Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
to be honest I'd be fine with Whedon if he hadn't killed off the best characters in every show he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I learned who she was yesterday in one of the threads about terrible youtube people. Well kind of, I learned she's a "gaming goddess" and that this guy really, really, really likes her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fcz29oCFIE

TRIGGER WARNING: really embarrassing... will make you cringe multiple times

Guess that's implied by all youtube videos though.

She's a Fake Nerd and Not A Real Gamer Girl but she's also a disciple of the almighty Whedon, so she just makes dumb angry internet males thrash and foam as their mind tries to reconcile hating women with loving everything he touches.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cactus posted:

I reached about 40 seconds and had to turn it off.

You mean when the interviewer had an orgasm five seconds after meeting Felicia? Yeesh.

Felicia's not bad as far as internet personalities go, but she's a very limited actress and not even close to being the internet dream girl she desperately wants to be.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 16, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Felicia Day is like a lady-version of Chris Hardwick.

Also, for all of the stuff of his I don't like, Dr. Horrible owns. I don't know how much of that is Whedon and how much is NPH, but it's really cool.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Joss Whedon and Felicia Day slapfighting...this is now The Worst Thread.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We could fight about Tiller dailies :catbert:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

We could fight about Tiller dailies :catbert:

I don't even play WoW anymore and my bad posting haunts me still. :smithicide:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Thank you for the thread title change.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Less Whedon chat, more Muppet chat.

So Farscape is pretty good in a late-90s, low budget scifi way. I'm just starting Season 2 (and started with the wrong episode, thanks NETFLIX) and I was really surprised how Season 1 built to its finale in a satisfying way. Especially considering how the show starts off.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Best part of Farscape is when the Skeksis show up.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Did Once Upon a Time in Wonderland get canceled? I don't see it on the mid-season schedule. (I only watched the first episode.)

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

hollylolly posted:

Did Once Upon a Time in Wonderland get canceled? I don't see it on the mid-season schedule. (I only watched the first episode.)

The most recent episode (#8) was the mid season finale. It comes back in March I think. No idea if it is renewed for next year though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It's done really poorly in the ratings. I think it was up in the air initially about it getting a full season. Then after it started bombing, the production people came back saying it was always intended as a "limited run" thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is neat. AMC is teaming up with Netflix to promote Better Call Saul, the Breaking Bad spinoff. The entire season will be available on streaming the day after the season finale airs on AMC. I think they did something similar in Britain this last season of BrBa, but they did it with each individual episode. Anyway, hopefully this works out well and becomes A Thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep, in the UK they put BB on Netflix the day after it aired in the US. Astoundingly, it never aired on UK TV after season 1 (I think, might've been 2).

We get pretty much every trash reality show though at least!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not sure that's ever happened with a US show, we have to use HuluPlus for next day stuff.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Teek posted:

It's done really poorly in the ratings. I think it was up in the air initially about it getting a full season. Then after it started bombing, the production people came back saying it was always intended as a "limited run" thing.

I was excited for it until I watched it and it looked like it had an even smaller budget than Once Upon a Time (i.e. more CGI and more bad CGI). Bleh.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

zoux posted:

I'm not sure that's ever happened with a US show, we have to use HuluPlus for next day stuff.

It's a new, but welcome, thing. They did it with The Killing Season 3 a couple of months before BB as well. It's a really smart move.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait, why do we hate Felicia Day exactly? The first four or five seasons of The Guild were really good at poking fun at "gamer life" and had a decent cast with above-par writing.

I mean, I know she did that "so bad it's incredibly bad" Dragon Age webseries (it's like the Sharknado of fantasy, watch it) but she seems like a nice person. Then again, so does Chris Hardwick, but he mostly just hosts things and does a podcast so comparing Day - who pretty much made The Guild from the ground up herself - to him seems like... not a thing you should do.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

precision posted:

Wait, why do we hate Felicia Day exactly? The first four or five seasons of The Guild were really good at poking fun at "gamer life" and had a decent cast with above-par writing.

I mean, I know she did that "so bad it's incredibly bad" Dragon Age webseries (it's like the Sharknado of fantasy, watch it) but she seems like a nice person. Then again, so does Chris Hardwick, but he mostly just hosts things and does a podcast so comparing Day - who pretty much made The Guild from the ground up herself - to him seems like... not a thing you should do.

I've found that most people who hate Felicia Day (and Chris Hardwick for that matter) fall into two categories- The "Nerd Blackface" people who hate her for the same reason they hate the Big Bang Theory, ie she's not a real nerd and how dare she make money off of the plebes who think she is. The other being the "She's insufferable" crowd, which as far as I can tell means because she references things on the internet and is "twee" she's insufferable.

Sure there are the occasional folks out there who just admit she's not their cuppa, for whatever reason, but the seething hatred comes from those two camps.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zoux posted:

Leverage was available the next day on Netflix for the first 2 seasons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JohnSherman posted:

I'm pretty sure they did something similar with the first season of Spartacus.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

JohnSherman posted:

I always wondered why that stopped. It was awesome.

Edit: And I've just learned that the whole series is now up on Netflix. Sweeeet.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

precision posted:

Hardwick started and cohosts one of the most popular podcasts out there, and has a network that has a bunch of awesome podcasts on it. The Nerdist YouTube channel also has a bunch of Web series on it and has done some cool stuff with other networks.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The original plan for Wonderland was to have it fill in during OUAT's 3 month winter hiatus. ABC kiboshed that plan for some reason and scheduled it against The Big Bang Theory instead. Hence its poor ratings and unlikely renewal despite being a very good show.

cool kids inc. posted:

I've found that most people who hate Felicia Day (and Chris Hardwick for that matter) fall into two categories-

If Hardwick was a good interviewer or Day a good actress you wouldn't hear nearly as much griping about them. The problem with both of them is that they're pretty much non-talents who are only successful because they constructed 'nerd' identities right when the nerd/internet trend took off. Whether Hardwick is a nerd of not is irrelevant because there are a lot of nerds who shouldn't be hosting interview shows either. The only thing that matters is how lame he is and how little he brings to table.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 17, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Irish Joe posted:

If Hardwick was a good interviewer or Day a good actress you wouldn't hear nearly as much griping about them.

That's our Joe!

Wait, no, actually I agree about Hardwick, he's likable but not what I would call a particularly talented interviewer. He's like Conan O'Brian in that way.

An example of a good interviewer would be Marc Maron. Though he's not very likable. :iiam:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

cool kids inc. posted:

I've found that most people who hate Felicia Day (and Chris Hardwick for that matter) fall into two categories- The "Nerd Blackface" people who hate her for the same reason they hate the Big Bang Theory, ie she's not a real nerd and how dare she make money off of the plebes who think she is. The other being the "She's insufferable" crowd, which as far as I can tell means because she references things on the internet and is "twee" she's insufferable.

Sure there are the occasional folks out there who just admit she's not their cuppa, for whatever reason, but the seething hatred comes from those two camps.

I hate Chris Hardwick because I watched part of his Comedy Central special, and there's no way he can give me that time back.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
@Midnight fully redeems Chris Hardwick for just about any of his past sins, in my mind. It's the perfect application of his particular brand of person.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mo0 posted:

@Midnight fully redeems Chris Hardwick for just about any of his past sins, in my mind. It's the perfect application of his particular brand of person.

In that he just stands there while funny people are funny, and then occasionally ruins it by speaking?

Edit: Funny people, and also sometimes Kristen Schaal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^ :iceburn:

Mo0 posted:

Why did you get red texted in such a lazy manner? Haha.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

Why did you get red texted in such a lazy manner? Haha.

I really wish I knew what the hell I did. It can't have been that bad to warrant the complete lack of effort, though.

Aphrodite posted:

In that he just stands there while funny people are funny, and then occasionally ruins it by speaking?

Edit: Funny people, and also sometimes Kristen Schaal.

The guy's a TV pro if nothing else, and keeps the show moving at a brisk pace. He's good at what he does on that show! :shobon:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He'd be fine as the host there if he just never tried to tell jokes. His are always so bad.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Irish Joe posted:

The original plan for Wonderland was to have it fill in during OUAT's 3 month winter hiatus. ABC kiboshed that plan for some reason and scheduled it against The Big Bang Theory instead. Hence its poor ratings and unlikely renewal despite being a very good show.

Yes... The only reason Wonderland has bad ratings is its timeslot. :rolleyes:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Uggggggggggggh, I'm watching last week's Almost Human on my cable's On Demand service and they have commercials that you can't fast forward through. I'm only watching it through On Demand because the cable was out last Monday.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

He'd be fine as the host there if he just never tried to tell jokes. His are always so bad.

He's basically the Jeff Foxworthy of nerd culture.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Yes... The only reason Wonderland has bad ratings is its timeslot. :rolleyes:

Well, ratings that low. I think the show would have pulled a solid 1.5 if it aired when it was originally meant to air.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 17, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
They tried outsourcing Hardwick's hosting duties to a plank of wood once, but test audiences complained that the plank was too charismatic.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I am not a Chris Hardwick fan in general, but I have to give him credit for being a great interviewer on his podcast. He's still a bit of a creep to some female guests (his video interview Yvonne Strahovski interview is legendarily off-putting), but he's better at interviewing than most people out there.

He's a shite Comic Con moderator, though.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Irish Joe posted:

Well, ratings that low. I think the show would have pulled a solid 1.5 if it aired when it was originally meant to air.

We made it like 20 minutes into the pilot. And we suffer through vanilla OUAT every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Edlund also wrote all the greatest Supernatural comedy episodes.

Did he do the Supernatural Christmas episode in season 3? Because I'm up to that episode now on Netflix and this might be one of the best Christmas episodes of a TV show I've seen.

I've always had a soft spot for that CBS Special Presentation bumper, though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 17, 2013

• Locked thread