Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a proper way to find ore that isn't right on the surface? You can't see through dirt very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you place torches close to walls the light reveals deeper ore. You can also find deposits in the dark by mousing over them with your Matter Manipulator.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Pilchenstein posted:

Check the starbound.log file in your game folder.

This unfortunately doesn't help with .modinfo json parse errors, but I figured it out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speedball posted:

Is there a proper way to find ore that isn't right on the surface? You can't see through dirt very well.

Just follow natural caves, lots of surface area means more chances to encounter veins.

If you're really desperate you can probe nearby rock with the matter manipulator, it paints a little blue square that you can use to see what's hidden.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Is the mod directory structure supposed to be <starbound_folder>/mods/assets/objects/whatev or <starbound_folder>/mods/objects/whatev ?

E: Basically I took the directory structure/layout of the crafting table and renamed most files/internal values to just display a new thing, but I can't get it to show up. Maybe one of you more experienced modders can hit me up so I don't keep polluting the thread? breadedfishstrip on AIM, Fishstick on steam.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 16, 2013

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

nullEntityRNG posted:

You should add them here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqrVbOdNvfiidGxpWDJqQVZyeW9DbURvUy0zektzOFE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Someone here started the spreadsheet and it's super useful.

Was in process of making something similar, but instead just made the quality of life changes to this one. I'm trying to implement a spreadsheet that we can rollover and keep track of each version. Once a new version hits I may implement it and post a link.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Not sure if it's been posted (it almost definitely has been) but here's a Reddit post of major changes to the game that will creep along in the future.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1t0nis/the_future_of_starbound_a_peek_at_whats_coming/

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Fishstick posted:

Is the mod directory structure supposed to be <starbound_folder>/mods/assets/objects/whatev or <starbound_folder>/mods/objects/whatev ?

The latter. (No assets folder)

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Screw it I'm just gonna throw it up. I'm going to keep this persistent throughout the versions. New versions will equal new pages with the version name as the page name.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqz8-YTYvEzidFRKaDBzTklLRjFtbXNMNEhZQ3ZKVXc&usp=sharing

Started plugging some of the alpha locations in that were left earlier in the thread.

I'll go through and add in more locations stored in other sheets.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Florans: still the best.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I made a mod that adds more tiers of axes to the game. There's another one similar to it on the mod site but I didn't like the axe sprites and firetime/damage values they used.

New axe tiers include copper, silver, gold, platinum, and diamond. The diamond axe basically cuts down trees and vines instantly. More axes aren't terribly needed, but I felt like the game was missing something without them. :v:

Get it here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/more-axes.317/

Extract to the mods folder so it looks like Starbound/mods/more_axes/

You probably have to add the recipes to player.config until the next patch. The new axes can then be crafted at the anvil/metalworking station. Might make it Tabula Rasa compatible once I've actually tried that mod out.

Add these lines to player.config after diamondpickaxe or such:

code:
{ "item" : "copperaxe" },
{ "item" : "silveraxe" },
{ "item" : "goldaxe" },
{ "item" : "platinumaxe" },
{ "item" : "diamondaxe" },
Let me know if you encounter any issues or if you have suggestions.

Gonna make a similar mod for more bow tiers today as well.

Mina fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 16, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Has this been posted yet?

Tiy posted:

Next on the agenda, environmental hazards, extreme weather, meteor showers, acid rain, gravity variation, non breathable atmospheres + more

Posted on his twitter as of this morning. Meteor showers sound interesting, wonder how those will function. Also I wonder if since they are adding non breathable atmospheres in the next patch, if we will get any kind of breathing gear added at the same time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I honestly don't really like the concept of extreme weather hazards if they're going to be able to affect terrain. Nothing will turn me off of building more than if poo poo can randomly get taken out by a meteor shower or acid rain or whatever.

Terraria did it by having meteorites just smack into any open ground whenever they fell but this sounds like it'll be a dynamic thing which could potentially suck in practice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Enzer posted:

Posted on his twitter as of this morning. Meteor showers sound interesting, wonder how those will function. Also I wonder if since they are adding non breathable atmospheres in the next patch, if we will get any kind of breathing gear added at the same time.

As long as it doesn't require you to huddle next to a couple torches for 30 seconds I'm fine with whatever they decide.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CJacobs posted:

I honestly don't really like the concept of extreme weather hazards if they're going to be able to affect terrain. Nothing will turn me off of building more than if poo poo can randomly get taken out by a meteor shower or acid rain or whatever.

Terraria did it by having meteorites just smack into any open ground whenever they fell but this sounds like it'll be a dynamic thing which could potentially suck in practice.

Presumably they'll vary by planet. And you could just make bunkers. Or be a space hobo.

I mean in Terraria you just created a meteor shield for anything important so it wasn't like it was a big deal.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Allright, I'm done trying to figuring this out for the night. If any kind modder soul can tell me what i'm doing wrong, I'd love some feedback: rar archive

Link points to an archive of what is in <starbound_folder>/mods, without the .modinfo file - I just can't get it to show up as a starter craftable. Current dir structure is <starbound>/mods/transmuter.modinfo + rar contents (eg <starbound>/mods/transmuter/objects/etc) I copied the files similar to refinery, but for the life of me I can't get it to show up as a basic crafting recipe. The modinfo contains:

pre:
  "name" : "Transmuter",
  "version" : "Beta v. Offended Koala",
  "path" : "."

}

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

CJacobs posted:

So, dont build on a planet with extreme weather hazards? That's like setting up in Jupiter and complaining about the Spot.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jackard posted:

So, dont build on a planet with extreme weather hazards? That's like setting up in Jupiter and complaining about the Spot.

Not just "like," it's the exact same thing! :science:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fishstick posted:

Allright, I'm done trying to figuring this out for the night. If any kind modder soul can tell me what i'm doing wrong, I'd love some feedback: rar archive

Link points to an archive of what is in <starbound_folder>/mods, without the .modinfo file - I just can't get it to show up as a starter craftable. Current dir structure is <starbound>/mods/transmuter.modinfo + rar contents (eg <starbound>/mods/transmuter/objects/etc) I copied the files similar to refinery, but for the life of me I can't get it to show up as a basic crafting recipe. The modinfo contains:

pre:
  "path" : "."

}

I don't see an actual recipe for the Transmuter itself. :shobon:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't see an actual recipe for the Transmuter itself. :shobon:

does recipes/plain/transmuter not count ? Not being sarcastic here.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I hope this weather stuff also means they'll be working on making it so keeping interiors heated on cold planets/moons is a thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jackard posted:

Allow me to be a little more specific. I don't really want the game to have any more things that can randomly instantly kill you than there already are. RE: Mini bosses, poison in capsules, etc.

Presumably it'll tell you when the planet has extreme hazards or has no oxygen, that way I will be able to know not to go there immediately instead of having to find out the hard way.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Ok, finished adding in some locations from the other sheet. I'll keep drag-netting the net later tonight to pull some more locations in for the other quadrants.

Again: I'm going to be keeping this up to date with new pages for each version (so we can have somewhere to look back at for old versions/locations) so keep this page bookmarked.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a map function yet? I'm really missing the Console Terraria map.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

CJacobs posted:

Allow me to be a little more specific. I don't really want the game to have any more things that can randomly instantly kill you than there already are. RE: Mini bosses, poison in capsules, etc.

Presumably it'll tell you when the planet has extreme hazards or has no oxygen, that way I will be able to know not to go there immediately instead of having to find out the hard way.

Those poison capsules really make me wary. You have no idea how many times I've come across a capsule while digging deep into a planet and just skip it so I can keep going. I'd rather keep digging than risk an instant death more than half the time.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Lucid Delusion posted:

Those poison capsules really make me wary. You have no idea how many times I've come across a capsule while digging deep into a planet and just skip it so I can keep going. I'd rather keep digging than risk an instant death more than half the time.

I've never gotten a buff from them that lasted for more than 30s anyway. I guess they intend to change them later, but right now clicking them is such an incredibly bad idea I'm not sure why they even have them in. Anyone found the magic mirrors? I've only seen them underground, but I can't tell what they do. They don't insta kill me a t least.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fishstick posted:

does recipes/plain/transmuter not count ? Not being sarcastic here.

That is a recipe to make an iron bar inside your Transmuter. I don't see a recipe of "this is how you make a transmuter", though.

It would be transmuter.recipe and have a result of a transmuter.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

-Zydeco- posted:

I've never gotten a buff from them that lasted for more than 30s anyway. I guess they intend to change them later, but right now clicking them is such an incredibly bad idea I'm not sure why they even have them in. Anyone found the magic mirrors? I've only seen them underground, but I can't tell what they do. They don't insta kill me a t least.

I hit one with a pickaxe thinking it was a cool decoration and it disappeared. :saddowns:

Demos
Mar 4, 2004
Have you passed through this night?
Feel like this is a stupid question, but is there any reason people are spread out on different planets when starting a server?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Demos posted:

Feel like this is a stupid question, but is there any reason people are spread out on different planets when starting a server?

Everyone ran out of fuel before meeting up?

I wonder if that'll be an option in the future, to set whether people will all spawn in one location or apart from each other.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Demos posted:

You get randomly placed when you start a new character which is how the server treats anyone it doesn't have a record of already, so unless you time it so the rng is on the same number when everyone logs on the server you gets tossed around as the server spawns each person for the first time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Arkitektbmw posted:

Everyone ran out of fuel before meeting up?

I wonder if that'll be an option in the future, to set whether people will all spawn in one location or apart from each other.

You should be able to make a party and meet up on the party leader's ship.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Fishstick posted:

I think you need a dependencies section:
pre:
  "path" : ".",
  "dependencies" : []
}
Your recipes folder looks a bit of a mess as well, you've got two different recipes for iron bars, which I think will overwrite the original iron bar recipe. You don't need to organise the folders like that anyway, you can just put your stuff in mods/modname/objects or mods/modname/recipes. It looks like what you're trying to do is use the folders to specify which crafting table holds the recipes, but that's specified by the "groups" section, at least as far as I know.

Finally, you won't see the recipes appear unless you edit some of the configs, which can't be done properly from a mod (it's coming in the next patch though). The quickest way to add a recipe is make it work through smelting - take a look at http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/the-tabula-rasa.114/ to see how they've done it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

That is a recipe to make an iron bar inside your Transmuter. I don't see a recipe of "this is how you make a transmuter", though.

It would be transmuter.recipe and have a result of a transmuter.

That makes sense. I guess I was just thrown off becuase I couldnt find a .recipe for the craftingtable. I'll look into it tomorrow. I guess dropping a transmuter.recipe in recipes/starter should work, then?

Pilchenstein posted:

I think you need a dependencies section:
pre:
  "path" : ".",
  "dependencies" : []
}
Your recipes folder looks a bit of a mess as well, you've got two different recipes for iron bars, which I think will overwrite the original iron bar recipe. You don't need to organise the folders like that anyway, you can just put your stuff in mods/modname/objects or mods/modname/recipes. It looks like what you're trying to do is use the folders to specify which crafting table holds the recipes, but that's specified by the "groups" section, at least as far as I know.

Finally, you won't see the recipes appear unless you edit some of the configs, which can't be done properly from a mod (it's coming in the next patch though). The quickest way to add a recipe is make it work through smelting - take a look at http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/the-tabula-rasa.114/ to see how they've done it.

Thanks, I'll take a look at tabula rasa and start from there.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 16, 2013

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Demos posted:

It's really a good thing too because it gives you planets you can travel too for free, making fuel-finding expeditions less painful.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Is there an easy way to rename your character? I tried to just edit it in the Player file, but it would crash on Startup.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
My "more bows" mod is done, check it out here if interested: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/more-bows.319/

Probably adding a compound bow that has a faster fire time and larger time window for power shots.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Environmental hazards? Oh yes. :getin:

Planets are in dire need of more stuff differentiating them. Snow planets being virtually the same as volcanic ones doesn't make exploring that fun.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
For everyone worrying about dangerous weather and terrain, I think they mean dangerous as in it hurt you and other creatures, but like grenades and other projectiles it wouldn't do enough damage fast enough to destroy terrain. If it did then moons with asteroid showers would eventually get chewed down to the bottom of the map which seems dumb.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Screw it I'm just gonna throw it up. I'm going to keep this persistent throughout the versions. New versions will equal new pages with the version name as the page name.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqz8-YTYvEzidFRKaDBzTklLRjFtbXNMNEhZQ3ZKVXc&usp=sharing

Started plugging some of the alpha locations in that were left earlier in the thread.

I'll go through and add in more locations stored in other sheets.

I'm to lazy to add all of them in but this Starbound wiki has a pretty great repository of coordinates and goodies already recorded.

http://starbound.gamepedia.com/Coordinates

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Nyyen posted:

I'm to lazy to add all of them in but this Starbound wiki has a pretty great repository of coordinates and goodies already recorded.

http://starbound.gamepedia.com/Coordinates

There's also a really well done official forums spreadsheet that functions pretty much perfectly

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AqWeq8NLrAsqdGIzaU1YQnZmUk5EeEw4X1Q2c2twbUE&type=view

• Locked thread