Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
In my experience, it's only an issue on your first Rail Shot. Otherwise you'll have plenty of time to work in three Tracer Missiles while it's on cooldown. Arsenal is all about mashing TM while waiting for Unload to proc, after all. Whether or not I bother with the extra TM in my opener depends entirely on whether I can stand still or if I need to close in or change position. Even then I'll only use two in order to get the harder hitting stuff (Rail Shot, Heatseeker Missiles, Electro Net) fired off and starting their cooldowns earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Having gotten past the first full chapter of Trooper story line, it's actually gotten interesting.

Gunnery trooper is pretty simple to play; I now call it 'Stand and Deliver.'

I started a smuggler, just to add Twi'lek to my legacy, cuz I want my sith warrior to be a twi'lek. It's not bad, but so far, no real smuggling.

Imperial Agent and Sith Inquisitor are still my favourite storylines to have played through.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Having gotten past the first full chapter of Trooper story line, it's actually gotten interesting.

Gunnery trooper is pretty simple to play; I now call it 'Stand and Deliver.'

I started a smuggler, just to add Twi'lek to my legacy, cuz I want my sith warrior to be a twi'lek. It's not bad, but so far, no real smuggling.

Imperial Agent and Sith Inquisitor are still my favourite storylines to have played through.

Smuggler story is pretty good, I think. You're basically a space pirate.

During Beta didn't Tracer Missile launch off the back? I could have sworn it had a better animation than a wrist rocket.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So how good is the space combat in Galactic Starfighter? Is it "go ahead and sub for this" fun, or is it "you can wait until it's available for preferred in January" fun?

I asked in general chat in Imperial Fleet earlier today and got a dizzying array of spergy publord responses, so I'm not sure.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Drone posted:

So how good is the space combat in Galactic Starfighter? Is it "go ahead and sub for this" fun, or is it "you can wait until it's available for preferred in January" fun?

I asked in general chat in Imperial Fleet earlier today and got a dizzying array of spergy publord responses, so I'm not sure.

It's pretty fun. I'm horrible at it but it's enjoyable. It's a pleasant change from normal MMO content.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Thumbtacks posted:

Smuggler story is pretty good, I think. You're basically a space pirate.

During Beta didn't Tracer Missile launch off the back? I could have sworn it had a better animation than a wrist rocket.

It was still launched off the back early on after release, but was eventually changed since despite being a good animation in isolation it looked terrible when you spammed it nonstop.

1.2 Patch Notes: Tracer Missile and Fusion Missile's animations have been exchanged by popular demand from the community.

As for Galactic Starfighter, it's the only thing I log in to play at this point and it's fun enough, like pvp without nearly as much gear grind or anyone yelling at you when you screw up.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just can't figure out what ship I'm good with. I'm not bad at Gunship but until I can rack up enough fleet comms to get a dampening crew member I just get hosed every time I get within 30k of a fight by nosy scouts. I'm trying to learn Scout because one of my issues is i'm terrible at flying, but that stupid missile lock on takes 30 minutes so I never manage to nail people with it (plus sometimes I can't even home in on people and I don't know why or how).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Drone posted:

The latter for now. It's fun at first but it has some balance problems and there's some legit un-fun things at times like how cap points are handled. Also only two maps is a big detriment.

Really the biggest strike is that it's not a real fighter game. It's basically simulated in a lot of ways, so don't go in expecting Tie Fighter. Your shots "hit" based on your targeting reticle being over their lead indicator, and then are rolled for accuracy against their evasion and then damage is calculated. Travel time of lasers and such is not used or anything to the best of my knowledge. Missiles for example, will fly straight through terrain/walls as long as lock on was achieved and the target hasn't boosted away or anything.

It's a fun side mode to the game if you already play, but I cannot imagine paying a monthly fee to play it alone.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Rascyc posted:

The latter for now. It's fun at first but it has some balance problems and there's some legit un-fun things at times like how cap points are handled. Also only two maps is a big detriment.

Really the biggest strike is that it's not a real fighter game. It's basically simulated in a lot of ways, so don't go in expecting Tie Fighter. Your shots "hit" based on your targeting reticle being over their lead indicator, and then are rolled for accuracy against their evasion and then damage is calculated. Travel time of lasers and such is not used or anything to the best of my knowledge. Missiles for example, will fly straight through terrain/walls as long as lock on was achieved and the target hasn't boosted away or anything.

It's a fun side mode to the game if you already play, but I cannot imagine paying a monthly fee to play it alone.

It does however make levelling new characters a goddamn breeze. So much exp.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Rascyc posted:

This is a much better written post than I would have wrote, but ya space pvp is kinda meh. Was fun for a day or so then got kinda boring, I'm happy they added another thing to do in the game but I'd never recommend someone sub to play it.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Thumbtacks posted:

I just can't figure out what ship I'm good with. I'm not bad at Gunship but until I can rack up enough fleet comms to get a dampening crew member I just get hosed every time I get within 30k of a fight by nosy scouts. I'm trying to learn Scout because one of my issues is i'm terrible at flying, but that stupid missile lock on takes 30 minutes so I never manage to nail people with it (plus sometimes I can't even home in on people and I don't know why or how).

Clusters and other lock-ons tend to make people freak out and enter evasive maneuvers. They hear the lock-on as well, so they'll use signal dampeners, thrusters, barrel-rolls, and everything they have to avoid it.

So I use rocket-pods. I've upgraded to 40 rockets, and I have focused on being accurate with my rapid/quad blasters, and when I've got a good lead on a target, dual firing blasters with rocket pods. Ships go down fast.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Since I've got a late start at work today, I figured I'd login and finally start working on the Gree event. You'd think after playing WoW since 2007 and this game since launch, I'd learn that I can't play on Tuesday mornings. But nope, I'm still surprised by it every drat time.

EDIT: \/\/\/ It figures.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 17, 2013

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
I think they came up like 5 minutes after you posted this =/

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Yeah the rewards for it feel really high. I get like 5k-9k credits a game as well at cap, it's a little silly.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

Rascyc posted:

Yeah the rewards for it feel really high. I get like 5k-9k credits a game as well at cap, it's a little silly.

It used to be anywhere between 35-70k on PTS depending on medals and the win or loss.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Hoo boy, this snowball thing is going to be a bit tedious. 15 second cooldown on the item, and I was getting one parcel about every 15-20 throws. Definitely something to do while doing something else. On the plus side, they're not bound!

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Curious - when you say "so much exp", are you referring strictly to the quests? I've been doing daily/weekly and it's good exp. Had not been playing serial warzone after warzone, though.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Nipponophile posted:

Hoo boy, this snowball thing is going to be a bit tedious. 15 second cooldown on the item, and I was getting one parcel about every 15-20 throws. Definitely something to do while doing something else. On the plus side, they're not bound!

What snowball thing?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

Like say, raiding?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

What the hell, I might as well join up, even if I'm in Euro time. I'd love a TNG invite, and I'll be around later in the evening to try to catch someone online. I'm in-game on my operative "Dronu".

How are operatives for a healing build? I'm still torn between full healing or going towards the lethality tree.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Vriess posted:

Clusters and other lock-ons tend to make people freak out and enter evasive maneuvers. They hear the lock-on as well, so they'll use signal dampeners, thrusters, barrel-rolls, and everything they have to avoid it.

So I use rocket-pods. I've upgraded to 40 rockets, and I have focused on being accurate with my rapid/quad blasters, and when I've got a good lead on a target, dual firing blasters with rocket pods. Ships go down fast.

I just fly the scout and I've upgraded rockets and sensor range or whatever that makes me harder to detect. I usually split my time between chasing people off the capture points and actively hunting down gunships.

The one thing I learned that helped is to smash 'S' when in a fight and alternate that with boost to keep them in range of lasers.

Generally if you're after someone and they start taking damage they'll boost straight, or initiate their special move. If I'm already going slower to track them I can quickly follow them through the barrel roll or whatever they did and if they boost a tap to the space bar will keep me firing. Playing with your mouse sensitivity helps too, I noticed I would over shoot their reticle a lot when dogfighting, lowering it helped.

With GSF over all the game play is getting pretty stale fast, there's not a lot of depth to flying or the ships like in lets say War Thunder or something similar, and it in no way compares to 'Jump to Lightspeed' stuff. Why cant I have a new X-wing/Tie Fighter game ... :(

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Operative healers are good, but they're (in my experience) not as versatile as other healers. Like I'd definitely bring ONE on an operation, but there are other healers better suited to handle things operatives can't. Operatives are kind of like resto Druids, they excel at HoTs but are not the best at area healing or triage.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
FYI, you can get snowy parcels off any target you can hit. This includes enemies and companions. You can remove the buff from companions.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Thumbtacks posted:

Operative healers are good, but they're (in my experience) not as versatile as other healers. Like I'd definitely bring ONE on an operation, but there are other healers better suited to handle things operatives can't. Operatives are kind of like resto Druids, they excel at HoTs but are not the best at area healing or triage.
Uhhh what? They're pretty much the best healers in the game at the moment because of the raw HPS they can push. The only drawback is they lack a bit of utility cause BATTLE RES SHARED CD.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 17, 2013

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

FYI, you can get snowy parcels off any target you can hit. This includes enemies and companions. You can remove the buff from companions.

so if you want 100 packages, given a drop rate of 15%, you have to do this 666 times (100 packages/.15 procs per trial). That would take you 15 sec CD*666 times/(60*60) = 2.78 hours to complete if that's all you were doing. Maybe less maybe more depending on RNG. also number of the beast on xmas lol, bioware confirmed for satanic imp sith.

neurotic fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 17, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It's definitely less than that. I got about 25 in a couple hours this morning while doing some other stuff. My earlier guess at the drop rate was skewed because the RNG seems to be really streaky. Almost right after I posted that, I had 4 out of my next 5 snowballs drop presents.

e: OK, caught your edit. That sounds more likely than 40+.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

:haw: It jingles as you drive!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

neurotic posted:

so if you want 100 packages, given a drop rate of 15%, you have to do this 666 times (100 packages/.15 procs per trial). That would take you 15 sec CD*666 times/(60*60) = 2.78 hours to complete if that's all you were doing. Maybe less maybe more depending on RNG. also number of the beast on xmas lol, bioware confirmed for satanic imp sith.

You can do it while doing literally anything else if you remember to. Flashpoints or ops? You can throw them at mobs. Solo content? Companions or mobs. Dicking around with datacrons? Companions. It's easy and I've gotten nearly 25 without even trying! It's grindy and boring, but at least you can multitask.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess I'll just swap in snow ball in place of discharge when tanking.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Can you get enough rep/tokens to be able to buy gree weapons from scratch before the event's over?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Thumbtacks posted:

Can you get enough rep/tokens to be able to buy gree weapons from scratch before the event's over?

I think you can get 21 helices per toon per week if you grind everything, so depends on what you want. Dulfy had a guide a while back showing how to max rep etc., but it's pretty doable. Also worth noting that the vendors stay even after the event.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So, let me set the stage...

Picture yourself tooling around the Gree event area. You've got your PVP flag turned on because why the hell not, but you just can't seem to find anyone to fight. All those <other faction> people are jerks who don't want to have a good old scrap like you do, am I right?

In fact, here comes one now... He's running around collecting Gree parts or whatever the hell, secure in the knowledge that his blue nameplate will protect him from your righteous wrath. You catch his attention with a jaunty /wave or other emote of your choice, and he pulls closer, curious. You fire up the old snowball maker and let him have it with a dusting of snowflakes...

Naturally, this fellow's not just going to sit there and let that slight go unanswered. Why, he immediately returns fire with a snowball of his own!

His name turns red...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

tl;dr: If you are PVP flagged and someone of the opposite faction hits you with a snowball, IT WILL FLAG THEM.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So in your guys opinion, which class is more fun. The Sith Warrior, or the Sith Assassin?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

jadebullet posted:

So in your guys opinion, which class is more fun. The Sith Warrior, or the Sith Assassin?

Warrior story is better, IMO. Not too sure about the classes, to be honest.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
Yeah. "Fun" is pretty subjective, but the SW story is pretty good (probably my 2nd favorite after Agent) and both advanced classes have some cool abilities and animations, while both being pretty effective at their respective roles.

I really don't know much about the Inquisitor/Assassin story (my highest of that class is level 14 or 17 or something) but I've heard that it's pretty "meh" overall. Apparently Assassins got "buffed" this patch, but I still hear a lot of bellyaching about them being kind of poo poo outside of PvP (and some bitching about that too).

Ultimately my advice would be to level up both for a while and stick with the fun that feels better for you. This advice also applies to literally every class in every MMO ever present, past, and future.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

jymbojones posted:

Yeah. "Fun" is pretty subjective, but the SW story is pretty good (probably my 2nd favorite after Agent) and both advanced classes have some cool abilities and animations, while both being pretty effective at their respective roles.

I really don't know much about the Inquisitor/Assassin story (my highest of that class is level 14 or 17 or something) but I've heard that it's pretty "meh" overall. Apparently Assassins got "buffed" this patch, but I still hear a lot of bellyaching about them being kind of poo poo outside of PvP (and some bitching about that too).

Ultimately my advice would be to level up both for a while and stick with the fun that feels better for you. This advice also applies to literally every class in every MMO ever present, past, and future.

The Inquisitor story is basically I DESERVE THIS POWER -> GIVE ME MY POWER -> THIS ISN'T ENOUGH POWER.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

So... many.... snowballs....

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Thumbtacks posted:

The Inquisitor story is basically I DESERVE THIS POWER -> GIVE ME MY POWER -> THIS ISN'T ENOUGH POWER.

Also, many conversation responses (including some like a bartender saying 'What can I get you?') go like this:

1 - Some vaguely menacing statement
2 - Some outright promise of death
3 - [Shock him]

The story is kinda funny, and the fate of your initial master, Lord Zash, is funny as hell. You can play the SI as a full on, Joker style psycho, or a smooth, affably evil type. Also, the story line chapters actually link together, unlike, say, Trooper. I liked playing SI, where as I had to sit and think about how the BH storyline ended, despite having enjoyed it while playing it, and enjoying the powertech tank playstyle.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've never gotten a character higher than the mid-twenties since playing off and on since launch, and I'm definitely enjoying Imperial Agent the most. Sith Inquisitor is fun enough for a bit, at first, playing a curling-mustachio'd comic book villain, but it got old in the teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Joker-style psychopath SI is the best. It's the only character I've ever had the desire to go full dark side on.

• Locked thread