Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's true that post-Decade, KR's been pretty light-hearted and kid-friendly, and Gaim seems to be perfectly willing to keep with the trend. Though if all the Norse cosmology namedropping has some significance beyond the usual empty references, then the fact that fruits, Lockseeds, and Inves come from Helheim, the realm of the dead, might mean something in the long run. That's a big if, though.

Urobuchi Gen made a living on dark twists and gut-punching pathos and I wouldn't be surprised if he had something like that lined up for Gaim, too. Especially since the twist of, "Inves are people, we're killing people!" would only put it just about on par with Showa Era shows for dark subject matter, and it's not too far from one of the tamer plot twists in his recent work. He's on record as wanting to skew closer to Kuuga and Ryuki, though admittedly how far he would be allowed to isn't really in his hands.

I imagine for Toei's current marketing strategy he might be a bit of a double-edged sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

There are currently actual lock lockseeds on sale on eBay right now for super cheap. Search "Gaim dial lock."
I missed the "actual lock" part of this post originally. That's pretty awesome! I wish they had some that were bigger, like the DX ones, but still I wouldn't mind locking up my work stuff with a banana lock.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Admittedly, Urobochi has actually come under fire from the producer over how 'Anime' is writing is for Gaim.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rei_ posted:

Admittedly, Urobochi has actually come under fire from the producer over how 'Anime' is writing is for Gaim.

Yeah, it's been noticed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In what way are other Kamen Rider shows noticeably less anime?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rei_ posted:

When did this happen?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

In what way are other Kamen Rider shows noticeably less anime?

The pacing, characters, and set up are generally key points. It's kind of like going from comic book writing to TV writing. In theory they should lend to one another, but they often don't.

To go back to older Kamen Rider, just earlier Heisei stuff, it was written, especially shows like Agito or Kuuga, far more like a TV drama than an anime. Going back further than that is tricky, but also extremely telling.

Why? While Kamen Rider hasn't had an anime series proper, that I am aware of, it has had several manga adaptations running at the same time.

Mind these are all outdated, but it's the clearest example I can give.

Kamen Rider Black's show VS it's manga were two very different beasts. The show focused on the action and the adventure thing and gave a greater focus to the monster of the week as a threat, or at least as part of the villain's plot. It had a small cast of characters to keep the focus tight and generally didn't stray too far as far as location goes.

Kamen Rider Black the Manga focused on other things entirely. It actually downplayed the action and the monsters, and focused more on the general plots, to the point where entire chapters would go by with little to no fighting, and the monsters tended to either be inconsequential, or they'd show up in the droves just to get cut down. The cast of characters was also very high, and it'd bop around all over the planet.

It's pretty much the reason why there still isn't a 'real' tokustatsu style anime, I think, that adheres to how toku tends to work as a genre. Except maybe Ultraman Joanis but I haven't seen that series.

You'd think Kikiader would be a good example, but the anime followed the manga's foot steps and, again, downplayed the specific kind of action you tend to only see in Toku. To be fair though, that one is really hard to judge. The manga and TV show came out at the same time, to be sure, but the anime came out decades later.

Gaim has had a very anime-esque style plot to it from the get go, which a lot of people have noticed. I find it interesting that Gen is getting flack for it from his producer.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Check out what someone spotted behind the sponsor bumper after the opening:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

There were some arguments on other forums about how this was just distortion from the reflection, but considering how opening itself played with reflections it's an interesting thing to notice.

EDIT:

Burkion posted:

Gaim has had a very anime-esque style plot to it from the get go, which a lot of people have noticed. I find it interesting that Gen is getting flack for it from his producer.

I'd think the animesque plot structure is to Gaim's credit and would certainly not want to see it changed. Things are moving along at a refreshing clip and changing from that might cause it to lose momentum. Another KR retooled in mid-run would be a shame.

Runa fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 14, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SpazmasterX posted:

People were discussing that when the first episode aired, man.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

There are true Toku animes, you just need to know where to look. I'd say that Tiger and Bunny got pretty toku-like a lot of the time.

Or Sunred, but Sunred is more "Toku as slice of life".

And yeah, I'm with the camp who thinks the animeish writing style is to Gaim's credit. Things have been moving at a refreshing enough clip and the way the pacing and structure that has worked out for the show thus-far. Changing it mid-stream would almost certainly be a disaster.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am not advocating changing it, I am just pointing out the fact that there is a difference.

I think it's the tone of Gaim that's going to hurt it in the long run, if it does try to get super serious and dramatic later. It's putting almost all of its eggs into the Wacky bucket, which is fine. Mood whiplash is a thing, however, and a bad thing more than not.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Who wants toy magazine scans? A new Lock Seed and weapon for Gaim have been revealed!

The Kachidoki (Victory Cry) Lock Seed summons the DJ Gun, which has different firing modes depending on how fast you scratch the turntable on the side (fast scratch = machinegun, normal scratch = energy beam, slow scratch = giant bazooka blast), and can combine with the Musou Saber to create an even bigger sword. From the looks of the scans the Kachidoki Lock Seed also gives Gaim a new Arms form, possibly his final one.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

That gun confuses the hell out of me. It doesn't fit Gaim's theme of fruit + samurai at all. Granted, it's not the first time something like this has happened, but it still seems really out of place here to me.

Especially since there's an actual DJ on the show. I suppose he's going to have some kind of connection to it?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dexie posted:

That gun confuses the hell out of me. It doesn't fit Gaim's theme of fruit + samurai at all. Granted, it's not the first time something like this has happened, but it still seems really out of place here to me.

You're Saying a DJ gun doesn't fit the Street Dancing Gang Warfare of Gaim?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Simon The Digger posted:

Kachidoki Lock Seed also gives Gaim a new Arms form, possibly his final one.

For anyone confused about the top left corner there, one is the action figure and the other is likely the vinyl figure.

Re: Final form: Not very likely. This will probably be the middle upgrade like Wizard All-Dragon, Fourze Magnet Form, TaJaDoru, and FangJoker. It's gonna be a big fruit though, cause it goes all the way down to becoming waist armor too.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It's way too early for final forms to show up in toy scans, this is probably more along the lines of FangJoker/Tajador, I mean hell we haven't even gotten pics of the secondary ri-...

...Eh.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're Saying a DJ gun doesn't fit the Street Dancing Gang Warfare of Gaim?

I'm saying it doesn't fit Gaim-the-character, not Gaim-the-series. I can't really see Gaim using it, the DJ thing doesn't really him, you know? It's something I'd expect more from the DJ if he ended up with a driver at some point.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rei_ posted:

It's way too early for final forms to show up in toy scans, this is probably more along the lines of FangJoker/Tajador, I mean hell we haven't even gotten pics of the secondary ri-...

...Eh.

Tajador WAS the Final Form, it just wasn't the final one shown.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Tajador WAS the Final Form, it just wasn't the final one shown.

No PuToTyra was still the final form, it just wasn't the one used to kill the big boss. By that logic, Fourze's base form was also his final form.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

No PuToTyra was still the final form, it just wasn't the one used to kill the big boss. By that logic, Fourze's base form was also his final form.

I dunno, for talking about which form had the most character importance/development attached to it TaJaDor edges out PuToTyra since it's the physical representation of Ahnk and Eiji's relationship which is what that show was about.

Similarly, Cosmic States is literally powered by friendship and was first used when friendship brought Gen back from the dead and that show was all about Gen building his friendship with everyone.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

SpazmasterX posted:

Re: Final form: Not very likely. This will probably be the middle upgrade like Wizard All-Dragon, Fourze Magnet Form, TaJaDoru, and FangJoker. It's gonna be a big fruit though, cause it goes all the way down to becoming waist armor too.

I was figuring that whatever Arms form Gaim gets from attaching the Genesis Driver's core juicer bit to the faceplate slot of his Sengoku Driver would be his mid-tier upgrade but hey, if they have something crazier than the DJ Gun planned I'm all for it.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

I dunno, for talking about which form had the most character importance/development attached to it TaJaDor edges out PuToTyra since it's the physical representation of Ahnk and Eiji's relationship which is what that show was about.

Similarly, Cosmic States is literally powered by friendship and was first used when friendship brought Gen back from the dead and that show was all about Gen building his friendship with everyone.

On the other hand Tajador came about because Hina forced Ankh to begrudgingly part with one of his medals temporarily while another largely irrelevant person deemed now the correct time to give Eiji a medal he'd been keeping for almost no reason.

Putotyra was about an absense of desire, which was also an important concept in OOO. That plus Putotyra being literally the final form he got in the show. It's dumb to consider "Final Form" to mean anything other than the last form a character got in their show chronologically anyway, considering they're going to be outclassed by upwards of two movie powers later regardless.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

I am not advocating changing it, I am just pointing out the fact that there is a difference.

I think it's the tone of Gaim that's going to hurt it in the long run, if it does try to get super serious and dramatic later. It's putting almost all of its eggs into the Wacky bucket, which is fine. Mood whiplash is a thing, however, and a bad thing more than not.
Is it? I mean, I know it's had some weird things, but the plot has not been super wacky at all. If anything, it's surprisingly dark for how light and fun the series looks at first glance. Basically any Micchy-Sid scene, any Takatora scene, or most Kaito scenes show exactly how sick the whole Zawame City is, with how controlled it is by Yggdrasill, and how the upper branch (Takatora, Sid, DJ Sagara, Dr. Sengoku) work.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Episode 10 is out. I'm not sure if Pierre butt or Santa henshin is my favorite part of this episode.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Burkion posted:

It's pretty much the reason why there still isn't a 'real' tokustatsu style anime, I think, that adheres to how toku tends to work as a genre.

Sailor Moon and Precure seem pretty tokusatsu to me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oh my god, can any who can make gifs get me a one with Zangetsu's henshin pose? That loving toss in the air is so good :allears:

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 16, 2013

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Just patching the episode now, but can someone explain to me what all the random text appearing during sentai / rider shows is? Is it just weather stuff / announcements for other shows?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Caithness posted:

Yes, Sailor Moon was in actuality an attempt to market Sentai to young women out of the Magical Girl genre which had been popular in Japan since the 60s as a result of Bewitched syndicating over there.

Not joking.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Darksaber posted:

Just patching the episode now, but can someone explain to me what all the random text appearing during sentai / rider shows is? Is it just weather stuff / announcements for other shows?

Yes, also contests.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Caithness posted:

I can't speak about Precure, never seen it, but Sailor Moon's action and monsters are not the focus by and large-though it's one of the closest I can say. It definately was inspired by Toku, but it's not quite there, defining its own genre of newer magical girl style shows. I've heard good things about Samurai Flamenco, but again, haven't seen it.

Tiger and Bunny, to me, is way more 'comic book super hero' than Toku.

Though I will amend myself-there aren't TYPICALLY toku-style anime, so you can tell the difference when you see it. Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Bleach, none of those are toku, despite being action adventure stuff. Guyver isn't either, to me, which seriously guys none of you brought up Guyver?

None of you?

But then it's all subjective I guess.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

Episode 10 is out. I'm not sure if Pierre butt or Santa henshin is my favorite part of this episode.

My favorite part continues to be any time Hase and Jonouchi are onscreen at the same time. :allears:

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
on the subject of toku anime, I've heard Samurai Flamenco is pretty good.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

jonjonaug posted:

It's the shots of the reindeer heads talking.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not complaining, the show is great, but since when was Kouta able to knock the Invess about without even transforming? :v:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Sakurazuka posted:

Not complaining, the show is great, but since when was Kouta able to knock the Invess about without even transforming? :v:
Such is the power of dance.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

He was transformed into MALL SANTA!!! :ssj:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

He was transformed into MALL SANTA!!! :ssj:

SANTA ARMS! Merry Christmas!

This is of course followed by a giant Santa head falling on top of Kouta.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

SANTA ARMS! Merry Christmas!

This is of course followed by a giant Santa head falling on top of Kouta.

If this doesn't happen next episode, I will be sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Why does uh... Ornac have Kouta's number registered on his phone?

• Locked thread