Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
When I met the guys I'm working with this week I mentioned that it snowed in Egypt for the first time in like 112 years as sort of an ice breaker. It was just something I heard on the radio on my way to work. One of them said something dumb about global warming and the other said something dumb/racist about Egyptians.

looks like I can't talk about anything this trip. No topic is safe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Timett posted:

When I met the guys I'm working with this week I mentioned that it snowed in Egypt for the first time in like 112 years as sort of an ice breaker. It was just something I heard on the radio on my way to work. One of them said something dumb about global warming and the other said something dumb/racist about Egyptians.

Sounds like you hit the jackpot

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Gygaxian posted:

Question; is there any truth to the claim that NYC mayor-elect Bill de Blasio is creating a gun registry? My right-wing neighbors are claiming that he is, and they're claiming that he's doing it as a prelude to GUN CONFISCATION!!!1!

Now obviously the second part of that claim is dumb, but all I've heard about de Blasio is the pre-kindergarden funding and the ending of stop-and-frisk.
No, he doesn't need to. All handguns in NY State are registered, and NYC requires all long guns to be registered as well. In fact, NYC even used that registry during the Dinkins administration to seize all the assault weapons. It's basically exactly like what the right-wingers fear and what some people in this very forum are advocating, so, you know, stopped clock and whatnot.

de Blasio has been quoted as saying Bloomberg didn't go far enough with his anti-gun agenda, so take from that what you will.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Timett posted:

Apart from the dumb need to bring politics into everything, I love the idea of thinking that a weather event unseen for 112 years is evidence of climate change not occurring.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Timett posted:

Was the dumb/racist thing about Egyptians related to the fact that it snowed? C'mon now, did the guy somehow blame Egyptians for the weather in Egypt :allears:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

It's God's revenge on behalf of the Israelites.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Was the dumb/racist thing about Egyptians related to the fact that it snowed? C'mon now, did the guy somehow blame Egyptians for the weather in Egypt :allears:
Putting my bet on some variant of "they were all confused because they'd never seen it before and are too ignorant to know of anything outside their borders :downswords:".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Guavanaut posted:

Putting my bet on some variant of "they were all confused because they'd never seen it before and are too ignorant to know of anything outside their borders :downswords:".

That's not particularly racist- I make that joke toward relatives living in SC.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Actually had this pop up on my twitter feed.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Call Me Charlie posted:

All of the numbers other than corporate subsidies are overly exact. Maybe it's an edit of an earlier chart?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

so, um, there's been this twitter trend that's popped up on my feed called:

#NotYourAsianSidekick

Which I found out was started by some Asian Feminist blogger to discuss Asian Feminism over twitter. I did orignally track it down and found this as one of her tweets:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/notyourasiansidekick-unites-thousands-to-discuss-asian-ameri

Suey Park ‏@suey_park 15h
So many of my queer white friends ASSUME they get my struggle because *intersectionality*. No. You're still white. #NotYourAsianSidekick

I don't know..I don't really appreciate that kind of notion/attitude. I have gay friends (my brother is actually an ally in a LGBTS club, which has made me rather proud :3:), and I don't like to have it be the "Olympics of suffering" between two groups of people.

I agree with feminism (I'm pro-choice, feel that women should definitely receive equal pay, and should have an equal voice in our society, work place, etc), just...something about that tweet and the general attitude I've found from that women kind of bugged me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think she's more venting that a lot of people take 'interectionality' as a broad concept and try to use it as an excuse to go 'yea you have to deal with legit gross rear end poo poo coming at you in dating sites because your race has been fetishized as some kinda legal sex slave domestic goddess? Yea man I get that, there's dating problems in gay communities too so, ya know, we share the struggle' and kinda downplay her issues in an attempt to say they also have problems.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 16, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think she's more venting that a lot of people take 'internationalist' as a broad concept and try to use it as an excuse to go 'yea you have to deal with legit gross rear end poo poo coming at you in dating sites because your race has been fetishized as some kinda legal sex slave domestic goddess? Yea man I get that, there's dating problems in gay communities too so, ya know, we share the struggle' and kinda downplay her issues in an attempt to say they also have problems.

I could understand that more so, and that would be terrible to go through. (I mean I don't "understand" what she's going through, but I do understand more so what she was talking about).

I appreciate your post by the way, as it gave me much more of a perspective and context on the issue rather than attempting to read her tweets.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have no idea why I wrote internationalist and not intersectionality though :downs:

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I think it's an off shoot of #solidarityisforwhitewomen, which was started this summer by Mikki Kendal (an African American woman) and raised a lot of the ways in which feminism mainly dealt with the equality issues facing upper middle-class white women, expose the tendency of feminism to exclude the experiences and narratives of women of color.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I've seen a version of that poster with some sources cited, same numbers. Let me see if I can find it.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
Graaaaarg all my hyper elite students think the poors are demanding a $15.00 minimum wage and it will ruin the economy because the vast majority of them are deluded little neoliberals and libertarians. I can't post actual text because ethics but I have had several people propose the dismantling of public schools because private enterprise would do it better and at least two suggest to me that we should limit the power of the 14th amendment and give states the power to secede and/or nullify laws to roll back the stifling power of the federal government. Ugh. I have to be neutral as a teacher and I am but man, does it make my eyeballs itch once every few weeks.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

When I think back to my first year of college in 2005 I think of what a shithead internet libertarian I was. I've thought more than once about writing apologies to my history and English teachers for the dumb poo poo I wrote but I'm sure they've forgotten about it in the wave of filth they must get turned in to them year after year.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
It's neutral to challenge the ideas students present by encouraging critical thinking, right? Obviously if these are term papers or something there's not a great way to do that, but if they are voicing that aloud in discussions it would seem a good time to take 5 minutes with the class and walk through conclusions piece by piece maybe?

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

BrotherAdso posted:

Graaaaarg all my hyper elite students think the poors are demanding a $15.00 minimum wage and it will ruin the economy because the vast majority of them are deluded little neoliberals and libertarians. I can't post actual text because ethics but I have had several people propose the dismantling of public schools because private enterprise would do it better and at least two suggest to me that we should limit the power of the 14th amendment and give states the power to secede and/or nullify laws to roll back the stifling power of the federal government. Ugh. I have to be neutral as a teacher and I am but man, does it make my eyeballs itch once every few weeks.

Ask them what evidence leads to their conclusion. I'm sure that will be good for a lark :D

Soviet Commubot posted:

When I think back to my first year of college in 2005 I think of what a shithead internet libertarian I was. I've thought more than once about writing apologies to my history and English teachers for the dumb poo poo I wrote but I'm sure they've forgotten about it in the wave of filth they must get turned in to them year after year.

gently caress I was too. Must be a rite of passage or something, discarding childish things when transitioning into adulthood.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

gently caress I was too. Must be a rite of passage or something, discarding childish things when transitioning into adulthood.

I was 23 and poor as hell, I should have known better :negative:

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I love the implication - actually, not so much implied as stated - that the Medicare tax is actually being paid into a personal fund. So it's okay to take Medicare, because you paid into it.

"See, this government healthcare is okay because I paid for it!"

Walter fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 17, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Davethulhu posted:

All of the numbers other than corporate subsidies are overly exact. Maybe it's an edit of an earlier chart?

I could believe the last one. Corporate subsidies have no real world reason for existing, so therefore the numbers are pulled out at complete and total random. So they default to a round number. .8% on 50,000.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Walter posted:

I love the implication - actually, not so much implied as stated - that the Medicare tax is actually being paid into a personal fund. So it's okay to take Medicare, because you paid into it.

"See, this government healthcare is okay because I paid for it!"

Uh, it's referring to the idea that the Tea Party thinks that Medicare is some program that just takes money from hard-working people to pay for mooching freeloader Welfare Queens with seventeen kids to go to the ER and not have to pay. Probably also that Tea Partiers have been using the phrase "Keep Government Out of My Medicare" (emphasis mine) on signs.

Is everyone missing that this is an anti Tea Party image? The whole thing about Corporate Subsidies is playing on the fact that the Tea Party rails against any government program that actually gives money to people who need it, calling them "freeloaders", but completely ignore the fact that a disproportionate amount of tax revenue is being funneled into corporations who turn profits and still somehow get tax refunds.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

I was an Objectivist*. There is no greater shame
:negative:

*I stayed Libertarian even after I rejected Objectivism one I read Rand's anti-science views on evolution and modern physics. It took the recession to wake me up from that one.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Soviet Commubot posted:

I was around that age too and in the same circumstances.

VitalSigns posted:

It took the recession to wake me up from that one.

For me it was that plus completing my undergraduate in economics. It's a bit of trip in that discipline - in the first and second years they set you up with the theory and you're thinking "hell yeah rational decision making! We don't need no nanny state!" Then the last years show you why that type of thinking is wrong in great mathematical detail; almost nobody retains any libertarian leanings after that unless they are exceptionally dishonest.

Taaaaaaarb! fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 17, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Staryberry posted:

I think it's an off shoot of #solidarityisforwhitewomen, which was started this summer by Mikki Kendal (an African American woman) and raised a lot of the ways in which feminism mainly dealt with the equality issues facing upper middle-class white women, expose the tendency of feminism to exclude the experiences and narratives of women of color.

I'm more interested in reading the stories, and seeing the potential trials faced by those than say reading it on twitter/tumblr.

I find I'll get a lot more via the context of a news article, lecture or a conversation than by someone simply posing with a cardboard sign or by someone posting a real bad meme.

The message I feel doesn't seem like it makes as a significant impact on social media sometimes IMO.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I concur. I'm not on twitter at all, so I didn't really hear about it until other blogs started responding to it. I don't think a catch phrase, on its own, causes much change in the world, but this one seemed to spark a useful conversation in some circles.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

VitalSigns posted:

I was an Objectivist*. There is no greater shame
:negative:

*I stayed Libertarian even after I rejected Objectivism one I read Rand's anti-science views on evolution and modern physics. It took the recession to wake me up from that one.

For my 8th Grade Social Studies Thesis (if you could even call it that), I wrote an 8 page paper on why affirmative action was A Bad Thing; an idea which sprung to mind based on the idea that "I don't hate black people or discriminate against them, so why should they get preferential treatment?" and a story my dad always harped on where he claims to have been rejected for a job after being courted for an interview because the interviewer thought he was black based on his last name. (note: Our last name is Italian as gently caress, and could maybe be confused as Hispanic if you were just that much of an idiot.)

Go go sheltered suburban upbringing!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Is everyone missing that this is an anti Tea Party image? The whole thing about Corporate Subsidies is playing on the fact that the Tea Party rails against any government program that actually gives money to people who need it, calling them "freeloaders", but completely ignore the fact that a disproportionate amount of tax revenue is being funneled into corporations who turn profits and still somehow get tax refunds.
The font and coloring isn't doing it any favors. It looks like the ramblings of a crazy person aesthetically. But yeah, the actual numbers on there basically show that the vast majority of your taxes go towards corporate subsidies instead of a bunch of personally useful stuff.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

The font and coloring isn't doing it any favors. It looks like the ramblings of a crazy person aesthetically. But yeah, the actual numbers on there basically show that the vast majority of your taxes go towards corporate subsidies instead of a bunch of personally useful stuff.

I like the idea, if not the execution.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Huge resurgence of anti-vaccine idiots on my Facebook recently. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

For my 8th Grade Social Studies Thesis (if you could even call it that), I wrote an 8 page paper on why affirmative action was A Bad Thing; an idea which sprung to mind based on the idea that "I don't hate black people or discriminate against them, so why should they get preferential treatment?" and a story my dad always harped on where he claims to have been rejected for a job after being courted for an interview because the interviewer thought he was black based on his last name. (note: Our last name is Italian as gently caress, and could maybe be confused as Hispanic if you were just that much of an idiot.)

Go go sheltered suburban upbringing!

I think almost every suburban white kid at one point thought "I'm not racist against black people, so why should I get punished by affirmative action?" since it's a logical question if you have no idea about systemic racism, white privilege, or any of those issues that typically are not taught at all. White middle and upper class kids are raised on the idea that racism is a bad thing from the past that congress bravely made illegal sometime in the 60s or 70s or something.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 17, 2013

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

EnsGDT posted:

Huge resurgence of anti-vaccine idiots on my Facebook recently. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

I've been seeing more pro vaccine/"what the gently caress is wrong with you anti vaccine people" posts on mine but I carefully curate my Facebook friends list down to people who I actually know and would want to hang out with so I'm not a good judge.

Might be why I like this thread. Gives me a taste of the crazy without having to deal with it personally very often.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Several prominent news hosts(the only one I can remember is Katie Couric) gave antivaxxers an uncritical hearing in the past few weeks. Jenny McCarthy was also hired as a host on The View.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 17, 2013

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

EnsGDT posted:

I see more anti-GMO stuff, but then again I'm from Canada's west coast, so...

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Ugh, this is the boat i'm in. No anti vaxxers but if I hear how we are all going to die of cancer because GMO again I might cut some folks off. I guess it's my fault for announcing publicly how much I enjoy the farmers market. drat it people, just because I like the market doesn't mean I subscribe to that particular crazy.

also - TUMORS IN RATS WHO ATE GMO ZOMG!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tigntink posted:

Ugh, this is the boat i'm in. No anti vaxxers but if I hear how we are all going to die of cancer because GMO again I might cut some folks off. I guess it's my fault for announcing publicly how much I enjoy the farmers market. drat it people, just because I like the market doesn't mean I subscribe to that particular crazy.

also - TUMORS IN RATS WHO ATE GMO ZOMG!

That reminds me of this guy from North Carolina whom I met in a Berlin hostel. He didn't like Obama, he thought the Republicans should get a chance to govern because we gave the Democrats a chance and look at all the debt (uh what? Which President took us from surplus to deficits, and which President has been cutting the deficit?), and the guy was gay. He can't be too young to remember 2004 when Republicans got their base to the polls with anti-gay state constitutional amendments.

I started to argue but he moved on to how GMO's were going to kill us all and I abruptly lost interest in the conversation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Anti-GMO people are only a step above anti-vaxxers anyway so yea, it's fair to lump them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I've been getting a lot of linked articles about this as well, mostly to the website real FARMacy. I mentioned to one relative (a cousin of mine) about how the vast majority of studies show that GMOs are safe, but they argued point-blank that GMOs are killing us.

So I asked why people are today living longer than any point in history.

He responded with "Well, we are sicker now then we were then, surely that is from the GMOs we eat everyday!"

I said "No, we are not. We no longer die from many diseases that used to be straight up fatal."

He then told me "You should know, KJ, I mean, you have diabetes!"

I do. Type 1. It's genetic. I told him that but it's been about a week since his last response.

I have "liked" pictures of his kids since tho. :unsmith: