Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

Got a link or more detail on this?

Thanks

Microsoft 12 days of Deals
Available tomorrow at 10am EST online at the Microsoft store or at any retail Microsoft Store at opening time

First 20 at retail stores get it for $30, probably the first 200 online purchases

After that it jumps to $70 for the rest of the day or until they run out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Thanks.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I've been having a problem lately with my SP2, where it will wake from sleep even with the cover shut, and no one around and just run with 'system' using 15-20% of the cpu constantly without ever putting itself to sleep again. After digging around I finally was able to find out a bit more about it, and how to prevent it, in case anyone else is having this problem. It looks to be the case that if you keep an microSD card installed at all times, it will do this. Restarting it will fix it briefly, but it will start again soon enough after its been put to sleep etc. The really odd thing is it looks like some interplay between the sound drivers/hardware and microsd card, because the solution to fix the problem... at least until you restart it... is so stupid. You can just load up the music app, play a song, then stop the song, and bam... no more cpu over usage by 'system'. The other option is just to not keep an SD card in the machine for now.

I found the solution to this in a thread on microsoft's message board, so hopefully this means a solution will be coming soon. So if anyone is having issues where their SP2 feels hot when just web browsing, or when you pick it up after you set it down hours ago and its hot, this is probably the reason.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ShadowStalker posted:

Microsoft 12 days of Deals
Available tomorrow at 10am EST online at the Microsoft store or at any retail Microsoft Store at opening time

First 20 at retail stores get it for $30, probably the first 200 online purchases

After that it jumps to $70 for the rest of the day or until they run out

Just fyi it looks like the only jumped to $50 as the sale price, which is still pretty decent.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Maneki Neko posted:

Just fyi it looks like the only jumped to $50 as the sale price, which is still pretty decent.

I checked the store around 10:30 EST and it was still $30, so I went ahead and got it. Looked like about 20 minutes later or so it was up to $50.

I would love to use Xbox Music exclusively. I have my desktop, a Surface Pro 2, and a Windows Phone. It's just such a shame that it still kind of sucks. I want to match as much music to their service as possible, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do this en masse. Their matching also seems to blow. I have three artist names for the same artist (The Anti-Nowhere League, Anti-Nowhere League, Anti Nowhere League) and this is all after matching. I read that they're going to incorporate Gracenote, I really hope that improves things.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Tom Guycot posted:

I've been having a problem lately with my SP2, where it will wake from sleep even with the cover shut, and no one around and just run with 'system' using 15-20% of the cpu constantly without ever putting itself to sleep again. After digging around I finally was able to find out a bit more about it, and how to prevent it, in case anyone else is having this problem. It looks to be the case that if you keep an microSD card installed at all times, it will do this. Restarting it will fix it briefly, but it will start again soon enough after its been put to sleep etc. The really odd thing is it looks like some interplay between the sound drivers/hardware and microsd card, because the solution to fix the problem... at least until you restart it... is so stupid. You can just load up the music app, play a song, then stop the song, and bam... no more cpu over usage by 'system'. The other option is just to not keep an SD card in the machine for now.

I found the solution to this in a thread on microsoft's message board, so hopefully this means a solution will be coming soon. So if anyone is having issues where their SP2 feels hot when just web browsing, or when you pick it up after you set it down hours ago and its hot, this is probably the reason.

THANK YOU.

Seriously. I was wondering what was waking up my SP2 even after the firmware update.

I would come back to my machine after an hour or two and it would be almost dead even though I had put it to sleep prior to setting it down. My solution was to shut it down every time I was through with using it but this is more practical until Microsoft issues a fix.

Edit: Do you have a link to the thread?

nolen fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 15, 2013

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

nolen posted:

THANK YOU.

Seriously. I was wondering what was waking up my SP2 even after the firmware update.

I would come back to my machine after an hour or two and it would be almost dead even though I had put it to sleep prior to setting it down. My solution was to shut it down every time I was through with using it but this is more practical until Microsoft issues a fix.

poo poo, I had the same problem and was going to dig in to it today. Glad I checked here first. Ever since the update last week my battery would always die, like it wasn't going in to standby when closed, which looks like is exactly what was happening.

This is not only annoying but potentially dangerous to the tablet - yesterday it happened to my SP2 when it was inside its slipcover, inside my backpack. It was almost too hot to hold when I took it out.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
So I ended up returning the type cover 2 back to the store after a week of use. I really like it when it works but I have been having a lot of weird keys registering twice and the cursor jumping around errors. It also picks up dirt like a motherfucker.

What are my options for cheap small bluetooth keyboards? I want something as small as possible while being comfortable to type on. Something the size of those small Apple iMac keyboards would be perfect.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
If you're Mr. Moneybags, Fujitsu just opened orders on their semi-rugged tablet.

Fujitsu STYLISTIC Q584 Tablet PC ($876 for the 64 GB base model)

:siren: Includes Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013 but only when you select 'Windows 8.1 (MUI) 32-bit (ENERGY STAR® qualified includes Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2013 MUI (32-bit) and Windows 8.1 HDD Recovery' in customized options on the site :siren:

- Waterproof (tested for IPX5/7/8 specifications)
- Dustproof (tested for IP5X specification)
- Resistant to alcohol-based wipes
- Durable chemically strengthened glass display, MIL-STD tested

- 10.51 x 7.12 x 0.39 inches, 1.4 pounds
- 10.1” HD WQXGA Display (2560 x 1600) 400 nit brightness
- Active digitizer and capacitive touch panel
- Intel Bay Trail Atom Z3770 Quad Core 1.46 GHz Processor (up to 2.39 GHz)
- 4 GB of RAM
- Up to 11 hours
- 2-megapixel front camera and 8-megapixel back camera, dual mics
- Proprietary charger (not USB :()
- Bluetooth 4.0, USB 3.0, MicroUSB, Fingerprint reader

Upgrades:
- Smart Card shell with VESA attachment points
- 128 GB eMMC Flash Memory
- Near Field Communication
- GPS Module
- Sierra Wireless AirPrime with GPS support (Verizon, AT&T)
- Sprint with GPS support available in 2014

Special Accessories:
Docking Cradle ($59)
Keyboard Cradle ($229)

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/stylistic-q584-tablet-pc#wf_productinfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHGuYfOXicw

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 15, 2013

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

keyframe posted:

So I ended up returning the type cover 2 back to the store after a week of use. I really like it when it works but I have been having a lot of weird keys registering twice and the cursor jumping around errors. It also picks up dirt like a motherfucker.

What are my options for cheap small bluetooth keyboards? I want something as small as possible while being comfortable to type on. Something the size of those small Apple iMac keyboards would be perfect.

Well the Apple keyboard itself is one option, it works fine with the Surface.

Though I'm surprised you didn't like the Type 2 - I really like the keys, and the last update made the trackpad semi-decent, though I usually stick with a BT mouse. Also never really noticed it picking up...dirt?

You sure you didn't have a bad unit?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Ixian posted:

Well the Apple keyboard itself is one option, it works fine with the Surface.

Though I'm surprised you didn't like the Type 2 - I really like the keys, and the last update made the trackpad semi-decent, though I usually stick with a BT mouse. Also never really noticed it picking up...dirt?

You sure you didn't have a bad unit?

I really liked the keys as well. Maybe I had a bad unit I don't know. I am going to try out a cheaper bluetooth keyboard for now since I don't to much typing on the surface anyway and I would like to save some money over the $150 type cover + $60 wireless add on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

If you're Mr. Moneybags, Fujitsu just opened orders on their semi-rugged tablet.

:siren: Includes Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013 but only when you select 'Windows 8.1 (MUI) 32-bit (ENERGY STAR® qualified includes Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2013 MUI (32-bit) and Windows 8.1 HDD Recovery' in customized options on the site :siren:

- Waterproof (tested for IPX5/7/8 specifications)
- Dustproof (tested for IP5X specification)
- Resistant to alcohol-based wipes
- Durable chemically strengthened glass display, MIL-STD tested

- 10.51 x 7.12 x 0.39 inches, 1.4 pounds
- 10.1” HD WQXGA Display (2560 x 1600) 400 nit brightness
- Active digitizer and capacitive touch panel
- Intel Bay Trail Atom Z3770 Quad Core 1.46 GHz Processor (up to 2.39 GHz)
- 4 GB of RAM
- Up to 11 hours
- 2-megapixel front camera and 8-megapixel back camera, dual mics
- Proprietary charger (not USB :()
- Bluetooth 4.0, USB 3.0, MicroUSB, Fingerprint reader

Upgrades:
- Smart Card shell with VESA attachment points
- Near Field Communication
- GPS Module
- Sierra Wireless AirPrime with GPS support (Verizon, AT&T)
- Sprint with GPS support available in 2014

Special Accessories:
Docking Cradle ($59)
Keyboard Cradle ($229)

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/stylistic-q584-tablet-pc#wf_productinfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHGuYfOXicw

That thing actually looks pretty awesome. I wonder if the dock is gigabit or just 100 megabit. Also it looks like the docking cradle is $129, not $59. [Edit: Weird, when you customize it, it says $50 for the dock. If you look at the accessories page it says $129.]

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

nolen posted:

THANK YOU.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...m=1387039689092

Here's where I found the solution. Over a day on and so far the silly fix of playing a song and stopping it, is still keeping the error from occurring unless I restart the machine. To be on the safe side for now, I'm probably going to just keep my SD card out of it until they issue a patch. That temporary solution just seems so stupid that i'm worried whatever is triggering it will get tripped again without me noticing. I really don't want to hear a strange noise, and realize its coming from my purse, because the SP2's fans are running like a jet and its hot to the touch.

edit:

Call Me Charlie posted:

This thing is really cool, and I almost considered waiting for it, instead of the SP2, but it was a tough call since its almost the same cost as one, but only has an atom processor (as capable as the new baytrail are, its no i5).

But eMMC? gently caress, for $900 bucks I would expect them to put an actual SSD in it, not something a $300 dollar atom tablet has. Surely there can't be a technical reason why baytrail can't have an SSD hooked up to it?

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 15, 2013

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

keyframe posted:

I am biased because every laptop I've ever owned has been a Thinkpad, but this Thinkpad compact bluetooth keyboard is amazing. I use it every day. It's very portable and the feel of the keys is great. I highly recommend it if you're willing to drop the coin on it since it is a little on the expensive side.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tom Guycot posted:

edit:

This thing is really cool, and I almost considered waiting for it, instead of the SP2, but it was a tough call since its almost the same cost as one, but only has an atom processor (as capable as the new baytrail are, its no i5).

But eMMC? gently caress, for $900 bucks I would expect them to put an actual SSD in it, not something a $300 dollar atom tablet has. Surely there can't be a technical reason why baytrail can't have an SSD hooked up to it?

Isn't it a size factor thing? I saw a video of them cracking open a Dell Venue 8 Pro and it looks like a standard SSD would be half the size of the motherboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6AMRy4di0s

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Isn't it a size factor thing? I saw a video of them cracking open a Dell Venue 8 Pro and it looks like a standard SSD would be half the size of the motherboard.

Do you mean as in a 2.5" drive? Those won't fit for sure but most devices this small tend to use SSDs with an mSATA slot in a Mini PCI Express form factor if they opt for a replaceable SSD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express_Mini_Card#Mini_PCI_Express_.26_mSATA

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

They can make SATA2 SSD's in smaller form factors than the 2.5 desktop drives - the Surface Pro 2 has one.

I think there actually is some limitation - real or otherwise - with the current Bay Trail platform and SATA2 vs. EMMC. Could just be a matter of cost.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I'm so confused! I've been thinking that I may be able to overcome the sheer ugliness of the device but the whole point would be to have a working stylus with OneNote.

Bad results from one person
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUcjiTX45X8

Good results from another (although he does have crazy neat handwriting)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANUYRzAwJQI
And I know in the UK there won't be any shops that are capable of having one to test out with a pen out, and god-forbid the firmware updated!

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
The Microsoft store is having a sale on the Dell XPS 12 with haswell for $800. Unfortunately it is only the 4gb ram and 128 ssd. Pretty decent reviews but no active digitizer.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-XPS-12-XPSU12-4668CRBFB-Touchscreen-2-in-1-Core-i5/productID.288325100

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
Unrelated, but some of you might be interested in a $38 7 inch Android tablet

http://ubislate.us/

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/12/16/a-full-featured-38-tablet-is-coming-to-the-u-s/

It's not a powerhouse by any measurement, but for that price it might be a good tablet to gently caress around with or to give as an affordable gift.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nah, no one is interested in that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That website looks like it would steal my credit card number.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Oz posted:

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/12/16/a-full-featured-38-tablet-is-coming-to-the-u-s/

It's not a powerhouse by any measurement, but for that price it might be a good tablet to gently caress around with or to give as an affordable gift.

If all you can afford as a gift is a $38 tablet, it's probably nicer to put $38 in a card with a note that says "I care about you enough to not give you a $38 tablet."

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Oz posted:

The Android tablet thread is over here where it belongs:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461482

This really has no relevance in the Windows 8.1 tablet thread. And if you can't afford even the 2012 Nexus 7 or Nook HD, then I'd reconsider your career or how you manage your finances.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I know I am reaching here but if I were to guess I will have to guess that a $39 tablet is probably really terrible.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Just read the article.

quote:

The $38 UbiSlate 7Ci tablet, running on Google’s Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system, features a 1-gigahertz , single-core processor (the sort of CPU found in the first-generation iPad introduced in 2010). Just 4 gigabytes of storage is built in, although microSD card slots are included for those looking for more space to store apps and media. The 7-inch display offers a resolution of 800×480 pixels, which is a far cry from the HD displays found on Apple’s iPads, Amazon’s Kindle Fire’s and Google’s Nexus devices.

It may be adequate for the price in India but it's absolute poo poo for anyone in a first world country that has a disposable income. I don't think even the performance optimizations in Kit-Kat would improve how well Android will run on that thing. I'm also worried about the lack of any specific mention of Google Play.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's a potential game changer.

VivoTab Note 8 with wacom digitizer for $299

quote:

Asus appears to be readying a new 8-inch Windows 8.1 tablet. While Dell and Lenovo have similar tablets on the market, Asus’ model may have one unique advantage: Wacom support. Mobile Geeks reports that the Asus VivoTab Note 8 is expected to include an 8-inch display at 1280 x 800 resolution with Wacom digitizer support and a stylus. It’s not clear if the stylus is optional, or whether it can be easily stored away, but some retail listings for the unreleased tablet mention Wacom compatibility. Mobile Geeks also notes that Asus’ tablet also includes Intel’s latest Bay Trail processor, 2GB of RAM, and 32GB or 64GB of storage options.

While the display isn’t high-resolution, if the Wacom support is accurate then this will be the first 8-inch Windows 8.1 tablet to ship with this type of digitizer. Dell’s Venue 8 Pro launched recently, but the 8-inch tablet uses a Synaptics digitizer with a battery-powered stylus. Other rumored specifications for Asus’ 8-inch tablet look fairly standard for this type of device, including a rear 5-megapixel camera and a micro-SD slot. A recent Microsoft presentation lists the Asus VivoTab Note 8 as a "holiday 2013" tablet that’s priced at just $299. A number of other tablets have launched ahead of the holiday season, but it’s possible Asus might be preparing to unveil this particular small Windows tablet at the Consumer Electronics Show in early January.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/18/5223016/asus-vivotab-note-8-wacom-tablet-rumor

quote:

Here the full specifications:
- Display: 8 inch IPS 1280 × 800 pixels
- Touch screen: capacitive, 10-finger touch, Wacom digitizer stylus (optional?)
- Operating system: Windows 8.1 with Microsoft Office 2013 home & student
- Processor: 1.33 to 1,86GHz Intel Atom Z3740 "Bay Trail" Quad SoC
- Memory: 2 GB
- Internal memory: 32 or 64 gigabytes
- Connections: MicroSD, MicroUSB, 3.5 mm audio
- Communication: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS
- Camera: 5 (rear side) and 1.2 megapixel (front)
- Sound: Stereo speakers and microphone
- Battery: 3950mAh, 15Wh
- Color: black
- Dimensions (Hxwxd): 220.9 x 133.8 x 10.95 mm.
- Weight: 380 g

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/18/5223016/asus-vivotab-note-8-wacom-tablet-rumor

That sounds great for the price - I just wish the screen resolution was a bit higher it only works out to 188 pixels per inch.

Which is lame.

I hope we're not going to see a situation like laptops where it required Intel to finally kick the OEMs into gear. I wanna see some higher range stuff!

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Call Me Charlie posted:

I love my eee Note from them. Even if the digitizer isn't the 1024 or 2048 levels, it will kill my immediate itch to buy a surface pro 2 and will let my daughter fully steal the eeenote from me.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Just got my Active Stylus for my Dell Venue 8 Pro.

What a loving joke of a disaster. Why didn't I listen? This piece of poo poo "phantom clicks" when i'm hovering... pretty much anywhere. I guess my next step is to tear it apart and see if there's any saving to it. It's a shame, too. The "active stylus" on my XT3 works brilliantly.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Nerdrock posted:

Just got my Active Stylus for my Dell Venue 8 Pro.

What a loving joke of a disaster. Why didn't I listen? This piece of poo poo "phantom clicks" when i'm hovering... pretty much anywhere. I guess my next step is to tear it apart and see if there's any saving to it. It's a shame, too. The "active stylus" on my XT3 works brilliantly.

Did you update the firmware?

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...n&categoryId=FW

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 19, 2013

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Yup. I'm all up to date. Even have yesterday's Ambient Light Sensor update.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I dont know whether to put this in the recommendations thread or this one. But I do need a Windows tablet. My mother in law is a realtor and as microsoft itself advertises on its website, only Inter Explorer can surf the big real estate exchange site known as MLX. So they specifically market their tablets to realtors. The absurdity of a website running solely on ActiveX (making it unusable on any other browser) aside, We'd like to get her a windows tablet-laptop hybrid for christmas. One of those ones where it can reasonably function as a laptop (good keyboard dock) and well as a tablet. Not too heavy either.

I was looking at the Lenovo Yoga Ideapads but they seem quite heavy. The Sony Duo looks good but is absurdly expensive. One which you can detach the keyboard completley might be ideal.

Any ideas?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'd be much more willing to do that if a) Windows 8 were designed to be used vertically in a sensible manner and b) the screen resolution were higher.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

I dont know whether to put this in the recommendations thread or this one. But I do need a Windows tablet. My mother in law is a realtor and as microsoft itself advertises on its website, only Inter Explorer can surf the big real estate exchange site known as MLX. So they specifically market their tablets to realtors. The absurdity of a website running solely on ActiveX (making it unusable on any other browser) aside, We'd like to get her a windows tablet-laptop hybrid for christmas. One of those ones where it can reasonably function as a laptop (good keyboard dock) and well as a tablet. Not too heavy either.

I was looking at the Lenovo Yoga Ideapads but they seem quite heavy. The Sony Duo looks good but is absurdly expensive. One which you can detach the keyboard completley might be ideal.

Any ideas?

T100 is pretty awesome and fills most of those requirements (it's light, long battery life, separates the top off, runs full windows), but it's keyboard is pretty hard to use for extended periods (IMO). Some people don't mind the keyboard.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gozinbulx posted:

Any ideas?

Depends how you're going to use it, but if it's laptop first/tablet second then the Yoga Pro is hard to beat for the price, although the Dell XPS 12 is also good.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hows the T100 vs the T300?

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Gozinbulx posted:

Hows the T100 vs the T300?
Do you mean the TF300? That's android and is also pretty old and very slow by this point.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
No I mean this:

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T300LA-DH51T-13-3-Inch-Detachable-Touchscreen/dp/B00EPGHAZ8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

The T300 is a laptop that can function as a tablet and will be infinitely more capable than the T100.

Honestly, I've been so spoiled by my Retina iPad, N5, and 2013 N7 that the screen on the T100 was almost unbearable.

edit: The build quality was also horrible as well. It felt like a lovely version of a Samsung phone.

• Locked thread