession Law, do you think that's like Crusader Kings?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can probably get a good practice going suing people in real court that cheated people out of gold or promises of virtual marriage in Wow and or Eve and or whatever video game people waste time and money on. The next level of realism, adjudication!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Elephanthead posted:

You can probably get a good practice going suing people in real court that cheated people out of gold or promises of virtual marriage in Wow and or Eve and or whatever video game people waste time and money on. The next level of realism, adjudication!

Also, Leonard J. Crabs is bound to retire at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Wrote my last law exam ever today :unsmith:

Now just a 1 semester practicum and then articling and then woo i'll be a lawyer :unsmith: