Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
You are a very smart individual indeed.

Anyway I'm off to go watch "Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer" and "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". I suspect this combination to be highly enlightening as they both have killer in the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

You are a very smart individual indeed.

Anyway I'm off to go watch "Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer" and "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". I suspect this combination to be highly enlightening as they both have killer in the title.

Careful, I made this mistake with Requiem for a Dream and Little Nemo in Dreamland.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well I have to thank you for at least contributing to the fact that Whedon fanboys are even more condescending and single minded than I thought before. Enjoy both your film choices, they're good films too. If you think the main reason I thought Cabin In The Woods was a badly written, badly performed, unfunny and overall pointless movie that's completely and utterly overhyped because you don't have the ability to watch two films in a row then I honestly don't know what to say.

If you want, I can find you an email address to complain to HBO that Eastbound and Down was scheduled next to Boardwalk Empire. How DARE they! Who on this planet could possibly enjoy these two shows next to each other in the schedule? It's a disgrace.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not a Whedon fanboy I've never even seen Firefly :smug:

Kinda my point was that the outrageous negative reaction to Whedon on the internet is a bunch of whiny humorless nerds who cloud a visceral dislike of a man in a flurry of faux-critical analysis and pretensions to "higher art" and WELP.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 16, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I think that expectations play a huge part in experience, which also comes across pretty heavily in your post where you were dismayed about Cabin being a comedy. Pretty different going into Antichrist knowing about Von Trier followed up by Evil Dead 2 if you've seen Evil Dead.

Also I am huge Whedon fan boy. NOM NOM NOM ALIEN RESURRECTION NOM NOM NOM. Nothing here was you just being silly and defensive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love comedy, more than anything, so if Cabin in the Woods had turned out to be funny I would have had no problem with that whatsoever. It would've been a nice comedown after Berberian. The fact that the fans reactions to it completely oversold it is the point I have now made repeatedly, yet you still haven't taken onboard. The keyword in my original post was 'weak', not 'comedy'.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Some serious slapfighting going down here.

I'm binging Homeland S3 and Claire Danes really has that neurotic crazy paranoid don't-touch-me-with-a-ten-foot-pole act down to an art. Those crazy eyes :shepface:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

BrooklynBruiser posted:

e: Dammit, zoux!

The "I don't think Joss Whedon is that good" people have outnumbered the "I worship Joss Whedon" people at least two to one for years now, fyi.

I think Whedon's name still holds quite a bit of fan cache, though. I think part of the problem is that that era of his fanbase that grew up with Buffy have now sort of moved on to different things and they're just not as passionate about the show as they were in its prime. Now they're probably obsessed with Glee or what not.

Also, Whedon works have tended to find a second life here and there that adds to the sense that Whedon knows better, the Networks are idiots and the fans are right. People want to act like the geek fandom wasn't opposed to Firefly when it was going to air, but blames Fox for everything that failed with the show. Buffy got second life with the comic book expanded seasons that made people claim that a continuation of the series would have been as good/better than that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Buffy and Angel are garbage yet I really enjoyed Avengers and Cabin in the Woods. See guys, there is a middle ground where you can dislike and like stuff made by the same person!

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Well tickle a pickle... I just looked it up and apparently Whedon only wrote Alien Resurrection. Jean-Pierre Jeunet directed that.

Don't know how I could forget that that with the "City of Lost Children" vibes and casting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I think Buffy and Angel are garbage yet I really enjoyed Avengers and Cabin in the Woods. See guys, there is a middle ground where you can dislike and like stuff made by the same person!

You milquetoast cowards will go against the wall with the rest of the heretics who deny the divinity of The Most Holy Whedon (PBUH) when The Reckoning occurs.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

You milquetoast cowards will go against the wall with the rest of the heretics who deny the divinity of The Most Holy Whedon (PBUH) when The Reckoning occurs.

Is there a way I can avoid the rapture while still not liking Dollhouse?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think Whedon's name still holds quite a bit of fan cache, though. I think part of the problem is that that era of his fanbase that grew up with Buffy have now sort of moved on to different things and they're just not as passionate about the show as they were in its prime. Now they're probably obsessed with Glee or what not.

Also, Whedon works have tended to find a second life here and there that adds to the sense that Whedon knows better, the Networks are idiots and the fans are right. People want to act like the geek fandom wasn't opposed to Firefly when it was going to air, but blames Fox for everything that failed with the show. Buffy got second life with the comic book expanded seasons that made people claim that a continuation of the series would have been as good/better than that.

It's also good to keep in mind that Whedon himself has graduated from niche genre auteur to billion-dollar blockbuster director these days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Well tickle a pickle... I just looked it up and apparently Whedon only wrote Alien Resurrection. Jean-Pierre Jeunet directed that.

I knew who the director was, but had no idea Whedon was the writer. Another bit of proof that knowledge of Whedon's involvement doesn't bias me into thinking some of the things he's made is garbage then. It makes me dislike him more though, as I'm one of those kind that thought Alien^3 was great and that Resurrection was the beginning of the end for the franchise. gently caress you Whedon!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

Blasphemer!

(Also another Whedon Joint I haven't seen).

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

hcreight posted:

After the first 6 or so episodes Dollhouse wasn't bad at all. I didn't like the Felicia Day future-timeline episodes as much as the rest of it, but they were certainly an interesting thing to do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm over as Felicia Day as hell. The Charlie Supernatural episodes are so loving obnoxious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone else despise Dr. Horrible?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm over as Felicia Day as hell. The Charlie Supernatural episodes are so loving obnoxious.

Isn't she just some youtube blogger or something? Like, not really an actress at all? What's she doing appearing on actual legit TV things when she demonstrably can't really act?

Who am I kidding, you could ask that of any number of actors.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Anyone else despise Dr. Horrible?

Captain Hammer, obviously.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cactus posted:

Isn't she just some youtube blogger or something? Like, not really an actress at all? What's she doing appearing on actual legit TV things when she demonstrably can't really act?

Who am I kidding, you could ask that of any number of actors.

Nah, she's got an acting background. I don't have anything against her personally, but the kind of roles she gets cast in are always as the cute geeky girl gamer and she's just so precious and twee as gently caress.

At the risk of imploding this thread in the ultimate pedant showdown, she's the geek version of the Manic Pixie Dreamgirl.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cactus posted:

What's she doing appearing on actual legit TV things when she demonstrably can't really act?

The Minka Kelly Story.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

zoux posted:

Nah, she's got an acting background. I don't have anything against her personally, but the kind of roles she gets cast in are always as the cute geeky girl gamer and she's just so precious and twee as gently caress.

At the risk of imploding this thread in the ultimate pedant showdown, she's the geek version of the Manic Pixie Dreamgirl.

I'm curious, would Doctors Ten and Eleven be the male version of the Manic Pixie Dreamgirl. Hyper Hipster Dreamboat?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zoux posted:

Le mot juste...

I can't believe I'm typing these words but, ahem "Family Guy Spoilers":

So how did they bring him back?
Stewie comes across this other Stewie that he sent into the future to buy a toy at Christmas time, and alternate Stewie has a time machine return pad in his backpack, so regular Stewie gets the new dog (Vinnie) to distract alternate Stewie and steals the pad out of alternate Stewie's backpack. Then he goes back to the moment before Brian got hit by the car and pushes Brian out of the way so Brian lives.

Jesus, that was a lot of words about Family Guy. I'm so ashamed :cripes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm curious, would Doctors Ten and Eleven be the male version of the Manic Pixie Dreamgirl. Hyper Hipster Dreamboat?

Honestly, an immortal, multidimensional temporal swashbuckler is an unrealistic standard to hold men to :colbert:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

zoux posted:

In Buffy she played a Vampire Slayer, and in Dollhouse a post-apocalyptic resistance fighter.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Deadpool posted:

The Minka Kelly Story.
Dianna Agron's movie career.

I was recently struck by how similar her non-acting is to Agron's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joramun posted:

In Buffy she played a Vampire Slayer, and in Dollhouse a post-apocalyptic resistance fighter.

Word? And how'd she pull those off?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Cactus posted:

I learned who she was yesterday in one of the threads about terrible youtube people. Well kind of, I learned she's a "gaming goddess" and that this guy really, really, really likes her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fcz29oCFIE

TRIGGER WARNING: really embarrassing... will make you cringe multiple times

Guess that's implied by all youtube videos though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

JediTalentAgent posted:

MPDB

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I learned who she was yesterday in one of the threads about terrible youtube people. Well kind of, I learned she's a "gaming goddess" and that this guy really, really, really likes her.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=JQfHdasuWtI&start1=539&video2=X2WH8mHJnhM&start2=0&authorName=Self+destruction

Same guy re: youtube copyright change.

Epic would.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I dropped off from this current season of AHS a few episodes back, did it get good yet? I posted here about how uncertain the show could be but I couldn't get my interest back up in catching up.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

Word? And how'd she pull those off?

I don't remember much about her Dollhouse character but on Buffy she was one of the eleventy billion Slayers in waiting living in Buffy's house during the final season so she didn't have to do much most of the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

I don't remember much about her Dollhouse character but on Buffy she was one of the eleventy billion Slayers in waiting living in Buffy's house during the final season so she didn't have to do much most of the time.

The only action-oriented role I've seen her do is in one of those Supernatural episodes and she was just terrible at it, of course it could've been part of the character. I knew who she played in Buffy but I quit watching mid-way through season six I think.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So true, yet I could care less :love:

I also enjoy Buffy and Angel and most Whedon related ventures (never seen Dollhouse), and Felicia Day seems a'okay apart from her following :)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

zoux posted:

The only action-oriented role I've seen her do is in one of those Supernatural episodes and she was just terrible at it, of course it could've been part of the character. I knew who she played in Buffy but I quit watching mid-way through season six I think.

Buffy ended in Season 5 and then they made a random musical episode(that was awesome) for no reason. Nope, no seasons 6 or 7, didn't happen. Don't know what you're talking about. AND there certainly weren't any completely abysmal comics after the series ended.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I reached about 40 seconds and had to turn it off.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I enjoy Whedon's oeuvre, though he wears on me and the endless slapfights about him make me hate him.

I like Felicia Day well enough, though she can grate, but the endless slapfights about her make me like her even more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Slamhound posted:

the endless slapfights about him make me hate him.

They just make me hate the people in them.

A few years ago the Whedon slapfight was the Kevin Smith slapfight. How does that make you feel, slapfighters? 10 years from now people will look upon you like you now look upon Kevin Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Buffy ended in Season 5 and then they made a random musical episode(that was awesome) for no reason. Nope, no seasons 6 or 7, didn't happen. Don't know what you're talking about. AND there certainly weren't any completely abysmal comics after the series ended.

The first half of S7 was the best the show had been since the third season. It kind of poo poo the bed after that, but I still have pleasant memories b/c of that.

• Locked thread