Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VulgarandStupid posted:

Are locations more or less 100% going to be there on another server or another person's game?

We're looking for a T10 Avian Pirate gun merchant. Any help would be appreciated.

The locations are all the same between universes at the moment.

Sector X -70156604, -30728853, head left.

Dude was selling 2000 DPS sniper rifles, but this was pre-patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Do npcs you place have drops?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tengames posted:

3d printer is garbage. It doesnt replicate anything useful like resources, YOu need to already have the thing you want to make just to scan it, and very rarely will you find youself needing mulitple of a single decouration that you didnt already steal several copies of.
It's useful for copying apex lockers if you only find a few.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Toffile posted:

AFAIK the locations are really seed numbers for generating systems and that's part of why the length of time it takes to get between two places is the same regardless of fuel cost/distance but this is based on nothing but conjecture.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tulip posted:

AFAIK the locations are really seed numbers for generating systems and that's part of why the length of time it takes to get between two places is the same regardless of fuel cost/distance but this is based on nothing but conjecture.
Someone posted a screenshot earlier and there was a line of text that was like "makes sure the animation lasts at least as long as it takes for the intro sounds to play"... but that could have been modded, and I assume it referred to intra rather than inter system transport?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

2 Track EP posted:

I would be fine with the printer if there was an item I could carry to scan items for free instead of hauling them back to my ship. Scanning one of each decorative item as I ran through a planet would be just fine and I wouldn't mind paying a pixel cost to build them afterwards, and I hate how probably 80% of all of my total storage is filled with decorative items that I only picked up so I could have them on hand if I ever need them.
Yeah, if scanning as free and all you had to do was use "examine" on something, I wouldn't bother ripping up poor avian settlements for their quaint furniture. I'd just take a long look around and print/craft whatever I needed later. As it is now, I have an entire village stuffed into a few chests back home.

E: As for transport time, I really don't mind too much, since I don't planet-hop very much and I can spend the warpspeed jump resting to top off my health or sorting a few remaining items in my storage, but I sure wouldn't object if engine upgrades reduced travel time with each tier.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 16, 2013

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Bartwe made a great announcement: next patch supports overriding and merging of configs for mods.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm still not quite understanding the syntax these use, but holy cow, this won't just let us make new starter recipes (finally), they'll let us alter or add on to ANY existing files, so even something as normally intrusive as changing an existing item to teach you a recipe when picked up won't overwrite the original file. This adds so many possibilities.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, if scanning as free and all you had to do was use "examine" on something, I wouldn't bother ripping up poor avian settlements for their quaint furniture. I'd just take a long look around and print/craft whatever I needed later. As it is now, I have an entire village stuffed into a few chests back home.

E: As for transport time, I really don't mind too much, since I don't planet-hop very much and I can spend the warpspeed jump resting to top off my health or sorting a few remaining items in my storage, but I sure wouldn't object if engine upgrades reduced travel time with each tier.

Engine speeds might be a slightly difficult thing since I'm pretty sure the jump involves actually building and loading the level. That's the impression I get from the process anyway.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Gazaar posted:

Engine speeds might be a slightly difficult thing since I'm pretty sure the jump involves actually building and loading the level. That's the impression I get from the process anyway.

I'm 90% sure the text that scrolls by while jumping is the actual code that's building the level.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Rocketlex posted:

I'm 90% sure the text that scrolls by while jumping is the actual code that's building the level.

That would be a pretty neat touch if it's true.

I guess if you want better engines you need to code a better world generator scrubs.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Gazaar posted:

That would be a pretty neat touch if it's true.

I guess if you want better engines you need to code a better world generator scrubs.

World generation takes only a few seconds, it's done before you 'leave orbit'. Tiy stated warp takes as long as it does purely to make the universe feel larger.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Just to jump in on the 3D printer chat, I think I understand they did it the way they did with the late game in mind. If players could copy useful stuff like armor or weapons, then everyone would be running around with the same RNG perfect grenade launcher or whatever in short order, so that stuff is off limits.

For the decorative stuff I feel that they expected you to REALLY focus on that sort of thing in the late game, in sector X. The late game seems really about building a crazy home for yourself at the moment as your first good level 10 weapon and top tier armor makes survival pretty trivial. Pixels in the form of crazy amounts of diamonds are plentiful, and you can make a crazy amount of money just stripping the surface of a small moon of money materials. This keeps you actually doing small resource runs for stuff other than fuel every once in awhile, but I could get 50k worth of pixels for perhaps an hour or less or work with a diamond drill and the bubble/butterfly booster tech for fast travel. I do think that many of the items are pretty prohibitively expensive though and would like to see everything cost about half as much.

For certain items like saw blades and shock traps though it makes sense for they to be expensive because if they were really cheap then there would be nothing to stop someone from making a TON of them and putting them everywhere to grief people.

No idea why blocks aren't already available. As it has already be said, they are already incredibly plentiful but nothing is more annoying that having to strip an entire prison to the foundation for building materials, only to run out half way through a project and have to go do it again.(:suicide:) Making them available and cost 1 or 2 pixels depending on the block is probably the best option. Things like titanium blocks are weird though, and having them be ingredients later could throw that idea off. If they made all the blocks cost actual minerals then that could be one way of handling it, but it would mean turning the game into a strip mining simulator.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm really hoping they do a bit more with moons at some point, rather than them just being cold.

I built myself a fancy moonbase, with working airlocks. Moons are probably my favourite type of planet, just look at all that spacey goodness. :allears:

Here's a short video tour of the base:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sA50pJHbdM

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Toffile posted:

Which planet/moon is it, though? I think there's a whole system there.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VulgarandStupid posted:

Which planet/moon is it, though? I think there's a whole system there.

II d, sorry.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Evilreaver posted:

World generation takes only a few seconds, it's done before you 'leave orbit'. Tiy stated warp takes as long as it does purely to make the universe feel larger.

A feeling that breaks down somewhat when your ship has to spend 30 seconds spinning FTL doughnuts just to get from a planet to its moon.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm really hoping they do a bit more with moons at some point, rather than them just being cold.

I built myself a fancy moonbase, with working airlocks. Moons are probably my favourite type of planet, just look at all that spacey goodness. :allears:

Whats up moonbro! Definitely my favorite planet type at the moment, and I can't wait for some kind of low/no atmosphere feature with the biome. If breathable spaces can be coded to respond to doors being opened and what not then that would be incredible.

Also, am I the only one who would love to see planets that are permanently night/day/dusk? I have been playing around with the directional lights in the game, and while it looks incredible at night, half the time I don't get to enjoy the atmosphere. Level 10 nightmare moons where you need a flashlight to navigate lunar penal colonies would be fan-loving-tastic.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that was one of the smaller issues people were talking about before the beta hit, the lack of being able to skip the startup sequence. At least you can move around your ship.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

For those wanting more block types to build with, I'd like to re-plug my Homesick mod:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/homesick-over-80-diverse-building-blocks-now-craftable-from-the-start.44722/

Makes over 80 existing block types craftable from the start, including some stuff you can't get anywhere right now, like the Hylotl decorative bricks. Just adds recipes, so you don't have to worry about multiplayer incompatibility.

Does this still need to be installed editing the bootstrap config file or can it just be dropped into the mods folder now?

edit; I just made a file called homesick.modinfo with
code:
{
  "name" : "Homesick",
  "version" : "Beta v. Offended Koala",
  "path" : "."
}
and put it in the mods/homesick folder and it seems to be working.
Great mod, kinda wish it added everything to a whole new crafting table or something though so it didn't clutter up the list so much.

Kly fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 16, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I think the latest patch screwed with the biome generation on planets. I'm getting ice on my jungle worlds. Which is actually not too bad - I just think of those places as polar caps.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I think that's intentional, they added mini bioms to the planets to mix things up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Nyyen posted:

For the decorative stuff I feel that they expected you to REALLY focus on that sort of thing in the late game, in sector X...
The only real problem I have with this, and the main reason I mad Homesick add the blocks immediately as starter recipes, is that a lot of people that intend to build will probably start building right away, at least in small ways. Making room for storage and permanent crafting stations, a place to house their moved-in NPCs, etc. So with an endgame-weighted balance, people are going to be building temporary homes and dirt hovels in the meantime, then waiting around until they finally get enough worthwhile materials to make a real cool base, then having to move EVERYTHING over, which is all the more tedious not being able to carry full chests.
If you have the ability to make cool stuff right off the bat, without needing to first steal blocks from dungeons and villages or get endgame resources, the base will grow organically, with the player refining and expanding as new spaces become necessary.

Nyyen posted:

Also, am I the only one who would love to see planets that are permanently night/day/dusk?
Tidally-locked timeless planets would be amazing. Even moreso if you could travel far enough in one direction to reach the day/night border and 'cross over' into the other time, but that extra bit's a steep order and I doubt it'd be possible with the current coding.

Kly posted:

Does this still need to be installed editing the bootstrap config file or can it just be dropped into the mods folder now?
Oh, it hadn't even occurred to me, but yeah, I'm gonna have to rebuild this (or you could just toss a .modinfo file into it yourself). Will need to repackage again when Bartwe's new mod patch comes out.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Pilchenstein posted:

I love these moon bases but looking at it I just realized something: There are no horizontal doors that I'm aware of.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Vib Rib posted:

The only real problem I have with this, and the main reason I mad Homesick add the blocks immediately as starter recipes, is that a lot of people that intend to build will probably start building right away, at least in small ways. Making room for storage and permanent crafting stations, a place to house their moved-in NPCs, etc. So with an endgame-weighted balance, people are going to be building temporary homes and dirt hovels in the meantime, then waiting around until they finally get enough worthwhile materials to make a real cool base, then having to move EVERYTHING over, which is all the more tedious not being able to carry full chests.
If you have the ability to make cool stuff right off the bat, without needing to first steal blocks from dungeons and villages or get endgame resources, the base will grow organically, with the player refining and expanding as new spaces become necessary

Hmmm. How about an Alchemy Beam that lets you quickly convert blocks into other blocks? Like, off the bat you build your fort out of stone, then once you've found Avian Temple Blocks or whatever you can scan them with your Alchemy Beam, then turn the blocks in your fort into that?

EDIT:

MrTheDevious posted:

Best discovery of today: area effect weapons kill party members even if nobody's PVP flagged. I mass splatted a whole group of goons earlier with my grenade launcher :v:

I hope instead of "fixing" this they make PvP and Friendly Fire separate toggles.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 16, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Best discovery of today: area effect weapons kill party members even if nobody's PVP flagged. I mass splatted a whole group of goons earlier with my grenade launcher :v:

Also that Estus mod is my new favorite thing

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Catsworth posted:

I love these moon bases but looking at it I just realized something: There are no horizontal doors that I'm aware of.
There SORT of are. There are these glitch secret trap door style things (I found one in one of those tiny mini castles with a crazed glitch who I took a crown from). Press E on them and they recede into the background and you can drop down through them.

EDIT: They are called Glitch Hidden Trapdoor,the inventory description is "Something isn't quite right with these bricks", and they take 1,000 pixels to pop out of your printer.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 16, 2013

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

The concrete block in the Homesick mod seems to need a perfectly generic item to craft.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Here is a preview of the current proof of concept of a moon spanning prison/sanitarium/hive world I am playing with. Pretty heavily influenced by the prison blocks available in the game, but much more claustrophobic and darker. I intend to mod in a whole lot more grafitti and creepy art objects as well, but I need to teach myself how to properly set up the responses to everything and what not.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Nyyen posted:

Here is a preview of the current proof of concept of a moon spanning prison/sanitarium/hive world I am playing with. Pretty heavily influenced by the prison blocks available in the game, but much more claustrophobic and darker. I intend to mod in a whole lot more grafitti and creepy art objects as well, but I need to teach myself how to properly set up the responses to everything and what not.

Will items spawn in all those crates? :stare:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

MrTheDevious posted:

Also that Estus mod is my new favorite thing
Yeah I have a grenade launcher that does like 5k damage a shot. Mistakes were made.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Rocketlex posted:

Will items spawn in all those crates? :stare:

When the are flagged in a dungeon file then yes, each one has a chance of carrying loot. I haven't played with that part of it yet so I'm not sure how random versus specific loot spawns work. Having one out of the whole stack would be an interesting way of rewarding ocd sufferers patient people though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Toffile posted:

II d, sorry.

Thanks. Only had 1500 DPS guns, but that was better than I had.

I did find a Plasma Shotgun much earlier today. It shoots a bunch of orbs that bounce and glow. Damage was pretty bad at the time. It was in a chest.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nyyen posted:

When the are flagged in a dungeon file then yes, each one has a chance of carrying loot. I haven't played with that part of it yet so I'm not sure how random versus specific loot spawns work. Having one out of the whole stack would be an interesting way of rewarding ocd sufferers patient people though.

See if you can manage to make it so all the crates only have more crates inside them.

Except for one, which has a bookshelf or something.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Insert name here posted:

Yeah I have a grenade launcher that does like 5k damage a shot. Mistakes were made.

Same one I have and I'm pretty sure it's by far the strongest weapon in the game right now.

I can't really say mistakes were made though since once I saw goons exploding, I just started flying after them overhead raining grenades down :kiddo:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Haha I installed all those weapon mods from earlier and started killing guards in the monkey town on my starting planet. 2 or 3 in and one drops a loving 15 dps rocket launcher. The energy consumption is a little rough but it just wrecks fools.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Nyyen posted:

That is fuckin rad! Im really getting Doom vibes from it.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Section Z posted:

See if you can manage to make it so all the crates only have more crates inside them.

Except for one, which has a bookshelf or something.

Thank you for this. Both funny and somehow disturbing at the same time. Totally how I am going to handle the storage building.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 16, 2013

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

Nyyen posted:

Wowzers, that is quite the accomplishment! Will the entire world be a prison or just the top layers of the planet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Edit: Beaten to it.

Are plasma pistols just not spawning at all or are they just super rare?

• Locked thread