Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of December 19):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Knytt Underground - €8.99 / £7.99
    Nano Assault Neo (demo)
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Wii Fit U Trial Version (Wii U) - free for 31 days, available until January 31 (Balance Board required.)
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Wii U eShop) - €12.99 / £10.00 from December 19-26
    Toki Tori (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 from December 19-January 2
    Toki Tori 2+ (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £7.79 plus additional discounts for owning Toki Tori, RUSH and/or EDGE from December 19-January 2
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 from December 19-January 2
    Kung Fu Rabbit (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 from December 19-January 2
    Puddle (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 from December 19-January 2
    TNT Racers (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 from December 19-January 2
    Star Wars Pinball (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £3.99 from December 19-January 2
    Zen Pinball 2 (Wii U eShop) - multi-table packs €4.99 / £3.99, single-table packs €1.49 / £1.19 from December 19-January 2
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €7.99 / £6.99 from December 19-January 5
    RUSH (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until January 9
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until February 1

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    nintendogs+cats: French Bulldog & New Friends - €44.99 / £39.99
    nintendogs+cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends - €44.99 / £39.99
    nintendogs+cats: Toy Poodle & New Friends - €44.99 / £39.99
3DS eSHOP
    3D Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master - €4.99 / £4.09
    3D Streets of Rage - €4.99 / £4.49
    Akari by Nikoli - €4.99 / £4.49
    Banana Bliss: Jungle Puzzles - €4.99 / £4.49
    Winter Sports 2012 - Feel The Spirit - €9.99 / £8.99
    101 Penguin Pets 3D - €4.00 / £3.59
    Brunch Panic (demo)
    World Conqueror 3D (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Life Force (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns (3DS) - €19.99 / £14.99 until January 9
    Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 2
    Bugs vs. Tanks (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 2
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 2
    Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 2
    The Starship Damrey (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 2
    Rising Board 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.29 from December 19-January 2
    Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.45 from December 19-January 2
    Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - €4.49 / £4.00 from December 19-January 2
    Sweet Memories Blackjack (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 from December 19-January 9
    Brunch Panic (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 from December 19-January 9
    Swords & Soldiers 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 from December 19-January 9
    WAKEDAS (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 from December 19-January 9
    Witch & Hero (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 from December 19-January 9
    World Conqueror 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 from December 19-January 9
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.49 until January 9
    Luxor (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    Secret Mysteries in London (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    4 Elements (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    Darts Up 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until January 2

A whole ton of eShop sales for both Wii U and 3DS starting this week. Wii U owners, pay particular attention to the Toki Tori 2+ sale: there's a base 40% discount, and owning Toki Tori, EDGE and/or RUSH will grant you an additional 10% discount for each game.

3D Shinobi III's big new feature is the ability to map specific actions (melee strike, parry, etc) to individual buttons; not a huge deal, but kinda neat all the same, and the core game is so great it doesn't even matter. 3D Streets of Rage features an additional one-hit kill mode, I think, plus local multiplayer.

Knytt Underground was highly anticipated before its original release, but I don't think it got a great reception, did it? Whatever, the Wii U version's finally here, so that's something, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ahahaha, those Nintendogs prices. I mean Nintendogs is great for what it is, and I could see the benefit of digital as a "load up now and again" title for people that don't like switching carts but those were launch games, no? Carts are around for much less than that nowadays.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pilotwings Resort is the same, and Steel Diver probably would be if they weren't rejigging it as a free-to-play game.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
So other day I took a punt and eBay purchased an eShop code for a game at about a third of the price it is by default, and it worked. How did they get hold of codes cheaply enough to sell them at such a cut price?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Strictly true can now mean loosely strictly true. Perfect. It's a sad day when words no longer mean what they mean. R.I.P. English

The only difference between words like "decadent", "awful" and "literally" is that the change to literally's definition occurred during our lifetimes.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Nintendo has a stated policy of wanting to keep digital copies at the same price as RRP and not wanting them to "deflate". It's the reason I think NOA removed Nintendoland from the eShop after the price cut, as they didn't want to be seen cutting digital prices at all (Reminder: Nintendo is bad at internet).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Babby Sathanas posted:

So other day I took a punt and eBay purchased an eShop code for a game at about a third of the price it is by default, and it worked. How did they get hold of codes cheaply enough to sell them at such a cut price?

Some codes come with hardware bundles, and you can buy codes for specific eShop/VC games from a few different retailers, so maybe they were gifted the code or it came with their 3DS or whatever. I've seen a lot of people flipping their codes for the new Zelda game in particular, probably because they bought the limited-edition Triforce 3DS but didn't want the game (or wanted to get a physical version instead).

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Champeenship posted:

Nintendo has a stated policy of wanting to keep digital copies at the same price as RRP and not wanting them to "deflate". It's the reason I think NOA removed Nintendoland from the eShop after the price cut, as they didn't want to be seen cutting digital prices at all (Reminder: Nintendo is bad at internet).

The other more understandable reason is that they don't want to annoy retailers by cutting under their prices. So expect nothing to happen until they can somehow make digital purchases work with retailers, too.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Champeenship posted:

Yeah, I get that, and I've often said as such to people complaining about stuff being sold at RRP. That makes sense for simultaneous digital releases or things hitting the eShop not long after it hits shelves. But Nintendogs + Cats is the better part of three years old and basically nowhere is still selling it for RRP.

It's just nuts.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeah, I get that, and I've often said as such to people complaining about stuff being sold at RRP. That makes sense for simultaneous digital releases or things hitting the eShop not long after it hits shelves. But Nintendogs + Cats is the better part of three years old and basically nowhere is still selling it for RRP.

It's just nuts.

Nintendogs' strength is selling throughout the lifetime of a system.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers

You can get Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge for 3DS or Mega Man X for Wii U for only $2 from now until Wednesday.

Probably just a North American deal.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Knytt Underground was highly anticipated before its original release, but I don't think it got a great reception, did it? Whatever, the Wii U version's finally here, so that's something, I suppose.

I quite like the Knytt games, so I'll probably check it out on Wii U I guess! They're nice little ambient platform romps; I think you can play a bunch of earlier games in the series here. Is Cave Story available in PAL regions yet? I got super excited when I saw it listed in the 3DS store but couldn't download it. Blah.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Knytt Underground was highly anticipated before its original release, but I don't think it got a great reception, did it?
It's a terribly written, repetitive slog with a few clever puzzles that are too far apart from each other.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You can get Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge for 3DS or Mega Man X for Wii U for only $2 from now until Wednesday.

I'm not a big Mega Man fan but that was a good enough deal to get me to buy.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Fitting time considering its Megaman's birthday tomorrow.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Oh mannn I hope US gets 3DS Life Force this week

vvv bah

meatpath fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 17, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

68k posted:

Oh mannn I hope US gets 3DS Life Force this week

No guarantees, but it seems like NA is getting Crash 'n The Boys; Street Challenge instead.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The deal isn't showing up on my Canadian Wii U account. You're Canadian, right? Is it showing up for you?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Was there a port of Life Force to 8-bit home computers? I think I remember playing a game with that name for the C-64.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Was there a port of Life Force to 8-bit home computers? I think I remember playing a game with that name for the C-64.
There were! Though some of them were called Salamander, I believe, after the first arcade version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Yeah, there were versions for most of the big European computers of the day; most of 'em were junk, but the C64 version was allegedly pretty good. It's a space shooter and a sorta-sequel to Gradius that went through a few confusing revisions (Salamander is different to Life Force USA which is different to Life Force JP, and then there are the home versions...)

alf_pogs posted:

Is Cave Story available in PAL regions yet? I got super excited when I saw it listed in the 3DS store but couldn't download it. Blah.

Nope, still NA-only for the foreseeable future.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 17, 2013

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

irlZaphod posted:

There is a Commodore 64 game called Life Force, but it's a weird overhead tank driving game (video). The Konami game was released as Salamander, and is arguably one of the best ports of it's time (video).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

^^Yeah, there were versions for most of the big European computers of the day; most of 'em were junk, but the C64 version was allegedly pretty good. It's a space shooter and a sorta-sequel to Gradius that went through a few confusing revisions (Salamander is different to Life Force USA which is different to Life Force JP, and then there are the home versions...)
There was an article about the game in Retro Gamer magazine this month. They even tracked down the guy who did the C64 port to learn about how that was made, which was pretty cool.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You're supposed to just go to the respective stores and buy them there, right? Looks like it's U.S. only, as Canada is still showing full price. :(

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah, I checked last night and it was full-price. Bummer.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Has anyone else had trouble getting into the eshop after that last big update? I keep getting a 007-2705 error every time I try to get on the drat thing. All the online stuff seems to work except for anything eshop related.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zoo06 posted:

Has anyone else had trouble getting into the eshop after that last big update? I keep getting a 007-2705 error every time I try to get on the drat thing. All the online stuff seems to work except for anything eshop related.

Have you tried it lately? It wasn't working for me for like 3 days following the update but it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

univbee posted:

Have you tried it lately? It wasn't working for me for like 3 days following the update but it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Several times just before I posted here, actually. Maybe it'll work itself out. Probably just a waiting game.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I recently purchased Sonic The Hedgehog in the eShop, and I must say they did a terrific job going above and beyond just a simple port. I'm not much of a Sonic fan, but the 3D that's included is fantastic.

I'm having one problem though, and I haven't had much luck looking it up. I can't get the sound to work any longer. The menu sounds are present, but the game sounds are not. I checked the volume level in the options and it's up. I've also tried quitting out of the game entirely.

edit: Turned on and off the 3DS, started a new game and then loaded my saved game. I don't know if starting a new game is required if it happens to anyone else.

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 18, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zoo06 posted:

Several times just before I posted here, actually. Maybe it'll work itself out. Probably just a waiting game.

You went to Nintendo Network Settings and set up a NNID, yeah?

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Over two years after its initial reveal, the 3DS is getting PC Engine titles (in Japan). (Also PC Engine + MSX VC on Wii U)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They've also listed SMB3 for release on the Wii U VC next week, so I'd imagine the rest of the world will probably get it on Xmas day, too (or maybe even after the upcoming Direct).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's all the eShop-related news from the latest Direct:

-EU-only: Anyone who registers/links a NNID to their 3DS before January 31 gets a free download code for Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (GBC) on 3DS VC! The codes will be mailed to the email address used to register your NNID, and will go out in February.

-NES Remix, available on the Wii U eShop right now! Mashup of 16 different scenes from 8-bit Nintendo games, includes Miiverse/stamp stuff, etc. $14.99.

-Sonic Lost World (Wii U) is getting free Yoshi-themed stage. Out now, free! (Zelda-themed stage coming next year.)

-Dr. Luigi! (Wii U) Exactly what it sounds like. Includes online play, touch controls via the gamepad, Germ Buster mode, yada yada. Out December 31, $14.99.

-Golf has been added to Wii Sports Club (Wii U); it includes the original nine holes plus a new set of nine holes based off Golf US Course for Famicom. $9.99, launches with free 24-hour day pass, just like the others. (Baseball/boxing out 2014.)

-Bravely Default (3DS) demo out in NA on January 2.

-Chibi Robo: Photo Finder (3DS); Chibi Robo game with an AR mechanic that utilises the 3DS' camera. Out January 9 in NA, demo coming "soon". (Wasn't mentioned on the NOE press release.)

-Pokemon Bank/Transporter (3DS) launch December 27; initial download includes a free one-month trial, but it's a paid service beyond that ($5/yr). Access the bank between now and September for a free Celebi.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

-EU-only: Anyone who registers/links a NNID to their 3DS before January 31 gets a free download code for Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (GBC) on 3DS VC! The codes will be mailed to the email address used to register your NNID, and will go out in February.

Deluxe is kinda unnecessary when the NES VC already allows us to play Super Mario Bros. while seeing more than three pixels past Mazza's nose but I guess it has the race and challenge stuff (and the reworked Lost Levels) so there's still some merit to it. Plus free is free, so I can't complain.

NES Remix actually looks pretty darn cool. Just depends on how many scenes from each game and how many variations there are to see if there's enough to justify the price I guess.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 18, 2013

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You went to Nintendo Network Settings and set up a NNID, yeah?

Yeah, I did. I get the notification about deleting credit card info and such when signing into it for the first time...unfortunately I have yet to sign in so it keeps popping up and then I get an error. I only set that up yesterday so maybe it'll take a while to work. I'll try again in a couple days.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I foolishly expected a new 2 day sale right after Mega Man went back to the normal price this morning.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

God drat, why I love that game. I just want some free nostalgia too NOA! I actually played the crap out of that game, while it left the base game mostly intact it added random fun distractions as well as that amazing* map screen!

*Please note this may be clouded by nostalgia

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

-Chibi Robo: Photo Finder (3DS); Chibi Robo game with an AR mechanic that utilises the 3DS' camera. Out January 9 in NA, demo coming "soon". (Wasn't mentioned on the NOE press release.)
I've been waiting like three Nintendo Directs for a localisation of this to be announced and I swear to god if this doesn't come out in Europe I am going to go insane.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I missed this last night, but NOE posted this on their Twitter:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Jesus if they did the equivalent in America I'd buy Rayman, Splinter Cell, and Ducktales for sure