Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

-Zydeco- posted:

Go to the universe folder in the starbound directory. Find the coordinates for the planet you want to erase and erase the three files who's first two numbers of the file names match those coordinates.

I'd say it's pretty cheesable though this strategy works on all of them except for the robot which just needs the same idea tipped on its side.

I'd say that's not trivial because it doesn't let you use melee weapons and thus takes for loving ever (build a cage around the boss withe melee-range fireports). Plus the UFO is at least capable of bodyslamming through blocks, everybody else just gormishly stares at you.

And robot can be kited, no need for buildings, just do it on a TL1 world so that you can ignore all the enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I just started using this and it's the first time I have used a modded ship before. Is there some reason I can't place back walls or is that just a thing with modded ships?

There aren't any blocks to attach things to - you can fix that by placing a foreground block and then attaching to that, but I'll look at the structure file when I get home and see if there's a flag for allowing back wall placement without adjacency. The structure files are pretty close to plain english so you might be able to check for yourself.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Fishstick posted:

Turns out just deleting the universe folder works also :v:. I didnt have any settlements, everything's on my ship.

E: Well poo poo, maybe not - good thing I backed up, no longer have access to the other Systems despite being in T3 :v:.

There's three or four files in your universe folder that track that progress I think. Just delete all the planet files and you'll be fine.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

-Zydeco- posted:

There's three or four files in your universe folder that track that progress I think. Just delete all the planet files and you'll be fine.

wow I'm going to do that. I want a reset because I joined a mulitpler game and got bumped up into a strange place and have too much crap on my ship

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
That Homesick mod seems to have a couple of the blocks added requiring generic objects (notably concrete), unless it's something on my end, but that seems unlikely as I've never used a mod before.

Also quoting myself here because new page.

Verranicus posted:

Are you able to equip other races armor if it's given to you?

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 16, 2013

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

BTW, you can share planets by sending people those files as well. As long as they've never visited the planet then your planet will be just the way you left it when they go there. Also, a handy way of getting personal work onto someone else's server or duping large amounts of items for them.

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008
This has probably been asked already but I did not see an answer in the OP or first few pages, is it necessary for every player to complete each quest? I play with 3 other friends and it's obnoxious having to essentially do each stage of the quests 4 times because we're worried it'll somehow negatively affect us in the future.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

discarded box posted:

This has probably been asked already but I did not see an answer in the OP or first few pages, is it necessary for every player to complete each quest? I play with 3 other friends and it's obnoxious having to essentially do each stage of the quests 4 times because we're worried it'll somehow negatively affect us in the future.

It seems that you only need one person completing the quests in order to unlock the new systems. I started a server last night as a max level equipped character and power leveled to system X while Nyyen did his best to not help and he got everything unlocked even though I created and activated all the upgrades. They need to be present though. I accidentally knocked nyyen off the server and turned in the Mk.2 upgrade while he logged back on and he couldn't go to Beta.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Also quoting myself here because new page.

Yes you can, you can even craft other races armor if you buy the blueprints from a vendor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I happened to be on a planet last night that had pools of acid/lava all over the surface when I decided to do the UFO fight.

I spent a bunch of time spreading a pool so it was a single tile deep and very wide, penguins kept teleporting in and instantly fizzled to death. Didn't really help with destroying the UFO but it was still fun to watch.

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

-Zydeco- posted:

It seems that you only need one person completing the quests in order to unlock the new systems. I started a server last night as a max level equipped character and power leveled to system X while Nyyen did his best to not help and he got everything unlocked even though I created and activated all the upgrades. They need to be present though. I accidentally knocked nyyen off the server and turned in the Mk.2 upgrade while he logged back on and he couldn't go to Beta.

Awesome, thanks. This'll save us a lot of time and frustration!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Dunno if this was talked about or not, but apparently the devs talked about the future of the game somewhere and someone compiled a list of some of the more interesting plans? Yes, I know. Reddit. But it was linked to on the official boards.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1t0nis/the_future_of_starbound_a_peek_at_whats_coming/

The talk of changing how sectors work worries me. It basically means building anything before Sector X will be pointless as you'll lose it when you move to the next sector.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

-Zydeco- posted:

I'd say it's pretty cheesable though this strategy works on all of them except for the robot which just needs the same idea tipped on its side.

I just cheesed the robot by digging a 2x2 hole, crouching in it, and swinging my superfast fire-elemental broadsword.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Dunno if this was talked about or not, but apparently the devs talked about the future of the game somewhere and someone compiled a list of some of the more interesting plans? Yes, I know. Reddit. But it was linked to on the official boards.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1t0nis/the_future_of_starbound_a_peek_at_whats_coming/

The talk of changing how sectors work worries me. It basically means building anything before Sector X will be pointless as you'll lose it when you move to the next sector.

Bah. No word of an inventory fix for all the worthless dirt and stone blocks. The matter system someone came up with pages ago would be such and elegant solution.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
EDIT: Ooops. Answered a question like 3 pages back.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tulip posted:

I'd say that's not trivial because it doesn't let you use melee weapons and thus takes for loving ever (build a cage around the boss withe melee-range fireports). Plus the UFO is at least capable of bodyslamming through blocks, everybody else just gormishly stares at you.

And robot can be kited, no need for buildings, just do it on a TL1 world so that you can ignore all the enemies.

You can kill the UFO with melee weapons, you just need to build a dirt pillar to jump on top of and leap off of. It helps a lot if you find a Pulse Jump too, but you can totally hit the UFO with melee.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Where do you get this? I didn't see it in the post.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Reiley posted:

You can kill the UFO with melee weapons, you just need to build a dirt pillar to jump on top of and leap off of. It helps a lot if you find a Pulse Jump too, but you can totally hit the UFO with melee.

While making bandages just now, I noticed my default crafting menu gives me the option to create smooth plated blocks, steel blocks and modern chairs out of pixels. I have no idea how or when that became an option, though it's a bit odd that the modern chair (which costs 1000 pixels to 3d print) can be crafted from 120 pixels this way.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

JerikTelorian posted:

Where do you get this? I didn't see it in the post.

It was this little bit:

"navigator might be: map has fog of war. can only see local vision, revealing the map as you go. no sector buttons, instead you move out of the sector and travel to the next one. (final sector is infinite)."

The way it's written implies that we'd lose access to previous sectors, otherwise why mention removing the sector buttons at all since it's essentially the same thing.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Verranicus posted:

I guess you will be still able to travel back if you build a stargate. But I'm just guessing (and hoping)

quote:

Personal Teleporters. Stargates. Between planets, then servers.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
One neat feature for the refinery could be transmuting materials. I'm thinking of something like 1 copper into 2 coal, 4 iron into 1 platinum, that kind of thing. Make old-tier metals you've stocked into current tier mats at a specific ratio or with some loss - or in a pinch converting high value metals into coal for emergency fuel.

E: Actually this should be fairly easy to mod. Maybe I'll make a transmuting station?
E2: Also, having a chef onboard is great. Bread at 5px each, and bread gets you from 'pretty hungry' to 'full' with one.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 16, 2013

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Verranicus posted:

It was this little bit:

"navigator might be: map has fog of war. can only see local vision, revealing the map as you go. no sector buttons, instead you move out of the sector and travel to the next one. (final sector is infinite)."

The way it's written implies that we'd lose access to previous sectors, otherwise why mention removing the sector buttons at all since it's essentially the same thing.

That would be a step back, however, seeing as all universes are infinite. (You can actually bypass the +-9999999 limit by using the arrow buttons, then editing the numbers, ad infinitum)

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Verranicus posted:

It was this little bit:

I think they mean that the further away from the 0,0 coordinates the harder it gets or that the other sectors are distinct regions that border each other. I don't see anything that keeps you from just going back the way you came.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Holy crap spriting armors that have shoulder pads is a pain in the rear end. There are no bounding boxes on the sprites for arms, just empty space between them, and they are not even similar sizes so it's come down to trial and error on making sure the placement of the shoulder pad is static and doesn't jiggle around. :argh:

-Zydeco- posted:

I think they mean that the further away from the 0,0 coordinates the harder it gets or that the other sectors are distinct regions that border each other. I don't see anything that keeps you from just going back the way you came.

Eventually you'd reach a point where it'd take more than 1000 fuel to get to a place even if the universe is technically infinitely generate-able, and you can circumvent that by making multiple stops at plants if you really want to but past that it's almost certainly not worth it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 16, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

-Zydeco- posted:

That's correct. This is from a steam of some guy on twitch called TehMorag and that's how they represented it there. The sector buttons are removed because all the sectors exist in a single map.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Fishstick posted:

One neat feature for the refinery could be transmuting materials. I'm thinking of something like 1 copper into 2 coal, 4 iron into 1 platinum, that kind of thing. Make old-tier metals you've stocked into current tier mats at a specific ratio or with some loss - or in a pinch converting high value metals into coal for emergency fuel.

E: Actually this should be fairly easy to mod. Maybe I'll make a transmuting station?
E2: Also, having a chef onboard is great. Bread at 5px each, and bread gets you from 'pretty hungry' to 'full' with one.

As someone who has a stockpile of iron, copper, coal, and silver I find this mod idea intriguing.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Is steel hunting bow the highest you can get? I just got T3 and the metalwork station still only shows steel bows.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alright, I have gone back to the bottom of page 100 and got all the coordinates for goodies in Alpha and Beta sectors. This is just to help new folks who don't want to scroll through a billion posts.

Tech Chests and labs
Alpha Tau CMa 5232 V a (forest moon(of Endor))
X: -97459393 Y: 54220545

Guns
Beta -16014665, -12671481 Pond Majoris I A - walk left

techno pyramid
X:32749408 Y:86627433, on Alpha Xi Oph 21 II a in Alpha quadrant.

Guns
Beta Castor 780 IIIa at
-15323592 82186680

all seeing cloak
-8, -11. Alpha Merqioa 12 II D

glitch castle
Alpha Praecipua 62 II. X: 69431811 Y: 84748501

techno pyramid x2
-22383721 , 92264693
Alpha Gamma Equ 99 II

techno pyramid
13341792 , 88833597
Alpha Alsafi 064II a

apex tech
Alpha Sheraton 5404 I
-55711797 -51808933

Guns
Beta 32 Ori Majoris III (forest not snow planet)
-21925325 23535708

Bird City
Alpha 22765084, 90239497. Alpha Leela Minoris I.

high tech chest - right
Alpha HR 6817 Dra Majoris IV, -31919367 -33393493

glitch castle
Coordinates: X 80821821 Y -465195
System: Alpha Pyromia 899 - I
Planet: Forest, c, Level 1

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

Is steel hunting bow the highest you can get? I just got T3 and the metalwork station still only shows steel bows.

Yep.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

XboxPants posted:

That's correct. This is from a steam of some guy on twitch called TehMorag and that's how they represented it there. The sector buttons are removed because all the sectors exist in a single map.

Ahh, makes more sense then. Thanks guys.

Dogfood
Feb 15, 2004

Part of every balanced meal.
This game is confusing and strange, a fuzzy, bunny-like thing clawed my face off and a tentacle monster was nice to me.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Anyone found the backpack that gives energy regen? There was one set of coordinates but those were bad, there's nothing there.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jusupov posted:

Anyone found the backpack that gives energy regen? There was one set of coordinates but those were bad, there's nothing there.

The toxic flower? It doesn't really work that noticeably to tell you the truth.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Party Plane Jones posted:

Oh, was hoping it would give me faster shooting with my rocket launcher.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Cephalocidal posted:

There aren't any blocks to attach things to - you can fix that by placing a foreground block and then attaching to that, but I'll look at the structure file when I get home and see if there's a flag for allowing back wall placement without adjacency. The structure files are pretty close to plain english so you might be able to check for yourself.

Strange, I tried to do it that way, by placing a block in the foreground and then placing background around it but that wasn't working. I guess I'll go back and try again.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hylotl have strong opinions on pottery

Party Plane Jones posted:

But it is very pretty!

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Alright, I have gone back to the bottom of page 100 and got all the coordinates for goodies in Alpha and Beta sectors. This is just to help new folks who don't want to scroll through a billion posts.

You should add them here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqrVbOdNvfiidGxpWDJqQVZyeW9DbURvUy0zektzOFE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Someone here started the spreadsheet and it's super useful.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Lucid Delusion posted:

As someone who has a stockpile of iron, copper, coal, and silver I find this mod idea intriguing.

Time to work out how modding works! I wish Windows exceptions were more verbose so I knew which file was throwing json parsing exceptions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

New Dead Space armor time! At a few peoples' request, I made the Advanced Soldier armor. I have no idea what stats or tier I'm going to give these things but hey they're fun to make so I'll just figure out how the hell to balance them later. I'll probably make a Carver version of this one too even though it doesn't have a Dead Space 3 equivalent.

Oh, and I reduced the head size of all of the armors since they were a bit on the big side. here's a comparison:

Is this better? (Original on the left, new version on the right)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Fishstick posted:

Time to work out how modding works! I wish Windows exceptions were more verbose so I knew which file was throwing json parsing exceptions.

Check the starbound.log file in your game folder.

• Locked thread