Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

emotionsleaking posted:

Fortunately, I don't actually know these people, but unfortunately, this was a real conversation

Good lord, no, kids. The surface of the world is 70% covered by water, but less than 0.02% of the world's total mass is water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Henchman of Santa posted:

What the hell is anthropomorphic climate change?

Climate change caused by people. As opposed to climate change that just happens for reasons because nature.

"Prove climate change exists. [evidence] Okay, climate change exists. Now prove that this particular climate change is caused by human action, not nature."

The next step in crazy climate change denial is my favorite though,

"Okay, climate change exists and we're causing it. Now prove that human caused climate change is a bad thing. Maybe we were on our way to another ice age, and greenhouse gasses are the only thing keeping us all from living in igloos."

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Angela Christine posted:

Climate change caused by people. As opposed to climate change that just happens for reasons because nature.

"Prove climate change exists. [evidence] Okay, climate change exists. Now prove that this particular climate change is caused by human action, not nature."

The next step in crazy climate change denial is my favorite though,

"Okay, climate change exists and we're causing it. Now prove that human caused climate change is a bad thing. Maybe we were on our way to another ice age, and greenhouse gasses are the only thing keeping us all from living in igloos."

That's anthropogenic global warming. Anthropomorphic global warming would be global warming personified as a humanoid mascot.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LaughMyselfTo posted:

That's anthropogenic global warming. Anthropomorphic global warming would be global warming personified as a humanoid mascot.

Oh, wow, you're right.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

into the void posted:

Wow. That thread is bringing back some real trauma from when I was in college and was around people who believed poo poo like that. While my class on disability was fascinating, it was filled with a bunch of special snowflakes trying to tell me that the hospitals were oppressive because they didn't incorporate all methods of healing. Because an ER doctor should consider the patient's belief in crystal healing and not always turn to Western Medicine. And maybe schizophrenia isn't a disorder, but just a different way of thinking.

Maybe you should include a trigger warning with that link, you insensitive bastard. Your privilege is showing.

I really liked your A/T thread, but I don't think this subject came up in there. Did you ever have patients who tried to refuse "Western" medicine and try to get you to get them a faith healer or whatever?

e:

Angela Christine posted:

Oh, wow, you're right.

This probably exists. I'm not googling to find out.

razorrozar has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Dec 16, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

razorrozar posted:

I really liked your A/T thread, but I don't think this subject came up in there. Did you ever have patients who tried to refuse "Western" medicine and try to get you to get them a faith healer or whatever?

e:

This probably exists. I'm not googling to find out.

Follow up question: (how hard) did you laugh in their faces?

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

razorrozar posted:

Not that I can think of. I'll tell you right now, if any patient tried to bring a crystal onto that unit, I'd laugh. If only because I might as well be handing them a shard of glass to prance around with on the unit. Overall, most mentally ill people knew they were mentally ill and wanted to get better. The manic bipolars were the closest you'd get to mental illness being "like, your opinion man". But even they'd take their meds, if only to get out of there.

We did have one paranoid schizophrenic who believed we were trying to poison him, so he initially refused to eat or take his meds. We finally got him to by letting him see a priest every day to read him his last rites. And for a Catholic hospital all about caring for the sick and poor, those priests would have rather ripped off their own arm than come to the psych ward. So as you can imagine, it was real tough to get one to come in every day and sit with him for an hour. They always left looking really pissed off, like we were wasting their precious time. I'd just give them my best "see you tomorrow, bro" smile.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

into the void posted:

And for a Catholic hospital all about caring for the sick and poor, those priests would have rather ripped off their own arm than come to the psych ward.

What? Why?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Tiggum posted:

What? Why?

Because there's the abstract "help the poor and the sick" and then there's the reality of spending time in a small room listening to an unmedicated schizophrenic's thoughts on Jesus.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Tiggum posted:

What? Why?

If I had to guess, the priests view mental illness as "it's all just in their heads" rather than as legitimate problems. I despise that kind of thinking.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lyz posted:

Please be joking, last commenter. =/

Check out the #freejahar tag on tumblr sometime.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Right wing nutso page unironically posts that "For God and Country" picture from Bioshock Infinite.

Kaiju Cage Match has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Dec 16, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Aerdan posted:

If I had to guess, the priests view mental illness as "it's all just in their heads" rather than as legitimate problems. I despise that kind of thinking.

I don't think this is usually a Catholic position, that seems more fundamentalist to me. It was probably for the reason J Miracle mentioned, that dealing with the mentally ill is really hard.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

J Miracle posted:

Because there's the abstract "help the poor and the sick" and then there's the reality of spending time in a small room listening to an unmedicated schizophrenic's thoughts on Jesus.
At least they got to leave after an hour. Try being the poor bastard trying to sleep on the cot between the schizophrenic and the guy who only stops jacking off when the nurse does a check.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

J Miracle posted:

I was going to be a dick about it and say that once exorcism is off the table, I guess crazy people aren't so fun, are they? But yeah. But what you said is basically it. It takes a lot of understanding and compassion to sit and talk with people who are mentally ill. It's apart of a larger problem that many people think that the mentally ill are just burdens on the system. They aren't really sick and just need to pull their poo poo together. We got this same attitude from nurses and other doctors, who wrote off the patient the moment they saw a DSM diagnosis. We had a doctor tell us they were not accepting one of our patients onto their ICU until we "fixed her brain". This woman was refusing to eat or drink because she was terrified of having incontinence. She was badly dehydrated and we couldn't exactly hold her down and force water down her throat. But yeah, I guess her brain was broke, so why bother?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Over the past week or so, the power has been going out in parts of my hometown, with different power companies and extreme weather conditions. Of course, this all means it's a conspiracy:

Not anonymizing anyone because they're posting on a public page.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Right wing nutso page unironically posts that "For God and Country" picture from Bioshock Infinite.

Well at least they're honest about their racism?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Having a Native American in the mass of foreigners was a nice touch :ironicat:

made of bees
May 21, 2013
If I'm not mistaken, the guy in between the Coolie and the dastardly Turk is also some sort of native.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
can we take a moment to talk about Washington's ridiculous ability to hold the Liberty Bell at arm's length? Dude must have Liefeld biceps under that jacket

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Oh, Reddit. :allears:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

gco posted:

Oh, Reddit. :allears:

Answer my knock knock joke so I can say how much I don't care about your opinions!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Jack Krauser posted:

Over the past week or so, the power has been going out in parts of my hometown, with different power companies and extreme weather conditions. Of course, this all means it's a conspiracy:

Oh man my mom started getting into conspiracy stuff(she has said sheeple un ironically) and heard about the scheduled power outages that happened about a month ago. She and her husband were convinced some huge catastrophic event was going to happen and I should try to get to them as soon as said event went down.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Here's a bigger version of the pic:

The full rez lets you really appreciate that Jewish caricature. :wtc:

rhoga has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Dec 16, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Now all we need is some Occupy page to post some Vox Populi stuff and we'll come full circle.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
It's beautiful in that it has Incans/Amazonians, North American tribes, and Aztec/Mayans.

modernwinglish
Dec 28, 2012

I'll squawk the world and molt with you
Wake up, sheeple!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

modernwinglish posted:

Wake up, sheeple!

Well if they're modifying the weather, it's probably to try and counteract global warming by fighting storms and maintaining good growing weather. Hooray for chemtrails!

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Jack Krauser posted:

Ahaha holy poo poo "I was running on my treadmill and then it stopped. I'm clueless as to what to do now."

Really dude? How about light a candle and read a book or something, I don't know man. All I can picture is this poor idiot standing on his now stopped treadmill in the dark desperately trying to figure out what he should do next.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I must know what the comments for this is like.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

modernwinglish posted:

Wake up, sheeple!

She graduated at the top of her class, guys. This changes everything.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

MizPiz posted:

I must know what the comments for this is like.

I only saw a couple of comments but they were pointing out it was from the game. But the picture is taken down now, so I guess they realized.

Here's some guy complaining about GEICO:

National Liberty Federation posted:

Have you seen GEICO's latest commercial? Where the gecko drops his tea bag in Boston Harbor and declares "I guess this party's over"?

How fitting from a company built on government largess.

I'm sure the commercial is intended as a nuanced and multilayered message. On the surface, a partisan comment on the greatly exaggerated demise of the modern American Tea Party, you know, that loosely unorganized and unaffiliated movement of American citizen taxpayers who have had quite enough of big government corruption and cronyism, hence the acronym TEA for Taxed Enough Already.

Between President Obama, his Democratic allies and operatives including the mainstream media and the Republican establishment, the Tea Party has become a quite popular and very easy target. To hear them tell it, it is the root of all evil and all that is wrong with American politics and our political discourse today. Given this environment, is it any surprise that a company whose origin and continued success are directly attributable to big government is eager to pile on?

Yet in associating the "end of the party" directly with Boston Harbor, the cute little gecko may have overstepped his bounds. This goes beyond the modern American Tea Party, which has no connection, beyond symbolically, to Boston Harbor and directly to the great American experiment in self governance that can be said to have started at Boston Harbor.

The experiment that resulted in the constitutional republic that, with all its fleas, remains to this day unparalleled in the world. The one that every elected official in the land, Democrats and President Obama included, have sworn an oath to protect and defend.

This is what we've come to in the age of Obama. The declaration of the end of the great American experiment in self-governance by a cartoon character with a foreign accent representing a corporation who owes its existence and continued success to big government, declaring an end to all that generations of American patriots have fought and died to defend.

I don't patronize GEICO and if I did, needless to say, I wouldn't any longer.

Marcus Ebenhack - AMERICAN THINKER

And this wonderful piece of art accompanies this giant rant:

Kaiju Cage Match has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Dec 16, 2013

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Here's the same guys complaining about GEICO:

:wtc:
It's literally just a "tea, Boston Harbor, party, GET IT?" joke. There's nothing more there. Or did these idiots actually forget that the even in which people threw tea into the Boston Harbor was called the Boston Tea Party a quarter-millennium before anyone started stapling tea bags to their hats and wearing Purple Heart bandages?

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

- - -

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Apr 2, 2014

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Someone I used to work with always posts stuff like this.

:nws: for blood :nws:
Yes, let's justify a soldier murdering someone for his own personal satisfaction because this other thing happened! (Also he totally was putting him out of his misery when he said "Shuffle off this mortal coil you oval office." fyi)

And also things like "Prison Inmates don't have to sleep on cold concrete floors, so why should shelter animals?!"

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Kavak posted:

Well if they're modifying the weather, it's probably to try and counteract global warming by fighting storms and maintaining good growing weather. Hooray for chemtrails!

Well it's not as if cloud seeding is a new thing. The most notable instance comes to mind from the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Loki_XLII posted:

Oh, poo poo, is he? I didn't realize that, I just thought it was calling him a sperg in the "self-diagnosed, we make fun of these people sense". I even did a cursory google search to make sure. Oh well, guess this might have been in bad taste.

Kevin Smith is certainly worthy of being mocked, but I'll wait till he actually does something stupid on social media.

Nah, I'm pretty sure he isn't. Mock away if you see something to mock.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Falken posted:

Someone I used to work with always posts stuff like this.

:nws: for blood :nws:
Yes, let's justify a soldier murdering someone for his own personal satisfaction because this other thing happened! (Also he totally was putting him out of his misery when he said "Shuffle off this mortal coil you oval office." fyi)

And also things like "Prison Inmates don't have to sleep on cold concrete floors, so why should shelter animals?!"

The cognitive dissonance necessary to post an incredibly famous picture of a well-publicized event and then say it was "swept under the rug" is just inspiring to me.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Vriess posted:

It's beautiful in that it has Incans/Amazonians, North American tribes, and Aztec/Mayans.

Kill them all, let Quetzalcoatl sort them out :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
More from "Global Warming? Heh, it's getting COLDER, idiot liberals" guy on Facebook.

He's got us there, guys. :(

As an added bonus, the "Shares" are up to three. All of which are shared by him, either to others' pages or to add that little zinger about the National Weather Service. I've tried to defriend this guy but his idiocy really is the gift that keeps on giving, all year long. :allears:

• Locked thread