Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Is there a reason I can only use one tech at a time? Kind of defeats the purpose of having multiple tech slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I started up a new character. On planet 1 I stumbled across an apex lab and several human outposts and chests all over. By planet 2, I had this:

Glitch/Floran interaction is the best :3:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Well, not really. It still allows you to swap between 4 skills at your desire. Some techs also step on each others foots a bit as well.

But yeah, not being able to use multiple techs is a bit of a let down. I'm sure it won't be that way forever.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Damo posted:

Well, not really. It still allows you to swap between 4 skills at your desire. Some techs also step on each others foots a bit as well.

But yeah, not being able to use multiple techs is a bit of a let down. I'm sure it won't be that way forever.

Well all I've got are Energy Dash and Pulse Jump, which aren't really skills you're going to switch on and off. You want to have those things on pretty much all the time.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I regret not doing this when it was brought up before, but googling isn't yielding any decent results. How do I mod the matter manipulator to mine really fast and kinda large, like 4 or 5 radius?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Failboattootoot posted:

I regret not doing this when it was brought up before, but googling isn't yielding any decent results. How do I mod the matter manipulator to mine really fast and kinda large, like 4 or 5 radius?
The file you want to edit is named "beamaxe.beamaxe" and it's under assets/items/tools and you want to change "fireTime" and "blockRadius" from the first chunk of stuff. fireTime goes down - 0.05 is about as fast as the best pickaxe, 0.01 is unreal fast, etc.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The file you want to edit is named "beamaxe.beamaxe" and it's under assets/items/tools and you want to change "fireTime" and "blockRadius" from the first chunk of stuff. fireTime goes down - 0.05 is about as fast as the best pickaxe, 0.01 is unreal fast, etc.

Huh, that's what I tried editing (with notepad++)but the game refused to load after changing firetime to .01 and blockradius to 4,

Edit: VVVV it wasn't on.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 16, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Turn off word wrap.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I really wish the windows on your ship were background items that could be wall-papered over.

They're loving with my feng shui

Iny posted:

Yeah.

Basically, scanning is awful in like five different ways.

1) You shouldn't lose the item you're scanning.
2) You shouldn't have to pay to scan things.
3) You shouldn't have to steal an item and lug it back up to the ship in order to scan it. Disagree, stealing is fun. Plus I like finding new things, than stealing them :D
4) The prices should be quite a lot lower.
5) You should be able to scan-and-print anything, not just uncraftable decorative items--and a small subset of those at that. Disagree, I like the idea of certain items being more or less difficult to obtain.

I mostly agree, I mean with the ore situation right now I'm not having trouble printing poo poo, but that's because I'm max tier and have way too much ore and there is NOTHING to buy with pixels, I am just throwing away absurd amounts to have every furniture piece in my database, let alone if I want to print anything.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 16, 2013

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Huh, that's what I tried editing (with notepad++)but the game refused to load after changing firetime to .01 and blockradius to 4,

Edit: VVVV it wasn't on.

Yours looks like this?

quote:

"fireTime" : 0.0001,
"blockRadius" : 4,

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Figured it out! Loaded up the server and it said it was detecting a duplicate file, so I moved my beam.beamaxe back up to my desktop and then it loaded fine. Thanks for the help!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So what does the Rocket Jump tech... do?

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

So what does the Rocket Jump tech... do?

Hold up and jump.
It makes you jump very high.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is that ship missing a tech/3d printer terminal?

Edit: Fixed.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 16, 2013

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

If you could use multiple non conflicting techs I'd use rocket jump / bubble dash, pulse jump, energy dash and targeted blink all day errday.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Made a bunch of tweaks to it to make it somewhat usable, but it is a bit overpowered. Never-the-less, I present you goons with a firemaker for your enjoyment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz7lv8r6zt5d1ws/flamecaster.rar

I couldn't quite figure out how to set it to do tile damage, else I liked the idea of making it burn wood structures.
Just drop the firecaster folder into your mods folder and you should be good to go!

edit: it seems until the next patch, you'll have to still manually edit your player.config to match:

quote:

"tier1" : [
{ "item" : "flamecaster" },

Enjoy!

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 16, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The problem I have with turning anything into pixels rather than just ore is that, even if you don't count blocks, you've now turned every decorative item into an either/or choice.
You could mulch it for money, or keep it for literally no practical reason. Admittedly that's already sort of an issue with the 3d printer but this really puts a much finer point on it and doesn't really offer an alternative.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Morphball tech is such a let-down too, if it negated fall damage it might be useful but as it stands it is a waste of a slot.

Except when you make a gum-ball machine out of wood platforms~

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When can I start finding uranium, or whatever else it is that fuels my ship but is not coal? I'm in Delta sector, do I just dig down and it'll be around now, or do I have to get to the fifth sector?

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When can I start finding uranium, or whatever else it is that fuels my ship but is not coal? I'm in Delta sector, do I just dig down and it'll be around now, or do I have to get to the fifth sector?

Never found any in Delta. Never stopped finding any in X. (But X has threat levels 5~10, so I don't know if that's true everywhere.)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

SynthOrange posted:

Glitch/Floran interaction is the best :3:
Yeah

All of them look so hyped :allears:

More random discoveries from STD Bot

I wish you could capture them for your own little farm.

This is the fanciest Glitch King I have seen so far.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

If you grappling hook yourself to something and reel in than morphball you retain your momentum infinitely... This means you can hurl yourself ridiculously fast sideways or upwards, like fast enough that you can beat the chunk loading times and reach the upper limit of space before you freeze.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 16, 2013

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Vib Rib posted:

The problem I have with turning anything into pixels rather than just ore is that, even if you don't count blocks, you've now turned every decorative item into an either/or choice.
You could mulch it for money, or keep it for literally no practical reason. Admittedly that's already sort of an issue with the 3d printer but this really puts a much finer point on it and doesn't really offer an alternative.

Right now you either ignore the things you might sell or just trash them.

Or hoard them in a dozen boxes that you really should be able to move with the matter manipulator without breaking them open and having to shift around gobs of dungeon decorations.

as soon as the "beam to home planet" update hits I am building an awesome storage base and filling it up with things. All the things. And Tesla traps.

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Denzine posted:

Right now you either ignore the things you might sell or just trash them.

Or hoard them in a dozen boxes that you really should be able to move with the matter manipulator without breaking them open and having to shift around gobs of dungeon decorations.

as soon as the "beam to home planet" update hits I am building an awesome storage base and filling it up with things. All the things. And Tesla traps.

I think I'll end up doing something like that too, maybe doing my best to recreate the warehouse from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Funny how changing the color from greys made it look a bit better.

Still not sure how much detail I should try to put into the exterior. Shading is what is really killing me.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

If you stuck some round headlights on the front it would look like a vintage car.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

My new favorite grief is to place a propeller in someone's landing zone.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

VulgarandStupid posted:

My new favorite grief is to place a propeller in someone's landing zone.

Just keep in mind that this basically bricks their entire character and I think they have to edit their save data to get it back in. (unless you can just immediately duck to dodge it, heard someone mention that somewhere)

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Shields are pretty awesome you guys.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Aw, jeez, I finally get through the UFO thing for the first time when I realize I never downloaded the patch that came out right after I got the game. Getting all the materials for my first couple sets of armor was such a slog, and all the starting planets seem to be so empty! Is the word on the site true that you need to start a whole new character to get the benefits of new patches?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Some of the stuff needs a new character, balance things in particular, some don't. Anything to do with redistribution of materials like ore will almost certainly need a new character/universe.

As their roadmap says, this stage of beta isn't for you if you're not happy about having to start over often.

e: maybe not often, but at all.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Is this the same deal as Minecraft where it's cheaper to buy the game while it's still in beta?

Also what's the deal with patches and updates? Do you need to start a new game every time one of those drops?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

itsnice2bnice posted:

Also what's the deal with patches and updates? Do you need to start a new game every time one of those drops?

Early access is full price. You're basically preordering, but with the bonus of having access to every build up to V1.0. If you're in the UK, it's significantly cheaper to buy it via the Humble Store though.

As for updates, it depends what they change. Right now they're doing a lot of tweaking to the game at the world-generation level, so you're not going to see fixes unless you nuke everything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

itsnice2bnice posted:

Is this the same deal as Minecraft where it's cheaper to buy the game while it's still in beta?

Pretty sure it's the same price now as it will be at official launch, sales excluded, but not 100% certain.

Sometimes you need to start a new game, sometimes you don't. Don't get too attached, and you'll know a guaranteed wipe is coming when the thread posts about it, so keep an eye on this thread or the Starbound twitter to have the heads up on those.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Soooo... we are certain that the brain extractor is RNG? There is no trick like "kill members of the playable races" or something to get the superior brain?

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Kikas posted:

Soooo... we are certain that the brain extractor is RNG? There is no trick like "kill members of the playable races" or something to get the superior brain?

They don't even drop brains, actually.

Just keep de-braining wild animals.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Dice Dingus posted:

Aw, jeez, I finally get through the UFO thing for the first time when I realize I never downloaded the patch that came out right after I got the game. Getting all the materials for my first couple sets of armor was such a slog, and all the starting planets seem to be so empty! Is the word on the site true that you need to start a whole new character to get the benefits of new patches?

At this point, I usually just start an identical character, then edit in the inventory from my previous character.

That Guy from Tech
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah I'll fix your computer... After this heroic...
So after the constant struggle of trying to keep my ship fueled from Alpha through Delta sectors, X Sector was a godsend. Literally finding 200+ uranium just on the surface of one planet is absolutely nuts and I love it.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Kikas posted:

Tougher monsters seemed to drop them more frequently for me. While my friends were all zapping low level monsters I went to a tougher planet and ended up with 4 brains pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Combat Shotgun posted:

The more I'm working on this crap the more I'm thinking about something like this...however I don't have the time or patience for that. Adding other races would be awesome and something I might play with at some point, although I'm not sure what the support is for non-humanoid races.

It would be cool if they implemented a random-generated hiveworld type planet. Lots of dingy above and underground living areas, npcs and big spires and stuff.

I mean, looking at this image practically begs for it, but it would probably run like poo poo

edit: Thinking about this, a Necromunda mod would be more doable I think, with gangs in place of races.

Tried to shoot you a PM. Once the game is a bit more developed i'll have more time to work on a mod like either that or a TC, depending on if the devs add in the whole "AI settlements build themselves up over time" thing they mentioned way back. If they do I could see some hilarious modding potential there that'd turn planets into war zones. I just lack the necessary art skills to do it justice. :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 16, 2013

• Locked thread