Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Ageofbob posted:

Wowzers, that is quite the accomplishment! Will the entire world be a prison or just the top layers of the planet?

At the moment I am shooting for a series of large building features on the surface connected by flat desolate areas with things like destroyed buildings and the like. The prison was where I started but I sort of like Mega-Cities from Judge Dredd, climbing all the way up into space and sinking deep into the surface as well, with one being given over to the prison theme and the others having slightly different angles and visuals.

I would love to do a crazy, hellish, completely connected super structure all the way to the bottom that begins to lose any semblance of rhyme or reason the deeper you go, but that seems like it would be a REALLY involved and long process. I can do rooms and the general structure no problem, but the real pain in the rear end is going back in and decorating everything so that it doesn't end up being a series of copy-pasted rooms strung together. Not to mention all the god-drat wiring.

I am also worried how the AI will be able to handle such small spaces. They already have trouble when there is a flight of stairs between you and them, so having something at tight as that with so many complicated surfaces might mean that adding enemies would be difficult. Also, I don't want some stupid Barney the Dinosaur RNG monster ruining my hell-scape atmosphere.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Edit: Beaten to it.

Are plasma pistols just not spawning at all or are they just super rare?
I have recently gotten some pistols that went pew pew instead of bang bang so I think they are in. They sucked so I trashed them so I can't check unfortunately.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Zereth posted:

It's useful for copying apex lockers if you only find a few.

It's useful, but it's still lovely design. There is no reason I should lose the item and also pay to scan it and pay an absurd amount to print the item. It completely disincentives using the 3D printer. I'd understand if you could like, print fuel or something (even at a loss compared to the refinery prices) but decorative items should be for fun and should be dirt cheap, if anything at all. Many decorations cost 2k, which is more than the cost to build the second boss. It's nuts.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

It's useful, but it's still lovely design. There is no reason I should lose the item and also pay to scan it and pay an absurd amount to print the item. It completely disincentives using the 3D printer. I'd understand if you could like, print fuel or something (even at a loss compared to the refinery prices) but decorative items should be for fun and should be dirt cheap, if anything at all. Many decorations cost 2k, which is more than the cost to build the second boss. It's nuts.

On the other hand, you got money coming out the wazoo from T4 onward, so it's not really that big of a deal.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MrTheDevious posted:

Also that Estus mod is my new favorite thing

I'm glad you like it. :) Honestly, I was just inspired by the people that made the spritework; making the individual "better bandages" wasn't that hard, and if I'd just made them bandages, it wouldn't have taken nearly as long. Not nearly as neat, though, that way!

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm glad you like it. :) Honestly, I was just inspired by the people that made the spritework; making the individual "better bandages" wasn't that hard, and if I'd just made them bandages, it wouldn't have taken nearly as long. Not nearly as neat, though, that way!

What Estus mod are you talking about? Could I perhaps get a link to it, because I have a friend that is a Dark Souls fanatic and he would love that.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

Yeah.

Basically, scanning is awful in like five different ways.

1) You shouldn't lose the item you're scanning.
2) You shouldn't have to pay to scan things.
3) You shouldn't have to steal an item and lug it back up to the ship in order to scan it.
4) The prices should be quite a lot lower.
5) You should be able to scan-and-print anything, not just uncraftable decorative items--and a small subset of those at that.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

In general the crafting system needs an overhaul.
1)Remove pixel costs altogether in crafting
2)Make boss summoning items require less materials

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DanrewS posted:

What Estus mod are you talking about? Could I perhaps get a link to it, because I have a friend that is a Dark Souls fanatic and he would love that.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/estus-flasks.274/

It adds a bonfire crafting station (1 campfire + 2 iron bars) that you can craft Estus Flasks at, which act like bandages. Every even tech level (2, 4, etc.) unlocks a new tier of flask, which heals for more health - the goal is that you should never need more than 5 flasks to go to full HP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Catsworth posted:

These are awesome and Dead Space is one of my favorite franchises but the heads look a little off to me. They seem too big for the bodies but it might just be the suits need to be bigger? It's hard to put my finger on it. Either way they're really cool.

You're right, the heads are a little bit on the big side.

Is this better? (Original on the left, new version on the right)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Iny posted:

Yeah.

3) You shouldn't have to steal an item and lug it back up to the ship in order to scan it.
5) You should be able to scan-and-print anything, not just uncraftable decorative items--and a small subset of those at that.

qnqnx posted:

Yeah, having to pay to scan things and still have the item destroyed is crazy. One or the other would be enough, though for the printer I'd prefer not paying to scan while it is still destroyed. That way, you can afford to scan a cool item right now, to use later down the line. Compared to hording decorative items in containers because you can't afford to spend 500-1,000 pixels on scanning a tiny gold duck.

Having to spend pixels when actually crafting things is just dumb, because pixels are supposed to be currency/3D printer fodder. Instead of a potential gently caress you loop of "I can't afford to craft this item that will make me die less or progress the game, because I'm dying too much to afford it the thing that will make me die less."

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
We should be able to sell things. At our awesome Home Planet settlement.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

qnqnx posted:

Better yet! Change it up a bit on boss summoning. I hope they will have something more fleshed out than crafting items to summon a boss. Something like in terraria, where there are various ways to summon a boss. It would be cool if after completing a certain objective, the next desert planet you visited would spawn a dungeon with the dragon fossil at the end and you'd summon it by digging the fossil and thus awakening it. Of course you'd be guided to do so by the quest system.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

So I made a thing:

Yeah, I know, that's the same icon for the paint tool, but I'm not great with art and I mainly just wanted to see if I could do it.

It's a lot of fun burning aliens to a crisp.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

The Green Calx posted:

So I made a thing:

Yeah, I know, that's the same icon for the paint tool, but I'm not great with art and I mainly just wanted to see if I could do it.

It's a lot of fun burning aliens to a crisp.

At that size, the paint tool looks like some kind of robotic lizard, and I'm okay with this for a flamethrower.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

CJacobs posted:

You're right, the heads are a little bit on the big side.

Is this better? (Original on the left, new version on the right)

Yeah, that looks way better but still keeps the same feel. Nicely done. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

What was that mod that lets you build your own ship, again?

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011

Iny posted:

Yeah.

6) If you compulsively scan everything it starts freezing up a bit when you try to open it due to too many things.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Denzine posted:

We should be able to sell things. At our awesome Home Planet settlement.

Dear god this is annoying, every time a new player starts they think you can sell poo poo and nooope.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Has anyone made Iron Man/War Machine yet?

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Vib Rib posted:

For those wanting more block types to build with, I'd like to re-plug my Homesick mod:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/homesick-over-80-diverse-building-blocks-now-craftable-from-the-start.44722/

Makes over 80 existing block types craftable from the start, including some stuff you can't get anywhere right now, like the Hylotl decorative bricks. Just adds recipes, so you don't have to worry about multiplayer incompatibility.

I was really hoping this would be a step towards my Homesick method of just making all blocks craftable, albeit spread out over time, but 50 pixels for one metallic brick you can just gather from an apex dungeon en masse.
Now that we're going to have permanent homeworlds we can warp to at any time for free, it seems like building a cool base is more important than ever. And while it's nice that they're starting to give us some more block types to play with, 50 for a single block is ridiculous. Consider how many it takes to tile even a small room's background.

Vib Rib, is this mod updated for use with the current version of Starbound?

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

ldragon posted:

6) If you compulsively scan everything it starts freezing up a bit when you try to open it due to too many things.

7) swapping servers or going to speak/mp from mp/sp resets your printer. Rip.

unemployedartist
Mar 31, 2011
Anybody know how the brain zapper and the hunting tools call up their treasure tables? I am fooling around with some light modding ideas after buffing my matter manipulator. Never really done any modding before, and I would like to see if I could create a sword that makes monsters drop torches.

edit: looks like I found some clues reading the text files. apparently the monsters have traits, "organic" being the one that enables the damage type "bow" to select loot from the "hunting" table, giving you the appropriate loot. looks like my idea will entail

1 creating a new weapon
2.assigning a projectile to that weapon
3.creating a damage type for that projectile
4. editing the creature file to say what treasure pool when it gets killed by that damage type
5. defining the treasure table and its properties.

For right now, I am going to half rear end it and add torches to the hunting table and adjust probabilities to equal 100 and see what happens.

unemployedartist fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 16, 2013

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

unemployedartist posted:

Anybody know how the brain zapper and the hunting tools call up their treasure tables? I am fooling around with some light modding ideas after buffing my matter manipulator. Never really done any modding before, and I would like to see if I could create a sword that makes monsters drop torches.

assets/treasure/basicmonstertreasure through 6 for each planet type I believe.
Hunting is bow drops.
Brain is brain drops.
Default is all basic lootable containers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I bit the bullet and tried out the early access. It's kind of an unforgiving learning curve and there's still a lot of stuff I can see they need to iron out, but I'm liking it.

How do you make background walls? And do they do the same function as in Terrarria, disable random spawning monsters?

EDIT: There seriously needs to be some sort of floating tooltip thing for all those tabs in the crafting menu.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Speedball posted:

I bit the bullet and tried out the early access. It's kind of an unforgiving learning curve and there's still a lot of stuff I can see they need to iron out, but I'm liking it.

How do you make background walls? And do they do the same function as in Terrarria, disable random spawning monsters?

The foreground terrain seems the cause, as wild monsters only spawn on natural blocks. Not 100% sure. To place background, just right click.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Speedball posted:

Right-click, and...maybe? The game doesn't really have a "House" system like Terraria does. Enclosing an area is mostly a way to lock in heat.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
On the topic of 3D scanning, I was first under the impression that the scan would destroy an object and pay out pixels in return. It made sense to me that it was breaking an object down to its molecular/pixel level and I could supply pixels to have it rebuild. I thought it was going to be the primary way to cash in all those gold statues from my tomb raiding.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Spectral Werewolf posted:

On the topic of 3D scanning, I was first under the impression that the scan would destroy an object and pay out pixels in return. It made sense to me that it was breaking an object down to its molecular/pixel level and I could supply pixels to have it rebuild. I thought it was going to be the primary way to cash in all those gold statues from my tomb raiding.

That would be ideal and would finally make something useful out all those lovely weapon drops that keep clogging my chests.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I actually think this is a really awesome idea. Feels like a great way to give people an additional reward for finding new things and adding them to your database. Without removing pixels as a cost to craft progression items, it encourages people to explore more planets more often, definitely a good thing. Also, if they decide to remove pixels as a crafting progression cost, they could leave them as a cost for decorative items/3D printers and then only those who care about decorative items will need the money, and they will also be the most likely to explore for new/unique items to scan. It's a win/win either way!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This is gonna be such slow going.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I just finished my StarBound film.
Its called Revenge of the FlowerGirl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQL-K7QQ1nA
Id like to thank Chucklefish for making all of this possible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sadly they only gave me wood.

edit: Jesus christ there's a bee shooting dog on this planet!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 16, 2013

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I really didn't like the way the paint tool looked as a flamethrower, so I changed it to something else:

It doubles as a great light source as well :flame:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Green Calx posted:

I really didn't like the way the paint tool looked as a flamethrower, so I changed it to something else:

Now make I burn down wood structures

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The Green Calx posted:

I'm going to be very sad if you don't share this.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

peepsalot posted:

I found a cool console that disappears and reappears when you activate it with 'e'.

I wonder if this is planned to have some kind of interface in the future.

Sorry to quote this from a few pages back, but I think I might know what this is. Ages ago when the devs were talking about dungeons, they said that each dungeon would have a device that would prevent local block breaking and placement so that people couldn't just cheese the dungeon. These devices could be deactivated when all the mobs that were flagged to spawn in the dungeon were defeated/an objected had been reached, allowing you to then be able to deconstruct poo poo since the dungeon would be done at that point. My guess is that the console might be tied to that, not entirly sure though since I do not know if that is still a feature of the game.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

I just finished my StarBound film.
Its called Revenge of the FlowerGirl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQL-K7QQ1nA
Id like to thank Chucklefish for making all of this possible.

I was really bored for a minute there until I realized it was sephiroths theme. Then I was still bored.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Holy poo poo. I found a tool spawner in a random surface chest I figured hey, this'll be a dude who sells like, low tier pixaxes and poo poo. I was incorrect, he is a hylotl who sells bombs for 200 pixels. and flares but who cares about those.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

OK. I've spent a solid 40 hours at this point (probably more, really) learning firsthand how difficult pixel art is. I don't even know what's going on with half of this thing - it's so large my inspiration changed at least a couple of times while I was building it out. I used the default human ship as a base model. Everything is extrapolated from that in some way or other.

Here are the files themselves for anyone who wants to use this thing (or build on it) -

Edit: fixed missing tech printer, thanks Galaga Galaxian.

http://i.imgur.com/2SDXRKB.png (rename to shipship.png)
http://i.imgur.com/qillBrB.png (rename to dropshipblocks.png)

You'll also need to open dropship.STRUCTURE (in Notepad or some other text editor and set "position" to [0, 0] so the texture lines up with the grid.

All of the above go into Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\ships\human to make this the default ship newly created human characters'll get. This overwrites the default ship for humans so back up the affected files or you'll need to delete the files and have Steam re-download them if you want to get the unmodified starter ship back.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is that ship missing a tech/3d printer terminal?

• Locked thread