Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SJGames has to clear out space in their warehouse for Ogre, so they're selling 5 random 3rd edition GURPS books for 20 bucks: http://warehouse23.com/item.html?id=BOOK2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Speaking of physical products, everyone who's seeking deals should pay attention to the Board Game thread in coupons. It's linked in the OP. Lots of holiday deals going on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's about 7 hours left on the latest Bundle of Holding, and they added a bunch of beat-the-average stuff.

Core is Apocalypse World, Sagas of the Icelanders, and Perfect, Unrevised.

Beat the average (about $20 right now) for: Dungeon World, Adventures on Dungeon Planet, Durance, Nova Praxis, Becoming, The Quiet Year, Dark Heart of the Dreamer, and three Fiasco playsets.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's not just three playsets for Fiasco, it's also rules for campaign play. Which seems like it would be tough to pull off, but I haven't read them yet.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Looks like the next Bundle of Holding is up. It has probably been up for a while. It's on Family Friendly RPGS. The games offered are:

Hero Kids
Mermaid Adventurers
The Prince's Kingdom
Adventures in Oz
Camp Myth The RPG
Project Ninja Panda Taco (Man, this one sounds stupid.)
School Daze

I have no idea of the quality of these game so I can't recommend or not recommended these titles.

2 and 1/2 days left on the Bundle.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I actually own Mermaid Adventures and School Daze from their respective Kickstarters. Both are solid: Mermaid Adventures seems a little better for smaller kids. Everyone gets a cool power and the problems seem very much like a kids cartoon. School Daze is maybe for a little older kids, maybe middle school, where they fantasize about being in high school and consume things like High School Musical and Disney shows. High schoolers might like it for a Harry Potter-esque or other fantastical school scenario, but played straight it's a little bit dull, with cliques and normal high school life and so on. (Adults might like it for nostalgia or irony, of course.)

Adventures in Oz is something I got back in the day because I'm an Oz fanatic. It sticks really close to the post-Wizard Baum Oz, with no death and a pretty solid formula. There's a problem, you and some weird friends are going to go through xenophobic, bizarre lands that don't understand you and vice versa, trying to help and potentially making things worse, but in the end you make some friends and they come in to help you out against the big problem at the end. It's the only game that uses a "Friends List" that I actually really like. But if you want to make Oz more grownup or make stories that are more complicated, it's probably not a great idea. I can't really evaluate it honestly because I feel like the Oz stories are amazing for all ages, so you could totally run it for your granddad and your niece together and you would be the best uncle/aunt of all time.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
According to what I have been reading lately, The Prince's Kingdom is a hack of Dogs In the Vineyard. To paraphrase Jason Morningstar from G+ today, it is a setting hack as well as an ethical hack. It's also by Clinton Nixon, who did Owl Hoot Trail and The Shadow of Yesterday and stuff like that.

Apparently this is the first time it's been offered in PDF format.

School Daze I am not familiar with, but I am familiar with its designer, Tracy Barnett. I believe it was his first Kickstarter, and he has produced some others since then and has another on the way in January for his Iron Edda project. Good people, and I've been interested in most stuff he's done, including One Shot, which is sort of like the basic plot of The Crow without necessarily including the supernatural stuff.

Gasperkun fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 12, 2013

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
The current Bundle of Holding got extended again. Apparently Wil Wheaton mentioned it once and it got a bunch of sales, and then he mentioned it again, and it got more sales so the folks running it decided to extend it once more (Also a little thing called Boing Boing mentioned it).

The next Bundle is said to be Asian and/or Asian-themed RPGs, due some time after Monday of next week.

Here's a list of what's currently on sale at DTRPG. I noticed a promotion for The One Ring due to the Hobbit film coming out, but I haven't noticed a sale, as such.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
13th Age in PDF is 20% off right now on DriveThruRPG.

The Asian-themed Bundle of Holding is also due for release later today, now that the Family Friendly bundle is closed.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Bundle is up.

And it's got Golden Sky Stories. :shobon:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Ego Trip posted:

Bundle is up.

And it's got Golden Sky Stories. :shobon:

Yesss! :dance: Of course I was going to purchase it today. Glad I held off!

EDIT: Full line-up is:

-Maid RPG
-Anima Prime
-Mecha

Beat-the-average:

-Golden Sky Stories
-Magicians
-Tokyo Brain Pop (formerly known as Panty Explosion)

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
The average seems to be going up quickly. Not sure whether I want to go in this close to the holidays, since I already own half these games, but maybe they will add something to push it over the top for me before the average gets too high.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Uh, I've never heard of half of these, and, the of ones I've heard of before, uh, Maid and Panty Explosion sounded pretty skeezy. Is Golden Sky Stories good enough to carry the bundle, are the other games any good?
Do people in TG play these games much?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Rockopolis posted:

Uh, I've never heard of half of these, and, the of ones I've heard of before, uh, Maid and Panty Explosion sounded pretty skeezy. Is Golden Sky Stories good enough to carry the bundle, are the other games any good?
Isn't the translator for Maid a goon?

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
I never end up playing any of these RPGs I buy from these bundles but I love reading them. What the heck is wrong with me?

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

Isn't the translator for Maid a goon?

I do believe he is on here but I can't recall what he goes by here. Probably could be remedied by checking the JRPG thread.

Speaking of which, this looks like a good opportunity for Tenra Bansho Zero to be included if Andy K has been working on that... but that would be yet another game in the bundle I already have.

Edit: He goes by his real name here, Ewen Cluney.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Rockopolis posted:

Magicians is brilliant and probably my pick for game of the year (in a year that's had a lot of amazing games). Tokyo Brain Pop is a small game that has a few interesting mechanics and I'm glad the dude finally changed that stupid, stupid name. I don't have any experience with Mecha or Anima Prime.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rockopolis posted:

Golden Sky Stories is :3::hf::3:

Maid... is interesting, at least. The main point of contention is one of the sample characters included repeatedly throughout the book is an underage-character-that-is-a-creepy-stalker archetype that seems to get a lot of mileage in anime, but as far as I'm concerned can die in a fire. There's some mild fetish smut in the equipment section. It's frustrating because the game was probably the first game with "heartwarming" elements that came over, at one point I ran the Happy Birthday scenario for a party, it was basically the characters trying to one-up each other with ways to make a sick child happy, and was basically the most adorable thing. So there is fun to be had, you just have to be willing to overlook the questionable elements.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
$15 for GSS and Magicians is a great deal, but it would involve owning Maid. :negative:

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

$15 for GSS and Magicians is a great deal, but it would involve owning Maid. :negative:

Don't think about it as buying a game you'll actually play. Think about it as buying a reminder that Ryo Kamiya is a goddamn weirdo.

But seriously, I don't think there's any games in this bundle that aren't at least interesting. Maid's the one that's easiest to pass on, just because of how much skeevy stuff you'd have to skirt around, and even then you could have some fun rolling random stuff up and seeing what you get. Other than that, you get two great games and three games that aren't that bad.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's my dilemma as well, I groaned aloud when I saw Maid pop-up.

Can there be an non-creepy opt-out option for this bundle?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Maid owns if you tell everyone you're running Maid but play fast and loose with the rules and basically turn it into Paranoia where everyone's trying to sabotage each other in an attempt to gain favor with the master of the house.

Edit: Also if you ban any "skeevy business", too, of course. Which was surprisingly easy to do.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

CuddlyZombie posted:

Maid owns if you tell everyone you're running Maid but play fast and loose with the rules and basically turn it into Paranoia where everyone's trying to sabotage each other in an attempt to gain favor with the master of the house.

Edit: Also if you ban any "skeevy business", too, of course. Which was surprisingly easy to do.

Maid can't not be played fast and loose. It doesn't have enough rules to get bogged down, it just has a resolution mechanic and a bunch of random tables.

Not that that's a bad thing, of course. It wouldn't work as a screwball comedy game if it didn't.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Maid owns, gently caress the haters.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

fez_machine posted:

That's my dilemma as well, I groaned aloud when I saw Maid pop-up.

Can there be an non-creepy opt-out option for this bundle?

Keep in mind that buying into a Bundle gives you the ability to download the game. You can just . . . not download that game.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Monkey got added to the Bundle. I hadn't heard of the game before, but apparently it is a story game about the Monkey King from Journey to the West, the Chinese epic.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

quote:

Maid... is interesting, at least. The main point of contention is one of the sample characters included repeatedly throughout the book is an underage-character-that-is-a-creepy-stalker archetype that seems to get a lot of mileage in anime, but as far as I'm concerned can die in a fire. There's some mild fetish smut in the equipment section. It's frustrating because the game was probably the first game with "heartwarming" elements that came over, at one point I ran the Happy Birthday scenario for a party, it was basically the characters trying to one-up each other with ways to make a sick child happy, and was basically the most adorable thing. So there is fun to be had, you just have to be willing to overlook the questionable elements.

It's more than that. In an RPG.net thread circa 2008, there was a part in the book brought up where a 10-14 year old girl was molested in the flavor text and the whole thing was played for laughs.

Ewen and co. forgot to excise it in the translation due to poor editing, and it upset an awful lot of people. In further reprintings, the material was excised out after he listened to peoples' concerns.

So yeah, Ewen hosed up big time, but instead of doubling down or screaming "free speech" he made changes; and there has yet to be any creepy sex poo poo in his other works.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 18, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rockopolis posted:

Panty Explosion contains neither panties nor explosions. It's more or less just a cute little (I think it's less than 40 pages) story game for playing magical girls in a Japanese grade school. If I remember right, each player picks one character to be their friend and one character to be their rival, and the task resolution mechanic is that you roll to see whether your friend or your rival narrates the outcome.

I haven't seen the new edition though; maybe it's changed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
A new game called Clover has been added to the bundle. It seems to be about playing the exploits of a five year old with an ideal childhood. Seems to be going for the heartwarming angle. Personally, it reminds me of some shows I used to watch when I was a little tyke.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

A new game called Clover has been added to the bundle. It seems to be about playing the exploits of a five year old with an ideal childhood. Seems to be going for the heartwarming angle. Personally, it reminds me of some shows I used to watch when I was a little tyke.

Clover is straight up Yotsuba&! the story game. Also the bonus section features a never before released supplement for Clover now, which just made me drop the 15 bucks to get that and the three games I didn't already own.

Covok
May 27, 2013

A new game has been added to the bundle: Kuro. Seems to be a Japanese, sci-fi horror game.

Another new game has been added: motobushido. It's about samurai on motorcycles. Want to know more? Trolhawke has an unfinished Fatal and Friends on the Game.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 20, 2013

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Okay, I think that's enough vaguely interesting stuff I don't have already for me to buy in finally. I Kickstarted GSS and Magicians, which would otherwise be the most immediately interesting items.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Since Last Stand wasn't anime enough for the Bundle of Holding, I'm doing a big sale for both the book and the armory deck. I discounted the Armory deck as much as I could, those were surprisingly expensive to print.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Kuro from the Bundle of holding sounds like STALKER; Shadow of Japan. It's by the team that did Qin.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy crap, guys.

quote:

Lulu

40% off LULUEMP2013 code expires on 31 December

After you enter that code, next enter the code FREESHIP to also get free shipping

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What exactly is that? Like, where can the code be used?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's for buying books off https://www.lulu.com which is notoriously expensive.

I'd recommend Darker Dungeons or Grey Ranks or A Dirty World.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 23, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Story Games Names Project is really useful; a little under 300 pages of names from historical and fictional societies. Need a realistic name for a Byzantine Greek? Don't have a name for the fantasy Arabian vizier? Just need a Ridiculous Hobo name? Got you covered.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mekayana has been added to the bundle of holding. It's a third party supplement for Mecha which merges giant robot anime with Bollywood cinema. It's pretty awesome, if memory serves me justly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

David A. Hill Jr and Filamena Young, the minds behind Apotheosis Drive X (A FATE Core based Mecha game) and Flatpack - Fix the Future (The apocalypse has happened, but you don't give a drat, we gotta rebuild!) and they've also had their hands in a dozen other things, like the Marvel Roleplaying Game supplement Civil War and Eclipse Phase., have had their house burgled right before they were going to make a move to Japan and to their new jobs.

Well, the Bundle of Holding is to the rescue - all proceeds will go to them. The Bundle Contents are a selection of stuff from their company, Machine Age Productions:

• Apotheosis Drive X: Fate-powered mecha in AD 2433, when humanity may merge with, or give way to, their own godlike war machines.
  • Flatpack - Fix the Future: A post-apocalyptic game of optimism and rebuilding. Yes, that's right.
  • And the following free games: The Gentle Ladies' Tea & Monstrosity Destroying & Quilting Circle Auxiliary, Kicking Historical Asses, and Martian Miscreants.

If you pay over the average:
  • Amaranthine: Immortals pursuing their loves and rivalries through an eternity of reincarnations.
  • Farewell to Fear: A progressive post-fantasy RPG about enlightened thinking, moving forward, and revolution.
  • Maschine Zeit: Survival-horror ghost stories on abandoned space stations, in the manner of Alien, Event Horizon, and Pandorum.

ADX looks good, especially if you want to do a Mecha game (I'm sure it gives various flavours of them, too) and I've heard that Flatpack is a good game for kids. Maschine Zeit sounds fun, just getting together with friends until it's game over, game over man! or we go where we won't need eyes anymore.

It launches in Two Minutes.